Fred Olsen fleet
Review of Fred Olsen
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is a Norwegian-owned, UK-based cruise shipping line with four ships, part of the Fred. Olsen Group. The headquarters of the company are in Ipswich, Suffolk, the UK, and it is owned by Bonheur and Ganger Rolf.
The company of Fred Olsen originated in 1848 in Hvitsten, a little town on Oslofjord, Norway, by three Olsen brothers, Petter, Andras and Fredrik Christian, who bought their first ships and established an international shipping company. Today the line is into the 5th generation of the family and operates companies skilled within cruise and passenger shipping trade, ships' crewing, ship building, aviation and offshore industries. The Fred. Olsen group also has business interests in the property development, estate management, luxury hotel sector and electronics companies.
The ships of the Fred Olsen company are attractive with nice bars and lounges, smartly furnished cabins and deluxe restaurants. The airy public areas provide excellent places to read an interesting book and have a drink while relaxing and watching the world go by. The daily activities, uncrowded pool areas, exotic spas, help you enjoy your cruise holiday on a Fred. Olsen ship.
The itineraries include sailings from different British ports, which makes them ideal for single travelers or couples, whatever the season. The policy of the line to include different British embarkation ports, does not mean that they do not offer cruise holidays all over the globe - to Africa, the Caribbean, Australasia, North and South America.
Not everyone craves to have countless numbers of on board activities and to be on the same ship with thousands of other people. Sometimes people just need a cruise holiday to relax in comfort and quiet. Being on Fred. Olsen cruise liners is what you really need from cruise holidays - relaxation and chance to discover new places around the world. You also have better chances of bonding with fellows on board - this usually happens only on smaller liners. The intimate setting on these cruise liners allows you go at own pace while providing all services and amenities you need. The company had to alter some regulations on board. For example, smoking is now banned in indoor areas, but there are outside permitted sections.
Owing to the cheap price of these deals, more people can afford to sail. This way companies like Fred Olsen are the most welcoming, giving you chance to meet new people and explore new places in times when passenger ships become larger and more distant to ordinary people.
- Fred Olsen Lines purchased a new ship in May 2006 - Norwegian Crown, bought from Norwegian Cruise Line. In November 2007 the vessel was dry-docked for lengthening and refurbishment, with pre-built forty metre added centre section. Then the ship was renamed Balmoral, entering service in 2008. This fact was followed in the summer of 2008 by the extension of Braemar - adding a new centre section with new public rooms and cabins. Thus the size of the vessel was increased from 19,000 grt to 24,000 grt.
- Fred Olsen lines provide traditional cruising with unhurried on board ambience - this is the main reason why they are the best choice for cruise holiday passengers. The four stylish ships of the company offer a variety of itineraries of different duration - from a few days on European mini-cruises to round the world voyages including the most spectacular destinations in the world.
Itinerary of Fred Olsen
The ships of the Fred Olsen company are based in Britain during most of the year, with cruises departing from Dover, Southampton, Rosyth (for Edinburgh), Liverpool, Greenock (for Glasgow), Newcastle and Portsmouth. The Braemar’s winter Caribbean fly cruise program operates from Barbados, and provides connecting flights from Manchester and London Gatwick.
Itineraries range from areas that are quite popular, as the Baltic, Canaries, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Norway, to longer cruise routes - ‘Around the World’ and ‘Around South America’. The list of destinations operated by Fred Olsen ships includes the Adriatic, Africa, Canary Islands, Transatlantic, Canada/New England, Northern Europe/UK ((Around Britain/British Isles, Iceland), South America, the US. One of the most British cruise companies, the Fred Olsen fleet consists of smaller size cruise ships - weight/tonnage from 11,000 to 43,000 GRT.
Fred Olsen cruise itinerary changes
Fred Olsen cruise line adds a South Africa itinerary program on the Boudicca ship in 2018. The new program will be operated with UK to South Africa fly-cruise deals. The Boudicca's cruise fares will be inclusive of flights from London (or Manchester) to Cape Town (departure port). The 14-night round-trip itinerary includes overnight stays in Port Elizabeth, Richards Bay and Durban. The 3-night stay in Cape Town offers as tour options Scale Table Mountain (cable car ride), wine tours (Stellenbosch, Constantia), Camps Bay strolling, visiting the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront complex and the Newlands (cricket ground), Cape Town Harley Davidson bike tour, boating, shark diving, whales-dolphins watching.
- mv Balmoral (1988) - UK/British isles, Baltic Sea (Russia-Scandinavia and Norwegian Fjords) and Canary Islands leaving out of Newcastle (home-port), also from Dover and Southampton (home-port) including on Transatlantic round-trip cruises to South America. In 2018-2019, Fred. Olsen Cruises’ 1,350-passenger flagship Balmoral will be sailing out of Edinburgh (Rosyth) for the first time ever, with a total of 9 cruises. Holidays on offer, from May through July, include a 5-night ‘Norwegian Fjords’ departure, 14-night ‘Scandinavia & St. Petersburg’ Baltic discovery, and a 9-night ‘German Waterways’ experience.
- ms Black Watch (1972) - World Cruise from Southampton, Northern Europe (Norway Fjords, Russia and Scandinavia) leaving from England (Dover, home-port) and Scotland (Edinburgh, home-port), also from London
- ms Boudicca (1972) - UK/British Isles, Azores and Madeira, Mediterranean leaving from Liverpool (home-port), World Cruise round-trip from Southampton to Caribbean and South America. Select departures from Greenock-Glasgow and Belfast are also available.
- ms Braemar (1993) - Baltic Sea (Russia and Scandinavia, Norway Fjords), France (Atlantic Coast ports), Canary Islands and Eastern Mediterranean out of Southampton (home-port). During winter season offers Caribbean cruises out of Barbados.
Fred Olsen line also offers an all-inclusive cruise package upgrade (additional fixed price PP per day) and UK fly cruise deals to Canary Islands (year-round discounted airfare from Southampton, England).
Fred Olsen related cruise news
In 2018-2019, Fred. Olsen Cruises’ 1,350-passenger flagship Balmoral will be sailing out of Edinburgh (Rosyth) for the first time...March 22, 2017
The UK based operator of four ships, Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, is looking at newbuilds. Fred Olsen Junior was quoted saying: “Just...March 3, 2017
Fred Olsen is the latest cruise line to offer cut price deals to clients of failed All Leisure Group cruise brands Voyages of Discovery and Swan...January 8, 2017
For the very first time, Fred Olsen is offering passengers the chance to experience the famous Mardi Gras on an epic adventure of the Caribbean...December 30, 2016
Guests wishing to book a one-night UK ‘Taster Cruise’ with Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines in 2017 can do so without having to take out Cruise...December 15, 2016
Fred Olsen claims to be removing any barriers for single travelers as part of line's New Year peak booking season sale. Single supplements are...December 6, 2016
Fred Olsen is offering its passengers the chance to explore the fjords of the Arctic on an epic 27-night voyage to Norway, Spitsbergen, Iceland...November 8, 2016
Saga Cruises is currently offering first-timer cruise passengers early flights home as well as a refund of the cruise fare to anyone who doesn't...October 25, 2016
Cabins and public areas of Fred Olsen’s ship Black Watch are scheduled for revamp as part of a multi-million pound renovation. A brand new...October 24, 2016
The 170th anniversary of the beginnings of Fred Olsen in shipping industry is to be marked with a special event in Spain 2018. Fred Olsen Cruise...September 22, 2016
- show more news