70 °F / 22 °C
- Sao Vicente Island has a total population of around 80,000, land area of 227 km2 (88 ml2), length of 24 km (15 ml), width of 16 km (10 ml) and highest elevation point (Monte Verde) 725 m (2379 ft).
- The island was discovered by the Portuguese in 1462 - on the St Vincent's Day (January 22) after who it is named. Due to the lack of fresh water, it was initially used only for grazing cattle by proprietors from the Santo Antao Island. Mindelo's natural harbour attracted pirates, which led to building a port fortification in 1734. Until 1795 the island was practically uninhabited. In the mid-19th century was established its first settlement - Nossa Senhora da Luz, in 1819, the village was renamed Leopoldinha. In 1838 was once again renamed to Mindelo,
- in 1838 in Porto Grande was established a coal deposit to supply Transatlantic ships on their crossing routes.
- Sao Vicente was the first Cape Verde island to abolish slavery.
- In 1874 were established telegraph lines (via Madeira Island) connecting the island with Recife Brazil.
- In the early 20th century, diesel ships started to replace steamships. The island's importance as a coal deposit port fell, and its economy declined.
- As Sao Vicente lacks rain and natural resources, its current-day economy is mainly based on commerce and services.
- There is an islet (small isle) - called Ilheu dos Passaros - located north of Mindelo Bay, at approx 2 km (1 ml) from the mainland.
Mindelo cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Sao Vicente Island Cabo Verde dock (anchor) at Mindelo - port town on the west-northern coast.
Port Mindelo cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Mindelo, Sao Vicente Island, Cape Verde. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|7 December, 2019|
|27 December, 2019|
|29 December, 2019|