MSC Meraviglia current position
Current itinerary of MSC Meraviglia
MSC Meraviglia current cruise is 15 days, one-way from Miami to Port Canaveral. Prices start from USD 859 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 13 Nov, 2021 and ends on 28 Nov, 2021.
|Date / Time||Port|
|13 Nov 19:00||Departing from Miami, Florida hotels|
|14 Nov 09:00 - 15 Nov 12:00||MSC Ocean Cay, Bahamas private island|
|17 Nov 09:00 - 16:00||Ocho Rios, Jamaica|
|19 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Nassau, Bahamas, New Providence Island|
|20 Nov 07:00||Miami, Florida|
|23 Nov 09:00 - 20:00||Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles|
|24 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Kralendijk, Bonaire Island, Dutch Antilles|
|27 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||MSC Ocean Cay, Bahamas private island|
|28 Nov 07:00||Arriving in Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida hotels|
Specifications of MSC Meraviglia
|Year built||2017 / Age: 4|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||EUR 700 million (USD 950 million)|
|Owner||Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||316 m / 1037 ft|
|Beam (width)||43 m / 141 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||167600 gt|
|Passengers||4488 - 5386|
|Decks with cabins||11|
|Christened by||Sophia Loren|
MSC Meraviglia Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Oct 23||14 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Miami||$1599|
|2021 Oct 30||14 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Miami||$1599|
|2021 Oct 30||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Miami||$329|
|2021 Nov 06||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Miami||$299|
|2021 Nov 13||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Miami||$299|
|2021 Nov 13||15 days, one-way from Miami to Port Canaveral||Miami||$859|
|2021 Nov 20||8 days, one-way from Miami to Port Canaveral||Miami||$299|
|2021 Nov 20||15 days, one-way from Miami to Port Canaveral||Miami||$799|
|2021 Nov 28||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$299|
|2021 Nov 28||11 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$619|
|2021 Dec 05||4 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$129|
|2021 Dec 09||3 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$109|
|2021 Dec 09||10 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$469|
|2021 Dec 12||7 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$299|
|2021 Dec 12||15 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$1179|
|2021 Dec 19||8 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$569|
|2021 Dec 19||14 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$1299|
|2021 Dec 27||13 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$1039|
|2021 Dec 27||6 days, round-trip Caribbean Bahamas||Port Canaveral||$669|
MSC Meraviglia Review
Review of MSC Meraviglia
The 2017-built MSC Meraviglia cruise ship is the first of the (Vista Project) Meraviglia-class ships - with sistership MSC Bellissima (2019). Meraviglia was launched as MSC's 13th vessel. Meraviglia is also the 1st of all 13 newbuilds to join MSC fleet through 2026.
History - construction and ownership
MSC Cruises (MSC Crociere) is a passenger shipping company headquartered in Genoa and Naples. It was established in 1960. Today, MSC Crociere is a subsidiary of MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company) - world's 2nd largest containership company. MSC Crociere is the world's largest privately-owned cruise company. By annual passenger shipping volumes, MSC is ranked world's 4th largest cruise company (after Carnival Corporation, RCCL-Royal Caribbean and NCL-Norwegian) with over 5% global market share.
The 4500-passenger ship MSC Meraviglia was delivered in May 2017. The name of the new ship (meaning "wonder" in Italian) was announced during the steel-cutting ceremony on April 20, 2015. The Meraviglia is currently the largest cruise ship built by a Europe-based cruise line. The vessel is also 2nd in terms of capacity - following the Royal Caribbean's Oasis-class mega-liners.
Near Field Communication technology allows passengers to access their cabins, make onboard payments/booking and to locate their kids by using a bracelet, onboard card or smartphone.
Meraviglia was christened on June 3, 2017, in Le Havre (seaport to Paris) as in 2017 the port celebrated its 500 anniversary. Meraviglia then was deployed in Marseille for the inaugural cruise season in the Mediterranean. The itinerary announcement was made on February 1, 2016, at the coin-laying ceremony in St Nazaire (STX France shipyard), where the ship was under construction. The ceremony was attended by the vessel's 3 initial godmothers - Charlotte Bellanger (Port Le Havre), Marie Gabrielle Gossiaux (STX France) and Mariella Castellano (MSC Cruises).
