Messina cruise port is known as “the door to Sicily.” The city is located on the largest Mediterranean island (Sicily) off mainland Italy (separated by the Strait of Messina, with width just 3 ml / 5 km).
Messina the island's 3rd biggest city. World-known attraction of the area is the volcano Mt Etna. The city passed a lot of tests over time – revolution (1678, against the Spanish), earthquakes (in 1783 and in 1908) and bombing (in 1943, during World War II). Messina has over 240 thousand citizens. The main resources of the area are cruise tourism, seaport, wine productions and agriculture.
Messina is a popular cruise port of call on many Mediterranean Sea itineraries. Among the 2017 scheduled ship calls, the largest vessels were Majestic Princess (2 visits), AIDAaura (1 visit), MSC Meraviglia (23 visits) and Norwegian Spirit (16 visits).
Highlights: Taormina, Tindari
Messina cruise terminal
Messina cruise port terminal is located in the heart of city downtown. The Piazza del Duomo is within easy walking distance. You can explore Messina old town on foot. Next photo shows Messina port's cruise ship docking piers (no terminal building).
Available in front Messina cruise port terminal are taxis and rent-a-car offices. The rate of the taxi should be negotiated. The closest bus and train stations are located a mile from Messina cruise port terminal at Piazza della Repubblica. There you can catch a train or a bus to the beautiful Taormina.
Messina cruise port is in the itineraries of major cruise lines including Celebrity Cruises, Carnival, Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International, Princess Cruises, Windstar Cruises, Phoenix, MSC Cruises, Holland America Line, Cunard, Seabourn and Silversea.
Messina tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Cathedral of Messina: close to Messina cruise port terminal is located the Cathedral of Messina. The building is with Sicilian Norman architecture and was originally built in the 11th century. The Cathedral was reconstructed two times – after the 1908 earthquake and after the Second World War. The bell tower of the church houses the amazing Orologio Astronomico – one of the largest astronomical clocks in the world.
- Church of the Annunziata dei Catalani: located two street from the Cathedral of Messina, direction east. The church is an original Crusader’s one and was built in the period late 12th – beginning of 13th centuries.
- Museo Regionale: or the Regional Museum is the main museum for art in Mesina. Located two miles from Messina cruise port pier.
- Fountain of Orion: located in adjacent to the Cathedral of Messina, built in 1547 by Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli.
- Porta Grazia: the gate dates from 16th century. It looks like a fortress in the Messina harbour.
- Taormina: located 35 miles from Messina cruise port. The attraction dates from 358BC. It is a well preserved medieval town.
- Mount Etna: the tallest European volcano (10,902 feet) is still active. Most of the cruise lines offer tours to the Mount Etna. If not, it is better to rent a car, because taxi rates from Messina cruise port are not cheap.
- Bus tours along Sicily's highway and the coastal road allow passengers to go to Santa Teresa (between Messina and Taormina). From there, a scenic road leads to the picturesque Savoca - one of the island's most attractive tourist destinations. The village's main street climbs a hill, where three 15th-16th centuries built curches are located, as well as the ruins of a Norman castle. Savoca is also the must-visit place for all “The Godfather” mafia movie fans.
The Messina cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Messina, Taormina, Sicily, Italy.
If you lose the Messina location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Messina cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Messina, Taormina, Sicily, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 September, 2017
4 September, 2017
5 September, 2017
6 September, 2017
8 September, 2017
11 September, 2017
12 September, 2017
14 September, 2017
17 September, 2017
19 September, 2017
20 September, 2017
22 September, 2017
26 September, 2017
28 September, 2017
29 September, 2017
30 September, 2017
Carnival Vista swamped piers and smaller boats moored in port of Messina (Sicily Island, Italy) on August 28, when leaving port. The port of...August 30, 2016
- show more news