Star Breeze Review and Specifications
Specifications of Star Breeze
|Year built||1989 / Age : 29|
|Builder||Schichau Seebeckwerft (Bremerhaven, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 87 million|
|Owner||Xanterra Parks & Resorts Inc|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||134 m / 440 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||9975 gt|
|Passengers||212 - 254|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||Seabourn Spirit|
|Christened by||Wendy Perrin|
Current itinerary of Star Breeze
Star Breeze current cruise is 20 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Barcelona. The itinerary starts on 21 Sep, 2018 and ends on 11 Oct, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|21 Sep||Departing from London Tilbury, England|
|23 Sep 07:00 - 23:00||Le Havre, Paris, France|
|24 Sep 07:00 - 13:00||Guernsey, St Peter Port, Channel Islands|
|25 Sep 12:00 - 18:00||Belle Isle, Le Palais, France|
|26 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||La Rochelle, France|
|27 Sep 10:00 - 21:00||Bordeaux, France|
|29 Sep 13:00 - 21:00||Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France|
|30 Sep 08:00 - 20:00||Bilbao, Spain|
|02 Oct 08:00 - 14:00||Porto, Leixoes, Portugal|
|03 Oct 07:00 - 17:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|04 Oct 09:00 - 18:00||Portimao, Portugal|
|05 Oct 07:00 - 22:00||Cadiz, Spain|
|06 Oct 09:00 - 21:00||Gibraltar, UK|
|07 Oct 08:00 - 21:00||Malaga, Spain|
|08 Oct 08:00 - 22:00||Almeria, Spain|
|10 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|11 Oct||Arriving in Barcelona, Spain|
Review of Star Breeze
History - construction and ownership
Windstar Cruises is a luxury brand operating a fleet of smaller-sized ships (mega-yachts) with capacity up to 310 passengers. The company call at 150 ports throughout Caribbean, Central America, South Pacific, Asia, Europe. Currently, Windstar is a subsidiary of Xanterra Parks and Resorts (USA's largest national and state park concession management company).
The 9,975-ton, 212-passenger cruise ship Star Breeze is German-built luxury liner completed in 1989. In early 2005 the Seabourn Spirit was rated by Condé Nast best small cruise ship. In April 2015, the liner departed Seabourn fleet, and in May she became a member of Windstar Cruises fleet. She was built at Schichau Seebeckwerft shipyard in Bremerhaven, Germany, and christened by Aagot Brynestad, mother of Seabourn’s founder Atle Brynestad.
Cruise itinerary program
Star Breeze itinerary program is based on luxury Mediterranean cruises with departures from France, Italy, Spain, Greece and Turkey) and Caribbean voyages with Panama Canal transits leaving from Colon and Puerto Caldera. The ship also offers Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
Seabourn has a praised shore excursion program. On each cruise, at one port of call, there is one free shore-side activity to which all travelers are invited. Those events are usually a highlight of the sailing, and have included such trips as a visit to a private villa in Malta, a glass-roofed canal boat ride in Amsterdam and an outdoor folkloric dance implementation in Nafplion, Greece.
All Star Breeze staterooms are comfortable and sedate suites with luxury linens, stocked mini-bar, Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, fresh fruit and flowers. There are a total of 106 staterooms in 8 categories. The largest aboard Star Breeze are the Owner’s Suites (575 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Star Breeze guests may choose from various inclusive dining options – AmphorA Restaurant, Yacht Club, Sky Bar & Grill. Windstar travelers usually like to dress up. There are 2 formal nights on weeklong cruises and 3 on 14-day voyages. On these nights, a lot of the men wear tuxedos. Women wear luxury cocktail dresses or ball gowns. Other nights are casually stylish (jacket for men, but tie optional; nice outfit for women), or casual (no jacket for men; sundress or slacks for women). For those who do not like formal nights, the Veranda Cafe offers a casually stylish alternative.
Follows the complete list of Star Breeze restaurants and food bars.
