Thomson Majesty Review and Specifications
Specifications of Thomson Majesty
|Year built||1992 / Age : 25|
|Builder||Wartsila Marine Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 230 million|
|Owner||Louis Group Plc|
|Operator||Thomson Cruises (UK)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||207 m / 679 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||40876 gt|
|Passengers||1462 - 1970|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||MS Royal Majesty, MS Norwegian Majesty, MS Louis Majesty|
|Christened by||Liza Minnelli|
Review of Thomson Majesty
Launched in 1992, Thomson Majesty is one of the Thomson Cruises ships. Thomson Holidays Majesty ship’s owner is Celestyal Cruises. The vessel was built as ms Royal Majesty, and since 2012 operated under long-therm charter to the biggest tour operator in UK, Thomson Holidays line “Thomson Cruises”.
NEWS: According to the shipowner Louis Group, the Majesty cruise ship will leave Thomson's fleet in the end of 2017 to join Celestyal Cruises fleet. The ship will be deployed in Western Mediterranean to visit smaller cruise ports.
History - construction & ownership
Thomson Cruises is a Thomson-operated British cruise line, that offers low-price voyages around Europe with ships from Holland America Line and Louis Cruise Lines. Initially, the company entered cruise market in 1973. Due to the rising fuel costs, in 1976 it was terminated. Thomson Cruises restarted the cruise line in 1995 and nowadays holds 1% market share of worldwide cruise industry. Thomson Cruises has its own unique place in the British cruise market as cruise division of the largest tour operator and travel agency in Britain. After its foundation in 1965, the company soon established dominant position in the British tour market with own airlines and travel agencies.
The 40,876-ton, 1,506-passenger Thomson Majesty was originally ordered as ms Birka Queen by Birka Line. In 1997 the ship was sold to Norwegian Cruise Line. The vessel has some uncommon for cruise ships features, due to her past, one of which is the highest Finnish-Swedish ice class.
Cruise itinerary program
Most Thomson Majesty staterooms are 110-sq.foot Oceanview (477). There are a total of 727 staterooms in 16 categories. Only 4 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Thomson Majesty are the Grand Suites (400 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
There are five restaurants onboard Thomson Majesty. The open-seating Seven Seas Restaurant offers elegant waiter-service for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Four Seasons Restaurant is a smaller and intimate dining room with the same dining choices as the Seven Seas. Le Bistro is a la carte and boasts stylish interiors and a small cover charge. Cafe Royale buffet spreads 24 hours a day. Guests can enjoy cooked breakfasts and even late-night snacks. Piazza San Marco serves snacks like pizzas and burgers out on the pool deck. Room service can be ordered 24 hours a day for your cabin. Remember the Gala night - weekly Captain’s Gala Dinner and Cocktail Party, worth dressing up for.
Follows the complete list of Thomson Majesty restaurants and food bars.
- Four Seasons Restaurant (the smaller of the two Dining Rooms; offers more intimate atmosphere; dinner only, with 5-course dinner menu)
- Le Bistro Restaurant (French cuisine specialty restaurant, reservations-only with a la carte priced menu; also offers vegetarian choices)
- Seven Seas Restaurant (the bigger Dining Room, open-seating; offers waiter-service Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner; Buffet style dining is offered at breakfast; the restaurant hosts the formal Captain’s Gala Reception and Dinner)
- Cafe Royale (the smaller of the two buffet restaurants; operates as self-service dining venue, part of which are The Chef’s Corners Buffets)
- The Chef’s Corners (offers pancakes, freshly baked waffles, classic fast food; serves the pool area with complimentary fast food and ice cream which costs extra)
- Piazza San Marco Restaurant (casual Lido buffet restaurant with large wraparound panoramic windows).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Thomson Majesty has stylish and well-dressed cabins. Every outside stateroom comes with a picture window. The cruise ship also plays host to five dining venues and the full range of bars and amusement venues – contemporary stylish piano bars and show lounges which bring the passengers the best in amusement. Another of the cruise liner’s standout facilities is its spa. With saunas and themed treatment rooms, which include a couples’ massage room, Sana Wellness Centre is the ultimate relaxation zone. Thomson Majesty cruise ship's children' club takes care of the kids onboard and is full with fun and games. Thomson Kids’ Club comes with the added bonus of an outdoor area and a paddling swimming pool.
