Commodore Clipper ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Commodore Clipper ferry
|Year built||1999 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Van Der Giessen-de Noord (Krimpen aan den IJssel, Holland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Guernsey-Jersey|
|Building cost||USD 48 million|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||129 m / 423 ft|
|Beam (width)||23 m / 75 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||14000 gt|
|Passengers||300 - 500|
Review of Commodore Clipper ferry
MS Commodore Clipper ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Guernsey-based company CONDOR FERRIES. The ship has max capacity of 500 passengers and 350 cars (or 92 lorries / 12-m trailers). The vessel was launched in 1999 and currently operates on the UK-Channel Islands ferry route Portsmouth-Jersey (crossing time 7 hours). The inter-island service Guernsey-Jersey is 2 hours.
As cruiseferry, Commodore Clipper has 40 quad cabins (a total of 160 berths). All these family staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The cabins (inside and outside) can sleep up to 4 passengers (fitted with 2 lower and 2 bunk beds). Cots can be also provided (subject to availability). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries.
- 2 disabled cabins are specifically designed for wheelchair users. These are double cabins (max occupancy 2 persons) and offer access to a shared adapted bathroom (washing / lavatory facility that is lockable to ensure privacy).
- Passengers can upgrade to Superior Cabin (forward-facing, with bigger windows, complimentary bottle of water, bowl of fruits, premium linen and additional pillows). Cabin passengers travelling overnight are entitled to a breakfast voucher for complimentary breakfast.
- All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the Commodore Clipper ship offers:
- Casquetts Bistro (self-service restaurant) offers hot and cold meals, Full English Breakfast, vegan, vegetarian and healthy food options.
- Clipper Brasserie (pub restaurant) offers full selection of main hot and cold meals, as well as lighter bites, sandwiches, salads, desserts, hot and cold beverages.
- Condor Traveller Bar is a panoramic bar (cafeteria / patisserie) offering sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot and cold beverages.
- The ship provides a total of 340 seats in two seating lounges - Reserved Seating Lounge and Ocean Club Lounge (first-class). Both are with airline-type fully reclining seats. Ocean Club (VIP lounge) additionally offers tables for work, steward service, complimentary newspapers and drinks (coffee and tea).
- ADORE duty-free shop is a combined boutique-convenience store selling gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, designed jewelry, watches and sunglasses, fashion clothing and accessories, confectionery, toys, games, crayola products, travel gadgets, electronics.
- Kids Playroom (indoor playground equipped with toys, games, large TV), Baby Changing Rooms
- Video Games Room (arcade machines)
- Disabled Lifts (for passengers with reduced mobility). If an onboard elevator breaks down, stair climbing devices are used to move passengers with reduced mobility (including in wheelchairs / pushchairs) from car decks to their cabin.
- Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to the Reception / lobby area).
- On the top deck (after the Navigation Bridge) is the ship's helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- Foot passengers are allowed to carry free of charge personal luggage up to 25 kg. It must be labelled (name and destination). After check-in, luggage is loaded and ready for collection in the homeport's arrivals hall. Accepting excess luggage is subject to space availability and is charged. At cargo rates are charged camping equipment, musical instruments, filming and radio transmitting equipment, surf and windsurfing boards.
- Foot passengers and passengers with bicycles must arrive for embarkation at least 40 min prior departure (1 hour for car passengers and motorbikers). Disabled passengers must arrive 90 min prior departure (boarding assistance is provided).
- To ferry caravans, motorhomes or campervans from UK to Channel Islands, entry permits are required. Bicycles are ferried free of charge (subject to availability) but must be pre-booked online.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
Pets on the ship
The ferry company participates in PETS (Pet Travel Scheme) system allowing pet animals to travel easily on ferries between European member countries without undergoing quarantine.
- In accordance to PETS requirements, on crossings between UK-France and UK-Channel Islands, pets must have all the needed documentation in order to be able to travel.
- On these voyages, pets are allowed to travel only in pet carriers (stored in a designated cardeck area).
- Each animal is charged per voyage - GBP 10 (UK-Channel Islands) and GBP 25 (UK-France). Pets inside the vehicles travel for free.
- Guide dogs travel for free, but proper documentation must be provided by the owner.. Guide dogs are allowed to travel with their owners, with access to all passenger decks and all public spaces.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Condor Ferries (founded in 1964, headquartered in St Peter Port, Guernsey, owned by Commodore Group / part of Macquarie Group) offers passenger and freight ferry services between UK-France and Channel Islands - Jersey (St Helier Port) and Guernsey (St Peter Port). Condor Ferries current fleet includes the fast ferries Condor Rapide (high-speed catamaran) and Condor Liberation (high-speed trimaran) and the ships Commodore Clipper and Commodore Goodwill.
Commodore Clipper ferry wiki
- The ship is powered by 2x MaK marine diesel engines (model 9M32, total output 8,76 MW). The propulsion system consists of 2x controllable pitch propellers (portside and starboard) and 2x fixed-pitch bowthrusters (forward).
- (ferry accident) On July 14, 2014, due to navigation team error, the ship run aground off Guernsey Island (Little Russel channel) sustaining hull damages and flooding. The MAIB investigation report (issued in 2015) showed not properly considered passage planning issues. Due to the very low tide, the vessel "squatted" in the shallow water at high speed. Also, the ship's electronic navigation system was not effectively utilised as its safety settings were not appropriate to the Channel Islands sea conditions. As result, the system's warnings were ignored and the sound alarm disabled. There were also issues with the Guernsey Harbour's pilotage assistance. Following the drydock in Falmouth England for repairs, the ferry returned to service on August 27, 2014. During the drydock period, Condor Ferries chartered 2 freight ferries and all booked passengers were diverted to the company's two fast ferries Rapide and Liberation.