Norwegian Jewel current position
Specifications of Norwegian Jewel
|Year built||2005 / Age: 15|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 390 million|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||93502 gt|
|Passengers||2388 - 2866|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||Melania Knauss-Trump|
Norwegian Jewel Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Mar 18||14 days, one-way from Papeete to Honolulu||Papeete||$1665|
|2021 Apr 01||14 days, one-way from Honolulu to Papeete||Honolulu||$1721|
|2021 Apr 15||14 days, one-way from Papeete to Honolulu||Papeete||$1721|
|2021 Apr 29||11 days, one-way from Honolulu to Vancouver||Honolulu||$1350|
|2021 May 10||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$699|
|2021 May 17||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$699|
|2021 May 24||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$727|
|2021 May 31||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$776|
|2021 Jun 07||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$867|
|2021 Jun 14||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$825|
|2021 Jun 21||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$825|
|2021 Jun 28||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$825|
|2021 Jul 05||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$846|
|2021 Jul 12||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$874|
|2021 Jul 19||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$993|
|2021 Jul 26||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$874|
|2021 Aug 02||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$846|
|2021 Aug 09||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$825|
|2021 Aug 16||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$825|
|2021 Aug 23||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$797|
|2021 Aug 30||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$776|
|2021 Sep 06||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$748|
|2021 Sep 13||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$748|
|2021 Sep 20||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$727|
Norwegian Jewel Review
Review of Norwegian Jewel
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania and RSSC-Regent.
The 93,502-ton, 2,375-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Jewel became operational in August 2005. Built at Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany she was christened on November 3, 2005, during an official ceremony at the Port of Miami. Designed to be in the category of Freestyle Cruising, Norwegian Jewel easily transports 2,400 guests and over 1,000 crew members. The special about this vessel is her speed, restaurant options, and family comfortable accommodations. Norwegian Jewel also gives passengers different options for relaxation like public bars and lounges, well-equipped sports and fitness facilities, and staterooms designed with rich cherry wood finishing.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Jewel itinerary program was drastically changed - from 7-day Caribbean (from homeport Houston TX) to Australia-Asia and Alaska. In 2017-2018, the liner was relocated for an inaugural cruise season in Australia (homeported in Sydney NSW).
In 2018-2019, NCL Jewel is homeported in Sydney NSW, with a winter-spring program offering 7- to 19-day Australia and New Zealand itineraries. In summer 2019, the ship joins Norwegian Joy and Norwegian Bliss in Alaska, operating on 7-day oneway itineraries from homeports Vancouver BC and Seward AK.
In 2019-2020, NCL Jewel returns to Australia - for the 3rd season from Sydney, plus new itineraries from Auckland NZ. Beginning May 11, 2020, the ship is again in Alaska (homeported in Vancouver and Seward) for the 7-day Glacier Bay and Inside Passage itineraries.
Norwegian Jewel has a total of 1188 cabins (of which 360 Balcony, 405 Inside rooms) in 35 grades. Most Norwegian Jewel staterooms are 140-sq.foot Inside rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Jewel is the Haven Garden Villa Suite (2320 ft2).
During the 2-week drydock 2018 refurbishment, all the 1188 passenger staterooms were upgraded with new HDTVs and USB outlets, new carpeting, furniture and artworks. "The Haven" cabin complex received courtyard updates, and all villas and suites received new finishes, tiles, drapes, carpets, artworks and furniture. Additional cabanas were added to Sun Deck. Two new Haven Deluxe Owner Suites were added (max capacity 4 pax, cabin size 1200 ft2 / 112 m2, balcony size 565 ft2 / 53 m2, with terrace whirlpool).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Passengers onboard Norwegian Jewel can seek out their preferred dishes at Cagney's Steak House, Blue Lagoon, and the signature restaurant Le Bistro, or can try the lovely pasta at Mama's Italian Kitchen and tapas at Tangos. The main restaurant, Tsar's Palace, shows the magnificence of St. Petersburg with gold ceilings, shining chandeliers, and ornate balustrades reminiscent of Faberge eggs. An electronic system onboard Norwegian Jewel cuts down on wait times and lines in the restaurants. Monitors throughout the corridors reveal how busy the eateries are, with a bar ranging from green (come on in) to red (crowded). This screen acts as an electronic hostess and lets guests know how long the wait is for a table for four, for example, and where parties are being accepted.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Jewel restaurants and food bars.
