Contemporary lines quickly react to increased search and have moved to offer healthy cruise food options onboard their vessels.
No doubt, food on cruise ships is of great importance. When you're onboard you rely mainly on ship’s culinary team to keep you satisfied, happy, and filled with nutritious meals to get you moving on exciting hiking, snorkeling, or sightseeing excursions. For those who have chosen the meat-free style of life, or who medically have to stay away from high in fat foods, cruise food used to be challenging. However, like rest of the culinary world, cruise lines are now evolving to accommodate passengers with a variety of healthy cruise food options.
The following survey is integrated with Staying Healthy on Cruise Vacation.
The Newest Healthy Cruise Food Options
- A good example is Celebrity Cruises. They offer “Lean and Light” menu options on line's lunch and dinner menu. Their healty cruise food has been developed to face recommendations for less than 30% calories from fat, set by American Cancer Society and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Some items on the menu are tender steamed vegetables, rack of veal, and special desserts as pear and ginger frozen yogurt.
Starting last spring, Celebrity Cruises have integrated on their ships SPE Certified options, beginning with the newest - Celebrity Reflection ship. SPE company certifies healthy restaurant menus' options. They examine nutrition, taste, portion size together with seasonality and sustainability. So far 60 Celebrity dishes have already received SPE certification.
- Norwegian Cruise Line has beenin partership with Cooking Light magazine for over a decade to feature some of its healthy lifestyle recipes on NCL menus.
- Royal Caribbean features “Vitality” menu, which offers three courses of less than 800 calories. One example is their double-cut slow-roasted pork loin steak with only 298 calories.
- Major cruise lines also provide vegetarian and vegan cruise food options on their menu. Holland America was the first to announce in 2012 its vegetarian-only menu which also offers vegan meals and is available for lunch or dinner to passengers dining in main dining room. After advertising the menu, HAL also added 30 new vegetarian dishes to the main menus, and more vegetarian options to Lido deck lunch buffet.
- The latest frontier concerning healthy cruise ship meals are spa menus which offer lighter fare meant to not only pamper taste buds but renew body. Oceania, Cunard, and the luxury Regent Seven Seas, have Canyon Ranch menus. Canyon Ranch is recognized worldwide health retreat brand and provides exclusive spa services onboard. Their healthy cruise food menu items deliver balanced meals which offer fiber and protein power.
Can you imagine a cruise line in future to only offer healthy cruise food options? And if it existed, would you like it, or you only see your cruise time as to indulge without thinking about calories or nutrition in food on cruise ships? Times are changing constantly and during the last decades the healthy lifestile is becoming more actual and chic. But who knows?