COLOR LINE (Ferries)
Color Hybrid ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Color Hybrid ferry
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Crist (Gdynia, Poland), Ulstein Verft (Ulsteinvik, Norway)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Sandefjord-Stromstad|
|Building cost||EUR 120 million (USD 146 million)|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||160 m / 525 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
Review of Color Hybrid ferry
MS Color Hybrid ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the company COLOR LINE. The ship has max capacity of 2000 passengers and 500 cars. The vessel was launched in 2019 and currently operates on the Norway-Sweden ferry route Sandefjord-Stromstad (crossing time 2,5 hours).
As cruiseferry, Color Hybrid has air-conditioned cabins with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers) and reclining seats (fully reclining Pullman armchairs).
- All handicapped cabins (for disabled passengers) are wheelchair-accessible, with close to lift location, wider entry door, adapted bathroom (wider door, raised toilet seat, grab bars, shower seat, adjustable shower head), phone, linolium flooring, automatic door opener. These cabins are for 1 handicapped plus 1 accompanying person. Guide dogs are allowed.
- All cabins are above car decks. Connecting (family) cabins with adjoining doors and max capacity 6 persons are also available. Connecting cabins can be booked only via phone (+47 22 94 42 00) and no later than 4 days prior departure.
- All staterooms as amenities offer flat TV, minibar, lounge / seating area (sofa, small table, chairs), bedside cabinets, wardrobe, comfortable beds, vanity table, hairdryer, phone, electronic safe (in the closet).
The ship provides a limited number of kids beds (for children under 4) that can be booked at the Reception Desk. Kid beds can be used in all staterooms excepting 3-star (double bed) cabins.
As facilities, the Color Hybrid ship offers:
- Taxfree Market is a 410 m2 sized duty-free shop selling wide selections of alcohol, tobaccos, gourmet and fast food, chocolates, sweets. Taxfree Market's opening hours are 8-9:45 am and 2:30-10 pm.
- Color Shop is a duty-free shop selling brand clothing (Wear, Betty Barclay, Va Vite, Gerry Weber, Gant, Alvo, Levis), childrens clothes (Name It, Converse, LEGO, Levis). as well as electronics, media products (music / video), luxury watches, jewelry and accessories (Nora Norway, Pilgrim, Friis Company). Color Shop's opening hours are 8:30-9:45 am and 2:30-12 pm.
- Perfumes and Cosmetics Shop sells at duty-free prices popular luxury brands (including Versace, Prada, Chanel) and wellness products for men and women. Shop's opening hours are 8:30-9:45 am and 2-12 pm.
- Fashionize! is a duty-free shop selling luxury brand designer accesories (including jewelry, scarves, sunglasses) for both men and women. Among the represented brands are Sno of Sweden, Modalu, Michael Kors, ADAX, MOO, Ti Sento, NUDE. Fashionize shop's opening hours are 8:30-9:45 am and 2-12 pm.
- Fashion Boutique is a duty-free shop selling premium clothing, handbags, watches and jewelry brands, including Moods of Norway, Tiger of Sweden, Eton, Gustav, Marc Cain, Cambio. Guess, Tiger, Hugo Boss, Dyrberg Kern, Bibi. Fashion Boutique's opening hours are 2:30-12 pm.
- Casino is the ship's gaming area equipped with slot machines and other games (roulette, Black Jack). The casino is served by its own bar. The Casino opens from 2 pm (age limit is 18 yo).
- Teen's Plaza is the teenagers dedicated lounge located connected with the Sports and Burger Bar, Adventure Planet and the Aqualand park. The lounge has dance floor, Nintendo Wii console games, Singstar/PS3, Karaoke, Guitar Hero, Darts. Here teens can purchase snacks, popcorn, soft drinks.
- Adventure Planet is a video games arcade located close to the Aqualand. Arcade's opening hours are 1 pm - 2 am.
- Aqualand is the ship's indoor water park featuring large swimming pool, stream river, 1 waterslide, large jacuzzi, splash / baby pool, steam bath room, sauna room, fountains, bar seating (snacks and drinks). Opening hours are 2-6 pm. Access to the waterpark is for 1 hour. Ticket prices are around EUR 8 (adults and children) and EUR 4 (kids under 4 yo, swim diapers included) and are inclusive of towels.
- Kid's Corner is a childrens playground (unattended) area for toddlers (age limit 2-6 yo) equipped with toys, games and TV (for watching cartoons). The kids room is adjacent to the Mama Bella Pizzeria.
