Celebrity Summit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Celebrity Summit
|Year built||2001 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 350 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||90940 gt|
|Passengers||2158 - 2590|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium|
|Former names||GTS Summit|
|Christened by||Paulina Rider Wilhemsen|
Current itinerary / position of Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit current cruise is 7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise. Prices start from USD 619 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 09 Nov, 2019 and ends on 16 Nov, 2019.All Itineraries Current Position
|Date / Time||Port|
|09 Nov 20:30||Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico hotels|
|10 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Tortola Island, Road Town, BVI|
|11 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles|
|12 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Roseau, Dominica|
|13 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|14 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||St Georges, Grenada|
|16 Nov 06:00||Arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico hotels|
Review of Celebrity Summit
Launched in 2001, Celebrity Summit is the 3rd of the Millennium-class Celebrity cruise ships, together with Constellation, Infinity and Millennium. Celebrity Cruises Summit ship is scheduled for "Celebrity Revolution" drydock refurbishment on March 23, 2019.
History - construction and ownership
Celebrity Cruises line was founded in 1988 as the Greece-based Chandris Line (cruise shipping operations between 1974-1996). In 1997, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) merged with "Celebrity Cruises Ltd" to become "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd" (RCCL). The "X" on ship funnels is the Greek letter chi (standing for "Chandris"). Common features of Celebrity Cruises ships include aft located glass-walled dining rooms, signature alternate dining venues, bars and lounges, spacious Atrium lobby areas, a large number of balcony staterooms, large sundecks with swimming pools, The Retreat (adults-only sundeck with full-size swimming pool, Jacuzzi, cabanas, poolside full bar service). Rooftop Terrace (top-deck outdoor lounge-restaurant-cinema), large Spa (with Thermal Suites), premium retail shops selling top-brand merchandise.
The 90,940-ton, 2,160-passenger cruise ship Celebrity Summit was built in 2001 by Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard (St.Nazaire, France) as GTS Summit for Celebrity Cruises. The ship was renamed with a "Celebrity" prefix in 2008. The Summit features a special restaurant with original panels and ornamentation from SS Normandie, including the bronze statue "La Normandie" bought in 2001 from Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami, Florida.
Cruise itinerary program
Celebrity Summit itinerary program is based on 7-day Caribbean roundtrips with departures from San Juan Puerto Rico. During summer, the ship cruises to Bermuda leaving from NYC (Cape Liberty, New Jersey). The liner also cruises to Canada-New England on Fall Foliage voyages.
In 2017, Summit inaugurated the Bermuda voyages from Bayonne NJ and a 9-day Canada-New England itinerary. In 2018, the ship was homeported in Fort Lauderdale. Caribbean itineraries included 4-day roundtrips to Key West and Nassau, and 5-day roundtrips to Key West and Cozumel Mexico, with several sea days.
In 2019, the liner started a North American season with an expanded cruise program including 19 destinations in 7 different countries. The ship also offers more in-port hours at record 56 stops, docking in 39 call ports for over 12 hours. New 10-day itineraries in summer 2019 visit USA's historic Charleston SC and Bermuda. A new 7-day itinerary visits Bermuda with Newport RI and also circles Liberty Island. In August, the Summit ship offers transatlantic two crossings between North America and Europe. The 14-day itineraries are from New York to Dublin, then the westbound from Dublin to Boston. Both voyages visit Greenland (company's first time) - Prins Christian Sund and Qaqortoq. Following the summer season, the ship is homeported in Boston for 12-day Canada and New England Fall Foliage cruises.
Celebrity Summit has a total number of 1079 cabins (of which 68 Suites, 844 Balcony rooms) in 28 grades. Most Celebrity Summit staterooms are 170-190-sq.foot Balcony rooms (844). Almost 60% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 26 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Celebrity Summit are the Penthouse Suites (1430 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The 2-level Cosmopolitan Restaurant has sophisticated decor that is accented by the 7-foot-high bronze statue La Normandie, of a woman who is draped like the goddess Athena. This statue, created by Art Deco sculptor Leon-Georges Baudry, originally graced the smoking room in the legendary SS Normandie. The dining room has a sweeping staircase specially created for grand entrances on formal nights. It also boasts a 2-level glass wall with panoramic views. Blu is exclusive to guests sailing in AquaClass cabins. It features modern decor and spa-inspired cuisine. The restaurant features lighter dishes and smaller portions of what you typically find in the MDR or buffet. On the casual front, the Oceanview Cafe serves buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It provides various carving stations, pasta dishes, pizza, antipasti, made-to-order omelets, and internationally inspired dishes, including British bangers and Indian curries.
