Review of Ritz-Carlton Cruises
Ritz-Carlton Cruises (officially "Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection") is one of the industry's ultra-luxury cruise brands. This new cruise company is owned by Marriott International Inc. On June 22, 2017, the 5-star hotel brand announced its private luxury cruise line starting operations in 2019. The fleet consists of 3 newbuild vessels, with an option to expand to 5 ships.
Beginning in late 2019, the Ritz-Carlton cruise company (based in Miami USA / Coconut Grove) operates a fleet of all three yachts for its Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, based in Coconut Grove. The Yacht Collection venture company was created by Douglas Prothero (former CEO and founder of Canadian Maritime Group) and Lars Clasen (former President of AIDA Cruises).
The Ritz-Carlton cruise brand targets wealthy travelers familiar with the Ritz-Carlton hotel brand, as well as Asia's booming luxury cruising market. As fleet size, vessel capacity and onboard amenities, the company is in direct competition with the top-luxury brands Ponant (Artemis), RSSC Regent (NCLH Norwegian), Norwegian Yacht Voyages and Scenic (main competitors), SeaDream, Windstar (Anschutz Corporation). About 5% of the cruise industry's multi-billion dollar business belongs to luxury brands.
The Yacht Collection brand will most probably have its own loyalty program (different from Ritz-Carlton-owned hotels loyalty program where points are linked with Marriott Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest status).
Ritz-Carlton’s cruise line investment is currently undisclosed. What is known so far is that much of it was financed by the global alternative investment firm Oaktree Capital Management. The firm is experienced in both hospitality and maritime sectors.
In November 2017, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection signed an agreement with Rescompany Systems for implementation of Central Reservations Solution. The booking engine is developed by Rescompany Systems LTD. Its modules provide custom booking solutions for package deals - cruise, tour, hotel, air.
Each of the three yachts (identical sisterships) has passenger capacity 298, crew capacity 246, GT tonnage 24,000 tons and shipbuilding cost USD 225 million (EUR 190 million).
The 623 ft / 190 m long vessels are designed (by Tillberg Design, Sweden) as "mega yacht - small cruise ship" hybrids. Each of these custom-built yachts (dubbed "anti cruise ships") has offers as staterooms 149 balcony suites (with tall ceilings) includibg two Duplex Suites. The fore-located Owner Suites are the largest cabins, featuring floor-ceiling windows (for 270-degree views) and huge wraparound balcony (with private plunge pool).
The yachts are powered by MAN marine diesel engines, as opposed to the new trend of LNG-powered passenger vessels. The diesel electric propulsion is with common rail fuel injection providing better fuel efficiency at various speeds. The ship's propulsion consists of two Azipods - provided by ABB. Azipod D are azymuth thrusters ideal for smaller sized marine vessels as they require lower installed power.
- The unit's electric drive motor is installed in the pod and submerged outside the hull, thus allowing more space for passenger cabins. The pattended Azipod system also produces less vibration. The thrusters have ability to turn 360 degrees which increases the ship's maneuverability and allows access to ports without the need of tugboat assistance.
- The Azipods are part of ABB's medium voltage power plant. It also includes sensors producing realtime data that can be tracked from land-based facilities operated by by both ABB Operations Centers and the customer.
- The Azipod thruster is approx 10% more fuel-efficient in comparison to shaft line propulsion systems. This results in significant reduction of the vessel's operating costs and emissions. The lack of traditional rudders also allows the hull's hydrodynamics to be optimized.
Ritz-Carlton's shipbuilder is Barreras Shipyard (Vigo Spain). The keel-laying ceremony for the first vessel was held on January 11, 2018. The special ceremony was attended by Jose Garcia Costas (shipyard's Chairman), Fredrik Johannson (Tillberg Design's owner), Timthoy Grisius (Virgin's global real estate officer), Douglas Prothero (Ritz-Carlton Cruises' managing director).
The first ship was scheduled for delivery in late 2019. Cruise bookings opened in May 2018.
Shipboard facilities and amenities
Ritz-Carlton's yacht cruising experiences include:
- modern, thoughtfully designed interiors
- premium amenities (such as Ritz-Carlton Spa)
- unique cruise itineraries around the world
- destination-based activities (onboard performances by local artists, musicians), itinerary-based gourmet cuisine (including dishes prepared by local chefs)
- onboard presentations (by local dignitaries and guest lecturers)
- ultra-premium dining (5 venues), including a restaurant by celebrity chef Sven Elverfeld (3 Michelin stars) who presides over Ritz-Carlton's "Aqua" restaurant in Wolfsburg, Germany
- wine bar
- swimming pool (infinity pool)
- (aft-location) watersports marina platform
- Panorama Loubge
- Glass doors open to the sweeping staircase leading to the Lido / pool deck (located aft / on the ship's stern). At the marina are launched the yacht's seakayaks and paddleboards.
