Star Legend Review and Specifications
Specifications of Star Legend
|Year built||1992 / Age : 26|
|Builder||Schichau Seebeckwerft (Bremerhaven, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 87 million|
|Owner||Xanterra Parks & Resorts Inc|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||9961 gt|
|Passengers||212 - 254|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||Seabourn Legend, Queen Odyssey, Royal Viking Queen|
|Christened by||Gloria Bohan|
Current itinerary of Star Legend
Star Legend current cruise is 27 days, one-way from Vancouver to Tokyo. The itinerary starts on 30 Aug, 2018 and ends on 26 Sep, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|30 Aug||Departing from Vancouver, BC Canada|
|01 Sep 13:00 - 22:00||Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska|
|03 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Wrangell, Alaska|
|04 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska|
|05 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska|
|06 Sep 06:00 - 20:00||Haines, Alaska|
|07 Sep 07:00 - 15:00||Juneau, Alaska|
|10 Sep 07:00 - 20:00||Seward, Alaska|
|11 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Homer, Alaska|
|12 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Kodiak Island, Alaska|
|14 Sep 07:00 - 14:00||Sand Point, Popof Island, Alaska|
|15 Sep 12:00 - 18:00||Dutch Harbor, Unalaska|
|23 Sep 09:00 - 16:00||Kushiro, Japan|
|24 Sep 12:00 - 18:00||Miyakojima Island, Japan|
|26 Sep||Arriving in Tokyo, Japan|
Review of Star Legend
Launched in 1992 (as Royal Viking Queen) and bought as "Seabourn Legend", Star Legend cruise ship is the third and last of all three identical Windstar yachts - together with Star Pride (ex-Seabourn Pride) and Star Breeze (ex-Seabourn Spirit).
History - construction and ownership
Windstar Cruises is a luxury brand operating a fleet of smaller-sized ships (mega-yachts) with capacity up to 310 passengers. The company call at 150 ports throughout Caribbean, Central America, South Pacific, Asia, Europe. Currently, Windstar is a subsidiary of Xanterra Parks and Resorts (USA's largest national and state park concession management company).
The 9,961-ton, 212-passenger cruise ship Star Legend was constructed in Bremerhaven, Germany by Schichau-Seebeckwerft and put into service in February 1992 for Kloster Cruise. Seabourn Legend was originally Royal Viking Queen, operated for Royal Viking Line on various crossings. In 1995 her name was changed (after assigned to Royal Cruise Line) to Queen Odyssey. Until January 1996, she was operating for Royal Cruise Line, when sold to Seabourn Cruise Line and joined her sister ships as Seabourn Legend. In April 2015 she departed Seabourn fleet, and later in May became a member of Windstar Cruises fleet.
An interesting fact is that Seabourn Legend cruise ship was featured in the film Speed 2: Cruise Control, in 1997. In the movie, Alex Shaw (Jason Patric) – LAPD Police Officer, and Annie Porter (Sandra Bullock), were trapped on the vessel, where navigation computers had been reprogrammed by computer hacker (Willem Dafoe), who had set the ship on collision course with supertanker.
Cruise itinerary program
Star Legend itinerary program is based on luxury Mediterranean cruises with departures from France, Italy and Spain. In Northern Europe, Windstar Legend ship cruises in the Baltic on Norwegian Fjords itineraries and to Iceland leaving from Denmark and UK.
In November 2016 Windstar Cruises announced that it returns to Asia for the first time in 3 years, sending to the region Star Legend in winter 2017-2018. The luxury yacht-style vessel will sail throughout Asia, from Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore to South Korea and Japan.
Beginning 2018, the cruise line will base Star Legend in Vancouver. There, the ship will operate 3 distinctive itineraries from May through August, including 11 and 12-day voyages from Vancouver to Seward; 14-day sailings from Seward to Vancouver; and a couple of 12-day cruises leaving roundtrip from Vancouver. The line plans to offer pre-and-post cruise land extensions.
