Bari is the principal and the largest port of Southern Italy's Apulia region (Adriatic Sea) and also Bari Province's capital city with a population of around 330,000. Port Bari is Italy's second-largest cargo port (after Naples). However, by passenger shipping traffic, Italy's largest ports are Messina (Sicily), Naples, and Reggio Calabria.
Bari is a major Adriatic ferry port too. Regularly scheduled ferries link Italy (via Bari) with Albania (Durres), Croatia (Dubrovnik), Montenegro (Bar) and Greece (Igoumenitsa, Patras, Corfu Island, Kefalonia Island (Sami), Zakynthos Island). The companies serving these routes are GNV, Adria Ferries and Ventouris Ferries (to Albania / travel time 8-9-10 hours), Jadrolinija (to Montenegro and Croatia / crossing time 10 hours), and Ventouris Ferries and Anek-Superfast (to Greece / crossing times 8-11-13-17-19 hours).
The city is well-connected with the rest of Italy via direct highways and railways linking to Rome, Milan, Bologna, Turin, and Venice, plus various Apulia cities (including Foggia, Barletta, Brindisi, Lecce, Taranto). Bari Karol Wojtyła Airport (aka Palese Airport) is approx 8 km (5 ml) northwest from downtown and has annual passenger capacity around 4 million. Bari metro railway (commuter train) service consists of three lines linking to the San Paolo suburb (FM1), the airport (FM2) and Bitonto (FM3).
City's best-known tourist attractions and landmarks include:
- botanical garden, Pomodoro Beach, two harbors with scenic waterfront promenades (Old Port, New Port)
- churches - Santa Chiara (16th-century, now a museum), Chiesa di San Marco Dei Veneziani (12th-century), Santa Teresa Dei Maschi (17th-century), St Nicholas Basilica (11th-century), Cathedral (11th-century), Russian Church (20th-century)
- Conservatorio Niccolo Piccinni, theaters (Piccinni, Margherita, Petruzzelli), Castello Svevo (Swabian Castle, 12th-century).
Bari cruise terminal
Bari cruise port has three docks separated for freight vessels, ferries, and cruise ships.
The cruise ships dock at the New Port. It is within walking distance of the city center. The passengers from ships up to 280 m (like Aida, Royal Caribbean, Tui, and Costa) disembark close to the main Bari cruise port terminal. Bigger vessels dock at San Vito Dock. It is 5 minutes from the terminal.
The terminal building of the Bari cruise port is new. It is between the Foraneo quay and the Saint Cataldo quay. The facilities include check-in desks, waiting areas, vending machines, a souvenir shop. There are taxi, bus and shuttle services.
The distance from the Bari cruise port terminal to the airport is 14 km. It takes approximately 23 minutes by car.
Bari tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Historic Center: the old town (Bari Vecchia) is a great place for a visit. Wander inside the narrow streets to see amazing churches, beautiful squares, theaters or just have a coffee and take a look at the people.
- Basilica di San Nicola: the top attraction for tourists in Bari. It dates from 1087. The church has an amazing architecture with several different styles. There is a crypt with mosaics, it houses the saint’s tomb.
- Cathedral of Bari, San Sabino: it dates from the 7th century. It was reconstructed several times since then and now it features Romanesque and Baroque-style elements.
- Castello Svevo: dates from 1131. it was renovated by Frederick II in the period 1233-1240. Isabella of Aragon transformed it into a Royal Residence in the 16th century.
- Seaside Promenade: take a walk along the Lungomare Imperatore-Augusto.
- Shopping: the most famous shopping streets are Via Sparano, Via Manzoni, and Corso Cavour.
- Archeological Museum: or Museo Archeologico Nazionale. It is located between the university and a library. The address is Gioia del Colle, Castello Svevo, Piazza dei Martiri.
- Provincial Picture Gallery: or Pinacoteca Provinciale. It is along the Lungomare Nazario Sauro. The gallery displays pictures of old Bari and its surroundings. You can enjoy works of A. Vaccaro, Moretto da Brescia, Giovanni Bellini, Tintoretto, Paolo Veronese, Vivarini, C. Maratta, etc.
Port Bari cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Bari, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|19 August, 2020|
|22 August, 2020|
|29 August, 2020|
|31 August, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced that flagship MSC Grandiosa and MSC Magnifica are due to resume operations in the Mediterranean starting from August 16 and 29...August 9, 2020
- Cruise Industry
As Greece opened its borders to international tourists, several ferry routes between Greece and Italy were reestablished amidst the Coronavirus...July 4, 2020
- show more news