Superspeed 1 ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Superspeed 1 ferry
|Year built||2008 / Age : 12|
|Builder||Rauma Shipyard (Rauma, Finland)|
|Class||fast ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Kristiansand-Hirtshals|
|Building cost||EUR 126 million|
|Speed||27 kn / 50 kph / 31 mph|
|Length (LOA)||211 m / 692 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||36822 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
Current position of Superspeed 1 ferry
Review of Superspeed 1 ferry
MS Superspeed 1 ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the company COLOR LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 2325 passengers and 764 cars (or 117 lorries). The vessel (classed as "fast ferry") was launched in 2008 and currently operates on the Norway-Denmark ferry route Kristiansand-Hirtshals (crossing time 3 hours 15 min).
As cruise ferry, Superspeed 1 features a total of 54 day cabins for truck drivers (a total of 54 beds), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. All passenger cabins, as well as the staff and crew cabins (a total of 71), are located on deck 10.
The ship has two reserved seating lounges - Business Class (deck 8 aft, capacity 93 seats) and Voyager Class (deck 9 aft, capacity 261 seats). On deck 9 there is another seating lounge.
- Business Class Lounge reserved seat costs EUR 26 pp. The ticket price is inclusive of free Wi-Fi and TV, drinks (coffee, fruit, mineral water), daily newspapers, luggage lockers. Each armchair (reclining Pullman seats) is fitted with a video screen (free TV and internet).
- Voyager Class Lounge reserved seat costs EUR 9 pp (adult) and EUR 4,50 pp (kids). The lounge has a large flat TV (Norwegian channels).
Age limits apply to passengers unaccompanied by adults and are as follows: 16 yo (Monday-Wednesday), 18 yo (Thursday-Sunday, also with hotel package bookings) and 20 yo (Monday-Sunday). Kids under 16 must be accompanied by an adult (parent or legal guardian).
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Color Superspeed 1 ship offers:
- (deck 7) Taxfree Market is a duty-free shop selling wide selections of alcohol (wines, liquors, beers), tobaccos, gourmet and fast food, chocolates, sweets.
- (deck 7) Color Shop is a duty-free shop selling brand clothing (Wear, Betty Barclay, Va Vite, Gerry Weber, Gant, Alvo, Levis), children's clothes (Name It, Converse, LEGO, Levis). electronics, media products (music/video), luxury watches, jewelry and accessories (Nora Norway, Pilgrim, Friis Company), designer accessories (jewelry, scarves, sunglasses / Sno of Sweden, Modalu, Michael Kors, ADAX, MOO, Ti Sento, NUDE).
- (deck 7) Perfumes and Cosmetics Shop sells at duty-free prices popular luxury brands (including Versace, Prada, Chanel) and wellness products for men and women.
- (deck 7) Fashion Shop is a duty-free shop selling premium clothing, handbags, watches, and jewelry brands, including Moods of Norway, Tiger of Sweden, Eton, Gustav, Marc Cain, Cambio. Guess, Tiger, Hugo Boss, Dyrberg Kern, Bibi.
- (deck 8) Deli Shop sells seasonal delicacies and locally supplied fresh food products (including brand olive oil, balsamic vinegar, premium cheeses, spices, marmalades, meats - hams, tenderloin, chorizo).
- All shops open 15 min after leaving the dock and close 15 min before arrival.
- (decks 7-8) Bluefins Kitchen is a 2-deck deli shop / fast food restaurant (capacity 500 seats) offering burritos, burgers, buns, salads, fresh-made baguettes, sandwiches, vegan items, as well as breakfast buffet (oven-baked rolls, eggs, bacon, fruits, desserts). Table reservations are allowed (excepting the breakfast buffet).
- (decks 7-8) Bluefins Lounge and Bar is a panoramic bar lounge (capacity 365 seats, age limit 18 yo) with 2-deck high floor-ceiling windows and furnished with comfortable leather sofas, chairs, and small round tables. Along with various drinks (including coffee, smoothies, wine, bottled and draft beers), the lounge also offers baked goods, cakes, pastries.
- (deck 8 aft) "Catch Me If You Can" is the ship's buffet restaurant (capacity 365 seats) offering hot and cold homemade dishes (Nordic food, seafood, meat, game, soups, wok vegetables, fresh salads), desserts (including gluten- and lactose-free items), beverages (soft drinks, beers, wine by the glass, tea, coffee). For children, there is a separate Captain Kid buffet station. The buffet restaurant offers as dine packages fixed-price Breakfast (bacon, scrambled eggs, toppings, fresh rolls, cereals / inclusive of coffee, tea, milk, juice), Lunch (hot / cold dishes, homemade cakes / inclusive of mineral water, coffee, tea, beer and wine by the glass) and Dinner (fresh seafood, meat and fish dishes, salad station, homemade desserts table - ice cream, chocolate pudding, cakes / inclusive of mineral water, coffee, tea, beer and wine by the glass). The buffet restaurant opens upon leaving the dock and closes 1 hour before arrival. Table reservations are allowed, but only upon booking and via phone.
- (deck 8 midship) "Fly Me To The Moon" restaurant is a self-service cafeteria / patisserie (capacity 340 seats) offering baked goods, sandwiches, salads, snacks, light lunch dishes, hot and vegetable dishes, wok food, pasta, pizza, desserts (cakes, pastries, pies, homemade ice-creams), coffee drinks, soft beverages. The cafe restaurant opens upon leaving the dock and closes upon arrival. Table reservations are not allowed.
- Storage rooms are on deck 6.