Follows the complete list of Celebrity Summit restaurants and food bars.
- Normandie Restaurant (134-seat reservations only specialty restaurant; offers French and American cuisine, Five Senses tasting menu, Champagne High Tea Time, with Demonstration Kitchen for live cooking shows and Wine Cellar annex). In 2016, the Normandie Restaurant was replaced by Tuscan Grille - steakhouse offering fresh (on the ship made) pasta, Italian cocktail menu, Italian wines list, premium meats (including oven-roasted USDA dry-aged steak).
- Cosmopolitan Restaurant (1,111-seat aft Dining Room, with open seating Breakfast 8:00-9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00-1:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 4:00-5:00 p.m., and two fixed Dinner seatings - at 6:00 and 8:30 p.m.)
- Bistro on Five (60-seat creperie all-you-can-eat restaurant; offers lunch and dinner with table-side service)
- Blu (102-seat AquaClass passengers only restaurant, reservations required; also serves Suite guests upon availability)
- AquaSpa Cafe (122-seat complimentary Solarium and Spa bar, self-service; offers healthy food choices for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)
- Waterfall Cafe & Grill (679-seat indoor/outdoor self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; open between 6:30 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, with a variety of food stations)
- Mast Bar (alfresco burger bar, poolside; offers complimentary lunch)
- Qsine (84-seat dinner only specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- In 2016, on deck 12 was added the Rooftop Terrace - a multi-functional venue with modular furniture and cabanas. It is operated as an outdoor bar lounge during the day. By night, Rooftop Terrace is transformed by decorative lighting, and on its large LED screen are showcased movies and other entertainment. The unique open-air experience is combined with food options available for purchasing. Signature dishes are presented in unique serving vessels themed after the cruise itinerary destination or the special occasion.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The atmosphere onboard Celebrity Summit is calm and sophisticated. Guests have no chance to miss the magnolia garden and the swimming pools (outdoor and indoor). As a special surprise, the vessel has teamed up with Cirque du Soleil for a nice sea experience. As part of this experience, in the evening people onboard are invited to enter into another world of sounds, visual effects, and mystical lights, to taste specialty drinks and hors-d'oeuvres. The gym equipment is at the top level, and there are also 16 treatment rooms. Ship's Aquadome and Riviera include 4 swimming pools, 2 air beds, 6 whirlpools, a bandstand, dance floor, sun shop, and buffet for post-swim snacks. There are basketball and football fields, table tennis and volleyball, as well as golf simulator and jogging track.
Follows the complete list of Celebrity Summit lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Summit Theatre (900-seat show lounge for grand musical and show productions; hosts daily trivia games, bingo, classes, movies)
- Summit Atrium “Grand Foyer” (3-deck open floor area with live music entertainment)
- Michael’s Club (piano bar); Martini Bar; Crush Bar (with a 12-seat table filled with ice cubes in the middle)
- Photo Gallery & Shop
- Summit Fortunes Casino
- Celebrity iLounge (24-hour Internet cafe/computers room; sells Apple computers; classes available)
- Rendez-Vous Lounge & Nightclub
- The Emporium shopping alley (Atrium boutique shops for duty-free alcohol and tobaccos, watches, luxury jewelry, accessories, fashion clothing, logo items)
- Cafe Al Bacio & Gelateria (63-seat a la carte specialty coffee, patisserie, ice cream; with the Gelateria - Italian Gelato ice cream bar)
- Cellar Masters (24-hour Wine Bar; features an Enomatic wine tasting system; provides Sommelier consultations in the evenings)
- Art Gallery; Library; Cinema
- Acupuncture Treatments Room; Aquaspa & Fitness complex with Persian Garden (Thermal Suite - rain shower, steam room, sauna, heated loungers), Therapy and Treatment Rooms, Hair & Beauty Salon, Solarium (adults area) and Aquaspa Cafe (spa bar)
- Fitness Center (with separate Aerobics area)
- Solarium Pool area (with adults-only Thalassotherapy Pool and seawater lap pool; 2 Whirlpools)
- Waterfall Pool area (with Splash Pool for kids and 4 Whirlpools, outdoor pool bar, served by the Pool Grill)
- Sunset Bar (alfresco bar, selling fine cigars)
- Revelations Lounge (observation lounge during the day, show lounge & dance club in the evening)
- Kids clubs by age (Fun Factory 3-11 yo, Shipmates 3-5 yo, Cadets 6-8 yo, Ensigns 9-11 yo, with supervised age-appropriate activities, like arts-crafts, themed parties, games, movies, toys, interactive games, scavenger hunts)
- X-Club (teen-only disco and lounge area); Video Games Arcade
- Tennis Tables, Shuffleboard; Power Walking/Jogging Track; Multi-sports outdoor court; Sun Deck area.
