New York has two cruise ports with their own passenger terminal facilities. Manhattan cruise port is located on Manhattan Island's western coast, beside Hudson River. Brooklyn cruise port is located approx 6 ml (10 km) to the south, on eastern Upper Bay on Brooklyn’s Red Hook waterline.
NYC cruise port
Port NYC and NJ (New York / New Jersey) handles a huge cargo shipping volume, and is the biggest seaport on the US East Coast.
The NYC cruise ship schedule includes voyages the whole year-round. During winter are popular southbound itinerary destinations – Caribbean and Bahamas. During summer are operated mainly cruises to Bermuda and eastbound Transatlantic crossings. During autumn are offered a number of Canada New England "Fall Foliage" themed cruises.
- In May 2013, NYC port started a project to raise the Bayonne Bridge in order to allow even the world's largest container ships access to the the container ports of New York City and New Jersey (Elizabeth and Newark). The project also included dredging / deepening the channel.
- On September 7, 2017, the boxship CMA CGM Theodore Roosevelt passed under the elevated Bayonne Bridge. The container vessel was launched in 2015 and has TEU capacity 14855 containers, LOA Length 366 m and gross tonnage 152,991 tons. The vessel became the largest boxship to transit under the Bayonne Bridge.
Cape Liberty cruise port (Bayonne, New Jersey)
Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne New Jersey is located at Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor's northern side. Cape Liberty is at the north side of the 3 km (2 ml) long pier of Military Ocean Terminal Bayonne (MOTBY), which started cruise operations in 2004. The NY-NJ cruise port (aka "Port Liberty" and "Bayonne Cruise Port") has all 3 Transatlantic cruise ship terminals.
- The port's main tenant is Royal Caribbean (RCI, subsidiary of RCCL), with turnaround operations from here since May 2006 with Freedom of the Seas ship. In 2015, the company's second Quantum-class vessel Anthem of the Seas was also homeported in Cape Liberty, replacing here Liberty of the Seas.
- (statistics 2016) Cape Liberty (Bayonne) Port Authority reported a record number of handled cruise passengers - 509,306. It surpassed the previous (2015) annual record of 497,780 passengers (2.4% increase). The passengers served came via calls from the ships Anthem of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), Celebrity Summit and Azamara Quest.
- RCI's roundtrip itineraries from Bayonne NJ are operated the whole year-round. Cruise itinerary lengths are 5–12 nights and visit large seaports in Florida, Bahamas and Bermuda, as well as in Canada New England. During summer, Celebrity Cruises (another RCCL brand company) also homeports one vessel here.
Highlights: Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Empire State Bldg, Broadway
New York cruise terminal
The following cruise port map shows the locations of all 3 NYC and NJ cruise terminals (Manhattan, Brooklyn and Cape Liberty).
New Jersey Cape Liberty cruise terminal (Royal Caribbean)
In October 2014, Royal Caribbean and NYC Port Authority dedicated a Cape Liberty cruise terminal for the RCI's Quantum of the Seas ship. The new terminal started operations on November 10, 2014.
The new facility is located at Port Terminal Blvd (Bayonne waterfront). The USD 55 million building project included port expansion with a new passenger terminal, featuring a total covered area of 125000 ft2 (11600 m2) that hosts check-in, customs and immigration, luggage storage and processing area, parking area (capacity 950 cars) and also improvements of the existing docking pier. The new terminal building is adjacent to the inaugurated in 2004 terminal.
NYC Manhattan Cruise Terminal
The Manhattan passenger terminal is on Hudson River. Located on Manhattan Island's shoreline. the terminal is between West 44 and West 52 streets. Both Newark International Airport and LaGuardia Airport are located approx 15 ml (24 km) away, while JFK International Airport is approx 20 ml (32 km) away.
This New York cruise terminal has 3 wharves – Pier 88, Pier 90, and Pier 92. They can accommodate up to 5 cruise vessels simultaneously. The Manhattan terminal serves NCL Norwegian, Carnival Cruise Line and Holland America.
At the top of all the piers there is a building with dedicated parking lots, snackbars, restrooms, check-in, VIP areas, customs, newsstands.
- Address: "Manhattan Terminal, 711 12th Avenue, New York, NY 10019"
- Manhattan Terminal parking: daily parking rate ($18, for 10 hours), overnight rate ($23, for 24 hours). Theparking rate for multiple days is $20 daily.
NYC Brooklyn Cruise Terminal
Located across Governors Island, Brooklyn New York cruise port terminal is in Red Hook. LaGuardia Airport is 12 miles away, Newark International Airport – 16 miles away and JFK International Airport is 20 miles away.