- The Navigation Bridge and adjacent officers quarters are on deck 10 forward. Deck 10 (aft) and Deck 11 are sundeck / outdoor areas accessible to passengers. Sun Deck 10 also doubles as the ship's helipad (helicopter landing area) used in cases of emergency.
- The ship has all 3 main stairways and 5 lifts (passenger elevators). The ship's entire provisioning is handled through a top-deck mounted cargo crane.
WiFi is available at extra cost (except for Business Class passengers). Wi-Fi access codes are available for purchase at the Reception Desk.
Foot passengers must arrive at the departure port 1 hour prior to departure.
Color Line's car package deals offer discounted combo one-way fare (EUR 94 for 1 car and 2 passengers, EUR 12 per additional passenger).
Pets on the ship
Pets (cats, dogs, and ferrets) are allowed to board the ship with car and foot passengers. Pets are not allowed on any of the passenger decks.
Car passengers can leave their pets in their vehicle or in the ship's kennels (free of charge, pre-booking is required). Foot passengers must transport their pets to and from the ship in either pet cage or other carrier. The animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the trip.
Color Line participates in PETS (Pet Travel Scheme) system allowing pet animals to travel on ferries between European member countries without undergoing quarantine.
- In accordance with PETS requirements, on all voyages pets must have all the needed documentation in order to be able to travel.
- Pets check-ins are at least 2 hours prior departure. Each animal is charged EUR 12 per voyage. As each ferry has a limited number of kennels/cat boxes, pre-booking is required. Visiting the pets during the voyage is allowed, but access to the ship's public areas and cabins is forbidden.
- While dogs are allowed to stay in the vehicle during the crossing, it is not recommended in the summer due to the car deck heat.
- Pets visiting times are 5 pm, 8:30 pm and 7:15 am.
- Guide dogs travel freely, but proper documentation must be provided by the owner. Guide dogs are allowed to travel with their owners, with access to all passenger decks, most public spaces, and select cabin types. Guide/service assistance dogs travel free of charge.
MS Superspeed 1 ferry has a total of 8 pet cages, of which 5 are sized 1x0,9x0,7 m, and 3 are sized 0,9x0,7x0,6 m.
Superspeed 1 ship has 2 vehicle decks with a total capacity of 764 cars or 117 trailers. Staying on the car deck during the voyage is forbidden. The car deck, as well as engine room, technical rooms, and all watertight doors, are under constant CCTV camera surveillance.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car passengers must arrive at the departure port 2 hours prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Color Line (founded in 1990, headquartered in Oslo Norway) is a Norwegian ferry company operating on passenger and cargo shipping routes between Norway and Sweden, Germany and Denmark. Color Line's current fleet includes the ships Color Fantasy, Color Hybrid (2019), Color Magic, Color Viking, Superspeed 1, Superspeed 2.
Superspeed 1 ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Superspeed 1 ferryAdd Photo
Other COLOR LINE cruise ships
Superspeed 1 ferry Wiki
The fast ferries Superspeed 1 and Superspeed 2 are Color Line's newest ships, both entering service in 2008 (respectively, in February and June). Both ships operate on the routes Norway-Denmark between Kristiansand and Hirtshals. Both vessels (project "Color Line Superspeed") were ordered in December 2015 for a total cost of EUR 250 million. They were constructed by the shipbuilder Aker Yards (STX Finland) at the Rauma shipyard.
These high-speed cruise ferries were designed by the Norwegian company Falkum-Hansen Design (Oslo). The hull shape is optimized to allow stability at higher speeds (max speed 31 knots / 57 kph / 36 mph). The ship's bow is high and short, while the superstructure is circular, brought up to the Navigation Bridge's height. The funnel is located midship-aft. The vessel design features a larger entry space between the stern and the superstructure's rear.
Among the technology and equipment suppliers were the companies Koja (air-conditioning and ventilation systems), Aalborg Industries (steam and exhaust gas boilers), Alfa Laval (main engine's central cooler), Autronica (fire alarm and suppression systems), Umoe Schat-Harding (lifeboats and davits), KONE Elevators (lifts), Aker Yards Cabins (prefabricated staterooms and bathroom modules , MacGregor (Ro-Ro equipment) Pilkington Marine (windows, glass walls, windscreens), MCP (mobile phone services / CellAtSea), Wartsila (main and auxiliary engines), Rolls-Royce (propulsion).
The ferries' propulsion system is based on marine diesel engines - four Wartsila 9L46 engines (9-cylinder, total power output 38,4 MW), plus four Wartsila 6L32 diesel generators (6-cylinder, total power output 12 MW). The ship's propulsion system is by Rolls-Royce Marine and consists of 2 controllable pitch propellers, 2 bow thrusters (combined power 4,8 MW) and 1 stern thruster (1,2 MW).
MS Superspeed 1 ship's keel laying ceremony was on February 28, 2007. The float-out was on August 1, 2007. Due to technical issues, the ferry was delivered 2 months behind schedule (planned for December 2007, delivered February 27, 2008) and entered service on March 13, 2008.
In 2011, MS Superspeed 2 was converted by STX Europe at the Helsinki shipyard. The EUR 12 million drydock refit and refurbishment project added a galley/kitchen (deck 7), a 2-deck cafe restaurant (Bluefins Kitchen, decks 7-8), 24 new staff and crew cabins (deck 10) and 2 more lifeboats. To make the ferry lighter, most of the newly added structures were made of aluminum. Following the conversion, the ship's capacity was increased from 1928 to 2335.
Superspeed 1 ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review