Meraviglia is MSC's first ship fitted with new technologies specifically designed to improve the onboard digital experience for passengers. The company entered a partnership with Samsung to support NFC (near-field communication) technology onboard, enabling passengers to use smartphones, keaycard or bracelets to geolocate themselves or their kids, to access their stateroom or make onboard payments. Interactive screens are placed throughout the ship to enable passengers to make real-time bookings and reservations. Beacon technology is also used, sending location-based, customized notifications to users' phones as they move around the ship. Beacons are triggered whenever a connected device moves into their vicinity.
Decks and Cabins
MSC Meraviglia staterooms (2244 total, in 32 categories) are in 14 types and ~75% have private step-out balconies. The largest accommodations are MSC Yacht Club Royal Suites (700 ft2 / 65 m2, with Jacuzzi terrace sized 430 ft2 / 40 m2). There are also 46x wheelchair-accessible cabins as well as luxury Spa Suites. Meraviglia also has "cluster cabins" (up to 3 connecting staterooms for families) allowing 2-3 adjacent rooms to be interlinked for max capacity 10 guests.
The boat has 18 decks, of which 15 are passenger-accessible and 11 with cabins.
MSC Meraviglia decks are named after some of the world's most famous architectural and historic sites.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The ship offers 12 new and creative dining options onboard. Among those are the Mediterranean Village (speciality restaurant) and the exclusive Yacht Club Fine Dining Restaurant. The buffet is open 20 hours per day and serves international cuisines and Mediterranean specialities, including world food, wellness and "itinerary" corners. Fine dining options include Kaito Sushi Bar, Kaito Teppanyaki Restaurant and American steakhouse (Butcher’s Cut) featuring speciality meats from all around the world.
Follows the complete list of MSC Meraviglia restaurants and food bars.
- Marketplace Buffet (1345-seat self-service buffet restaurant with open kitchens, size 3550 m2, Deck 15). Marketplace Buffet Restaurant and Bar (aft location) is open 20 hours per day and serves international cuisines and Mediterranean specialties, including world food as well as cuisine based on where the cruise ship is sailing along with healthy options.
- Panorama Restaurant (666-seat Main restaurant with flexible dining style, size 1000 m2, Deck 6). The Main restaurant (dining room) offers different traditional Italian cuisine specialities and wines. It is open for Breakfast (7-9:30 am), Lunch (12-noon - 2 pm) and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings (7 pm and 9:30 pm), with a 7-course dinner menu (including vegan and vegetarian meals).
- L'Olive Dore / L'Olivo D'Oro (912-seat MDR / main restaurant with flexible dining, size 1338 m2, open between 6:45-9:30 pm) are part of the same restaurant divided via a central walkway with Enomatic wine-dispensing machines and a wine display in the middle. The venue offers Flexi and MyTime Dining, so passengers can choose when they want to eat here. Tables are ranged tightly around the room and in various sizes.
- "HOLA! Tapas" bar by Michelin-starred chef Ramon Freixas (56-seat, size 1614 ft2 / 150 m2) replaces Eataly Restaurant (Eataly Food Chain designed food store and specialty restaurant)
- Waves Restaurant (600-seat Main restaurant with classic dining style, size 1050 m2, Deck 5, open between 7 - 9 am, 12noon-2 pm and 6:45 - 9:30 pm) is a complimentary restaurant with fixed dining times. It is the only restaurant on the ship that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (in fact, breakfast is only served at Waves). It is situated behind the Reception on Deck 5 and though at the aft it doesn't have aft windows (only porthole windows), so it is quite dark and with low ceilings. Tables vary in size from 2- to 8 persons. Waves is a buffet-style restaurant with a la carte menu items (Eggs Benedict and omelets, for example). Hot dishes include buttermilk pancakes, cinnamon raisin French toast, fresh-baked pastries, and Belgian waffles. The "MSC Express" meal consists of bacon, sausages, hash browns, and eggs. There are also yoghurts, cereals, toast, tea, coffee. Adjacent to the dining room is the Galley (kitchen and storage rooms for food and beverages).
