Scenic Cruises fleet
Review of Scenic Cruises
The Scenic Tours company's subsidiary Scenic Cruises line operates riverboats on all biggest European rivers - Danube, Rhine, Main, Moselle, including in France (on Saone, Rhone and Seine). The line also operates in Portugal (on Douro river), in Russia (on Volga river) and in Southeast Asia (with regular itineraries on the rivers Irrawaddy and Mekong). Scenic is between the most inclusive river cruise lines in operation today. Its river cruising deals offer almost all-inclusive fares covering meals and drinks, excursions, gratuities. The line's deals feature price-included unlimited drinks - from the beverages in the staterooms minibars to the alcohol drinks consumed at all dining and lounge venues on board. Butler service for passengers in Europe is also included.
The parent company "Scenic" (until 2015 known as "Scenic Tours") was established in 1987 in Australia by the entrepreneur Glen Moroney. Its business started with coach trips along the coast of Australia. Later, the company included themed-event tours and expanded its operations to New Zealand, Norfolk Island, the USA and Canada, even to South America, Asia (including China) and South Africa.
In 2007, Scenic Tours opened its offices in Canada and the UK, eventually coming to the United States. The inaugural season of the new Scenic river cruise line followed in 2008 with the launch of the Sapphire boat - the fleet's first. Thus was established the subsidiary brand "Scenic Cruises", with operations exclusively in Europe. Enjoying a rapid growth, the Scenic Tours' river cruise division today operates new, purpose-built and almost identical as design luxury river ships.
In April 2015, the Scenic Tours company was rebranded as simply "Scenic". The company’s product has earned accolades worldwide for its quality, onboard and ashore services, and also for the huge diversity of land and cruise tour packages available for booking.
- All Scenic boats are called "space ships" to emphasize on their higher than usual space ratio. The line offers upscale river cruising vacations in contemporary surroundings. However, in terms of dining, land tours and excursions and entertainment, Scenic cruises are quite traditional.
- Meals are served in two dining venues: the dining room restaurant (named Crystal Dining) and Portobello's (smaller Italian alternative restaurant). Both are open-seating. Occasionally, a picnic-fare lunch or barbecue is served on the sun deck. Table La Rive is the line's newest dining option with a 6-course tasting menu served with tempting wine pairing. The seating takes place in a curtained-off section of the dining room. All the gourmet selections include regional cuisine specialties. Some lunches and dinners are themed to the visited country along the cruise itinerary.
- Each of the Scenic ships has two lounges. Panorama Lounge & Bar pampers with after-dinner entertainment (cocktails, music and dancing). It's also the venue for daily port talk, local performers showcasing their culture in the evenings, classical music recitals. Traditional performances by groups of Bavarian dancers or gypsy troupes are also presented here. The other lounge area for drinks and light snacks is the Riverview Terrace (at the boat's bow). This lounge is covered, with an open-air teak deck, seats about 20 guests and is only a deck below the Sun Deck.
- About 84% of all Scenic river cruise ship cabins are with balconies. All the ships (excepting the chartered in Russia Scenic Tsar) have the signature "Sun Lounge" verandas. All passenger accommodations also feature flat-screen TVs and 5-star hotel luxury amenities. Bathrooms are also larger than average, with fun lighting. Guests can decide a changing spectrum of colored lights while taking a shower.
- English-speaking local guides lead all Scenic cruise tours and excursions ashore. Innovative headsets (called "Scenic Tailormade", GPS devices) allow guests to hear the guide's commentaries or to choose between the organized tours as they cycle or walk through the places they visit. These devices also have a screen showing both photos of specific sights and a map of the scheduled itinerary route.
Itinerary of Scenic Cruises
Scenic attracts well-traveled, affluent passengers with an average age of around 70. The company markets its land tour and cruise itineraries only in English-speaking countries. Nearly 40% of the river ships' typical guests are Australians, 25% British (UK), 25% Canadian, 10% American (USA). Longer Scenic river cruises carry more Australian passengers, while short voyages have a majority of North Americans and Brits.
All being newly built, the Scenic's "space ships" (trademarked design) feature open-air balconies, all suite-category cabins and luxury hotel amenities. The complimentary specialty dining and all-inclusive drinks are another perk if you choose to book Scenic cruise deals.
The list of Scenic river cruise destinations features the Europe’s largest rivers - Danube and Rhine, connected via the Main Canal. Since 2016, Scenic Tours also offer Douro River cruises in Portugal and Spain. Being a major player on the cruise tour travel market in Australia and New Zealand, the Scenic company also has booking centers in Europe (Switzerland and the UK) and North America (USA and Canada).
The list of owned by Scenic Tours ships includes:
- Scenic Aura (Irrawaddy River, Myanmar) Asia
- Scenic Amber (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Azure (Douro River, Portugal) Europe
- Scenic Crystal (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Diamond (Garonne River from Bordeaux, France)
- Scenic Eclipse (2017 mega-yacht)
- Scenic Emerald (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Gem (Seine River from Paris, France)
- Scenic Jade (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Jasper (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Jewel (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Opal (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Pearl (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Ruby (Rhine - Main - Danube) Europe
- Scenic Sapphire (Saone - Rhone rivers from Chalon and Tarascon, France)
- Scenic Spirit (Mekong River, Vietnam and Cambodia) Asia
- Scenic Tsar (Volga River, Russia) chartered, original vessel's name is MS Alexander Grin.
Scenic cruise tracker
Our Scenic cruise ship tracker is a function integrated into all Scenic river cruise review pages. At page-bottom in each page you'll find a map with the boat's current location (AIS position). All the real-time tracking data is provided by VesselFinder. It's all about convenience - you will find where is your Scenic ship cruising today and right now along its current itinerary - in realtime!
Enjoy the "affordable luxury" river cruising on your Scenic Tours vacations!
Scenic Cruises related cruise news
The keel laying and coin ceremony of the world’s first Discovery Yacht, Scenic Eclipse, took place on April 28, 2017 marking the official...May 23, 2017
In 2016 Scenic Cruises gave a sneak peek at the designs for its new cruise ship promoted as the world's first Discovery Yacht, Scenic Eclipse...April 22, 2017
Scenic River Cruises will offer a river cruising travel guarantee for its passengers that will issue monetary refunds for cancellations and delays...October 17, 2016
River cruise specialist Scenic Cruises is entering ocean cruise market with the launch of its brand new ultra-luxury ship in August 2018. The...January 17, 2016
- show more news