- Golf Simulator (putting green) offers virtual playing on famous golf courses in 1 hour sessions. Clubs are available for rent in the ship's golf center (door key is at the Spa and Fitness Center's Reception). Golf Simulator's opening hours are 7am-9 pm: 0700-2100. Golfing prices per hour are around EUR 35.
- Color Spa and Fitness Center is the ship's wellness complex consisting of full gym, treatment rooms (massages, facials), skin care room, hairdresser studio, beauty salon, 2 large yacuzzis, steambath room, sauna room, massage chairs, wellness bar lounge (snacks, refreshments). Opening hours are 7 am - 9 pm. Spa and gym access cost extra (per person) with optional day ticket and unlimited per cruise entry fee (around EUR 28 pp for spa-fitness, EUR 17 pp fitness only). Age limit is 16 yo.
- Show Lounge is the ship's theater lounge operated via partnership with 2Entertain (professional artists performing in large-scale dance and music productions). Dedicated waiters serve the lounge by circulating and taking drink orders, MS Color Magic has 2 different production shows - one performed on the route Kiel-Oslo ("Paradise") and the other on the reverse route Oslo-Kiel ("Cool Britannia"). Each show has its own music and costumes, and lasts approx 45 min. Smoking is not allowed. Table reservations are allowed with VIP-package only.
- Grand Buffet Restaurant offers hot and cold homemade dishes (including seafood, meat, game, soups, wok vegetables, fresh salads) and desserts, as well as live piano music. For children there is a separate Captain Kid buffet station. The buffet restaurant offers Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at fixed per person prices. Table reservations can be made.
- Oceanic Restaurant operates with a la carte priced menu with classic dishes and seasonal specialties.
- Manhattan Restaurant is a dinner-only gourmet restaurant with 5-course or 7-course menus and an extensive premium wines list. Opening hours are 6-10 pm.
- Mama Bella Pizza Ristorante is an Italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner (opening hours 1-11:30 pm). The pizzeria offers pizzas, pasta, antipasti, soups, desserts. Take-away ordering is also offered (for in-cabin or sundeck area dining). The adjacent Bella Bar serves wine, refreshments, finger sandwiches, pizza slices.
- Monkey Pub (open from 1 pm) is located on the Magic Promenade and offers live music, wide selections of drinks, beers (draught and bottled), light snacks.
- Sports and Burger Bar is a 1950's themed fast food / burger bar with direct access to the Sun Deck area. Opening hours are 1-6 pm.
- Tapas Bar is open for lunch and dinner (1:30-10 pm). Take-away ordering is also offered.
- Cafe Oriental is a self-service cafeteria / patisserie (open 6-9:45 am and 11 am - 5 pm) offering sandwiches, snacks, light lunch dishes, coffee drinks, soft beverages, pies, cakes, pastries, homemade ice-creams.
- The Navigation Bridge is on deck 12 forward. The sundeck is aft on deck 13. The ship also has large Conference Center (sized 1600 m2 / 17220 ft2) and Exhibition Center (sized 1400 m2 / 15070 ft2).
WiFi is available at extra cost. Wi-Fi access codes are available for purchasing at the Reception Desk.
Kids under 16 must be accompanied by an adult (parent or legal guardian). On 2-day ferry cruises the age limit is 20 yo.
Foot passengers must arrive at the departure port 1 hour prior departure.
Color Line's ferry cruise deals require deposit of 20% (made upon booking), which is later deducted from the cruise ticket price. The balance is due 40 days prior departure.
Pets on the ship
Pets (cats, dogs and ferrets) are allowed to board the ship with car and foot passengers. Pets are not allowed on any of the passenger decks.
Car passengers can leave their pets in their vehicle or in the ship's kennels (free of charge, pre-booking is required). Foot passengers must transport their pets to and from the ship in either pet cage or other carrier. The animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the trip.
Color Line participates in PETS (Pet Travel Scheme) system allowing pet animals to travel on ferries between European member countries without undergoing quarantine.
- Animals are not allowed on the ship only on Color Line's 2 day cruises between Kiel and Oslo.
- In accordance to PETS requirements, on all voyages pets must have all the needed documentation in order to be able to travel.
- Pets check-ins are at least 2 hours prior departure. Each animal is charged EUR 12 / 18 per voyage. On these voyages, pets are alolowed to travel either in the ship's car deck kennels (EUR 18) or caged in the private vehicle (EUR 12). As each ferry has limited number of kennels / cat boxes, pre-booking is required. Visiting the pets during the voyage is allowed, but access to the ship's public areas and cabins is forbidden.