- MSC YACHT CLUB Restaurant (142-seat, size 405 m2) serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with no fixed times. A different menu is offered every day, reflecting the current cruise itinerary/region of the ship.
- "HOLA! Tapas" bar by Michelin-starred chef Ramon Freixas replaces Eataly Restaurant (Eataly Food Chain designed food store and specialty restaurant)
- La Piazzetta Restaurant (self-service buffet and pizzeria) offers Afternoon Tea and a midnight buffet). Part of La Piazzetta is Onboard Pizzeria and Steakhouse (steaks and seafood specialty restaurant).
- Butcher's Cut (68-seat, size 125 m2, open between 12noon-2:30 pm and 7-11 pm, deck 7) is an American steakhouse restaurant on Galleria's upper deck, with an open kitchen and indoor seating, along with outside seating (overlooking the promenade). The food consists of big cuts of different meats (steak, lamb, even bison), salad starters and prawn cocktail (served on ice), dipping sauces on the side, desserts bar (including a signature lava cake and New York cheesecake).
- Carousel Lounge (120-seat Cirque du Soleil show, gourmet food, and drinks, size 590 m2, Deck 7) is a dedicated to themed entertainment venue hosting weekly a total of 12 Cirque du Soleil shows (live circus acrobatic performances). The (EUR 20 million construction cost) lounge has capacity of 120 seats for dinner. Additional 290 seats are reserved for drinks. Carousel Lounge is operated via an exclusive partnership with Cirque du Soleil for regular live circus-style entertainment at sea.
- Food Market (58-seat featuring Slow Food products and Italian dishes by Eataly, size 150 m2, Deck 6)
- Kaito Sushi Bar (26-seat Japanese specialty restaurant, size 32 m2, Deck 7)
- Kaito Teppanyaki (30-seat Teppanyaki specialty restaurant, size 92 m2, Deck 7)
- Jean-Philippe Chocolate and Coffee (106-seat patisserie / Chocolate Factory / Coffee Bar by Jean-Philippe Maury, size 230 m2, Deck 6)
- Jean-Philippe Crepes and Ice Cream (Ice cream parlour and creperie by Jean-Philippe Maury, Deck 6).
The following official MSC Cruises YouTube video release reviews the ship's best features and onboard amenities.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MSC Meraviglia has a large water park connected to an indoor amusement park on two levels and to a 2-deck entertainment space (interior promenade) housing specialty restaurants, bars, duty-free shops. The Promenade is covered by a LED dome ceiling (called "digital sky") displaying visual shows.
Meraviglia also boasts cutting-edge wristband technology to make payments, book specialty restaurants, and spa treatments, and allow parents to geo-locate their kids.
Additional amenities include complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Children Program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of MSC Meraviglia lounges, clubs, and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Meraviglia Atrium (multi-deck midship area with live entertainment and glass-walled elevators)
- Infinity Atrium (22-seat Reception, guest service, size 450 m2, Deck 5)
- Cyber Library (Internet computers room and library)
- Cybercafe (Internet computers room)
- 985-seat Broadway Theatre (size 1000 m2, Deck 5 / 6, features grand-style show productions and classical concerts, with 2 shows per night - at 8 pm and 10:15 pm)
- 12 weekly Cirque du Soleil shows in the 413-seat Carousel Lounge (accommodating 120 passengers for dinner, plus additional 293 seated guests for drinks, size 1100 m2, Deck 7). The shows include "Viaggio" and "Sonor", each spanning 40 minutes.
- Galleria Meraviglia (size 1035 m2, Deck 6/7) is the indoor promenade that features an 80-meter LED ceiling changing throughout the day with different skies, patterns, mini-movies. The Galleria is the ship's social hub, with a double-deck of shops, bars, and restaurants. It is home to nightly parades, featuring the onboard performers. The ceiling over Galleria Meraviglia is sized 480 m2 (LED screen "digital sky") and transmits live views (sunsets, sunrises, night sky), also special events, shows, live performances.