All Star Legend staterooms are comfortable and sedate suites with luxury linens, stocked mini-bar, Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, fresh fruit and flowers. There are a total of 106 staterooms in 8 categories. The largest aboard Star Legend are the Owner’s Suites (575 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
A major Star Legend plus is the wide variety of eating options for such a small ship. Star Legend guests may choose from various inclusive dining options – AmphorA Restaurant, Yacht Club, Sky Bar & Grill. Windstar travelers usually like to dress up. There are 2 formal nights on weeklong cruises and 3 on 14-day voyages. On these nights, a lot of the men wear tuxedos. Women wear luxury cocktail dresses or ball gowns. Other nights are casually stylish (jacket for men, but tie optional; nice outfit for women), or casual (no jacket for men; sundress or slacks for women). For those who do not like formal nights, the Veranda Cafe offers a casually stylish alternative.
Follows the complete list of Star Legend restaurants and food bars.
- AmphorA Restaurant (ship’s dining room, open-seating; offers 5-course gourmet dinner menu which is changed daily; along with onboard-made breads, in all ports of call the executive chef goes to the local markets to shop for fresh ingredients)
- Candles Cafe & Veranda (a smaller “dining room” which offers buffet-style breakfast and lunch, as well as a la carte menu through the wait staff; its indoor area is called “Candles Cafe” and features floor-ceiling panoramic windows; the outdoor seating area is called “Veranda” - in the evenings, it transformes into “Candles Grill” al-fresco steakhouse)
- Sky Bar & Grill / Star Bar (serves the top deck open-air area).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Activities on board Star Legend are very limited and range from food market purchases to performances by local musicians. Public areas include the casino, library, computer center, WindSpa, fitness center, pool and three whirlpool tubs.
Follows the complete list of Star Legend lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Marina (retractable water sports platform for water skiing, wind surfing, snorkeling, kayaking; the ship provides water rafts, wakeboards, paddle boards and a water trampoline island; the steel cage forms a swimming pool in the sea)
- A Whirlpool (with sunbathing area and lounge chairs)
- Card Room (bridge and board games); Library
- Computer Center (discount Internet packages and rates per minute)
- Lounge (ship’s theater/main show lounge for live evening entertainment)
- The Boutique Shop (sells duty-free luxury fashion clothing and accessories)
- The Casino (with blackjack/roulette gambling tables, slot machines)
- Compass Rose (ship’s social lounge with its own bar and grand piano)
- The Wellness Centre (Spa, Gym and Beauty Salon; The WindSpa has treatment rooms, Saunas, Steam Rooms; operated by Steiner)
- The Fitness Center (with floor-ceiling windows; has free weights, treadmills, elliptical machines; offers complimentary excercise classes)
- Pool Area (with one rectangular swimming pool, two whirlpools on platforms and a 3rd whirlpool at the ship’s bow, sunbathing and shaded areas)
- The Yacht Club (Constellation Lounge with floor-ceiling windows for 270-degree views)
- The Sun Deck (with luxury lounge chairs).
Star Legend wiki
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 106 (all of which Suites, 42 Balcony, 64 Oceanview)
- Dining Rooms: AmphorA Restaurant (MDR, open-seating).
- Restaurants and food bars: Candles Cafe & Veranda (buffet-style breakfast and lunch; a la carte menu with waiter service), Star Bar (bar & grill).
- Lounges & Bars: Compass Rose (lounge & bar with live music), The Lounge (Theater), Veranda, Yacht Club, Card Room.
- WindSpa, Fitness Center, Pool, Whirlpools (3), Watersports Platform, Casino, Computer Center, Library, Boutique Shop, Reception, The Bridge (Windstar's "Open Bridge" Policy), complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service.
- Star Legend cruise ship was operated by the Seabourn line as Seabourn Legend. Her Windstar fleetmates and sister ships are Star Breeze and Star Pride.