- Azura Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French speciality dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Chin Chin (Asian restaurant, dinner-only, complimentary since 2015)
- Sushi Bar (10-seat Chin Chin restaurant, a la carte); Sake Bar (inside Chin Chin)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi speciality, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Tsar’s Palace Restaurant (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar and Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Blue Lagoon (buffet restaurant for fast food; complimentary)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (speciality dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialities; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian speciality restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations); Kid's Cafe
- The Great Outdoors (outdoor buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Topsiders Bar and Grill (poolside, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Jewel's Bora Bora Health Spa and Beauty Salon are managed by Mandara Spa, which fuses eastern and western-style procedures for advanced massage, facials, and more. The sports deck offers the chance for playing basketball, volleyball and tennis, and the Body Waves Fitness Center features state-of-the-art equipment, a hydrotherapy pool, and classes. Children are not forgotten. The Splashdown Kids Club has a swimming pool and an underground sea theme. There are a total of 7 jacuzzis and 3 pools (Sapphire Kid’s Pool) onboard. A 24-hour Internet Cafe is available. Entertainment options also include the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each voyage), "Rock of Ages", "Cirque Dreams", "Illusionarium" (magicians show).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Jewel tipping/gratuities (US$12 pp per day). Norwegian Jewel cruise ship allows weddings (has a chapel on board).
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Jewel lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Stardust Theatre (1042-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night). Two new shows were introduced in 2018 - “Rock You Tonight” (1970banddn songs) and ship exclusive “Velvet” (disco classics, circus acrobatics, cabaret performances).
- Bar City complex (Maltings Beer and Whisky Bar, Shakers Martini and Cocktail Bar and Magnum’s Champagne and Wine Bar); Corona Cigar Bar; Topsiders Bar; Star Bar; Sugarcane Mojito
- Spinnaker Lounge (394-seat, with floor-to-ceiling windows; serves as disco and night club); Java Cafe
- Bliss Ultra Lounge (replacing FYZZ Cabaret Lounge) offers late-night live entertainment and intimate seating.
- The Pit Stop (replacing Sky High Bar and Grill) is a USA 1950s-themed bar retrofitted with gas station signage, vintage license plates and other classic car elements.
- Crystal Atrium (2-deck midship hub area with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe and Bar (speciality tea and coffee bar). During refurbishment 2018, The Atrium received a custom-made chandelier, new flooring, renovated lobby areas (Shore Excursion and Reception desks, new banquette seating, large HDTV).
- Cafe (24-hour); Art Gallery; Photo Gallery and Shop
- LifeStyles Room; Library;
- Card Room; Jewel Club Casino
- Galleria Boutiques/Shopping Alley (tax and duty-free shops); Port O’Call (gift shop)
- Bora Bora Spa complex (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Smile Spa, Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop); Body Waves Fitness Centre; Sapphire Pools; Kid’s Pool
- Splashdown Kid’s Club; Club Underground Teen’s Lounge and Disco Club; Video Games Arcade
- The Haven area Courtyard Fitness and Spa complex (Villas-guests only, Steam Room, Gym)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Combined sports court; Jogging Track; Golf Nets; Shuffleboard, Giant Chess.
Norwegian Jewel - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian JewelAdd Photo
Norwegian Jewel ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
On Saturday, June 13, the NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line ship Norwegian Jewel departed on an unusual journey. The vessel, which has been anchored off...June 15, 2020
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line revealed it will be cancelling all itineraries in Australia and New Zealand planned for 2020. NCL, which deployed...June 11, 2020
Cunard Line announced that company's all scheduled for 2020 Alaska itineraries had been cancelled. The Cunard ship Queen Elizabeth, which visited...April 26, 2020
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line announced it is re-categorizing fleetwide the Mini-Suite staterooms, also renaming them and adding free perks. NCL’s...April 17, 2020
The Hawaii Department of Transportation Harbors Division notified the public that additional cruise ships were planning to enter Honolulu Harbor for...March 25, 2020
The nearly 1,700 passengers on Norwegian Jewel began disembarking on Monday, March 23, at Honolulu Harbor, despite the 30-day state pause on cruise...March 23, 2020
Two cruise liners are due to dock at Honolulu Harbor Hawaii at the end of the week but their passengers will not be allowed to disembark. Both...March 19, 2020
An NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line ship with thousands of Australians is currently stranded in the Pacific Ocean after passengers were prevented from...March 17, 2020
Cruise passengers arriving in Sydney will be assessed by health experts for the deadly coronavirus in order to prevent the spread of the disease. On...February 16, 2020
A passenger has fallen overboard from a Norwegian Cruise Line's ship close to Mahia (New Zealand's North Island). Emergency services are still...December 29, 2019
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Jewel Wiki
- Jewel is the first of the Jewel-class NCL ships. Her sisters in the fleet are the NCL ships Gem, Jade and Pearl. The ship was christened on November 3, 2005, at PortMiami. The vessel's godmother is the wife of the real estate magnate (multi-multibillionaire and future US President) Donald Trump - Melania Trump (Slovenian, born Apr 26, 1970). Later, Mr Trump required a 30 sec long TV commercial reviewing the new NCL ship to be placed during one of the episodes of “The Apprentice” (reality game TV series).
- The Inaugural Cruise (Maiden Voyage) was on August 10, 2005 (Mediterranean/Europe), Caribbean Inaugural on November 4, 2005 (from Port Miami).