Celebrity Summit - user reviews and comments
Photos of Celebrity SummitAdd Photo
Celebrity Summit ship related cruise news
Two male crew of MS Celebrity Summit have been rescued from the waters of St Lawrence River on Monday, September 30, after they intentionally jumped...October 4, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Three cruise ships were scheduled to dock in Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island, Canada) on Wednesday, October 2, but two of them canceled their...October 3, 2019
A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter crew has hoisted a 7-year-old girl and her parent from Celebrity Summit on Monday, July 8, after the vessel departed...July 9, 2019
Coast Guard officer has helped rescue a 61-year-old female passenger with chest pains from a Celebrity Cruises ship in New York Harbor Sunday...May 27, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Celebrity Summit completed a dramatic transformation. The revitalization of the ship is the next chapter of THE CELEBRITY REVOLUTION, line's...March 26, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Celebrity Cruises is joining forces with a couple of legendary names in the culinary and entertainment worlds, the Michelin-starred Chef Daniel...February 18, 2019
The Celebrity Summit cruise ship was stuck In San Juan, Puerto Rico, due to what the passengers understood to be either a propulsion issue or...January 19, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Celebrity Cruises’ 2020-2021 season is expected to be the most expansive yet, with more destinations and time to explore North America...December 22, 2018
A 61-year-old crew member on Bermuda-bound Celebrity Cruises ship has been airlifted on Monday, August 27, after suffering heart attack in the waters...August 28, 2018
While sailing in Southern Caribbean sea out of Antigua to Curacao last week (December 16), Captain McCue’s cruiser Celebrity...December 26, 2017
- show more news
Other Celebrity Cruises cruise ships
Celebrity Summit Wiki
Celebrity Cruises Summit ship is one of company's Millennium-class liners, with sisterships Constellation, Infinity, Millennium. Originally named "GTS Summit", this is the 3rd Millennium-class vessel with inaugural cruise/maiden voyage on October 1, 2001.
The Summit cruise ship was extensively drydock refitted and refurbished ("Solsticized") in January 2012. During the 3-week long drydock, all public spaces and staterooms were renovated, 60 cabins and 107 AquaClass cabins were added. AquaClass passengers have free access to the specialty restaurant Blu and Persian Garden's thermal suite. They also enjoy Hansgrohe spa showers in the cabin bathrooms. Among the other Solstice-class upgrades were the replacement of Champagne Bar (with Martini Bar), Qsine replaced the Conservatory Lounge, Internet Cafe is now iLounge.
Fun fact about the Summit ship is that its main restaurant is decorated with original SS Normandie (1932-built ocean liner) ornamentation and panels, including the "LA NORMANDIE" (bronze statue) bought from Fontainebleau Hotel in 2001.
Celebrity Summit refurbishment 2019 review
Ship's March 2019 drydock (done in Freeport Bahamas) resulted in the following changes:
- The vessel received company's new color scheme (hull and superstructure).
- All passenger staterooms were redesigned (via partnership with Hirsch Bedner Associates USA, and Kelly Hoppen UK) for a boutique hotel feel. All cabins were upgraded with "Celebrity eXhale" bedding (cashmere mattresses), electronic locks (RFID technology), Xcelerate (fast Internet), Bluetooth capabilities.