- Plaza Meraviglia (a square with pastry, ice cream bar, and live music, size 130 m2, Deck 6) houses duty-free shops, patisserie (pastry bar), ice cream bar, live music performances. Promo sales are often offered throughout the day. The shops include Perfumes and Cosmetics, Watches and Sunglasses, Fashion, Jewellery, MSC Shop (logoed merchandise), Boutique and Accessories Shop, Fine Watches and Jewellery Shop, Mini-Mall (convenience store).
- Casino Imperiale (600-seat Casino Lounge, 1400 m2, Deck 7)
- Casino Imperiale Bar (23-seat Casino Bar, Deck 7) has numerous gaming tables and slot machines and hosts daily tournaments and bingo games
- Business Centre (58-seat conference room, size 67 m2, Deck 5)
- Excursion Office (size 55 m2, Deck 5)
- Excursion Point (Deck 6)
- Medical Centre (16-seat, size 400 m2, Deck 4)
- Sky Lounge (180-seat, size 630 m2, Deck 18)
- Attic Club (55-seat disco nightclub bar, size 70 m2, Deck 18) is Horizon Bar's indoor area with a dance floor and overlooking the Seaplex. Horizon Bar serves Horizon Amphitheater (pool deck) and nightly serves as it is tiny but serves a large space.
- Bamboo Bar (150-seat indoor pool bar, Deck 15)
- Brass Anchor Pub (81-seat, size 340 m2, Deck 7) is an MSC Cruises version of a "British" pub, with a picture of London on its outside wall. Its outside tables are overlooking the promenade. Inside, it is designed in soft greens, with plenty of booth seating and low lighting. There is also space for a small band, 12 beers on tap as well as 47 bottles - a variety of popular brands from around the world. Cider and bar snacks are also offered, including fish 'n' chips starting at EUR 3.
- Champagne Bar (155-seat champagne bar with fine cold food, size 700 m2, Deck 7
- EDGE (60-seat pre-dinner cocktail bar, size 160 m2, Deck 6)
- Infinity Bar (28-seat pre-dinner bar with robotic service, size 120 m2, Deck 5)
- Marketplace Buffet Bar (Buffet Bar and Aft Wine Cellar, Deck 15)
- Sky Lounge & Bar (180-seat, size 630 m2, Deck 18) is an indoor lounge with floor-ceiling windows (overlooking the main pool deck) and a separate Cigar Room. Sky Lounge is ideal for pre- and post-dinner cocktails, with a menu that includes "molecular" cocktails. A guitarist, pianist and singer entertain passengers throughout the day.
- Sports Bar (24-seat drinks and finger food bar, size 70 m2, Deck 16) is an American-dinner type food bar that serves beers, soft drinks, hot dogs, popcorns, snacks, energy and protein drinks, shakes and juices.
- Theatre Bar and Lounge (64-seat cocktail bar and ballroom, size 267 m2, Deck 6
- TV Studio and Bar (98-seat, size 309 m2, Deck 7) is an enclosed cocktail bar located on the upper deck of Galleria that has live music, late-night karaoke, and a dance floor. It broadcasts live games, talent contests, popular quizzes.
- Atmosphere Bar North (258-seat outdoor pool bar, Deck 15)
- Atmosphere Bar South (84-seat, Deck 15)
- Atmosphere Ice Cream Bar (84-seat, 24-hours food bar, Deck 15)
- Horizon Bar (45-seat sundeck bar, Deck 18)
- Polar Bar (12-seat ice cream bar, Deck 19)
- Attic Club (41-seat disco nightclub bar, size 70 m2, Deck 18)
- Meraviglia Library (6-seat walkthrough library, size 35 m2, Deck 7)
- Himalayan Bridge (82-m long suspension bridge spanning deck's entire width, Deck 19)
- Horizon Amphitheatre is a sundeck (outdoor theatre, size 1075 m2, decks 16-18) with capacity 140 seats (loungers-deckchairs) and sundeck pool (size 860 m2)
- Solarium (adults-only relaxation area with Solarium Pool and Bar)
- Main Pool area (swimming pools, whirlpools, loungers) - 4 swimming pools (including a 25-metre Atmosphere pool - by night illuminated with special lighting, 10-metre indoor Bamboo pool, Horizon pool at the back of the ship - transformed into a dance space at night)
- Top Sail Lounge is exclusive (open to Yacht Club passengers only) with dedicated concierge service. It features floor-ceiling windows (for panoramic bow views), plenty of seating (sofas, chairs and tables), designated Bar (table service). Drinks are served free to all MSC Yacht Club passengers. Snacks are also complimentary and offered throughout the day. The entire YC Suite-exclusive complex is named MSC YACHT CLUB Lounge & Bar.
