Port Louis cruise port is located on the Mauritius Island. It is in the western Indian Ocean, 500 nautical miles from Madagascar, direction East. The port city covers a total area of approx 46.7 km2 (18 ml2) and has a population of around 149,200 inhabitants (2015 census). It has a deep harbour and is surrounded by mountains.
- Port Louis is the capital of Mauritius, situated in Port Louis District. Its western part also lies in Black River District. Port Louis is the economic, political, cultural centre of the country and its most populous city. It is administered by Municipal City Council of Port Louis.
- The access to Port Louis cruise port is through a break in a coral reef. The city has plenty of entertainment and activities options. The island is the home of the famous Mauritian bird Dodo which became extinct during Dutch occupation. Tourists are also attracted by the rich cultural heritage. Port Louis has 5 districts – Islamic, Hindu, Chinese, Creole and Christian.
- The economy of Port Louis is mostly dominated by the financial centre, tourism, port facilities, and the manufacturing sector including textiles, plastics, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. Port Louis is also home to the largest port facility in the Indian Ocean region as well as one of the major financial centers in Africa.
- The city has numerous monuments and buildings which reflect its diverse and rich colonial history. Close to the city center, there are a number of French colonial buildings dating back to the 18th century, of which the Government House. Other traditional elements include Jummah Mosque, the English Saint James Cathedral, Indian Tamil Temple, the 5-tier colonial Port Louis Theatre, Champ de Mars Racecourse, and the Chinese Pagoda.
Highlights: Markets, Tree Gardens, extinct volcano
Port Louis cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Mauritius Island dock (anchor) at Port Louis - port town on the northwestern coast.
Port Louis cruise port terminal is the first and only one that can accommodate the largest cruise ships in the world. The new Christian Decotter Cruise Terminal was recently open and has already won the Most Improved Cruise Terminal Facility award in 2010. The award was given at the 26th Annual Cruise Shipping Miami conference and exhibition.
In 2011, Port Louis cruise port terminal received the Indian Ocean’s Leading Cruise Port award. It was given at the World Travel Awards ceremony in Charm El Cheik (Egypt).
The Christian Decotter Cruise Terminal offers two access bridges for cruisers and vehicles. Future plan includes a walkway to the city heart. The security system consists of surveillance system (cameras are used all over) and access control at the gates of the fencing areas. In front Port Louis cruise port terminal there are parking areas for private vehicles and taxis.
The International Airport of Mauritius (Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport) is two hours by car from Christian Decotter Cruise Terminal. The airport offers British Airways, Lufthansa Airlines and Emirates Airlines flights to Africa, North America and Europe.
Port Louis tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Beaches: they are stunning! You spend amazing time enjoying the beauty of the coral reefs, the endless sun and the perfect sand. If you have more time, visit the ” must-see” Pereybere Cove. It is located 12 km from Port Louis cruise port, direction North. Near the beach is the popular water sport area Grand Bay. Another amazing white sand beach is the Flic en Flac. It is located 12 km from Port Louis cruise port, direction south.
- Place d’Armes: the square is not far from Port Louis cruise port terminal and houses original buildings such as museums, churches, government houses and the famous Mahé de Labourdonnais statue.
- Fort Adelaide: it was built in the middle 1800s by the British and now is one of the four not ruined forts. You can take an amazing city view from its citadel.
- Museums: close to the market is the Natural History Museum. There you can see extinct dodo replica. In the Mauritius Postal Museum there are assorted philately and collection of rare stamps.
- Black River George: main attraction for the island, must see if you have enough time. The park area spreads over more than 6,500 hectares and is located in the south of Mauritius.
The Port Louis cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Port Louis, Mauritius Island.
If you lose the Port Louis location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Port Louis cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Port Louis, Mauritius Island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
31 December, 2017
3 January, 2018
5 January, 2018
6 January, 2018
12 January, 2018
13 January, 2018
16 January, 2018
18 January, 2018
19 January, 2018
20 January, 2018
23 January, 2018
26 January, 2018
27 January, 2018