The five bars on Thomson Majesty offer stylish atmosphere. The Royal Observatory with its live music and great views is one of the most sophisticated cocktail bars onboard a cruise ship. Rendezvous also offers live music and late-night cabarets. Polo Club is a central bar suitable for pre-drinks. The Coffee Bar is ideal for afternoon pick-me-ups, and Topsiders Bar is a poolside bar for drinks in the sunshine - in the evenings, it’s a setting for deck parties. The two lounges onboard are the Jubilee Lounge, bringing performances from UK guest acts and Thomson Majesty singers, live band sets, game shows, late-night discos; the Royal Fireworks, offering cabarets, quizzes, performances from resident trios. Another opportunity for entertainment is the large Monte Carlo Casino, with full range of slot machines and gaming tables. The stage for pilates and zumba during the day is Frame 52. Two swimming pools are also available for cruisers.
Follows the complete list of Thomson Majesty lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Fireworks Lounge (served by the Wi-Fi spot Rendezvous Bar; daily entertainment features trivia quizzes, bingo games, live piano performances; in the evenings it offers cabarets and live band music)
- Browsers’ Corner (24-hour combined Library and Internet Cafe)
- Broad Street Shops (duty-free shopping arcade with boutiques selling watches, fine jewelry, Thomson Cruises logo merchandise, luxury perfumes, fashion clothes, liquor, tobaccos, convenience goods); Boutique (luxury Spa cosmetics, beauty products)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Card Room; Reading Room; Coffee Bar (Wi-Fi spot)
- Polo Club (a classy cocktail bar with a grand piano and party band)
- Jubilee Lounge (ship’s theater for grand-style evening production shows: music revues, cabaret, comedy acts, live music performances; transforms into a disco nightclubat nights; Afternoon Tea is served on sea days)
- Monte Carlo Casino (served by its own Bar)
- The Frame 52 Disco nightclub (daily wellness classes: Aerobics, personal training, Yoga and Pilates are at extra charge)
- Royal Observatory (indoor observation lounge/Wi-Fi spot)
- Main Pool area (2 swimming pools - one main flanked by two whirlpools, and one adult-only, sunbathing area; served by Pool Bar and Topsiders Bar)
- Thomson Kids’ Club (play area, complimentary; offers supervised age-appropriate activities for kids 3-11 yo); Video Games Arcade; Graffiti’s Teen Area
- Sana Wellness Centre (Spa complex, consisting of Beauty Salon, well-equipped Gym, 4 Treatment Rooms, room with whirlpool tub, Sauna)
- Oceans Spa & Gym (Wellness Centre: Spa treatments, hairdresser/barber services, Massage Rooms, Saunas, Beauty Salon, Relaxation Area; The Gym has a separate Aerobic Studio).
Thomson Majesty wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 16
- Total number of cabins: 727 (of which 6 Suites, 477 Oceanview, 250 Inside, 20 Single, 4 Wheelchair accessible).
- Dining Rooms: Seven Seas (waiter service, open seating, buffet option for breakfast).
- Restaurants and food bars: Four Seasons (waiter service), Le Bistro (a la carte eatery), Cafe Royale (self-service buffet), Piazza San Marco Restaurant (al fresco).
- Lounges & Bars: Jubilee Lounge (cabaret, comedy, late night disco), Royal Observatory, Royal Fireworks Lounge (bingo, quizzes, live music), Topsiders Bar (poolside), Frame 52 Disco (yoga and pilates classes during the day), Polo Club, Card Room.
- Sana Wellness Centre, Beauty Salon and Gym, 3 swimming pools (Main, Adults' and Kids'), 2 jaccuzis, 24-hour Room service (extra charge), Monte Carlo Casino, Thomson Kids' Club, Video Arcade, library with Internet access, gift shops, Photo Gallery, self-service laundrettes.
- The vessel was built in 1992 and originally ordered as "ms Birka Queen" by Birka Cruises. However, it was completed and launched under the name "ms Royal Majesty" and her godmother is Liza May Minnelli (US actress and singer). The ship debuted as a part of Majesty Cruise Line's fleet (operational between 1992-1997, now defunct). Since then the vessel's name (and owner) has been changed 3 times, with former names "Norwegian Majesty" (for NCL Norwegian) and Louis Majesty (Louis Cruises / Celestyal Cruises). The vessel was sold to NCL in 1997 when was enlarged during a drydock refit (lengthened by 34 m / 112 ft) at Lloyd Werft shipyard (Bremerhaven, Germany).