- While dogs are allowed to stay in the vehicle during the crossing, it is not recommend in the summer due to the car deck heat.
- Pets visiting times are 5 pm, 8:30 pm and 7:15 am.
- Guide dogs travel freely, but proper documentation must be provided by the owner. Guide dogs are allowed to travel with their owners, with access to all passenger decks, most public spaces and select cabin types. Guide / service assistance dogs travel free of charge.
Color Hybrid ferry has pet cages, sized 1x0,9x0,7 m and 0,9x0,7x0,6 m.
Staying on the car deck during the voyage is forbidden. The car deck, as well as engine room, technical rooms and all watertight doors are under constant CCTV camera surveillance.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car passengers must arrive at the departure port 2 hours prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Color Line (founded in 1990, headquartered in Oslo Norway) is a Norwegian ferry company operating on passenger and cargo shipping routes between Norway and Sweden, Germany and Denmark. Color Line's current fleet includes the ships Color Fantasy, Color Hybrid, Color Magic, Color Viking, Superspeed 1, Superspeed 2.
Color Hybrid ferry wiki
- In January 2017, COLOR LINE signed a letter of intent with the shipyard Ulstein Verft (Ulsteinvik Norway) for building the new cruiseferry for the route Sandefjord-Stromstad. Ship's delivery to COLOR LINE was scheduled for May 2019.
- The vessel's steel-cutting ceremony was held in July 2017 at Crist Shipyard (Gdynia, Poland). Hull blocks were pre-manufactured by the company Western Baltija Shipbuilding (part of BLRT Grupp) at the Baltija shipyard (Klaipeda, Lithuania). All blocks were completed by July 2018 and the final assembly was done in Poland.
- On April 16, 2018, started the vessel's assembly (14 huge hull blocks) at Crist SA (Gdynia). After hull's completion in Poland, the vessel will be towed to Norway (Ulsteinvik) for further assembly, outfitting and sea trials.
Color Hybrid ship technology
Color Hybrid is a new class plug-in ferry ship designed by Fosen Yards (Rissa, Norwa) and built by Ulstein Verft (Ulsteinvik, Norway). It is currently the world's largest plug-in hybrid powered passenger vessel. As part of COLOR LINE's fleet-renewal program, the new ship replaced MS Bohus (built 1971 as "Prinsessan Desiree") for Sessan Linjen (now STENA LINE).
- The ship is specifically designed to run entirely on battery power. It gets recharged either through port's shore power (via power cable from shorepower supply facility in Sandefjord) or via the vessel's own diesel generators (diesel engine combined with an electric generator).
- Siemens is the manufacturer and supplier of the vessel's batteries and all electric systems.
- The ship's battery package provides power output approx 5 MW / h, allowing navigation for up to 1 hour at lower speeds (up to 12 knots / 22 kph / 14 mph). The vessel has fresh water storage capacity up to 450 m3 and water ballast of 1500 m3. It is also equipped with WHR ("waste-heat-recovery" system) that consists of heat exchangers that recover energy from the diesel generator's hot flue gases.
- Batteries are used when the ship is 6 km (3,7 ml) from and entering into port, and out again, after which the MGO-powered diesels take over.
- Ulstein's hybrid ferry design combines the standard diesel-electric propulsion with diesel-mechanical systems. It is more economical than the conventional diesel-electric propulsion and provides better performance and efficiency at high speeds, lower fuel consumption at low speeds, as well as significantly reduced emissions (COx, SOx, NOx), soot particles and noise. The combination of battery hybrid propulsion and high-voltage shore power connectivity enables virtually zero-emissions from the ship, excepting in cases when the diesel generator produces the onboard electricity.
- The ship is powered by Bergen diesel engines (model B33:45L developed by Rolls-Royce Marine) run on MGO (lighter marine gasoil) and feature reduced fuel consumption and less smoke.
- The new ferry was purchased via loan from an Export Credit Agency financing the building project over a 12-year period. DnB Bank (Norway) and GIEK (Norwegian Export Credit Guarantee Agency) funded 80% of the project (or approx USD 117 million).
- To support the new ferry, COLOR LINE installed in 2017 shore-to-ship power facilities in the ports Oslo, Kristiansand, Larvik and Sandefjord (where the batteries can also be charged).