Review of Carnival Dream deck 10 (Lido-Pools-Cabins)
The aft Sunset Pool deck area has 1 swimming pool, Sunset Bar, 2 Jacuzzis/Whirlpools, 2 poolside bars.
Waves Pool area (midship location, complimentary is served daily by two fast-food poolside bars - Guy's Burger Joint, and BlueIguana Cantina.
The ship has 2 main swimming pools – the smaller Sunset Pool (aft, quieter, open between 8 am - 12-midnight, served with drinks by Sunset Bar /soda, wine, frozens, cocktails, beer/buckets) and the bigger Waves Pool (forward/midship, open between 8 am - 10 pm, rimmed with shallow water, tiered seating, Seaside Theatre).
- Each of the swimming pools has 2 whirlpools (large-size hot tubs), expansive sundecks (sunbathing areas with blue lounger chairs), shaded seating areas (open-sided huts with large umbrellas). Both pool areas are served by their own fast-food bars (complimentary) and drink bars (a la carte priced).
- The Waves Pool’s sundeck is the place for watching shows, concerts and live sporting events (daily) and 1 or 2 film screenings (nightly, with free popcorn) shown on the Carnival’s Seaside Theatre – the giant outdoor LED screen (sized 12 x 22 ft / 3,7 x 6,7 m) overlooking the midship pool deck area.
- Among the daytime activities and entertainment options are playing bingo, deck games, fun contests (hairy-chest, “Miss Carnival”), trivia quizzes (music, sports), classes (scrapbooking, breakdancing), DJ and live music (Calypso band, solo guitarist/singer), cocktail mixing demos (by the ship’s master mixologist), ice-carving demonstration, “Groove for St Jude” (fundraiser).
- In the evenings, the pool deck hosts themed deck parties (with live band music) and a signature laser-show featuring trippy videos (on the LED screen) backed by loud music, dynamic laser lights and a smoke/fog machine. Carnival cruise ships have a tradition once per sailing their hotel staff to create an army of towel animals and place them on the pool deck to greet guests in the morning.
- Carnival’s Swimming Pool rules and restrictions include – no lifeguards on duty (signage), parental supervision required for kids under 13, wet surfaces (caution), showers required prior to pool use. Not toilet trained children and kids in diapers/swim diapers are not allowed. Also prohibited are jumping/diving (too shallow), horseplay, smoking/eating, entering with glass containers.
BlueIguana Cantina (menu, added during 2017 refurbishment) is a complimentary poolside (self-serve) fast-food bar with Mexican cuisine. The Cantina is open for Breakfast (7:30-10:30 am) and Lunch (12-noon - 2:30 pm) and offers fresh-made tacos, burritos (wrapped/topped-to-order), tortillas (wheat, jalapeno), chips, salsas, toppings. Breakfast burritos are with scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, ham, hash browns, tomato, cheese, iceberg lettuce, topping (pico de gallo, crema fresca, salsa /tomatillo, roasted tomato). Lunch tacos include pork, chicken, fish. Bluelguana Cantina has a separate condiments bar with salsas, hot sauces, lettuce, onion, cheese, lime, watermelon, jicama, black beans, corn, coriander, tomatillos, tomatoes.
Guy's Burger Joint (menu, added during 2017 refurbishment) replaced the "Grille" poolside bar (ham-cheese-veggie burgers, hot dogs, fries, chicken fritters/sandwiches, sauteed mushrooms/onions, sauerkraut, Chili con Carne, homemade tortillas-chips-salsa), Guy’s Burger Joint is Carnival’s signature burger bar by the US celebrity Guy Fieri (Food Network). The bar is complimentary and open for lunch and dinner (between 12-noon - 6 pm). The menu includes specialty burgers (Plain Jane, Straight Up, Pig Patty, Chilius Maximus, The Ringer), also made-to-order burgers, hand-cut fries, condiment bar. The ingredients include 80-20 beef patties, buttered buns, melted cheese, mushrooms, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomato, Donkey Sauce (mayo), crispy bacon patty, spicy onion rings, chili, BBQ sauce.
RedFrog Rum Bar is an outdoor poolside bar with best Caribbean rums, bottled Caribbean beers (Presidente, Kalik, Red Stripe, Corona, Corona Light, Dos Equis), draft beers (ThirstyFrog Red brew, Presidente brew), Red’s Beer Cocktail, frozens, cocktails, mojitos, margaritas, soft beverages. The bar also sells beer buckets and Carnival souvenir glasses. Draft beers are served/priced in pints (19 oz / 560 ml) and tubes (101 oz / 3 L).
BlueIguana Tequila Bar is an outdoor poolside bar for Mexican drinks (brews, frozens, cocktails, margaritas). BlueIguana Bar’s menu has draft beers (Modelo Especial, Dos Equis), bottled beers (Sol, Tecate, Corona, Pacifico), Beer Cocktail, beer buckets, Mexican tequilas, non-alcoholic frozens, soft drinks. Draft beers are served/priced in pints (16 oz / 470 ml) and tubes (101 oz / 3 L). The bar also sells Carnival-logoed souvenir glasses. On seadays are staged drink-mixing competitions between both bars (RedFrog and BlueIguana).
The Gathering Lido Restaurant (menu, complimentary, 825 seats, on 2 levels) is the ship’s self-service buffet restaurant for open-seating Breakfast (7:30 am - 12-noon /made-to-order omelet station), Lunch (12-noon - 2:30 pm), Dinner (6-9:30 pm /Good Eats buffet) and for Late Night Snacks (11 pm - 1 am). Good Eats buffet menu is a Main Dining Room dinner alternative offering steaks, prime rib, grilled chicken, pastas, salads, desserts, daily Chef’s Special. Lido restaurant consists of various take-away food stations and themed food bars. Among those are Carnival Deli (sandwiches, draught beer dispenser), Indian Tandoor (lunch), Mongolian Wok (stir-fry, made-to-order Asian food /you choose the ingredients), Mexican Bar (burritos/wraps, chicken, beef, shrimp, salsa, toppings), Pasta Bella (choice of 3 pastas, 4 sauces, 12 toppings), Salad Bar (35 items), Pizzeria (24-hour), Chef’s Choice Bar (international cuisine /different menu each day), Hot and Cold Buffet (stir-fry, pastas, carving station), Dessert Bar (incl sugar-free items). There are also (self-serve, complimentary, 24-hour) tea/coffee station and machines for soft ice cream and yogurt. Chocolate Extravaganza Buffet (complimentary) is on the last seaday (7-day and longer cruise itineraries) and offers chocolate smorgasborg, chocolate fountain, cakes (incl pear, orange, cheesecake, dry fruit, diet).
Pizzeria del Capitano (aft-portside, added during 2017 refurbishment) replaced the "Carnival Deli" - complimentary poolside bar (open between 11 am – 11 pm) offering hot/cold sandwiches and sides, and has a draft beer dispenser (for ThirstyFrog Red and Bud Light). Pizzeria del Capitano is also complimentary, open 24-hour, self-serve). The Pizzeria is equipped with a wood-fired oven and offers fresh-baked pizzas (Margherita, Pepperoni, Napolitana, Capricciosa, Calzone), pan pizza, Caesar salad, also made-to-order pies.
Indian Tandoor (complimentary) is open between 12-noon - 2:30 pm. Its menu has grilled meat (cheesesteak, chicken legs, kebabs, fish), salads, curries, naan breads, rice, dhals.
Lido Deck cruise cabins from 10201 to 10291, of which Inside (categories 4H, 4J) and the rest are Balcony staterooms (categories 8F, 8E).