San Miguel de Cozumel cruise port is on the Cozumel Island, part of the Quintana Roo state (Mexico), located on the Yucatán Peninsula's eastern part. This is the most visited port of call on cruises to Western Caribbean. This Mexican port destination attracts international tourists (mostly from the USA) with its tropical weather, snorkeling, diving and sea fishing opportunities, shopping and sightseeing. The island has population of around 75,000, and its main town is named San Miguel de Cozumel.
Cozumel Island offers some of the world's best underwater tour activities, with its main tourist attractions being the offshore coral reefs and numerous diving shops and tour operators. The main diving areas are located on the island's western side. Its east side is relatively undeveloped, but has amazing beaches with beach restaurants every few miles.
Chankanaab National Park is located approx 5,5 ml (9 km) south of San Miguel. The park is opened daily (between 7 am - 5 pm) and as amenities offers a lagoon, beach, restaurant, full-service bar, changing rooms, several walking trails. There you can enjoy snorkeling, scuba diving, SeaTREK helmet diving, swimming with dolphins. Another major attraction is the Cozumel Pearl Farm. This is an active farm surrounded by a mangrove lagoon and accessible only by boat.
The local economy depends heavily on tourism. The island's tropical climate determines rainy season from June through November, and dry season from December through May. The wet season is also characterized by hurricanes.
Highlights: San Miguel, San Gervasio Mayan ruins, Coral reefs
Cozumel cruise terminal
San Miguel de Cozumel cruise port has three different piers for docking. They all are located on the west side of the island. If in your cruise itinerary to Cozumel is added “Fundeo”, that means the cruise ship will anchor in the harbor and passengers will be transported to and from the shore (Punta Langosta pier) via the ship's tender boats.
Punta Langosta Pier Cruise Terminal
Punta Langosta pier is located right downtown San Miguel. You can walk on your own or join guided walking tour in the city. There is also a taxi rank in front the pier. Taxis are relatively inexpensive. If you want to rent a car, the closest offices are 5 blocks from the cruise ship pier.
The oldest Cozumel cruise ship pier serves mainly NCL ships. The pier is located about 1,5 ml (2,5 km) from downtown San Miguel (to the south). The distance is easily walkable (about 30 min), and most pleasant as it is along the waterfront promenade. There is also a taxi rank in front the cruise ship pier. Taxi ride is approx 10 min. If the lines of disembarking passengers waiting for taxis are long, you can exit the pier, walk toward El Cid La Ceiba Hotel and catch a taxi on the street there.
Carnival's Puerta Maya Cruise Terminal
The third Cozumel cruise ship pier was built by Carnival Corporation and serves exclusively its brand companies' vessels. Puerta Maya is located 0,5 ml (0,8 km) south of The International Pier. The terminal (aka “Little Cozumel”) has the most modern and diverse facilities.
- In October 2015, Carnival Corporation inaugurated the opening of a parallel berth to the Puerta Maya pier. Carnival Freedom was the first ever ship to dock there. Since then, the Puerta Maya pier has capacity of 4 vessels that can be berthed there simultaneously.
The list of facilities at the Puerta Maya cruise ship terminal (retail shops, restaurants, bars, services) includes:
- Food and drinks are offered at Tres Amigos, Fat Tuesday, Cafe Punta del Cielo, and Pancho's Backyard.
- Retail priced shopping is offered at Dufry, Ron Jon, Miro, Eriks, Hammock Island, The T-Shirt Place, Rogers Boots, Pirana Joe, Boutique Sr Frogs, Mare Blue, Tan Tan, Veari, La Vikina, Dufry Tequileria, Lupita, and Viva Mexico.
- Jewelry and designer watches are offered at Diamond International, Who Knew, Touch O Gold, Regal Silver, Indigo, Plateria D'Alberto, Joyeria Ruby's, Milano, Joyeria Montero, Silver Emporium, Red, Fiesta Maya, Caribbean Pirates, Miro, Le Best, Reef, Del Sol, Rogers Boots, Mayan Flea Market, and Los Cinco Soles.
- Cruise passenger services are offered at Costa Dental, and Drugs & Deli.
- All car rental offices in Puerta Maya are in building 19 - Avis, Alamo, specialty cars and executive cars.
- The terminal also has a Shorex Booth (shore excursions / tours booking and information), phones, restrooms, First Aid Assistance, and Coral Reef Exhibit gallery.