Brooklyn New York cruise ship terminal used to be a cargo port. You will get very ”industrial feel”. The terminal building on Pier 12 is a new one. The facilities are vending machines, check-in, restrooms and customs. There is a parking area with 500 spots. Brooklyn New York cruise port terminal can accommodate only one ship.
It serves Princess Cruises and Cunard.
- Address: "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Pier 12, Brooklyn, NY 11231"
- Brooklyn Terminal parking rates (subject to change): $35 daily.
Brooklyn cruise ship terminal's shorepower
Since 2016, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal offers shorepower services. The shore-to-ship electric power supply project was first announced in 2011. The Cunard liner RMS Queen Mary 2 was the first ever vessel - officially plug-in on November 12, 2016.
- The USD 21 million system has been signed off by the New York and New Jersey Port Authority and turned over to the NYC Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), which currently oversees the cruise ship program for Brooklyn and Manhattan. As of September 2016, NYCEDC has responsibility for the system's operations and maintenance.
- The plug-in shorepower system was installed by Cochran Marine. This is a dual-voltage system targeted for use by Cunard Line and Princess Cruises, which are the terminal’s primary customers. The cable positioning device at the terminal is removable, so it can be stored during winter months.
- Connecting to Con Edison power grid, the shorepower system allows cruise ships to run their onboard systems without using diesel generators. This eliminates a calculated 1,500 tons of carbon dioxide, 95 tons of nitrous oxide and 6.5 tons of particulate matter annually, according to the New York City Economic Development Corporation that operates the cruise terminal.
- In 2010, the NY / NJ Port Authority estimated that improvement to air quality could yield public health benefits of USD 99 million over 15 years. That was a key element for community groups around the terminal’s Red Hook neighborhood to start pushing for shore power. Beyond the infrastructure cost, the project was delayed by haggling over the price of electrical power – in an era where cheap fuel prices made shipboard generation more economical. The power costs are subsidized in part by the EDC and the New York Power Authority, with terminal user Carnival Corp picking up the rest. As part of an agreement, Carnival Corporation pays USD 12 cents per kilowatt hour for shorepower.
- Brooklyn is only the second East Coast USA cruise port terminal (after Halifax NS) to install shore power.
- Costs are about USD 10 million to service one slip, and involve substantial infrastructure improvements. Ship operators must spend around USD 1 million to make a vessel shore power ready. Demand on the energy grid is substantial too. A typical container ship in port uses about as much energy as a single terminal at Boston’s Logan Airport, while RMS Queen Mary 2 requires 13 megawatts, equal to the entire airport.
New York tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Empire State Building: don’t miss that famed building. It is 1050 ft tall. You can take a look from the airy promenade after a great lift to the Observatory.
- Central Park: the iconic park dates from 1857. It is a large landscaped area where you can enjoy the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, the Bethesda fountain, the Great Lawn and Belvedere Castle.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: located between East 81 and East 82, dates from 1870. Discover artworks of famous artists – Aristotle with a Bust of Homer by Rembrandt, Wheat Field with Cypresses by Van Gogh, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher by Vermeer and The Unicorn in Captivity, medieval tapestry.
- Brooklyn Bridge: the bridge dates from the late 19th century. It spans across the East River. The Brooklyn Bridge and the views across Brooklyn, Upper Bay and Manhattan are breathtaking.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: 39 acres with beautiful gardens. Walk through the Bonsai Museum, the Tropical Pavilion, the Aquatic House and the Desert Pavilion. You can also have a coffee, buy a gift or something from the garden store.
The New York cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near New York, Cape Liberty NYC.
If you lose the New York location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port New York cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from New York, Cape Liberty NYC. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
5 October, 2017
6 October, 2017
8 October, 2017
9 October, 2017
10 October, 2017
12 October, 2017
14 October, 2017
15 October, 2017
16 October, 2017
17 October, 2017
18 October, 2017
20 October, 2017
21 October, 2017
22 October, 2017
23 October, 2017
26 October, 2017
27 October, 2017
28 October, 2017
29 October, 2017
30 October, 2017
31 October, 2017
Royal Caribbean changed its deployment plans for NYC-area port, Cape Liberty. Instead of Rhapsody of the Seas, the cruise line will homeport Vision...June 4, 2016
In 2017 Royal Caribbean will operate two ships out of Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Bayonne, New Jersey) for the first time, when Rhapsody joins Anthem...April 13, 2016
Anthem of the Seas returned into Bayonne's Cape Liberty port yesterday night (February 10), three days early after being swept up in a heavy Atlantic...February 11, 2016
- show more news