- MSC Yacht Club Open Area (the fleet's largest), Pool and Bar
- MSC Aurea SPA complex (open between 9 am - 9 pm, size 1100 m2) consists of Steam Rooms, Saunas, Frigidarium, Relaxation Room, Thalassotherapy hot tubs, heated swimming pool, Whirlpools, Treatment Rooms, Aerobics Studio/Yoga classes, Bar, Solarium Area, Beauty Salon) is the largest on any MSC Cruises ship, with twenty treatment rooms and possibly the largest thermal suite at sea. There are 18 Balinese therapists offering treatments like facials, traditional Balinese massage (EUR 70 for 30 minutes), Thai massage, candle massage, and Aurea del Mare treatment with shells (EUR 110). A 45-minute Bali "Holistic" massage is EUR 110 (not including the 15% service charge). Treatments also include anti-cellulite as well as various water treatments. The Thermal Suite has 2 steam rooms (one light, one dark), two saunas (one Mediterranean, one Finnish), 2 relaxation rooms, 2 aromatherapy rooms, salt room, snow grotto, walk-through shower, and 2 thalassotherapy pools. A daily pass is EUR 40 per day (EUR 55 per couple), and weekly is EUR 120 (EUR 165 per couple). Jean Louis David salon is adjoining the spa and as well as hair treatments, features beauty therapies including waxing, nail services, men's grooming. Shampoo and style start at EUR 27.
- TOP 19 Exclusive Solarium (solarium, whirlpool bath - children not allowed, size 500 m2, Deck 19)
- MSC Gym by Technogym (fitness centre, size 570 m2, Deck 16)
- SPORTPLEX (Team Sports Arena for basketball, tennis court, football, volleyball, size 208 m2, Deck 16)
- Virtual Games Arcade and Bowling (size 56 m2, Deck 16)
- 4D Cinema (Deck 16), F1 car simulator (Formula 1 virtual simulators, Deck 16), Flight Simulator (Deck 16)
- Doremi Tech Lab (including a 3D printer, Deck 18), Team Sport Area
- Doremi Studio (kids and families cinema theatre, size 48 m2, Deck 18)
- Baby Club CHICCO (dedicated area for babies under 3 years by CHICCO, size 47 m2, Deck 18)
- Mini Club LEGO (LEGO play area, 3-6 years, size 65 m2, Deck 18)
- Juniors Club LEGO (LEGO play area, 7-11 years, size 70 m2, Deck 18) features weekly Magic Talent Show, School of Magic supervised program
- Young Club (dedicated area for young, 12-14 years, size 80 m2, Deck 16)
- Teens Club (children playroom, 15-17 years, size 50 m2, Deck 16)
- Atmosphere Pool (851-seat Pool deck, size 1500 m2, Deck 15)
- Bamboo Pool (140-seat indoor pool, size 1000 m2, Deck 15)
- Horizon Pool (140-seat Sundeck pool, size 860 m2, Deck 16)
- Polar Aquapark (2-deck Super Amusement Park, size 1000 m2) with 3 waterslides (including 1 high-speed), Champagne Bowl
- Polar Bar (12-seat ice cream bar)
- Himalayan Bridge is an 82-meter long suspension bridge spanning Deck 19's entire width
- Power Walking/Jogging Track (power walking track of 328 m, Deck 16).
