Viking Ocean (Viking Cruises)
Viking Jupiter Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Jupiter
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Ancona, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 340 million (USD 400 million)|
|Operator||Viking Ocean Cruises|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||227 m / 745 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||47800 gt|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||Sissel Kyrkjebo|
Review of Viking Jupiter
MS Viking Jupiter cruise ship (launched in 2019) is the 6th in a series of 10 identical vessels built for Viking Ocean Cruises. in 2017, with 5 already built ships, Viking Ocean planned a fleet-expansion to 10 vessels, with scheduled deliveries Orion (2018), Jupiter (2019), Tellus and Venus (2021), TBN1 (2022) and TBN2 (2023).
History - construction and ownership
The 47,800-ton, 930-passenger cruise ship Viking Jupiter offers destination-oriented cruising experience, with few at-sea days, long in-ports days and more exciting overnights in key spots. Ship’s features include complimentary Wi-Fi, free shore excursions, wine and beer with no charge at dinner and lunch.
Each of the Viking Ocean ships offers many ticket price-inclusive / complimentary amenities and services, such as all shore excursions, transfers, Wi-Fi, wine and beer (at lunches and dinners), access to Nordic Spa (steam room, thalassotherapy pool, hot tub, snow room / grotto, sauna, cold plunge pool). The infinity pool (resistance swimming pool located aft on Deck 7 / at the ship's stern) is another unique and complimentary facility.
All Viking Ocean liners were built according to the latest maritime navigation regulations and equipped with latest marine safety systems, including “safe return to port”. The ships also implement some of maritime industry’s latest technologies, including energy-saving hybrid engines (diesel generators and gas turbines), optimized hulls and bulbous bows for max fuel efficiency. Ship design also features the common for Viking River Cruises longships solar panels (installed on the magradome pool cover) additionally minimizing vessel’s exhaust pollution.
Cruise itinerary program
Viking Jupiter itinerary program offers both one-way and roundtrip cruises in Europe (during summer) and in South America (during winter).
- Western Mediterranean itineraries leave from homeports Civitavecchia-Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
- Eastern Mediterranean itineraries leave from homeports Piraeus-Athens and Venice (Italy).
- Baltic Sea (Northern Europe) itineraries visit ports in Scandinavia and Russia, as well as the Norwegian Fjords, leaving from homeports Stockholm Sweden, Amsterdam Holland, Bergen Norway, London-Tilbury England.
- South American itineraries are one-ways leaving from homeports Valparaiso-Santiago (Chile) and Buenos Aires (Argentina). The "South America and Chilean Fjords" cruise visits Uruguay, Falkland Islands and Cape Horn.
- The ship seasonally offers westbound and eastbound Transatlantic cruise crossings on repositioning voyages between Europe and South America.
All cabins are balconied and at 270 sq.feet, are 20 % larger than the average standard staterooms. Five stateroom categories are offered. The new all-veranda ship is engineered for easy embarkation and debarkation.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Viking Jupiter offers the following dining venues: Restaurant (dining room), buffets (Viking Deli, World Cafe), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco), specialty (Italian Grill, Chef’s Table), Private Dining (2 rooms). Viking Jupiter deals are inclusive of shore excursions, complimentary alcohol (wine and beer at lunch and dinner) and Wi-Fi.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
On board, Viking Cruises Viking Jupiter ship offers two pools – the main and Infinity Pool, spa and fitness center. The Sea also features a piano lounge, wintergarden and aquavit terrace. Not to forget the sports deck, star theatre and bar, lobby bar, various shops. The walk-around promenade deck fully encircles the ship. The two-deck airy Explorer’s Lounge offers observation area which is a feature that lots of today’s cruise ships lack. Many of the new features reflect a boutique hotel feel – the fire pit and Nordic-influenced spa offering sauna and snow room are an example.
Next YouTube video is a Viking Ocean cruise ship review (by Jim Zimmerlin). It which shows all the ship's main onboard facilities and also provides information on most amenities.
All Viking Ocean ships have an onboard "snow room". The 2013-launched Viking Grace (2800-passenger ferry ship operated by Viking Line) was the ever first vessel with a snow room. Viking Cruises' "Snow Grotto" is a spa retreat with powdery snow falling down from the ceiling. The experience (touted beneficial to the body's blood circulation) includes heating in a sauna (steam bath), then walking into this small room fitted with benches and with dark stone walls illuminated by blue light. The snow on the floor is kept at sub-freezing temperatures. This Arctic-themed facility is part of the ship's thermal suite (within the spa complex). This relaxation area has also 1 hot tub, sauna room, heated ceramic loungers, therapeutic showers, salt-water thermal pool. Snow Grotto access is complimentary to all passengers.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
Viking Jupiter wiki
- Cabin grades number: 18
- Total number of cabins: 465 (of which 47 Suite, 32 Penthouse, 386 Balcony rooms).
