Radiance Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Radiance Of The Seas
|Year built||2001 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 350 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||293 m / 961 ft|
|Beam (width)||39 m / 128 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||90090 gt|
|Passengers||2122 - 2546|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||Margot L. Pritzker|
Current itinerary of Radiance Of The Seas
Radiance Of The Seas current cruise is 10 days, one-way from Auckland to Melbourne. The itinerary starts on 13 Feb, 2019 and ends on 23 Feb, 2019.
|Date / Time||Port|
|13 Feb 18:00||Departing from Auckland, New Zealand|
|14 Feb 08:00 - 16:30||Bay of Islands, Russell, New Zealand|
|15 Feb 06:00 - 17:00||Tauranga, Rotorua, New Zealand|
|16 Feb 10:00 - 18:00||Napier, New Zealand|
|17 Feb 09:00 - 18:00||Wellington, New Zealand|
|18 Feb 08:00 - 18:00||Akaroa, New Zealand|
|19 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand|
|20 Feb 16:30 - 18:00||Fiordland National Park, New Zealand|
|23 Feb 06:30||Arriving in Melbourne, Victoria Australia|
Review of Radiance Of The Seas
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is an US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
When Royal Caribbean launched its first-in-class Radiance cruise ship in 2001, guests were impressed by the light which came streaming through her glassy exterior. After 10 years, the cruise line put $20 million into giving the 90,090-ton, 2,139-guest vessel a new identity. During the spring 2011 refurbishment, Radiance of the Seas gained eight dining choices already found on the bigger Oasis and Allure of the Seas, including a Japanese dining venue and Brazilian churrascaria, as well as stateroom upgrades throughout, bow-to-stern Wi-Fi and a huge poolside TV screen. Other additions included a completely new nursery for children aged 6 to 36 months (also an Oasis-class staple), twelve new staterooms, interactive flat-screen TV systems in all accommodations, as well as the installation of touch-screen sensors "wayfinders" throughout to make it easier to find out what's going on where, and how to get there.
Cruise itinerary program
Radiance of the Seas itinerary program is based on Alaska cruises from Vancouver BC (Canada) during the summer months. For the rest of the year, Radiance sails in Australia leaving out of Sydney, as well as to Hawaii on repositioning between Australia and Alaska (Sydney-Vancouver).
Radiance Of The Seas has a total of 1061 cabins (of which 64 Suites, 513 Balcony rooms) in 25 grades. Most Radiance of the Seas staterooms are 165-195-sq.foot balcony rooms and 165-sq.foot insides (243). 15 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Radiance of the Seas are the Royal Suites (950 ft2 /88 m2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The 2-story Cascades is Radiance's main dining room. It features oversized mirrors and columns draped in curtains. The whole space offers an airy ambiance and seats 1110 guests. The Cascades also has two small private dining areas, 30-seat Tides (port side) and 102-seat Breakers (starboard side). Breakfast is served on the lower deck from 8.00 am to 10.00 am offering waiter service menu with the usual breakfast fare of omelettes, bacon, sausages, French toast, pancakes, smoked salmon bagels and a special of the day dish.
The buffet area offers a small selection of pre-made items. Lunch is served from noon to 1.30 pm and features Brasserie 30 menu which enables passengers to complete meals in 30 minutes. It includes a “Tutti” salad bar which offers everything from tomatoes, lettuce, eggs and grated carrot to prawns, tuna, meats, cheeses and breads. The dinner menu offers 9 appetizers to choose from, 10 entree choices, 3 different types of soups, 7 desserts and classics. Additionally the menu lists Chef’s Inspiration which is the recommendations of the Chef for a starter, main and dessert each day.
Follows the complete list of Radiance of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Cascades Restaurant (1110-seat aft Dining Room, with two smaller private dining rooms: 30-seat Tides and 102-seat Breakers)
- Windjammer Cafe lido buffet restaurant (797-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (90-seat specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Giovanni’s Table (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Chefs Table (14-seat gourmet dining room)
- Park Cafe (deli restaurant; complimentary - serves the Solarium area)
- Izumi (74-seat Asian specialty restaurant)
- Rita’s Cantina (84-seat Mexican specialty restaurant)
- Samba Grill (Brazilian steakhouse).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Expect the best onboard Radiance of the Seas. With a huge gym, a rock climbing wall, basketball and volleyball courts, and a relaxing day spa, the list of things to do is going to get larger. You can head over to the pool or wander around the ship to take in the breathtaking views. There is an African safari-themed Solarium, as well as shuffleboard, Bingo, and other organized activities. For the kids, there is Adventure Ocean, the greatest kids facility with various age-appropriate activities for the youngsters. Radiance even boasts an indoor/outdoor country club with golf simulator.
