New York has two cruise ports with their own terminal facilities. The first is Manhattan cruise port, located on Manhattan Island's western coast, beside Hudson River. The second is the Brooklyn cruise port - approx 6 ml (10 km) to the south, located on the eastern Upper Bay on Brooklyn’s Red Hook waterline.
New York City is USA's largest, and one of the world's most populous metropolises of all times. Port of New York (New Jersey) handles a huge cargo shipping volume, and is the biggest on the US East Coast.
The NYC cruise ship schedule includes voyages all year-round. During the winter popular are the south destinations – the Caribbean and the Bahamas. The summer is time for Bermuda cruises or the classic Transatlantic.
Cape Liberty Cruise Port, sometimes called Cruise Port Bayonne (Port Liberty), in Bayonne, New Jersey is among the 3 trans-Atlantic cruise terminals in Port of New York and New Jersey. Cape Liberty is situated at the north side of the 3-kilometer (1.9-mile) long pier of Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne (MOTBY, which has been renamed the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, former military ocean terminal), and started operations in 2004.
- (statistics 2016) Cape Liberty (Bayonne) cruise port's Authority reported a record number of handled cruise passengers - 509,306. It surpassed the previous (2015) annual record of 497,780 passengers (an increase of 2.4%).
- The passengers served came via calls from Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas, Celebrity Cruises’ Summit and a brief stay from Azamara Club Cruises’ Azamara Quest, Port Authority officials said.
Royal Caribbean is among the primary tenants of Cape Liberty Cruise Port. In May 2006 Freedom of the Seas, then the largest cruise ship in the world, was named in a broadcast carried live on NBC's Today Show. Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas has been using Cape Liberty as her main home port since November 2015, replacing Liberty of the Seas. In 2016 Anthem sails year-round cruises out of Cape Liberty, with itineraries ranging from 5 to 12 night Caribbean/Bahamas and Canada/New England cruises.
Highlights: Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Empire State Bldg, Broadway
New York cruise terminal
The following cruise port map shows the locations of both NYC and Cape Liberty cruise terminals.
New Jersey Cape Liberty cruise ship terminal (Royal Caribbean)
In October 2014, Royal Caribbean and NYC Port Authority dedicated a Cape Liberty cruise terminal for the RCI's Quantum of the Seas ship. The new terminal started operations on November 10, 2014.
The new facility is located at Port Terminal Blvd (Bayonne waterfront). The USD 55 million building project included port expansion with a new passenger terminal, featuring a total covered area of 125000 ft2 (11600 m2) that hosts check-in, customs and immigration, luggage storage and processing area, parking area (capacity 950 cars) and also improvements of the existing docking pier. The new terminal building is adjacent to the inaugurated in 2004 terminal.
Manhattan Cruise Terminal
It is located on the Hudson River, Manhattan Island shoreline. It is between between West 44 and West 52 streets. Newark International Airport is 15 miles away, LaGuardia Airport – 15 miles away and JFK International Airport is 20 miles away.
This New York Cruise Port Terminal has tree wharves – Pier 88, Pier 90 and Pier 92. they can accommodate 5 cruise vessels simultaneously.
At the top of all the piers there is a building. On the roof of each, there is a parking lot. There is snackbars, restrooms, check-in, VIP areas, customs, newsstands and seats at the terminals.
Manhattan New York cruise ship terminal serves NCL, Carnival and Holland America.
- Address: "Manhattan Terminal, 711 12th Avenue, New York, NY 10019"
- Manhattan Terminal parking: daily parking rate ($18, for 10 hours), overnight rate ($23, for 24 hours). Theparking rate for multiple days is $20 daily.
NYC Brooklyn Cruise Terminal
Located across Governors Island, Brooklyn New York cruise port terminal is in Red Hook. LaGuardia Airport is 12 miles away, Newark International Airport – 16 miles away and JFK International Airport is 20 miles away.
Brooklyn New York cruise ship terminal used to be a cargo port. You will get very ”industrial feel”. The terminal building on Pier 12 is a new one. The facilities are vending machines, check-in, restrooms and customs. There is a parking area with 500 spots. Brooklyn New York cruise port terminal can accommodate only one ship.
It serves Princess Cruises and Cunard.
- Address: "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Pier 12, Brooklyn, NY 11231"
- Brooklyn Terminal parking rates (subject to change): $35 daily.
NYC Brooklyn cruise ship terminal's shorepower
Since 2016, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal offers shorepower services. The shore-to-ship electric power supply project was first announced in 2011. The Cunard liner RMS Queen Mary 2 was the first ever vessel - officially plug-in on November 12, 2016.