- AmphorA Restaurant (ship’s dining room, open-seating; offers 5-course gourmet dinner menu which is changed daily; along with onboard-made breads, in all ports of call the executive chef goes to the local markets to shop for fresh ingredients)
- Candles Cafe & Veranda (a smaller “dining room” which offers buffet-style breakfast and lunch, as well as a la carte menu through the wait staff; its indoor area is called “Candles Cafe” and features floor-ceiling panoramic windows; the outdoor seating area is called “Veranda” - in the evenings, it transformes into “Candles Grill” al-fresco steakhouse)
- Sky Bar & Grill / Star Bar (serves the top deck open-air area).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
While Star Breeze offers the signature Windstar experiences (as the famous deck barbecue), she also promotes company’s product development initiative – intimate access to call ports, themed sailings and active interaction with villagers. Activities on board are very limited and range from food market purchases to performances by local musicians. Public areas include the casino, library, computer center, WindSpa, fitness center, pool and three whirlpool tubs.
Various bars and lounges, scaled for sociability, invite travelers to get to know one other. The complimentary fine wines and spirits service contributes to the club-like atmosphere inside and on the open decks, where passengers can find plenty of cozy seating in the sun or shade. Seabourn’s attentive service includes full bar service, mineral water spritzes, fresh fruit sherbets and smoothies, frozen towels and sun lotion. A pair of whirlpool spas grace sun deck, and the third one is forward on Deck 5. In warm water cruise destinations on certain days the captain anchors off a stretch of beach and deploys ship’s watersports fold-out Marina, creating private island resort for water-skiing, sailing, swimming or snorkeling right from ship.
Follows the complete list of Star Breeze lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Marina (retractable water sports platform for water skiing, wind surfing, snorkeling, kayaking; the ship provides water rafts, wakeboards, paddle boards and a water trampoline island; the steel cage forms a swimming pool in the sea)
- A Whirlpool (with sunbathing area and lounge chairs)
- Card Room (bridge and board games); Library
- Computer Center (discount Internet packages and rates per minute)
- Lounge (ship’s theater/main show lounge for live evening entertainment)
- The Boutique Shop (sells duty-free luxury fashion clothing and accessories)
- The Casino (with blackjack/roulette gambling tables, slot machines)
- Compass Rose (ship’s social lounge with its own bar and grand piano)
- The Wellness Centre (Spa, Gym and Beauty Salon; The WindSpa has treatment rooms, Saunas, Steam Rooms; operated by Steiner)
- The Fitness Center (with floor-ceiling windows; has free weights, treadmills, elliptical machines; offers complimentary excercise classes)
- Pool Area (with one rectangular swimming pool, two whirlpools on platforms and a 3rd whirlpool at the ship’s bow, sunbathing and shaded areas)
- The Yacht Club (Constellation Lounge with floor-ceiling windows for 270-degree views)
- The Sun Deck (with luxury lounge chairs).
Star Breeze wiki
- Cabin grades number: 8
- Total number of cabins: 106 (all of which Suites, 42 Balcony, 64 Oceanview)
- Dining Rooms: AmphorA Restaurant (MDR, open-seating).
- Restaurants and food bars: Candles Cafe & Veranda (buffet-style breakfast and lunch; a la carte menu with waiter service), Star Bar (bar & grill).
- Lounges & Bars: Compass Rose (lounge & bar with live music), The Lounge (Theater), Veranda, Yacht Club, Card Room.
- WindSpa, Fitness Center, Pool, Whirlpools (3), Watersports Platform, Casino, Computer Center, Library, Boutique Shop, Reception, The Bridge (Windstar's "Open Bridge" Policy), complimentary Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service.
- In 2001, Seabourn Spirit changed its port of registry - from Norway to Bahamas. In 2005, the vessel was ranked 1st in Conde Nast "best small cruise ship" ranking chart.
- (November 5, 2005 accident) Seabourn Spirit was attacked by Somalian pirates at 5:50 in the morning. The ship was 71,50 miles (115 km) away from Somalia's coast, when it was overhauled by two pirate boats. Pirates had machine guns and RPG. The ship's hull was hit by two RPGs, one of them wedged in the hull damaging the wall of a room. Sailors from USS Gonzalez (Burke-class destroyer) who arrived after the attack disarmed it. None of the guests was wounded but shrapnel stroke the ship's Master-at-arms Som Gurung while he was trying to fight off the pirates with the Long Range Acoustic Device. The attempt was successful - the sonic apparatus made the raiders flee. Seabourn Spirit then set sail to the Seychelles Islands, where the ship was repaired and continued the voyage.
