Norrona ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norrona ferry
|Year built||2003 / Age : 16|
|Flag state||Faroe Islands|
|Builder||Flender Werft (Lübeck, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Hirtshals-Seydisfjordur, Hirtshals-Torshavn|
|Building cost||EUR 95 million|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||166 m / 545 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||35966 gt|
|Decks with cabins||4|
Review of Norrona ferry
MS Norrona ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the company SMYRIL LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 1482 passengers and 800 cars (or 130 trucks/trailers). The vessel was launched in 2003 and currently operates on the Denmark-Faroes-Iceland ferry route between Hirtshals-Torshavn-Seydisfjordur. Crossing time between Hirtshals and Torshavn is 38 hours (during winter months) and 30 hours (during summer). The onwards crossing to Seydisfjordur takes another 15 hours, excluding the layover in Torshavn (only during summer).
As cruise ferry, Norrona has a total of 318 cabins with 1012 berths (beds). All staterooms are air-conditioned and most are with en-suite bathrooms (washbasin, WC, shower) - excepting only the Couchettes on Deck 2 (with shared facilities). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Staterooms are outside and inside (without window).
All outside cabins have a minibar (fridge) with cold beverages and snacks (all at extra cost). Inside cabins are with a wall-mounted small table. All staterooms as amenities offer writing table with chair, wardrobe, bedding, bedside lamps, flat TV, 240 V power outlet.
- One Suite (Deck 7 starboard) has separate bedroom (King-size double bed, bedside cabinets with 2 drawers), living room (L-shaped sofa, 2 armchairs, low table, bowl with fruits), 2 flat TVs (living room and bedroom), phone, large bathroom (double-sink vanity, bathtub, shower, WC). Suite's minibar is complimentary and has 2 bottles of water (Aqua D'or), 2 beer cans, 2 soda cans, 1 chocolate bar, 1 KiMs Snack Chips (minibag).
- Outside Family Cabins are 2 rooms (with connecting door) and offer 1 double bed (120 cm wide) plus 4 beds (2 of which sofabeds).
- Deluxe Cabins (2-4 passengers) are also perfect for families with kids and have 1 double bed (160x200 cm) plus 1 sofabed (130x210 cm). Deluxe cabin's minibar is complimentary and has 2 bottles of water (Aqua D'or), 2 beer cans, 2 soda cans, 1 chocolate bar, 1 KiMs Snack Chips (minibag).
- 4-Berth Cabins (inside or outside) have 2 sofabeds and can be booked for 3 or 4 people.
- 12x Double Bed Cabins (outside) are located on Deck 7 and feature a flat TV and double bed (140x200 cm).
- 4-Berth Shared Cabins (inside) are divided into male/female and fitted with 4 bunk beds (2 lower + 2 upper folding beds). 4-Bed insides can be also booked as single cabins.
- Couchettes are ship's economy cabins located on Deck 2. These cabins are gender specific (men/women), each fitted with 6 bunk beds. Cabin capacity is 1-6 passengers. Bathrooms are outside and shared (separate showers and toilets). Shared couchette ticket prices are inclusive of 2 breakfasts or lunches (at The Diner, on crossings to Iceland) or 1 breakfast or lunch (at The Diner, on crossings to Faroes). Couchette prices don't include linens and luggage locker (both available at extra cost).
- Wheelchair-accessible cabins (for disabled and reduced mobility passengers) are located on Decks 5 and 6. Handicap cabins are outside (with window) and accommodate 2-3-4 people.
- The ship additionally has reclining seats (aircraft-type recliners) available for pre-booking in Reserved Seating Lounge.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Norrona ship offers:
- (Spa Deck 1) Swimming Pool, Sauna Room, Fitness (Gym Room)
- (Lobby Deck 5) Reception Desk, Tax-Free Shop, Naust Bar, Kids Room (Indoor Playground), Cinema, The Diner (restaurant)
- (Dining Deck 6) Norrona Buffet, Gourmet Restaurant, Simmer Dim Steakhouse
- (Lido Deck 7) Navigation Bridge, Hot Tubs, Teen Room, Conference Room, Pet area
- Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception on Deck 5)
- (Sun Deck 8) Sky Bar, FIFA Pitch (sports course/football field), Helideck (helipad) - helicopter landing platform used in cases of emergency.
- Luggage lockers are available on decks 2 and 7, are in two sizes - large (88-60-40 cm) and small (78-40-30 cm) - and cost every time the box is opened.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Garage decks (for cars and trucks) are decks 2-3-4. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Smyril Line (founded in 1983, headquartered in Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands) is a cargo-passenger shipping company linking Faroes with Iceland and Denmark. Company's major shareholders are Framtaksgrunnur Foroya (Development Trust), Faroe Islands Government, TF Holding (Luxembourg-based financial corporation) and Shetlands Development Trust. Smyril Line's cargo division operates 3 freight carriers. Containerized cargo is also shipped on MS Norrona (max capacity 3250 tons).
Norrona ferry wiki
Ship's power is 22,4 MW (diesel engines) and 3,5 MW (propulsion / bow thrusters). The vessel has 2 stabilizers. Max draft is 6,3 m (21 ft). Safety equipment includes 4 lifeboats and the latest marine systems for fire prevention, fire fighting, and evacuation. Safety instructions and evacuation procedures are listed on all cabin doors, as well as in staterooms and all public areas.
Cargo capacity is 3250 tons (1830 lane meters).
Ferry's maiden voyage was in April 2003. During winter months, the crew is reduced to 20-25, and the ferry is operated more like a container ship. In very bad weather in the Faroe Islands, instead of Tórshavn, the ship may alternatively dock at Klaksvík (Bordoy) or Runavík (Eysturoy).