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of Radiance of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Aurora Theatre (868-seat, features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy and games)
- Starquest nightclub disco and lounge
- Photo Gallery and Shop; Art Gallery
- The Centrum (social hub, offers aerial acrobatics entertainment); The Colony Club (102-seat, hosts religious services), Jakarta (45-seat), Singapore Slings (90-seat), Bombay Billiard (8-seat); Seven Hearts (40-seat card room); Crown and Anchor Lounge; Diamond Club and Lounge (34-seat); Explorer’s Lounge; Concierge Club (184-seat suite and past guests only); Viking Crown Lounge and Nightclub
- Lobby Bar (53-seat atrium bar); Cafe Latte-tudes Bar (40-seat specialty coffee bar, Starbucks Coffee); Quill and Compass English Pub (102-seat sports bar); Schooner Bar (144-seat piano bar); Sky Bar
- Centrum Boutiques (duty-free; clothes, perfumes, accessories, jewelry, logo souvenirs, General Store/alcohol and cigarettes)
- Casino Royale (256-seat)
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center; 3 jacuzzis; 2 pools
- Solarium lounge (includes Cafe Bar, pool bar and adults only pool area)
- Cinema (53-seat)
- Video Games Arcade; Optix Teen Disco club; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery
- Adventure Beach; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall; Mini Golf Course.
Radiance Of The Seas wiki
Radiance is Royal Caribbean's first Radiance-class liner, with sisterships Brilliance, Jewel, Serenade. Radiance was built in 2001 by Meyer Werft GmbH (Papenburg, Germany). Ship's godmother was Margot L. Pritzker - wife of Thomas J. Pritzker (member of RCCL's Board of Directors). The naming ceremony was on April 6, 2001. The inaugural cruise (maiden voyage) started from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) on April 17, 2001. The 14-day itinerary around the Caribbean visited Aruba, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Mexico Riviera ports, Los Angeles, and ended in Seattle WA, from where the ship cruised to ports in Canada, Alaska and Hawaii.
Vessel's gas turbine (first on a RCCL ship) makes her more effective in speeding and also results in much lower harmful gases emissions compared with diesel powered vessels.
One of the most beautiful facilities on board is the nautical-themed Schooners Bar with its blue carpet and dark paneling. The pool area is African-themed. You will see three plaster-made huge elephants while listening to animal and bird sounds there.
Radiance Of The Seas refurbishment 2016 review
- Technical repairs included steel replacement and propeller (propulsion unit) maintenance works.
- All passenger cabins were updated.
- Vitality at Sea complex (Shipshape Spa on deck 12) was redesigned. Also on deck 12, the outdoor pool deck area was refreshed.
During refurbishment 2012 (June) were added 7 new dining venues – Samba Grill, Rita's Cantina, Giovanni's Table, Park Cafe, Izumi, Boardwalk Dog House, and Chef's Table (VIP dining). Also new was the Babies & Tots Nursery.
The list of deckplan changes after drydock 2011 refurbishment included:
- new complimentary dining options (deli restaurant “Park Cafe”, and the hotdogs bar “Dog House”)
- new specialty dining options at additional charge (“Giovanni’s Table”/Italian Trattoria, “Izumi”/Asian, “Samba Grill”/Brazilian, “Rita’s Cantina”/Mexican)
- Jumbotron (huge poolside huge movie screen)
- Nursery, English pub
- new lounges (“Diamond” and “Concierge”).
- On the RCCL Radiance there are also 2 new cruise dining packages – “Chef’s” (cost $145 PP, venues included “Chops”, “Giovanni’s”, “Izumi”, “Samba” and “Chef’s Table”, also inclusive of wine) and “Radiance” (cost $75 PP, inclusions “Chops”, “Giovanni’s”, “Izumi” and “Samba”).
The vessel is faster and with better maneuverability compared to all before 2001-built cruise ships. This is due to a modified propulsion system combining powerful bow thrusters, Azipods and dynamic GPS positioning system.
- The ship was designed to operate in both warm and cool regions. It features an abundance of panoramic windows, cabin balconies, glass-walled Atrium, all-panoramic / glass-wall elevators with sea views.
- With the Radiance ship, RCI's signature Viking Crown Lounge was redesigned to become an entertainment complex with several venues - including the Starquest disco nightclub (featuring a revolving bar) and Hollywood Odyssey (intimate bar with Hollywood memorabilia and live entertainment by stand-up comedians and music ensembles). In the following years, these clubs' names were changed, the interior was redesigned and new venues were added - the Concierge Club and Diamond Club.
- The initials GTV (abbrev "gas turbine vessel") can be found on either side of the ship's stern. They relate to the vessel's propulsion. Radiance is the first RCI ship powered by gas-steam turbines. The new-generation power plant has 1 steam and 2 gas turbines (by General Electric) and is more fuel efficient and cleaner (gas turbines burn distillate fuel) than traditional marine diesel engines. The turbines-generated electricity powers the ship's propulsion units (ABB Azipods), All this results in lower exhaust emissions. The ship also features a rotating engine, which results in less vibrations.
- The Radiance ship has an USD 6 million onboard art collection, including paintings and sculptures. Among those is the Centrum's (5-deck high atrium) wire-suspended sculpture (composed of radiating spokes).
- When the vessel debuted in 2001, a novel onboard space was the "Books & Coffee" shop (located forward-starboard on deck 5 and adjacent to Photo Gallery & Shop). The venue combined library, bookstore, coffee bar and Internet Cafe (with 4 PC stations). Currently, its space is occupied by the Focus Art Gallery.