Boutique and Accessories Shop (fashion boutique for men, women and kids, size 173 m2, Deck 6), Fine Watches and Jewellery (size 75 m2, Deck 6), Watches and Sunglasses (size 55 m2, Deck 6), Perfumes and Cosmetics (size 93 m2, Deck 6), Fashion and Jewelry Shop (size 45 m2, Deck 6), Photo Gallery and Shop (size 120 m2, Deck 6), La Vetrina (Temporary shop, size 45 m2, Deck 6), MSC Shop (Logo shop, size 55 m2, Deck 6), Mini Mall (Tobaccos, liquors and snacks shop, size 85 m2, Deck 6), Duty-Free Shop
Among Meraviglia cruise ship's 200+ major retail brands are Guerlain (beauty products), Dior (beauty), 3 luxury watch and jewellery boutiques (Bulgari, Damiani, Chopard, Omega, Longines, Tag Heuer), Italian accessories (Furla, Coccinelle), premium clothing brands (Armani, Lacoste, Calvin Klein). Fleet's first is the Technology Shop (wearables and other devices by leading tech brands like Bang & Olufsen, Bose, Apple, Samsung). Bellissima has MSC's largest selection of sunglasses brands. Via an exclusive partnership with Swarovski Crystal, MSC sells limited-edition Mandarin Ducks and fleet's only Swarvoski Statement Necklace Collection and exclusive Swarovski MSC pens. Other partner brands are LEGO and Chicco (each selling exclusive MSC-logoed toys), and the jewellery brands Trollbeads (Denmark) and Infinity & Co (UK).
In early-June 2020, MSC Cruises announced that in 2021 the Meraviglia ship will be homeported in PortMiami (Florida USA) for 7-night cruises departing on Saturdays. All itineraries visit MSC's private island Ocean Cay.
MSC Meraviglia itinerary program is currently based on Western Mediterranean cruises departing from 4 different homeports on 7-night roundtrips - from Marseille France, Barcelona Spain, and Italy (Genoa and Naples). Meraviglia was relocated for roundtrips out of Hamburg Germany for 2018 summer season. This deployment made the vessel the ever-largest homeported there. In Northern Europe, Meraviglia joined MSC Magnifica.
MSC Meraviglia - user reviews and comments
Photos of MSC MeravigliaAdd Photo
MSC Meraviglia ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises welcomed the announcement of the U.S. government that November 8 will be the date that international passengers from many parts of the...October 19, 2021
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises received approval from the CDC to restart commercial operations with MSC Divina on September 16, 2021. It will be the first time that...September 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
MSC Meraviglia on August 3, 2021, became the latest MSC ship to return to service and welcome guests in PortMiami Florida. This is a key milestone...August 5, 2021
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises' ship MSC Meraviglia completed a 3-day "test cruise" from PortMiami Florida visiting Nassau and MSC's private island Ocean Cay. The...July 22, 2021
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced restart plans for sailing from U.S. ports beginning in August 2021. The announcement follows the CDC approval of the line...June 9, 2021
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises officially started its crew vaccination program in the U.S. On May 7, crew from the MSC Meraviglia ship received their first COVID-19...May 11, 2021
MSC Cruises announced that it is further extending the temporary pause of all ex-USA departures. The pause now runs through March 31, and the...January 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The family-owned company MSC Cruises announced details of its Summer 2022 program with sales now open for voyages in the Caribbean and Mediterranean...December 18, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises reconfirmed its winter cruise programme for 2021-2022 with an array of itineraries in the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, and the Gulf...December 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises became the latest cruise shipping company to cancel its ex-USA voyages through February 28, 2021. The decision affects the schedules of...December 4, 2020
- show more news
Other MSC Cruises cruise ships
MSC Meraviglia Wiki
Meraviglia (sistership MSC Bellissima) is second only to Royal Caribbean's Oasis-class vessels in terms of passenger capacity. Meraviglia-class are also the largest passenger ships ever constructed for a European-based company. The name "Meraviglia" translates from Italian as "wonder". Ship's Master/Captain is Mattia Manzi.