- Seabourn Legend was initially built for and owned by Kloster Cruise, operated by its subsidiary Royal Viking Line under the name Royal Viking Queen. In 1995, Kloster Cruise transferred the vessel to their other subsidiary Royal Cruise Line, and renamed it to Queen Odyssey. In 1996, the ship was purchased by Seabourn Cruises. Seabourn Legend entered Windstar's fleet in April 2015 (in active service since May 2015).
- Star Legend's godmother is Gloria Bohan (CEO of the "Omega World Travel" agency (corporate travel management, business meetings, events at sea). The christening ceremony was held on May 25, 2015, in port Civitavecchia (Rome). The ship's refit and refurbishment was done in Genoa Italy in a 3-week drydock. The renovation project cost USD 8,5 million and included stern-to-bow refit, expansion of Veranda Cafe and Star Deck, adding Yacht Club, new resistance swimming / infinity pool, whirlpool.
- Fun fact is, that Seabourn Legend ship was the background in the "Speed 2" movie. Annie Porter (Sandra Bullock) and her boyfriend Alex Shaw (Jason Patric) LAPD Police Officer are trapped onboard while all navigation computers have been hacked by the criminal mind John Geiger (Willem Dafoe) setting the Seabourn Legend ship on a collision course with a pretty large tanker.
- During ship's week-long drydock refurbishment 2017 December (done in Singapore) was installed Transas A-Suite (e-navigation system) and Navi-Radar 4000 (by DP Marine) with incorporated JRC sensors. The system consists of 2 radars (X-band and S-band), Dual ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display and Information) system, K-Nav ECDIS (route planning station (by Kongsberg Maritime) and PilotStar NX (autopilot by Anschutz). Also were modified all consoles and the ship's antenna.
Star Legend - user reviews and comments
Photos of Star LegendAdd Photo
Star Legend ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
History was made on Wednesday, June 27, at Seattle's Ballard Locks as the Star Legend cruise ship passed through the locks. At 440 ft long and 63 ft...June 29, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises is currently sailing through Alaska for the first time in twenty years. The 212-guest, all-suite Star Legend started with a kickoff...May 24, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The second Asian season of Windstar Cruises for its 212-passenger Star Legend kicks off in the fall of this year after ship's inaugural Alaska season...March 15, 2018
- Cruise Industry
James Beard Foundation launched its Culinary Collection series of eight 2017-2018 voyages onboard small luxury cruise line Windstar. On its fleet...January 14, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises announced its return to Alaska for the first time in 2 decades. Beginning 2018, the cruise line will base its 212...March 19, 2017
- show more news
Other Windstar cruise ships
Star Legend Itineraries
The below listed Star Legend cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Windstar fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jul 12||12 days, round-trip Islands & Inlets of the Inside Passage||Vancouver|
|2018 Aug 04||14 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward|
|2018 Aug 30||27 days, one-way from Vancouver to Tokyo||Vancouver|
|2018 Aug 30||11 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver|
|2018 Sep 10||16 days, one-way from Seward to Tokyo||Seward||$1799|
|2018 Sep 26||10 days, one-way from Tokyo to Kobe||Tokyo||$3199|
|2018 Oct 06||10 days, one-way from Kobe to Tokyo||Kobe||$3899|
|2018 Oct 16||21 days, one-way from Tokyo to Hong Kong||Tokyo||$4199|
|2018 Oct 27||23 days, one-way from Tianjin to Laem Chabang||Tianjin|
|2018 Oct 27||10 days, one-way from Tianjin to Hong Kong||Tianjin||$3599|
|2018 Nov 07||12 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Laem Chabang||Hong Kong||$3799|
|2018 Nov 19||33 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Singapore||Laem Chabang|
|2018 Nov 19||26 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Singapore||Laem Chabang|
|2018 Nov 19||12 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Hong Kong||Laem Chabang||$3299|
|2018 Dec 01||21 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong|
|2018 Dec 01||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$4599|
|2018 Dec 15||18 days, one-way from Singapore to Benoa||Singapore||$3999|