- Star Breeze cruise ship was built for the Seabourn as Seabourn Spirit. The vessel was purchased by Windstar Cruises in Fenruary 2013, and was leased by Seabourn Cruises until it was handed to Windstar in May 2015. Her fleetmates and sister ships are Star Legend and Star Pride.
- Seabourn Spirit ship was christened In November 1989 by godmother Shirley Temple Black (1928-2014, American actress, singer and dancer).
- Star Breeze's christening ceremony was on May 6, 2015, held pier-side in Nice France, The ship's godmother is Wendy Perrin - an independent vacation travel expert and former Conde Nast Traveler employee. The naming ceremony was attended by Hans Birkholz (Windstar's CEO) and around 250 guests.
- During ship's week-long drydock refurbishment 2018 April (done in Lisbon Portugal) was installed Transas A-Suite (e-navigation system) and Navi-Radar 4000 (by DP Marine) with incorporated JRC sensors. The system consists of 2 radars (X-band and S-band), Dual ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display and Information) system, K-Nav ECDIS (route planning station (by Kongsberg Maritime) and PilotStar NX (autopilot by Anschutz). Also were modified all consoles and the ship's antenna.
Star Breeze - user reviews and comments
Photos of Star BreezeAdd Photo
Star Breeze ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Windstar announced its cruise ships will sail 7 new itineraries in Europe in 2019. The next year's season will see 6 new Mediterranean voyages from...July 12, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises canceled a series of Caribbean voyages it had scheduled for Star Breeze in February and March. The ship will instead stay in Costa...October 6, 2017
- show more news
Other Windstar cruise ships
Star Breeze Itineraries
The below listed Star Breeze cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Windstar fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 May 21||12 days, one-way from Lisbon to Amsterdam||Lisbon|
|2018 Jun 19||8 days, round-trip Norway’s Famous Fjords||Copenhagen|
|2018 Jul 07||22 days, one-way from Stockholm to Copenhagen||Stockholm|
|2018 Jul 14||15 days, round-trip Arctic Circle & North Cape Escape||Copenhagen|
|2018 Aug 17||15 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Dublin||Leith-Edinburgh|
|2018 Aug 24||8 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Dublin||Leith-Edinburgh||$3199|
|2018 Sep 01||19 days, one-way from Dublin to London Tilbury||Dublin|
|2018 Sep 01||8 days, one-way from Dublin to Leith-Edinburgh||Dublin||$2799|
|2018 Sep 09||11 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to London Tilbury||Leith-Edinburgh||$3299|
|2018 Sep 21||20 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Barcelona||London Tilbury|
|2018 Sep 21||12 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Lisbon||London Tilbury||$2999|
|2018 Oct 03||8 days, one-way from Lisbon to Barcelona||Lisbon||$3999|
|2018 Oct 11||8 days, one-way from Barcelona to Lisbon||Barcelona||$3699|
|2018 Oct 19||8 days, one-way from Lisbon to Barcelona||Lisbon||$2899|
|2018 Oct 27||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2099|
|2018 Nov 03||7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$1999|
|2018 Nov 10||8 days, one-way from Barcelona to Lisbon||Barcelona||$1999|
|2018 Nov 28||24 days, one-way from Lisbon to Puntarenas||Lisbon||$2499|
|2018 Nov 28||14 days, one-way from Lisbon to Oranjestad||Lisbon||$1299|
|2018 Dec 12||10 days, one-way from Oranjestad to Puntarenas||Oranjestad||$1999|
|2018 Dec 22||7 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Colon||Puntarenas||$2399|
|2018 Dec 29||7 days, one-way from Colon to Puntarenas||Colon||$2299|
|2019 Jan 05||7 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Colon||Puntarenas||$2099|
|2019 Jan 12||7 days, one-way from Colon to Puntarenas||Colon||$2499|