Vessel's steel-cutting ceremony was on April 20, 2015. The float-out was on September 2, 2016. On February 1, 2016, was the keel-laying ceremony at St Nazaire shipyard (STX France). Vessel's powerplant generates a total of 38,4 MV (51500 hp) combined power output.
On May 31, 2017, the vessel was delivered to the shipowner MSC at STX France shipyard in Saint-Nazaire. The ceremony was attended by MSC Cruises executives and dozens of dignitaries (including France's President Emmanuel Macron) and Zoe Africa Vago (daughter of Pierfrancesco Vago - MSC Cruises executive chairman). The delivery ceremony also included the signing of a new ship construction deal with STX France for a new series of mega cruise ships (World Class) at a total cost of EUR 4.5 billion. The other MSC liner launched in 2017 (December) was MSC Seaside.
On June 3, 2017, was ship's christening in Le Havre. The naming ceremony was lead by MSC's traditional godmother Sophia Loren (Italy's most famous actress). The nearly-2-hour event featured live musical performances (by Patrick Bruel and Kids United) and ended with a spectacular fireworks show. In 2017, Port Le Havre celebrated its 500th anniversary.
The arrival of Meraviglia was a major milestone for MSC. It was the company's first Meraviglia-Class vessel, and the fleet's largest expansion project. Two larger (Meraviglia-Plus liners) were scheduled for 2019 (Grandiosa) and 2020 (Virtuosa). MSC planned to construct another new series of mega-ships (World-Class) at STX France shipyard at a cost of EUR 4.5 billion.
On December 18, 2018, MSC announced a partnership with celebrity chef Harald Wohlfahrt (3-starred Michelin chef). The German chef created a new menu of Mediterranean and international specialties for the exclusive MSC Yacht Club Restaurant on Meraviglia, Splendida, and Preziosa. The enhanced menu is offered only on cruises in Northern Europe. He also created two new main courses for the "Elegant Night" - a formal dining event held in the Main Dining Room on each voyage. Chef Wohlfahrt also completed an interactive training to all MSC's cruise ship chefs.
Meraviglia-Class ship technology
Most prominent features of Meraviglia-Class ships include:
- "cluster cabins" (interlinked for families allow up to 3 staterooms to be opened up)
- "Near Field Communication" technology (enables guests to access cabins, make payments on board or geo-locate children by simply using their MSC cruise card, bracelet or smartphone)
- huge outdoor water park (connected to an indoor amusement park)
- Interior promenade with specialty restaurants, bars, shops (covered by a 5165 ft2 LED dome ceiling called "digital sky")
Meraviglia-class is MSC's first vessels with a museum - showcasing original art masterpieces from The Louvre (Paris, France). The original artworks are shown behind bullet-proof glass (like in all land galleries). MSC signed a special insurance policy, according to which in case of damages / lost the company would personally purchase these assets. Ship's museum is on the 2-deck indoor promenade (called Galleria). The whole area is covered with a LED screen ceiling (virtual sky). On Meraviglia-Plus ships, this promenade was extended by 15 m / 49 ft.
In October 2017, MSC Cruises installed on Meraviglia a modern "Man Overboard Detection System". The company also announced its plans to install such systems fleetwide. This is an intelligent video capturing, image processing and analysis system that was tested and tuned on the cruise ship for over 25,000 hours, resulting in confirmed accuracy level of 97%. The real-time video data (provided by the ship's CCTV) is monitored and analyzed in a central security center by 2 independent image processing systems, which significantly lowers false alerts. When the alarm activates (in a man overboard case), light and acoustic signals notify the ship’s security officer who can immediately review the recorded video and notify the Navigation Bridge crew to start a rescue operation.
Cruise vessel's certifications and installed environment-friendly and sustainable systems include:
- Exhaust Gas Cleaning System (scrubber) removes SOx from the exhaust gases, which allows the ship to meet IMO's stringent emissions regulations.
- Advanced Waste Water Treatment System - treats wastewater by mixing different streams together, then filtering out all undesirable components. The ship also has a wastewater Non-Discharge Operation (wastewater holding) capacity of 2 days.