- The ship was part of the 1995's "Titanic Cruise" expedition to the sinking site of RMS Titanic. Royal Majesty carried survivors from the Titanic disaster while parts of the sunken liner were being salvaged.
- Since 2012, the cruise ship (previously "Louis Majesty") is operated under charter by Thomson UK. The operator company has carried out a refurbishment plan on a number of ships (including Majesty), upgrading them to an in-house category "Platinum Status" (akin to 4-star ranking).
The following table shows the ship's last cruise for Thomson UK. The 7 nights / 8 days itinerary (themed
"Spirit of Iberia") was roundtrip from Spain. Prices started from USD 680 pp (double occupancy).
|19 Nov||Departing from Malaga, Spain|
|21 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|22 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Portimao, Portugal|
|23 Nov 09:00 - 19:00||Casablanca, Morocco|
|24 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Gibraltar, UK|
|25 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Cadiz, Spain|
|26 Nov||Arriving in Malaga, Spain|
Thomson Majesty related cruise news
Other Thomson Cruises cruise ships
Thomson Majesty Itineraries 2017
The below listed Thomson Majesty cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Thomson Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
19 September 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Mediterranean Medley
|19 Sep||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|21 Sep 07:00 - 18:00||Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France|
|22 Sep 07:00 - 19:00||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|23 Sep 07:00 - 18:00||Calvi, Corsica, France|
|24 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Marseille, France Riviera|
|25 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Barcelona, Spain|
|26 Sep||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
26 September 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Treasures of the Mediterranean
|26 Sep||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|28 Sep 09:00 - 17:00||Trapani, Sicily, Italy|
|29 Sep 07:00 - 18:00||Sorrento, Italy|
|30 Sep 07:00 - 19:00||Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|01 Oct 09:00 - 17:00||Propriano, Corsica, France|
|02 Oct 10:00 - 18:00||Port Mahon, Menorca Island, Spain|
|03 Oct||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
03 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Mediterranean Medley
|03 Oct||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|05 Oct 07:00 - 18:00||Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France|
|06 Oct 07:00 - 19:00||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|07 Oct 07:00 - 18:00||Calvi, Corsica, France|
|08 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Marseille, France Riviera|
|09 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Barcelona, Spain|
|10 Oct||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
10 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Treasures of the Mediterranean
|10 Oct||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|12 Oct 09:00 - 17:00||Trapani, Sicily, Italy|
|13 Oct 07:00 - 18:00||Sorrento, Italy|
|14 Oct 07:00 - 19:00||Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|15 Oct 09:00 - 17:00||Propriano, Corsica, France|
|16 Oct 10:00 - 18:00||Port Mahon, Menorca Island, Spain|
|17 Oct||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
17 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Spanish Delights
|17 Oct||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|19 Oct 10:00 - 18:00||Cadiz, Spain|
|20 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Casablanca, Morocco|
|21 Oct 09:00 - 15:00||Gibraltar, UK|
|22 Oct 09:00 - 18:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|23 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Valencia, Spain|
|24 Oct||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
24 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Treasures of the Mediterranean
|24 Oct||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|26 Oct 09:00 - 17:00||Trapani, Sicily, Italy|
|27 Oct 07:00 - 18:00||Sorrento, Italy|
|28 Oct 07:00 - 19:00||Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|29 Oct 09:00 - 17:00||Propriano, Corsica, France|
|30 Oct 10:00 - 18:00||Port Mahon, Menorca Island, Spain|
|31 Oct||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
31 October 2017 12 nights / 13 days, one-way from Palma de Mallorca to Malaga
|31 Oct||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|01 Nov 09:00 - 17:00||Barcelona, Spain|
|02 Nov 09:00 - 17:00||Toulon, France Riviera|
|03 Nov 07:00 - 19:00||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|04 Nov 09:00 - 17:00||Ajaccio, Corsica, France|
|05 Nov 07:00 - 19:00||Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|06 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Naples, Italy|
|07 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Messina, Taormina, Sicily, Italy|
|08 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Valletta, Malta|
|10 Nov 12:00 - 18:00||Ibiza, Ibiza Island, Spain|
|11 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|12 Nov||Arriving in Malaga, Spain|
12 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Continental Coasts
19 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Spirit of Iberia