Katakolon is a port city located in Pyrgos municipality, western Elis, Greece. The city has a population of around 500 inhabitants (2011 census).
- Katakolon is situated on headland that is overlooking Ionian Sea and separating Gulf of Kyparissia from the rest of Ionian. It lies 11 km (6.8 ml) west of Pyrgos. The village of Agios Andreas lies northwest of Katakolon In ancient times it was the natural harbour for Olympia. A railway links Katakolon with Pyrgos and Olympia.
- During the Middle Ages, Katakolon was the site of the Pontikon (Pontikokastro) fortress, which the Frankish rulers of Principality of Achaea named Beauvoir (Belveder). The fortress was erected by the Byzantines and taken over by Franks circa 1205.
- The port of Katakolon is a popular stop for cruise ships and offers passengers the chance to visit the site of Olympia. Katakolo is surrounded by low hills with forests. Visitors can also visit the sunken ancient city of Pheia. It was on the other side of Ichthys mountain, now Agios Andreas, located within walking distance of port Katakolon.
- The lighthouse of Katakolon was constructed in 1865. One of the major sites of Katakolon is the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology.
- The Greek and Worldwide Mythology Park was established in 2017. It lies in Katakolo square, where visitors can see mythical monsters such as Cerberus, Chimaera, Centaur and Minotaurus, and has the form of labyrinth.
- The remains of medieval Pontikokastro (Beauvoir) castle stand on a hilltop northeast of the port, but the castle is mostly ruined.
Katakolon cruise terminal
Katakolon cruise port terminal in the the town, the center is within 10 minutes walking distance. The closest airports are Zakynthos Airport (2 hours away) and Kalamata Airport.
Katakolon cruise port terminal is at Ayos Andreas Pier. It can accommodate smaller cruise ships. Larger cruise vessels anchor and the passengers are tendered ashore by boats.
The terminal building of Katakolon cruise port is two-story and offers security and administrative facilities. There is a duty free shop at the dock. If you want more shops, cafes and restaurants, there are in a short walk. The closest beach is Plakes Beach (Renata Beach).
The best way to explore the town is walking. If you prefer, you can rent a car. Avis office is located close to Katakolon cruise port terminal. There are taxis but you should bargain the price.
It you prefer train, the station is 15-minutes away from Katakolon cruise port terminal. The trip to Olympia is 45-minute.
Katakolon tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Katakolon: the town is small, you can relax really well. There are good places to eat, to buy some souvenirs or jewelery. You can also visit the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology. It is always open when a cruise ship arrives.
- Beaches: the town has several nice beaches. They all are within walking distance from the cruise port. Other famous in the area are Aghios Andreas Beach (3 km from Katakolon cruise port), Kourouta Beach (20 km from Katakolon cruise port) and Zacharo Beach (42 km from Katakolon cruise port).
- Olympia: located 34 km from Katakolon cruise port. The place is the most famous site that tells the history of the Greeks. This is the place, where the Olympic games began (back in 776 BCE). Most of the site was built during the Classical period (5th-4th centuries BCE). The attraction with top popularity is the Temple of Zeus.
- Mercouri Estate Winery: located 4 km from Katakolon cruise port. It works for the last 150 years. The wines produces there are among the most renowned in Greece. Popular are the red Ktima Mercouri (dominates the Refosco blend) and the white Foloi.
The Katakolon cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Katakolon, Olympia, Greece.
If you lose the Katakolon location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Katakolon cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Katakolon, Olympia, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 January, 2018
25 January, 2018