MS Viking Sun Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Viking Sun
|Year built||2005 / Age : 13|
|Builder||Royal IHC Merwede Shipyards (Kinderdijk, Holland)|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||133 m / 436 ft|
|Beam (width)||12 m / 39 ft|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Rhein Symphonie, Rhein Melodie|
Review of MS Viking Sun
MS Viking Sun was built in 2005 in Kinderdijk (Holland). The riverboat cruises on Rhine River departing from Amsterdam and Basel and visiting ports and cities in Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland. The sisterships Viking Helvetia (now named Rhein Symphonie) and Rhein Melodie are operated by Nicko Tours.
MS Viking Sun river ship has a total of 99 cabins for 198 passengers. Upper Deck cabins are all French Balcony staterooms with floor-ceiling glass doors opening to a railing (false balcony). Middle Deck cabins are with 1 large (wall-to-wall) opening window (size size 2x1,2 m). Upper and Middle deck staterooms are sized 15 m2 (160 ft2).
Main Deck cabins are same-sized (15 m2) and with 1 non-opening window (half-height, size 150x70 cm) located near the ceiling. Single cabins are smaller (12 m2 / 130 ft2), with 1 non-opening window (half-height) and 2 lower beds - 1 sofabed (sized 190x80 cm) and 1 foldaway / Pullman bed (sized 170x80 cm).
All cabins are equipped with standard hotel beds (2 twins convertible to double 2x1,6 m), bedside tables, under beds space for suitcases, dimmer lighting, wardrobe, mirrored dressing table (writing desk) with chair, small table with 2 armchairs, en-suite bathroom (glass-door shower, WC, wash basin, razor plug), hairdryer, flat TV (satellite reception), electronic safe box (in the closet), mini-fridge, phone (intercom / onboard only), bowl with fresh fruits, complimentary bottled water (supplied daily), individually controlled air-conditioning.
Viking Sun river ship has a fore-located Dining Room Restaurant (on Middle Deck) with floor-ceiling windows, single-seating capacity and open seating arrangement. Dining Room menu includes both traditional dishes (itinerary-based on visited countries) and international cuisine specialties. Fine wines and gourmet delicacies are also offered. The Dining Room and the Lounge (Upper Deck) can be accessed directly from the Lobby (Middle Deck) via grand staircase.
On Middle Deck is also the Lobby (ship entrances) with seating area, 24-hour Coffee corner (complimentary coffee, tea, fruits, sparkling water, pastries, cookies), Reception Desk (24-hour guest services and assistance), Tour Office (Cruise Director, excursions information and booking), Public Restrooms, Boutique Shop (selling gifts and souvenirs, magazines, convenience goods), Aft-located Library Lounge has comfortable seating (sofas and armchairs), floor-ceiling windows, selection of books (mainly history- and travel-themed), magazines, playing cards, board games (including chess and backgammon). Three staircases connect all decks. The ship has no Lift (passenger elevator), Swimming Pool (or Jacuzzi), Hair Salon, wellness complex (Fitness, Sauna, Spa),
Sun Deck has retractable Awnings (shaded seating areas with 4-seat tables and chairs, full bar service), sunbathing area (sunloungers and deckchairs) and deckgames area (Giant Chess Set). Sun Deck's wheelhouse, all railings and awnings are retractable to allow passing under low bridges.
The fore-located on Upper Deck Bar Lounge has floor-ceiling windows, comfortable seating (small round tables with armchairs), dance floor, grand piano (live performances by resident pianist) and its own Bar. Onboard entertainment includes daily live music performances, cooking demonstrations, quiz games, bingo, crew show, themed dance nights, watching movies (drop-down screen), enrichment lectures and media presentations (related to the cruisetour itinerary's destinations, ports, excursions), food and wine tasting events.
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Sun river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "RHINE GETAWAY" are 7-days (also themed "German Christmas Markets") river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Holland offers an optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package. Disembarkation in Switzerland (Basel offers an optional 2-night Lucerne hotel package (on Lake Lucerne in the Swiss Alps).
- Feature port activities along the route are Kinderdijk (the windmills network tour, food sampling of hand-made Dutch cheeses, jenever /juniper liquor, and sjoelen playing /table shuffleboard), Koblenz (the Marksburg Castle and museum tour), Rudesheim (Drosselgasse), Mannheim (bus tour to Heidelberg, embarkation again in Speyer), Kehl (tour to Strasbourg), Breisach (the "Black Forest" outdoor museum, cuckooclock-making workshop, with an optional Colmar town excursion).
- Viking Sun river cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, all tours/excursions, land transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water. To / from riverboat transfers and airport meet-and-greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
Next are listed exemplary itineraries with port dates:
- (Sunday) 7-day from Amsterdam - Oct 18 (Amsterdam, dep), Oct 19 (Kinderdijk), Oct 20 (Cologne), Oct 21 (Koblenz), Oct 22 (Heidelberg), Oct 23 (Strasbourg), Oct 24 (Breisach am Rhein), Oct 25 (Basel).
- (Sunday) 7-day from Basel - Oct 25 (Basel, dep), Oct 26 (Breisach am Rhein), Oct 27 (Strasbourg), Oct 28 (Heidelberg), Oct 29 (Koblenz), Oct 30 (Cologne), Oct 31 (Kinderdijk), Nov 01 (Amsterdam).