MS Viking Sun Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Viking Sun
|Builder||Royal IHC Merwede Shipyard (Hardinxveld-Giessendam, Holland)|
|Owner||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||133 m / 436 ft|
|Beam (width)||12 m / 39 ft|
|Passengers||99 - 198|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of MS Viking Sun
The Viking Sun boat cruises on Rhine river in Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland, departing from Amsterdam and Basel.
Viking Sun was designed for sailing in comfort along the Rhine river. Her higher ceilings give a spacious feeling. The entire ship was set up for best viewing of scenery and in addition to the French balconies, large picture windows and hotel-style beds, guests can enjoy the open air decks during their sailing. The observation restaurant and deck feature huge panoramic windows. Ship’s lobby atrium also offers a seating area with large observation windows. Viking Sun boasts 99 outside staterooms, of which 37 French Balcony, 32 Standard and 30 Deluxe. The Sun deck features 360-deg. views and provides shaded sitting area. Benefit from the onboard boutique, library and free wireless internet service shipwide.
Viking Sun river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. On some Viking Sun cruise tours, the line offers round-trip USA airfare discount deals (on select cabins or itineraries/dates).
River Cruise Itineraries
Follows the list of Viking Sun river cruise itineraries as themes, officially announced by the Viking Cruises line:
- "RHINE GETAWAY" are 7-days (also themed "German Christmas Markets") river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Holland offers an optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package. Disembarkation in Switzerland (Basel offers an optional 2-night Lucerne hotel package (on Lake Lucerne in the Swiss Alps).
- Feature port activities along the route are Kinderdijk (the windmills network tour, food sampling of hand-made Dutch cheeses, jenever /juniper liquor, and sjoelen playing /table shuffleboard), Koblenz (the Marksburg Castle and museum tour), Rudesheim (Drosselgasse), Mannheim (bus tour to Heidelberg, embarkation again in Speyer), Kehl (tour to Strasbourg), Breisach (the "Black Forest" outdoor museum, cuckooclock-making workshop, with an optional Colmar town excursion).
Next are listed exemplary itineraries with port dates:
- (Sunday) 7-day from Amsterdam - Oct 18 (Amsterdam, dep), Oct 19 (Kinderdijk), Oct 20 (Cologne), Oct 21 (Koblenz), Oct 22 (Heidelberg), Oct 23 (Strasbourg), Oct 24 (Breisach am Rhein), Oct 25 (Basel).
- (Sunday) 7-day from Basel - Oct 25 (Basel, dep), Oct 26 (Breisach am Rhein), Oct 27 (Strasbourg), Oct 28 (Heidelberg), Oct 29 (Koblenz), Oct 30 (Cologne), Oct 31 (Kinderdijk), Nov 01 (Amsterdam).
MS Viking Sun wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 5
- Total number of cabins: 99 (of which 37 French Balconies and 62 with a non-opening window).
- Restaurants: Sun (dining room)
- Lounges & Bars: Sun Lounge (observation, entertainment), Library (Internet), Shop, top-deck (shaded relaxation/observation area). The Sun ship doesn't have gym room, jacuzzi, spa, or pool.
- Viking Sun cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, all tours/excursions, land transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water.
- Note: To/from Viking Sun boat transfers and airport meet&greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through the Viking cruise line.
- Viking Sun is the first from the 2-ships series specially designed for Viking cruises on Rhine river - along with her sister Viking Helvetia. In comparison to all older Viking river cruise ships, Sun and Helvetia's design is featured by large panoramic floor-to-ceiling windows and higher ceilings in all their public venues.
- In 2013, the Viking Sun cruise ship experienced two accidents (both without injured passengers). In October, the boat collided with a docking station near Strasbourg, causing a nearly 10ft / 3m long tear in the hull. In November, the ship got grounded on a gravel bank (again near Strasbourg.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - none
- Balcony Staterooms - none
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor to ceiling door-windows) - A (x37, deck3)
- RiverView Staterooms - B (x15, deck2), C (x15, deck2), D (x22, deck1), E (x10, deck1 and deck2).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.