- There is an open-air deck space (Marina Bar) with 270-degree panoramic views and covered by a retractable glass roof. It is operated as al fresco dining lounge by day and as a disco nightclub in the evening.
- The ships are without onboard Casino (gaming lounge) and buffets.
- Due to fire and safety regulations, most of the onboard spaces are sectioned off and subdivided, with walls dividing restaurants from lounges and bars. Ritz-Carlton ships pioneer an open floorplan concept (“fluid and transparent”) designed to “break down the traditional boundaries between dining and drinking areas".
- Dining and drinking venues are with small seating capacity and opened around the clock (no assigned seats or fixed dining times). Onboard entertainment includes live performances (jazz and classical) and professional (expert-led) lectures and media presentations. Wi-Fi is free. No casinos on the boats.
- Above the Sun Deck there is a helipad. The ship also carries its own helicopter and a speedboat.
Ritz-Carlton cruise deals bookings will open in May 2018.
Itinerary of Ritz-Carlton Cruises
Ritz-Carlton cruise itineraries range from 7- to 10-days and also include overnight ports of call. According to Doug Prothero (company's managing director), the first ship will be seasonally deployed in Europe, Canada New England, Caribbean and Latin America, with Transatlantic repositioning crossings. The second ship will be deployed in Canada (St Lawrence River and Great Lakes. The third ship will be based in the South Pacific.
Ritz-Carlton offers industry's first "cruise and land vacation" deals provided by a single operator. The deals include pre- and post-voyage stays in Ritz-Carltons hotels in port cities. The new brand's mega-yacht voyages combine Ritz-Carlton’s resort experience with casual yachting vacation. The itineraries visit many unique locations not accessible to larger cruise vessels,
The yachts can also be privately chartered.
On March 7, 2018, Ritz-Carlton Cruises announced company's fleet deployment as inaugural itineraries and shore excursions (in 5 categories). However, departure dates were not announced.
- Christmas Cruise (Caribbean) - ports St Barths, St Maarten, Martinique, Union Island
- New Year Cruise: (Caribbean) - ports Jost van Dyke Island, Tortola Island, Antigua, Monserrat Island
- Caribbean Yachtman's Voyage - ports Scarborough, St Georges Grenada, Union Island, Canouan Island, Bequia
- Christening Voyage (Caribbean) - ports Dominican Republic (Samana, Santo Domingo), Puerto Rico (San Juan , Vieques), Nevis Island, Guadeloupe, Martinique (Fort-de-France)
- Caribbean Yachtman's Voyage (Caribbean) - ports Monserrat Island, Nevis Island, Norman Island, Tortola Island, St Barth Island
- Caribbean Yachtman's Voyage - ports Grenada (St Georges), Trinidad (Scarborough, Tobago Cays), Grenadines (Canouan Island, Union Island)
- Transatlantic Repositioning Cruise - from Caribbean to Canary Islands (Las Palmas, Arrecife)
- Greek Isles Cruise - to the islands Kythira, Santorini, Mykonos, Nafplion
- Monaco F1 Race (Mediterranean - French Riviera) - ports Monte Carlo, Cannes, Calvi, Marseilles, Cassis
- French Riviera Highlights (Mediterranean) - ports Villefranche-Nice, Antibes, St Tropez, Roses
- Balearic Islands Yachtman's Voyage (Mediterranean) - ports Ibiza, Formentera, Mahon, Soller, Palma de Mallorca
- Return Home (Mediterranean) Vigo, Bilbao, Biarritz, Bordeaux
- Baltic Highlights (Baltic) - Copenhagen, Tallinn, St Petersburg (Russia), Mariehamn (Aland Islands), Stockholm
Ritz-Carlton Cruises related cruise news
Two of the newest names in cruise industry soon unveiled details of their new products. Ritz Carlton Cruises initially announced its new 3-ship...March 17, 2018
Ritz-Carlton Hotel announced plans for its luxury cruise line, with 3 ships aimed to set sea starting late 2019. Positioned between a...June 26, 2017
- show more news