- Latest maritime technologies and energy-saving materials used for the construction result in lowered environmental impact and improved energy efficiency. The ISO 50001 certification guarantees the vessel's energy efficient management.
- For onboard safety (for both crew and passengers) was given the OHSAS 18001 certification (crew health and safety management).
- The ISO 22000 standard is the highest for onboard food safety and covers the entire food supply and preparation chain ("farm to fork”)
- The ISO 14001 standard is for coherent environmental management systems.
- In March 2018, the Meraviglia ship received Bureau Veritas' "8 Golden Pearls” certificate for "Outstanding Sustainable and Environmental Stewardship". This is maritime industry's highest (globally recognized) certification for QHSE (abbrev "Quality, Health, Safety, Environmental Management") on a cruise vessel. This also made MSC the world's first cruise company to receive the Bureau Veritas certificate.
- Bureau Veritas also awarded Meraviglia with "CLEANSHIP" notation.
Inaugural cruise itineraries 2017-2018-2019
- The new Meraviglia ship spent her Inaugural season (summer 2017) in the region of Western Mediterranean. The itineraries are all round-trips, leaving from three homeports: Genoa (Italy), Barcelona (Spain) and Marseille (France).
- In early 2015, MSC announced that its first “Seaside” class vessel MSC Seaside (launched in November 2017) would operate year-round departures from Miami Florida. The company revealed that the Miami-based operations would greatly benefit from the newly expanded dedicated to MSC ships only berth and cruise terminal at PortMiami. There were some online speculations, that eventually, the Vista-class Meraviglia would also be relocated to the region of the Caribbean, and also homeported in Miami FL.
Next tables show the ship's inaugural cruise itineraries as ports of call sequences and times.
8 nights / 9 days "Inaugural Cruise" (maiden voyage) from Paris to Naples
|04 Jun||Departing from Le Havre, Paris, France|
|06 Jun 09:00 - 15:00||Vigo, Spain|
|07 Jun 08:00 - 15:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|09 Jun 14:00 - 21:00||Barcelona, Spain|
|10 Jun 09:00 - 17:00||Marseille, France Riviera|
|11 Jun 07:00 - 17:00||Genoa, Italy|
|12 Jun||Arriving in Naples, Italy|
7 nights / 8 days, Inaugural Mediterranean cruise roundtrip from Barcelona
|09 Jun||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|10 Jun 09:00 - 17:00||Marseille, France Riviera|
|11 Jun 07:00 - 17:00||Genoa, Italy|
|12 Jun 13:00 - 19:00||Naples, Italy|
|13 Jun 08:00 - 18:00||Messina, Taormina, Sicily, Italy|
|14 Jun 08:00 - 18:00||Valletta, Malta|
|16 Jun||Arriving in Barcelona, Spain|
MSC Meraviglia started the inaugural North America season with a maiden call in NYC New York (arriving on October 7, 2019).
The ship offered 3 itineraries departing from NYC - two 10-night roundtrips and one 13-night repositioning Caribbean cruise NYC to Miami. The 1st 10-night roundtrip itinerary (October 8, 2019) visited Sydney NS, Corner Brook NL, Charlottetown PE (Prince Edward Island) and Quebec City (overnight). The 2nd roundtrip itinerary (October 18, 2019) visited Bar Harbor ME, Saint John NB, Halifax NS, Sydney NS, Portland ME, and Boston MA. The 3rd (13-night) relocation itinerary NYC-Miami (October 28, 2019) visited the Caribbean ports St Maarten (Philipsburg), Martinique (Fort de France), Barbados (Bridgetown), Grenada (St George), Curaçao (Willemstad) and Aruba (Oranjestad).
Prior to New York, Meraviglia offered a 17-night Transatlantic crossing from Kiel Germany, with call ports in Canada, Denmark, Iceland, the UK.
Passengers booking Meraviglia's inaugural cruises (North American itineraries) beginning January 2, 2018, benefited from early booking rates and additional perks (Wi-Fi, OBC / shipboard credit, mealtime drinks package with unlimited wine and beer / in the ship's Buffet and Main Dining Room restaurants).
MSC Meraviglia User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review