- Restaurants: Restaurant (main dining), buffet (World Cafe, Viking Deli), al fresco (Aquavit Terrace), specialty (Chef’s Table, Italian Grill).
- Lounges & Bars: Jupiter (theater), Explorers (observation), Atrium (Lobby and Lounge), Shops, Bar, Piano Bar, Wintergarden (poolside area), Walking Track, walkaround Promenade (deck 2), covered pool area (with jacuzzi, bar & grill), infinity pool (jacuzzi), Spa & Fitness, Beauty Salon.
- All Viking Ocean ships offer destination-rich itineraries featured with the line's new "small ship cruise" tour and onboard experience. Compared to similar class ships operated by other lines, Viking Ocean itineraries feature fewer sea days and longer port days, with many overnight port stays.
- Among the vessel’s innovative marine technologies are its energy-saving hybrid engines, top-deck solar panels, pollution-minimizing exhaust system. This ship also uses seawater as a lubricant for its propeller shaft bearings. This technology lowers the vessel’s maintenance costs and also the risk of pollution. Replacing the biodegradable oils, the water is being directly discharged into the ocean.
- All passenger cabins are with a private veranda, and about 1/5th larger than average standard staterooms on the ocean cruising market. Interesting feature of the ship is the dining room. This venue could be transformed into an outdoor casual dining place thanks to its floor-ceiling sliding windows.
- Viking Cruises deals (on all river and ocean ships) are inclusive of shore excursions (land tours), onboard entertainment and dining (including at specialty restaurants), drinks and alcohol (beer, wine /at lunch and dinner), 24-hour room service, Wi-Fi.
- Viking Ocean ships deliver a brand new-style vacation cruising experience. These vessels represent a "smaller ship" concept. The relatively shallow draft (21 ft / 6,3 m), design (hull and superstructure) and technology allow the ship to directly access even small ports. The ship's smaller size also guarantees an easy and faster passenger embarkation / debarkation process. Another unique feature for the "affordable luxury" ocean cruising market is that regardless of cabin categories, all Viking Ocean deals are price-inclusive of the shore excursions in all ports in the cruise ship itinerary.
- For Viking Ocean ships' interiors were contracted SMC Design (London-based interior design company) and Rottet Studios (LA-based hotel design company).
- In April 2018, Fincantieri contracted the Norwegian marine company Scanship to supply all the liner's cleaning systems - food waste processing, waste incineration, garbage handling, wastewater treatment plants. Scanship's wastewater purification system treats both greywater (sullage / sinks, showers, baths) and blackwater (toilets).
- The vessel was floated out on May 10, at Fincantieri's shipyard in Ancona, Italy. The ceremony was led by godmother Sissel Kyrkjebo (Norwegian singer) and attended by Torstein Hagen (Viking Cruises President) and Giovanni Stecconi (shipyard's Director).
Inaugural itineraries 2019
The following tables show the Viking Ocean Jupiter ship's maiden voyages by destination. Prices shown are per person (Veranda Cabin rates based on double occupancy).
(2019) 14-day "Inaugural Cruise" (themed "Mediterranean Explorations" roundtrip from Rome) - prices started from USD 4700 pp. The 7-day itinerary segment (Rome-Barcelona) was priced USD 2300 pp.
|24 Feb||Departing from Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|25 Feb||Messina, Taormina, Sicily, Italy|
|26 Feb||Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia|
|27 Feb||Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy|
|28 Feb||Algiers, Algeria|
|01 Mar||Valencia, Spain|
|02 Mar - 03 Mar||Barcelona, Spain|
|04 Mar||Marseille, France Riviera|
|05 Mar||Saint-Tropez, France Riviera|
|06 Mar||Monte Carlo, Monaco|
|07 Mar - 08 Mar||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|09 Mar||Arriving in Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
(2019) 13-day Inaugural "Eastern Mediterranean" (Greek Isles cruise to Holy Land) - prices started from USD 5000 pp.