- The USD 21 million system has been signed off by the New York and New Jersey Port Authority and turned over to the NYC Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), which currently oversees the cruise ship program for Brooklyn and Manhattan. As of September 2016, NYCEDC has responsibility for the system's operations and maintenance.
- The plug-in shorepower system was installed by Cochran Marine. This is a dual-voltage system targeted for use by Cunard Line and Princess Cruises, which are the terminal’s primary customers. The cable positioning device at the terminal is removable, so it can be stored during winter months.
- Connecting to Con Edison power grid, the shorepower system allows cruise ships to run their onboard systems without using diesel generators. This eliminates a calculated 1,500 tons of carbon dioxide, 95 tons of nitrous oxide and 6.5 tons of particulate matter annually, according to the New York City Economic Development Corporation that operates the cruise terminal.
- In 2010, the NY / NJ Port Authority estimated that improvement to air quality could yield public health benefits of USD 99 million over 15 years. That was a key element for community groups around the terminal’s Red Hook neighborhood to start pushing for shore power. Beyond the infrastructure cost, the project was delayed by haggling over the price of electrical power – in an era where cheap fuel prices made shipboard generation more economical. The power costs are subsidized in part by the EDC and the New York Power Authority, with terminal user Carnival Corp picking up the rest. As part of an agreement, Carnival Corporation pays USD 12 cents per kilowatt hour for shorepower.
- Brooklyn is only the second East Coast USA cruise terminal (after Halifax NS) to install shore power.
- Costs are about USD 10 million to service one slip, and involve substantial infrastructure improvements. Ship operators must spend around USD 1 million to make a vessel shore power ready. Demand on the energy grid is substantial too. A typical container ship in port uses about as much energy as a single terminal at Boston’s Logan Airport, while RMS Queen Mary 2 requires 13 megawatts, equal to the entire airport.
New York tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Empire State Building: don’t miss that famed building. It is 1050 ft tall. You can take a look from the airy promenade after a great lift to the Observatory.
- Central Park: the iconic park dates from 1857. It is a large landscaped area where you can enjoy the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, the Bethesda fountain, the Great Lawn and Belvedere Castle.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: located between East 81 and East 82, dates from 1870. Discover artworks of famous artists – Aristotle with a Bust of Homer by Rembrandt, Wheat Field with Cypresses by Van Gogh, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher by Vermeer and The Unicorn in Captivity, medieval tapestry.
- Brooklyn Bridge: the bridge dates from the late 19th century. It spans across the East River. The Brooklyn Bridge and the views across Brooklyn, Upper Bay and Manhattan are breathtaking.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden: 39 acres with beautiful gardens. Walk through the Bonsai Museum, the Tropical Pavilion, the Aquatic House and the Desert Pavilion. You can also have a coffee, buy a gift or something from the garden store.
The New York cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near New York, Cape Liberty NYC.
If you lose the New York location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port New York cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from New York, Cape Liberty NYC. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 April, 2017
8 April, 2017
9 April, 2017
16 April, 2017
17 April, 2017
18 April, 2017
23 April, 2017
29 April, 2017
30 April, 2017
19 April, 2017
2016 was a busy year for Cape Liberty Cruise Port. According to the Port Authority, Bayonne port handled the record 509,306 cruise...January 31, 2017
New York is about to become home to one of the largest cruise ships in the world. Norwegian Cruise Line soon revealed that its giant...December 19, 2016
The long-promised shore power connection is already up and running at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, New York City, which is a major step towards reducing...November 14, 2016
Oceania Cruises revealed plans to homeport one of its smaller cruise ships, ms Insignia, in New York during summer and fall seasons in 2017 and 2018...November 9, 2016
Carnival Vista, Carnival Cruise Line's newest and largest ship, was christened Friday, November 4, in New York City, at an event honoring the...November 5, 2016
Royal Caribbean International and Madison Square Garden Company announced a marketing partnership, naming the line as the 'Official Cruise Line...November 4, 2016
Christmas Cruises are now top of more Brits' wish lists than ever before, with a 60% rise in internet searches during the first 6 months of...November 2, 2016
In honor of Veterans Day, Carnival is now offering special savings, shipboard credits and free upgrades during November to active and retired members...November 2, 2016
Fans of super heroes, super villains and Marvel comics will be excited to hear that Disney Cruise Line announced a new Marvel Day at Sea. This...October 23, 2016
On October 23, 2016 entrepreneur and model Jessica Minh Anh will host an unusual sky-high ocean catwalk on AIDAluna cruise ship's sundeck...October 17, 2016
- show more news