Tampa Cruise Port is located on the western coast of Florida. The city of Tampa is 40 miles away from Orlando, direction West. Regency Cruises and HAL were the first lines to commence operating voyages from Tampa Cruise Port in the 1980s. Carnival Cruise Line included the port in 1994.
In 2017, Tampa Port for the first time was poised to handle vessels carrying around 1 million cruise passengers. The number was impressive, considering the height limitations of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (180 feet / 55 m) and the strong competition from larger and better positioned around Florida cruise ports.
- Port's strategy is not bringing in the megaships, but rather attracting smaller and recently refurbished ships with itineraries to easy-to-reach destinations.
- In 2016, the cruise port handled a total of 813,800 passengers.
- During 2017's first quarter (winter cruising season) the port had scheduled 239,301 passengers, which was a 3% increase over 2016. The number of cruise liners homeported in Tampa was also increased - from 5 (in 2016) to 7 (in 2017). One of the new vessels based here for turnaround operations was the Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas - among the not so many ships with itineraries that include Havana, Cuba, starting in April 2017.
- In 2017, Holland America's MS Oosterdam replaced in Tampa the smaller MS Ryndam (now Pacific Aria). Another newly refurbished and upgraded ship returning for round-trip Tampa based itineraries was Carnival Pride - in January 2017, after nearly 3 years (in 2016 homeported in Baltimore).
- In 2018, Carnival Miracle will be repositioned to Tampa for year-round 7-day roundtrip itineraries.
- The port hosts cruise vessels mostly in the period November through April. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Holland America offer regular round-trip cruises oout of Tampa. Their ships here have passenger capacity between 1,000 and 2,600, and operate mostly on itineraries to Western Caribbean ports.
- Beside the the Skyway Bridge's height limitation, Tampa cruise port also has a navigating problem as it is prone to fog, difficult to maneuver and has shallow waters and narrow channels.
The cruise ship schedule from Tampa Cruise Port offers voyages all year long. The most common one is a week voyage around the Caribbean Sea with a lot of possibilities for excursions in Key West, Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya.
Tampa cruise terminal
Tampa port has 3 cruise ship terminals.
Cruise Terminal 2
In the late 1990s, Cruise Terminal 2 creation was incorporated in the Garrison Seaport Center scheme. The terminal offers facilities like customs, cab rank, restrooms, a snack shop and a luggage carts. It has only one wharf.
There is a parking area located at the Channelside multi-storey car lot. It is across the street.
Terminal 2 serves exclusively Carnival Cruise Lines ships.
Cruise Terminal 3
Tampa Cruise Port Terminal 3 was built in 2002. The terminal offers facilities like fast security and luggage carts. The embarkation and disembarkation of passengers is streamlined. It has only one wharf.
There is a parking area located at the Channelside multi-storey car lot. It is across the street. Tampa Cruise Port Terminal 3 serves Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean and Holland America Line.
Cruise Terminal 6
Tampa Cruise Port Terminal 6 is located half a mile away from Terminal 3, direction North. In 2011 it was renovated. It has only one wharf.
There is a parking area at the site. Terminal 6 serves Holland America Line. Parking: is USD 14 daily (Port Authority subject to change).
Tampa tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Get a taste of Florida wildlife on this 2.5-hour sightseeing tour from Tampa. You'll visit Croc Encounters and learn about this sanctuary's conservation efforts and make a stop in Clearwater Beach to see the aquarium where the famous dolphins, Hope and Winter live. For groups of 6 or more please contact The Entourage Tours if you wish to be picked up from your location?
The Entourage Tours Wildlife PM Tours - Tampa | Book Now
- Florida Aquarium: discover the great variety of sea life. You will see Wetlands, Ocean Commotion, Bays and Beaches, Dragons Down Under and Explore A Shore exhibitions. It is next to Tampa Cruise Port Terminal 3.
- SS American Victory: this cargo ship served during the World War II, the Vietnam War and the Korean War. Currently it is a museum docked near the Florida Aquarium. Discover galley, cargo equipment, food hall, lifeboats and the bridge.
- Channelside Bay Plaza: center with many eateries, bars, retail outlets and entertainment places.
- Tampa’s Riverwalk: across the Garrison channel you will be able to see SS American Victory, Florida Aquarium, Channelside Bay Plaza, Tampa Cruise Port Terminal 2, Teco Line Streetcar, Tampa Bay History Center, Florida Museum Of Photographic Arts, MacDill Park, Tampa Museum of Art and Kiley Gardens.
- Ybor City: styled in Cuban way with narrow alleys, brick buildings and iron railings. It has a unique charm with its flamenco dancers and cigars made by hand.
- Henry B Plant Museum: discover the interesting life of the famous railroad tycoon.
- Busch Gardens Theme Park: located 8 miles away from Tampa Cruise Port, direction North.
The Tampa cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Tampa, Florida.
If you lose the Tampa location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Tampa cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Tampa, Florida. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 November, 2017
4 November, 2017
6 November, 2017
11 November, 2017
16 November, 2017
19 November, 2017
20 November, 2017
23 November, 2017
25 November, 2017
26 November, 2017
30 November, 2017
10 November, 2017
In the coming months major cruise lines will start sailing out of Port Tampa Bay to Havana with more than 40,000 passengers spread out over 22...February 25, 2017
Twelve Carnival Cruise Line voyages are getting Cuba treatment: overnight stay in Havana. Carnival Cruise Line announced yesterday it had received...February 15, 2017
It is not often a cruise vacation allows participants “strip down”, but an upcoming nude cruise from Tampa via Bare...January 26, 2017
Port Tampa Bay may have found a formula which works to grow port's long-limited cruise industry. For the first time, in 2017 Port Tampa is...January 19, 2017
Carnival Cruise Line will enhance its leadership position in Long Beach and Tampa with the addition of year-round ships. The line will...November 4, 2016
Port Tampa Bay announced that it had received the designation of Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador, by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric...November 6, 2015
Carnival’s 2,124-passenger Carnival Pride returns to Port of Tampa in order to operate on a series of 5- to 14-day cruises in January and...August 27, 2015
- show more news