|24 Mar||Departing from Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|25 Mar||Naples, Italy|
|27 Mar||Heraklion, Crete, Greece|
|29 Mar||Ashdod, Jerusalem, Israel|
|30 Mar - 31 Mar||Haifa, Tel Aviv, Israel|
|01 Apr||Limassol, Cyprus|
|03 Apr||Rhodes Island, Greece|
|04 Apr||Mykonos Island, Greece|
|05 Apr||Arriving in Piraeus, Athens, Greece|
(2019) 6-day Inaugural "Adriatic Sea" cruise - prices started from USD 3000 pp.
|06 Apr||Departing from Piraeus, Athens, Greece|
|07 Apr||Katakolon, Olympia, Greece|
|08 Apr||Corfu Island, Greece|
|09 Apr||Kotor, Montenegro|
|10 Apr||Dubrovnik, Croatia|
|11 Apr||Split, Croatia|
|12 Apr||Arriving in Venice, Italy|
(2019) 13-day Inaugural "Northbound Repositioning Cruise" from Mediterranean to Baltic Sea - prices started from USD 5200 pp.
|26 Apr||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|27 Apr||Cartagena, Spain|
|28 Apr||Malaga, Spain|
|30 Apr||Porto, Leixoes, Portugal|
|02 May||Falmouth, England|
|03 May||Portsmouth, England|
|04 May||Le Havre, Paris, France|
|05 May||Zeebrugge, Bruges, Belgium|
|06 May||Amsterdam, Holland|
|08 May||Arriving in Copenhagen, Denmark|
(2019) 9-day Inaugural "Baltic Cruise" (to Scandinavia and Russia) - prices started from USD 4300 pp
|10 May||Departing from Copenhagen, Denmark|
|11 May||Ronne, Bornholm Island, Denmark|
|12 May||Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden|
|13 May||Tallinn, Estonia|
|14 May - 16 May||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|18 May||Arriving in Stockholm, Sweden|
(2019) 7-day Inaugural "Norwegian Fjords Cruise" - prices started from USD 6200 pp
|02 Jun||Departing from Amsterdam, Holland|
|04 Jun||Skagen, Denmark|
|05 Jun||Oslo, Norway|
|06 Jun||Kristiansand, Norway|
|07 Jun||Stavanger, Norway|
|08 Jun||Flam, Norway|
|09 Jun||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
(2019) 13-day Inaugural "UK and Norway Cruise" - prices started from USD 7000 pp
|01 Jul||Departing from London Tilbury, England|
|03 Jul||Edinburgh, Leith, Scotland|
|04 Jul||Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland|
|05 Jul||Lerwick, Shetland Island, Scotland|
|07 Jul||Gravdal, Leknes, Vestvagoy Island, Norway|
|08 Jul||Honningsvag, Mageroya Island, Norway|
|09 Jul||Tromso, Norway|
|11 Jul||Molde, Norway|
|12 Jul||Geiranger, Norway|
|13 Jul||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
(2019) 13-day Inaugural "Southbound Repositioning Cruise" from Baltic to Mediterranean Sea - prices started from USD 4700 pp.
|07 Oct||Departing from Bergen, Norway|
|09 Oct||Amsterdam, Holland|
|10 Oct||Zeebrugge, Bruges, Belgium|
|11 Oct||Le Havre, Paris, France|
|12 Oct||Portsmouth, England|
|13 Oct||Falmouth, England|
|15 Oct||Porto, Leixoes, Portugal|
|17 Oct||Malaga, Spain|
|18 Oct||Cartagena, Spain|
|19 Oct||Arriving in Barcelona, Spain|
(2019) 20-day Inaugural "Westbound Transatlantic Repositioning Cruise" from Europe to South America - prices started from USD 5600 pp.
|14 Nov||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|16 Nov||Malaga, Spain|
|17 Nov||Casablanca, Morocco|
|21 Nov||Dakar, Senegal|
|26 Nov||Recife, Brazil|
|29 Nov||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|02 Dec||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|03 Dec||Arriving in Buenos Aires, Argentina|
16-day Inaugural "South America Cruise" - prices started from USD 6800 pp.
|05 Dec||Departing from Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|06 Dec||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|09 Dec||Puerto Madryn, Argentina|
|11 Dec||Port Stanley, East Falkland Island|
|14 Dec||Ushuaia, Argentina|
|15 Dec||Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica|
|18 Dec||Puerto Montt, Chile|
|20 Dec||Arriving in Valparaiso, Santiago, Chile|
(2020) 20-day Inaugural "Eastbound Transatlantic Repositioning Cruise" from South America to Europe - prices started from USD 5600 pp.
|16 Mar||Departing from Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|17 Mar||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|20 Mar||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|23 Mar||Recife, Brazil|
|28 Mar||Dakar, Senegal|
|01 Apr||Casablanca, Morocco|
|02 Apr||Malaga, Spain|
|04 Apr||Arriving in Barcelona, Spain|
Godspeed to the new ship!