|2019 Jan 19||7 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Colon||Puntarenas||$2499|
|2019 Jan 26||7 days, one-way from Colon to Puntarenas||Colon||$2499|
|2019 Feb 02||7 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Colon||Puntarenas||$2299|
|2019 Feb 09||7 days, one-way from Colon to Puntarenas||Colon||$2699|
|2019 Feb 16||7 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Colon||Puntarenas||$2499|
|2019 Mar 02||14 days, one-way from Oranjestad to Philipsburg||Oranjestad||$2899|
|2019 Mar 02||7 days, one-way from Oranjestad to Bridgetown||Oranjestad||$1999|
|2019 Mar 09||14 days, round-trip Star Collector: Caribbean Collection||Bridgetown||$3699|
|2019 Mar 09||7 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Philipsburg||Bridgetown||$2199|
|2019 Mar 16||15 days, round-trip Star Collector: Caribbean Collection||Philipsburg||$3899|
|2019 Mar 16||7 days, one-way from Philipsburg to Bridgetown||Philipsburg||$2199|
|2019 Mar 23||15 days, round-trip Star Collector: Caribbean Collection||Bridgetown||$3899|
|2019 Mar 23||8 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Philipsburg||Bridgetown||$2399|
|2019 Mar 31||7 days, one-way from Philipsburg to Bridgetown||Philipsburg||$1999|
|2019 Apr 07||19 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Lisbon||Bridgetown||$2999|
|2019 Apr 07||7 days, round-trip Jewels of the Windward Islands||Bridgetown||$1999|
|2019 Apr 14||22 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Lisbon||Bridgetown||$3799|
|2019 Apr 14||12 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Lisbon||Bridgetown||$1299|
|2019 Apr 26||18 days, one-way from Lisbon to Amsterdam||Lisbon||$5599|
|2019 Apr 26||10 days, round-trip Island Gems of Spain & Portugal||Lisbon||$2699|
|2019 May 06||18 days, one-way from Lisbon to Stockholm||Lisbon||$7399|
|2019 May 06||8 days, one-way from Lisbon to Amsterdam||Lisbon||$3199|
|2019 May 14||10 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Stockholm||Amsterdam||$5499|
|2019 May 24||8 days, one-way from Stockholm to Copenhagen||Stockholm|
|2019 Jun 08||17 days, one-way from Stockholm to Reykjavik||Stockholm||$9199|
|2019 Jun 08||7 days, one-way from Stockholm to Copenhagen||Stockholm||$4899|
|2019 Jun 15||17 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Reykjavik||Copenhagen||$8999|
|2019 Jun 15||10 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Reykjavik||Copenhagen||$5499|
|2019 Jun 25||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$5099|
|2019 Jul 02||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$4899|
|2019 Jul 09||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$5099|
|2019 Jul 23||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$5099|
|2019 Jul 30||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$5099|
|2019 Aug 06||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$4899|
|2019 Aug 13||17 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Leith-Edinburgh||Reykjavik||$8999|
|2019 Aug 13||7 days, round-trip Around Iceland||Reykjavik||$4899|
|2019 Aug 20||18 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Dublin||Reykjavik||$8199|
|2019 Aug 20||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Leith-Edinburgh||Reykjavik||$5499|
|2019 Aug 30||8 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Dublin||Leith-Edinburgh||$4399|
|2019 Sep 15||18 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Lisbon||Leith-Edinburgh||$7299|
|2019 Sep 15||10 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Portsmouth||Leith-Edinburgh||$4999|
|2019 Sep 25||18 days, one-way from Portsmouth to Barcelona||Portsmouth||$6799|
|2019 Sep 25||8 days, one-way from Portsmouth to Lisbon||Portsmouth||$3599|
|2019 Oct 03||17 days, one-way from Lisbon to Civitavecchia||Lisbon||$5899|
|2019 Oct 03||10 days, one-way from Lisbon to Barcelona||Lisbon||$4399|
|2019 Oct 13||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2499|