Car rentals are offered by all major companies, with their offices located near the cruise piers. The San Miguel town itself is easily walkable. Its main attractions are the numerous shops and eateries. Most tourist shops are around the town's main plaza.
The Cozumel port also has a Ferry Pier located to the north of Punta Langosta. It serves the regularly scheduled ferry service between San Miguel de Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.
Cozumel tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Beaches: Cozumel offers amazing beaches. Among the most popular are Playa San Francisco and Playa Corona.
- Castillo Real: this a Mayan site located near the northern tip of the island. You can see a temple, lookout tower and a pyramid base. There are also possibilities for snorkeling.
- Cozumel Park: Discover Mexico with interactive exhibits. Interesting place for lunch is Mercadito Corona. You will taste authentic cuisine surrounded by local music.
- El Cedral: the village is located near the center of the island. It was the first discovered Mayan site in 1518 by the Spanish explorers.
- Chankanaab Lagoon: amazing place for swimming and snorkeling among rainbow colored fishes.
- Museo de Cozumel: discover the history of the island. The museum also houses library, gift shop, book store and a restaurant.
- Plaza Del Sol: the main square of San Miguel.
- Punta Celarin: the lighthouse is located at the island’s southern end and has breathtaking views.
- San Gervasio Ruins: the most visited ruins.
Hotels near Cozumel cruise port terminal
- Villas El Encanto Cozumel
- Hotel B Cozumel
- Hotel Boutique Vista del Mar
- Flamingo Hotel
- Hotel Barracuda
- Coral Princess Hotel & Resort Cozumel
- Park Royal Cozumel-All Inclusive
- Cozumel Palace-All Inclusive
- Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa
- Melia Cozumel All Inclusive Golf & Beach Resort
- Secrets Aura Cozumel – Adults Only
- Hotel Mary Carmen
- Casa Mexicana Cozumel
- Hacienda San Miguel Hotel & Suites
- Furnished Affordable Apartment in Dodo Residential
- Amaranto Bed and Breakfast
- Hotel Cozumel Costa Brava
- Hotel La Casona Real
- Hotel Cozumel & Resort
The Cozumel cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Cozumel, Mexico.
If you lose the Cozumel location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Cozumel cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Cozumel, Mexico. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
6 January, 2017
13 January, 2017
20 January, 2017
27 January, 2017
1 January, 2017
2 January, 2017
3 January, 2017
4 January, 2017
5 January, 2017
7 January, 2017
8 January, 2017
9 January, 2017
10 January, 2017
11 January, 2017
12 January, 2017
14 January, 2017
15 January, 2017
16 January, 2017
17 January, 2017
18 January, 2017
19 January, 2017
21 January, 2017
22 January, 2017
23 January, 2017
24 January, 2017
25 January, 2017
26 January, 2017
28 January, 2017
29 January, 2017
30 January, 2017
31 January, 2017
Carnival Fantasy arrived at her new homeport of Mobile, Alabama on Thursday, November 10, to launch a schedule of year-round 4- and 5-day...November 11, 2016
Carnival Cruise Line was forced to cancel another Carnival Liberty sailing due to on an ongoing issue with faulty generator affecting...November 5, 2016
Three years ago, 6-year-old Qwentyn Hunter was on a cruise vacation aboard Carnival Victory with his parents and 2 older siblings heading...October 15, 2016
The many innovations aboard Carnival Breeze, the people and cultures of Cozumel, one of Caribbean’s most famous ports of call, are...October 1, 2016
The world-class art and onion-domed spires of Saint Petersburg, Russia, catapulted it to the top of Cruise Critic's first Cruisers' Choice...September 15, 2016
Prime time for tropical storms and hurricanes in the Caribbean is the period between late August and early September. Tropical Depression Fiona...August 24, 2016
Global fitness company Zumba announced it is teaming with Royal Caribbean in order to hold a 2nd official Zumba Cruise early 2017. The 5-day Zumba...August 7, 2016
Carnival Liberty briefly returned to her homeport in Galveston TX after a 3-year-old kid was injured. A young girl was posing with her family for a...June 15, 2016
Viking Ocean Cruises announced the addition of ten new itineraries as part of its 2017-2018 sailing seasons. The new Viking itineraries include the...June 11, 2016
Empress of the Seas, the cruise ship Royal Caribbean officials said they hoped would be able to serve Cuba, arrived to her new homeport, Miami, after...May 27, 2016