Mainz is a Rhine River cruise port and the capital city of Germany's Rhineland-Palatinate state. The city is located on the confluence of Rhine and Main rivers, and has population around 220,000. Mainz is part of the Frankfurt Rhine-Main Metro Region with population over 5,8 million. This urban zone is ranked Germany's 3rd largest (after Ruhr and Berlin), stretching over parts of three German states - Bavaria, Rhineland-Palatinate and Hesse. Region's largest cities are Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Offenbach, Mainz, Darmstadt and Aschaffenburg.
Among city's best-known tourist attractions are:
- Romano-Germanic Museum (artifacts)
- Museum of Ancient Seafaring (has 5 Roman boats on display)
- Roman ruins, mausoleum, aqueduct
- Mainzer Dom (11th-century cathedral), Johanniskirche (7th-century church), Augustinerkirche and Peterskirche (18th-century churches)
- Staatstheater Mainz (19th-century theater)
- Eisenturm (13th-century gate-tower), Holzturm (15th-century gate-tower)
- Gutenberg Museum (has an original Gutenberg Bible and many printed books)
- Old Town, Kurfurstliches Schloss (prince-electors residence during Holy Roman Empire / 800-1806 AD)
- Botanischer Garten (botanical garden, part of Gutenberg-Universitat)
- Landesmuseum (archaeology and art museum), Kunsthalle Mainz (contemporary art museum)
- Marktbrunnen (fountain), Domus Universitatis
The city is famous with Mainzer Fassenacht Carnival. Its peak (on Rosenmontag / rose Monday) is marked by a large street parade with over 0,5 million participants. Mainz is a major center of Germany's wine trade industry, as Rhineland-Palatinate is an important wine growing region. The city homes the German Wine Academy, Wine Institute and Wine Fund. Mainzer Weinmarkt (wine market) is one of Germany's largest wine fairs. In Mainz is based the company Schott AG - among world's largest glass manufactures.
Port Mainz cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Mainz, Germany. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|3 November, 2020|
|MS Rhein Symphonie||14:00||23:00|