|2018 Dec 15||7 days, round-trip Malay & Singapore Sojourn||Singapore||$1899|
|2018 Dec 22||11 days, one-way from Singapore to Benoa||Singapore||$3499|
|2019 Jan 02||37 days, one-way from Benoa to Laem Chabang||Benoa||$10699|
|2019 Jan 02||25 days, one-way from Benoa to Hong Kong||Benoa||$6399|
|2019 Jan 02||11 days, one-way from Benoa to Singapore||Benoa||$3499|
|2019 Jan 13||26 days, one-way from Singapore to Laem Chabang||Singapore||$6699|
|2019 Jan 13||14 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$4999|
|2019 Jan 27||23 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$6799|
|2019 Jan 27||12 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Laem Chabang||Hong Kong||$4399|
|2019 Feb 08||47 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Tokyo||Laem Chabang||$11899|
|2019 Feb 08||25 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Hong Kong||Laem Chabang||$6599|
|2019 Feb 08||11 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Singapore||Laem Chabang||$3999|
|2019 Feb 19||25 days, one-way from Singapore to Tianjin||Singapore||$6399|
|2019 Feb 19||14 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$4699|
|2019 Mar 05||22 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Tokyo||Hong Kong||$5599|
|2019 Mar 05||11 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Tianjin||Hong Kong||$3699|
|2019 Mar 16||11 days, one-way from Tianjin to Tokyo||Tianjin||$3999|
|2019 Mar 27||10 days, one-way from Tokyo to Kobe||Tokyo||$4599|
|2019 Apr 06||10 days, one-way from Kobe to Yokohama||Kobe||$4599|
|2019 Apr 16||10 days, one-way from Yokohama to Kobe||Yokohama||$4599|
|2019 Apr 26||26 days, one-way from Kobe to Seward||Kobe|
|2019 May 06||28 days, one-way from Yokohama to Vancouver||Yokohama||$4399|
|2019 May 06||16 days, one-way from Yokohama to Seward||Yokohama||$1999|
|2019 May 22||12 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$4099|
|2019 Jun 03||11 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$4099|
|2019 Jun 14||11 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$4299|
|2019 Jun 25||11 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$4299|
|2019 Jul 06||12 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$4499|
|2019 Jul 18||11 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$4299|
|2019 Jul 29||11 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$4299|
|2019 Aug 09||11 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$4299|
|2019 Aug 20||11 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$4299|
|2019 Aug 31||12 days, round-trip Islands & Inlets of the Inside Passage||Vancouver||$4499|
|2019 Sep 12||12 days, round-trip Islands & Inlets of the Inside Passage||Vancouver||$4499|
|2019 Sep 24||39 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Juan||Vancouver||$9999|
|2019 Sep 24||10 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego||Vancouver||$3499|
|2019 Oct 04||7 days, one-way from San Diego to Puerto Vallarta||San Diego||$2499|
|2019 Oct 11||8 days, one-way from Puerto Vallarta to Puntarenas||Puerto Vallarta||$2899|
|2019 Oct 19||7 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Colon||Puntarenas||$2299|
|2019 Oct 26||7 days, one-way from Colon to San Juan||Colon||$1999|
|2019 Nov 02||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$1799|
|2019 Nov 09||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$1799|
|2019 Nov 16||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$1799|
|2019 Nov 23||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$1799|
|2019 Nov 30||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$1799|
|2019 Dec 07||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$1999|
|2019 Dec 14||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$1999|
|2019 Dec 21||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$2899|
|2019 Dec 28||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$2899|
|2020 Jan 04||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$1999|
|2020 Jan 18||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$2199|
|2020 Jan 25||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$2199|
|2020 Feb 01||7 days, round-trip Windward Islands Surf & Sunsets||San Juan||$2199|
|2020 Feb 08||7 days, round-trip San Juan & the Virgin Islands||San Juan||$2199|
|2020 Feb 15||7 days, one-way from San Juan to Bridgetown||San Juan||$2199|
|2020 Feb 22||7 days, one-way from Bridgetown to San Juan||Bridgetown||$2199|