- NCL Jewel, just like the fleet mate Pearl, was a TV commercial star. The "big show" was for about 30 sec in one of the episodes of the NBC's "The Apprentice" TV-series (US game show hosted by Mr Trump).
- During NCL Jewel's 2014 drydock refurbishment, the ship was retrofitted with new "scrubbers" (exhaust gas cleaning systems). The new scrubber technology reduces the equivalent of approx 1500 tons of the poisonous gas Sulfur Oxide. Norwegian Cruise Line was the first cruise company retrofitting with a scrubber hybrid system vessels while in service. The new in-line scrubbers (5 units) are lightweight and able to operate in a dry mode, as well as in open and closed loops.
Asia-Australia itineraries 2017-2018
For winter 2017-2018 season, NCL Jewel ship was relocated from USA-California to Asia-Australia. The new itinerary program offered departures from Australia and Singapore (starting Nov 2017). The new deployment was announced in June 2016. During the inaugural Australian season, the liner was homeported in Sydney NSW.
- All Australian early bookings (by August 31, 2016) were eligible for complimentary all-inclusive deals covering everything (including beverage packages and discounted family fares).
- The 39-day repositioning cruise from Vancouver Canada to Sydney via Hawaii (October 3, 2017) was priced from just AUD 7417 pp (inside cabin, double occupancy).
- The 40-day repositioning cruise from Sydney to Tokyo Japan (February 20, 2018) was priced from just AUD 5973 pp (inside cabin, double occupancy).
- Season's shortest itinerary (5-day roundtrip Sydney to Tasmania - Hobart and Burnie, departure November 12, 2017) was priced from AUD 1147 pp.
- NCL's Australian cruises were all 7x roundtrips from Sydney (5-day to Tasmania, plus a 9-day South Pacific Islands) and all 10x 16-day Australia-New Zealand cruises (Nov 2017 through Feb 2018). Followed 18-day Australia to Asia repositioning (Sydney to Singapore, February 20, 2018).
- In Asia were scheduled itineraries visiting ports in Vietnam, Japan, China (incl Hong Kong), Singapore, South Korea.
NCL Jewel refurbishment 2018 review
During the 2-week drydock 2018 in Singapore (Oct 22 - Nov 5), all the 1188 passenger staterooms were upgraded with new HDTVs and USB outlets, new carpeting, furniture and artworks.
- "The Haven" cabin complex received courtyard updates, and all villas and suites received new finishes, tiles, drapes, carpets, artworks and furniture. Additional cabanas were added to Sun Deck. Two new Haven Deluxe Owner Suites were added (max capacity 4 pax, cabin size 1200 ft2 / 112 m2, balcony size 565 ft2 / 53 m2, with terrace whirlpool).
- The Atrium received a custom-made chandelier, new flooring, refurbished lobby areas (Shore Excursion and Reception desks, new banquette seating, large HDTV).
- All dining and beverage menus were updated.
- Two old bar lounges were replaced with new - Bliss Ultra Lounge (replacing FYZZ Lounge) and The Pit Stop (replacing Sky High Bar). The Pit Stop (Deck 13) is an American 1950s-themed bar retrofitted with gas station signage, vintage license plates and other classic car elements. Bliss Ultra Lounge (Deck 7) offers late-night live entertainment and intimate seating.
- On NCL Jewel were also introduced 2 new theatre shows - “Rock You Tonight” (1970s band songs) and ship exclusive “Velvet” (disco classics, circus acrobatics, cabaret performances).
Drydock 2018 was part of NCL's "Norwegian Edge" program for fleetwide upgrades (2-year project budgeted USD 400 million). Each drydock costs around USD 35-40 million.
NCL Jewel refurbishment 2014 review
The list of deckplan changes after drydock 2014 refurbishment (May 3-17) includes:
- renovation of all Penthouse Suites, and of the Horizon and Spinnaker lounges, Casino and Photo Gallery updates
- new custom-made furnishings
- (Deck 8) added “O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill” (fast food complimentary dining venue)
- (Deck 13) relocated Moderno Churrascaria (steakhouse), with the new Sugarcane Mojito Bar added
- (Deck 7) Carlo’s Bake Shop added in Java Cafe
- (Decks 11 and 12) new furniture in relaxation areas
- changed wall coverings, new lighting, carpeting and flooring throughout public areas
- windows were replaced, galley areas were upgraded, pool deck 12 was updated
- digital signage (interactive touchscreen terminals allow passengers to order items, get directions around the ship and also to make dining and shore excursions reservations using only their cabin key)
- Dry-dock technical enhancements:
- Azipod upgrade, stabilizers maintenance, shore power connectivity
- new exhaust gas scrubbers were installed reducing fuel emissions and energy consumption
- hull was painted with a new type of silicone paint improving fuel efficiency
- safety updates: upgraded lifeboat/tender boats release system; ballast and bilge piping replacement.
Norwegian Jewel User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review