Viking Jupiter - user reviews and comments
Viking Jupiter ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Nor-Shipping and Viking Cruises are promising visitors to Oslo, Norway a night to remember on June 6, 2019, with a spectacular christening ceremony...September 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The 6th cruise ship Fincantieri is building for Viking Cruises was launched today, May 10, in Ancona, Italy. Viking Jupiter now heads to the...May 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
On its first-ever world cruise, Viking Cruises made its inaugural visit to Los Angeles. The event marked a full circle for what has become a...January 6, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The keel laying for the 6th of 8 ocean ships Viking Cruises has ordered from Fincantieri Italy, took place on Wednesday, October 18, at the shipyard...October 19, 2017
- show more news
Other Viking Ocean cruise ships
Viking Jupiter Itineraries
The below listed Viking Jupiter cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Viking Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Feb 23||6 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$2299|
|2019 Mar 02||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2399|
|2019 Mar 09||6 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$2499|
|2019 Mar 16||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2699|
|2019 Mar 23||13 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Piraeus||Civitavecchia||$5299|
|2019 Apr 06||6 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$2999|
|2019 Apr 13||11 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$4799|
|2019 Apr 25||13 days, one-way from Barcelona to Copenhagen||Barcelona||$4999|
|2019 May 09||9 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Stockholm||Copenhagen||$4399|
|2019 May 19||13 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen||Stockholm||$6299|
|2019 Jun 02||7 days, one-way from Bergen to Amsterdam||Bergen||$3599|
|2019 Jun 09||7 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Bergen||Amsterdam||$3799|
|2019 Jun 16||13 days, one-way from Bergen to London Tilbury||Bergen||$6999|
|2019 Jun 30||13 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen||London Tilbury||$6999|
|2019 Jul 14||13 days, one-way from Bergen to London Tilbury||Bergen||$7299|
|2019 Jul 28||13 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen||London Tilbury||$7299|
|2019 Aug 11||13 days, one-way from Bergen to Stockholm||Bergen||$6999|
|2019 Aug 25||13 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen||Stockholm||$6999|
|2019 Sep 08||13 days, one-way from Bergen to Stockholm||Bergen||$6799|
|2019 Sep 22||13 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen||Stockholm||$6599|
|2019 Oct 06||13 days, one-way from Bergen to Barcelona||Bergen||$4699|
|2019 Oct 20||11 days, one-way from Barcelona to Venice||Barcelona||$5199|
|2019 Nov 01||11 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$4999|
|2019 Nov 13||20 days, one-way from Barcelona to Buenos Aires||Barcelona||$5599|
|2019 Dec 04||16 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso||Buenos Aires||$7599|
|2019 Dec 21||16 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$7599|
|2020 Jan 07||16 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso||Buenos Aires||$7599|
|2020 Jan 24||16 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$7599|
|2020 Feb 10||16 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso||Buenos Aires||$7599|
|2020 Feb 27||16 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$7299|
|2020 Mar 15||20 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Barcelona||Buenos Aires||$5599|
|2020 Apr 05||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2599|
|2020 Apr 12||6 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$2699|
|2020 Apr 19||13 days, one-way from Barcelona to Bergen||Barcelona||$4999|
|2020 May 03||13 days, one-way from Bergen to London Tilbury||Bergen||$6999|
|2020 May 17||13 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen||London Tilbury||$7199|
|2020 May 31||13 days, one-way from Bergen to Stockholm||Bergen||$6299|
|2020 Jun 14||27 days, one-way from Stockholm to London Tilbury||Stockholm||$13198|
|2020 Jun 14||13 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen||Stockholm||$6499|
|2020 Jun 28||13 days, one-way from Bergen to London Tilbury||Bergen||$6999|
|2020 Jul 12||13 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen||London Tilbury||$6999|
|2020 Jul 26||13 days, one-way from Bergen to London Tilbury||Bergen||$7699|
|2020 Aug 09||13 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen||London Tilbury||$7699|
|2020 Aug 23||13 days, one-way from Bergen to Stockholm||Bergen||$6699|
|2020 Sep 06||13 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen||Stockholm||$6699|