- The ship's Bombay Billiard Club has 2 self-leveling (gyroscope) pool tables. The motorized gyroscope counteracts the vessel's movements and keeps them leveled pretty well. Each of thse gyroscope pool tables costs USD 90,000.
Radiance Of The Seas - user reviews and comments
Photos of Radiance Of The SeasAdd Photo
Radiance Of The Seas ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean recently unveiled its 2020 Alaska summer season. The return of the largest cruise ship to sail Gulf of Alaska, Ovation of the Seas...November 11, 2018
A Royal Caribbean cruise passenger has been charged with attempted murder after he allegedly tried to throw his partner overboard from Radiance of...October 19, 2018
- Cruise Industry
About 166,000 cruise passengers poured US$59 million into Wellington during the past 7 months. The departure of Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the...April 24, 2018
Royal Caribbean informed passengers booked on an upcoming sailing aboard Radiance of the Seas their cruise had been cancelled due to needed...April 4, 2018
A 72-year-old cruise passenger arrived safely to Maui on Wednesday, September 13, after being medevaced 170 mi from a Royal Caribbean ship...September 15, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Radiance of the Seas will make company’s maiden visits to Nukualofa and Vava’u in the Kingdom of Tonga on a 2-week South Pacific voyage...September 27, 2016
A man from California is suing Royal Caribbean, alleging negligence led to unsafe work environment which caused injuries to the plaintiff. Gerald...September 16, 2016
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Radiance Of The Seas Itineraries
The below listed Radiance Of The Seas cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Jan 14||10 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney|
|2019 Jan 24||10 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$929|
|2019 Feb 03||10 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney|
|2019 Feb 13||10 days, one-way from Auckland to Melbourne||Auckland|
|2019 Feb 23||10 days, one-way from Melbourne to Sydney||Melbourne||$1010|
|2019 Mar 05||10 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1017|
|2019 Mar 15||8 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$772|
|2019 Mar 23||12 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1647|
|2019 Apr 04||10 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$1262|
|2019 Apr 14||4 days, round-trip Sampler||Sydney||$449|
|2019 Apr 18||17 days, one-way from Sydney to Honolulu||Sydney||$1823|
|2019 May 05||12 days, one-way from Honolulu to Vancouver||Honolulu||$1161|
|2019 May 17||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1064|
|2019 May 24||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1374|
|2019 May 31||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1104|
|2019 Jun 07||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$881|
|2019 Jun 14||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1094|
|2019 Jun 21||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$881|
|2019 Jun 28||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1124|
|2019 Jul 05||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1102|
|2019 Jul 12||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1082|
|2019 Jul 19||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1214|
|2019 Jul 26||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1074|
|2019 Aug 02||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$881|
|2019 Aug 09||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$832|
|2019 Aug 16||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$959|
|2019 Aug 23||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$811|
|2019 Aug 30||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$684|
|2019 Sep 06||4 days, round-trip Alaska Getaway||Vancouver||$587|
|2019 Sep 10||10 days, one-way from Vancouver to Honolulu||Vancouver||$957|
|2019 Sep 20||19 days, one-way from Honolulu to Sydney||Honolulu||$2165|
|2019 Oct 09||3 days, round-trip Sampler||Sydney||$365|
|2019 Oct 12||7 days, round-trip Cruisin Country 2019||Sydney|
|2019 Oct 19||7 days, round-trip Rock The Boat 2019||Sydney|
|2019 Oct 26||9 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$913|
|2019 Nov 04||8 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$800|
|2019 Nov 12||7 days, round-trip Bravo Cruise Of Performing Arts||Sydney|
|2019 Nov 19||10 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1045|
|2019 Nov 29||9 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$836|
|2019 Dec 08||9 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$822|
|2019 Dec 17||10 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$1178|
|2019 Dec 27||11 days, round-trip South Pacific Holiday||Sydney||$1626|
|2020 Jan 07||11 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1423|
|2020 Jan 18||12 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1101|
|2020 Jan 30||10 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$884|
|2020 Feb 09||16 days, one-way from Sydney to Fremantle||Sydney||$3201|
|2020 Feb 25||18 days, one-way from Fremantle to Sydney||Fremantle||$3411|
|2020 Mar 14||13 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1353|
|2020 Mar 27||11 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1206|
|2020 Apr 07||11 days, round-trip South Pacific||Sydney||$1234|
|2020 Apr 18||17 days, one-way from Sydney to Honolulu||Sydney||$2060|
|2020 May 05||10 days, one-way from Honolulu to Vancouver||Honolulu||$932|
|2020 May 15||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$582|
|2020 May 22||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$631|
|2020 May 29||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$631|
|2020 Jun 05||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$711|
|2020 Jun 12||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$711|
|2020 Jun 19||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$811|
|2020 Jun 26||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$811|
|2020 Jul 03||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$942|
|2020 Jul 10||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$961|
|2020 Jul 17||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$961|
|2020 Jul 24||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$942|
|2020 Jul 31||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$942|
|2020 Aug 07||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$741|
|2020 Aug 14||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$762|
|2020 Aug 21||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$641|
|2020 Aug 28||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$662|