- The completely redesigned Qsine Restaurant was added. It offers "Le Petit Chef" (virtual dining-entertainment experience) created by Skullmapping and presented by TableMation Studios - exclusively for Celebrity Cruises.
- Main Dining Rooms, Oceanview Cafe (buffet restaurant) and Sunset Bar were redesigned and upgraded with new textures and finishes.
- The SPA was upgraded with an expanded SEA Thermal Suite.
- Retail shopping was expanded with new brands - including Hublot (luxury Swiss watches) and Shinola (luxury watches, jewelry, premium leather goods).
- Luminae Restaurant (Suites-only) was redesigned and new custom-made menus (by chef Cornelius Gallagher) were introduced.
- Added was The Retreat (adults-only sundeck) with full-size swimming pool, Jacuzzi whirlpool, private cabanas, padded loungers, poolside bar service (food and drinks).
- Most public venues (including all bars and lounges) were renovated, including Passport Bar (Atrium lobby bar lounge) and Gastrobar (serving 40+ craft beers).
- The refurb project was supervised by Trimline (UK).
Summit became fleet's 2nd liner (after Millennium) upgraded by the "Celebrity Revolution" fleet renovation program - budgeted USD 500 million and scheduled for the period 2019-2023.
Celebrity Summit Itineraries
The below listed Celebrity Summit cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Celebrity Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Oct 26||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$529|
|2019 Nov 02||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan|
|2019 Nov 09||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$619|
|2019 Nov 16||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$549|
|2019 Nov 23||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$879|
|2019 Nov 30||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$609|
|2019 Dec 07||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$649|
|2019 Dec 14||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$639|
|2019 Dec 21||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Holiday||San Juan||$869|
|2019 Dec 28||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Holiday||San Juan||$1329|
|2020 Jan 04||10 days, round-trip Lesser Antilles Caribbean||San Juan||$1099|
|2020 Jan 14||11 days, round-trip Dutch Antilles Caribbean||San Juan||$1609|
|2020 Jan 25||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$989|
|2020 Feb 01||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$919|
|2020 Feb 08||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$1019|
|2020 Feb 15||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$969|
|2020 Feb 22||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$929|
|2020 Feb 29||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$869|
|2020 Mar 07||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$919|
|2020 Mar 14||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$969|
|2020 Mar 21||7 days, round-trip Atlantis Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan|
|2020 Mar 28||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$869|
|2020 Apr 04||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$919|
|2020 Apr 11||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$919|
|2020 Apr 18||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$869|
|2020 Apr 25||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$849|
|2020 May 02||7 days, one-way from San Juan to New York||San Juan||$796|
|2020 May 09||10 days, round-trip Bermuda, Newport And Charleston||New York||$1799|
|2020 May 19||9 days, round-trip Maine & Canada Cruise||New York||$1089|
|2020 May 28||9 days, round-trip Maine & Canada Cruise||New York||$1169|
|2020 Jun 06||10 days, round-trip Bermuda, Newport And Charleston||New York||$1899|
|2020 Jun 16||12 days, round-trip Boston, Maine & Canada Cruise||New York||$1819|
|2020 Jun 28||7 days, round-trip Bermuda & Newport Cruise||New York||$1349|
|2020 Jul 05||7 days, round-trip Bermuda & Newport Cruise||New York||$1319|
|2020 Jul 12||7 days, round-trip Bermuda & Newport Cruise||New York||$1309|
|2020 Jul 19||7 days, round-trip Bermuda & Newport Cruise||New York||$1319|
|2020 Jul 26||7 days, round-trip Bermuda & Newport Cruise||New York||$1339|
|2020 Aug 02||14 days, one-way from New York to Dublin||New York||$2919|
|2020 Aug 16||14 days, one-way from Dublin to Boston||Dublin||$3439|
|2020 Aug 30||12 days, round-trip Boston, Maine & Canada Cruise||Boston||$1869|
|2020 Sep 11||12 days, round-trip Boston, Maine & Canada Cruise||Boston||$1869|
|2021 Mar 13||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$969|
|2021 Mar 20||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$869|
|2021 Mar 27||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$919|
|2021 Apr 03||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$889|
|2021 Apr 10||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$819|
|2021 Apr 17||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$915|
|2021 Apr 24||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Cruise||San Juan||$819|
Celebrity Summit User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review