MS Rhein Symphonie Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Rhein Symphonie
|Year built||2006 / Age : 12|
|Builder||Royal IHC Merwede Shipyards (Kinderdijk, Holland)|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||132 m / 433 ft|
|Beam (width)||12 m / 39 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4800 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Rhein Melodie, Viking Sun|
|Former names||Viking Helvetia|
|Christened by||Gudrun Landgrebe|
Review of MS Rhein Symphonie
MS Rhein Symphonie cruise ship was built in 2006 in Kinderdijk (Holland) for Viking River Cruises under the name "Viking Helvetia". Viking Helvetia operated on Rhine cruises (in Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) departing from Amsterdam and Basel. In 2016, the riverboat was purchased by the Portuguese company Mystic Invest (family-owned financial holding) and operated under charter by its subsidiary Nicko Tours (Stuttgart-based cruisetour company). MS Rhein Symphonie cruises on Rhine River, with roundtrip itinerary from Cologne. Sisterships are Viking Sun and Rhein Melodie.
MS Rhein Symphonie ship has a total of 99 cabins for 198 passengers. Upper Deck cabins are all French Balcony staterooms with floor-ceiling glass doors opening to a railing (false balcony). Middle Deck cabins are with 1 large (wall-to-wall) opening window (size size 2x1,2 m). Upper and Middle deck staterooms are sized 15 m2 (160 ft2).
Main Deck cabins are same-sized (15 m2) and with 1 non-opening window (half-height, size 150x70 cm) located near the ceiling. Single cabins are smaller (12 m2 / 130 ft2), with 1 non-opening window (half-height) and 2 lower beds - 1 sofabed (sized 190x80 cm) and 1 foldaway / Pullman bed (sized 170x80 cm).
All cabins are equipped with standard hotel beds (2 twins convertible to double 2x1,6 m), bedside tables, under beds space for suitcases, dimmer lighting, wardrobe, mirrored dressing table (writing desk) with chair, small table with 2 armchairs, en-suite bathroom (glass-door shower, WC, wash basin, razor plug), hairdryer, flat TV (satellite reception), electronic safe box (in the closet), mini-fridge, phone (intercom / onboard only), bowl with fresh fruits, complimentary bottled water (supplied daily), individually controlled air-conditioning.
MS Rhein Symphonie ship has a fore-located Dining Room Restaurant (on Middle Deck) with floor-ceiling windows, single-seating capacity and open seating arrangement. Dining Room menu includes both traditional dishes (itinerary-based on visited countries) and international cuisine specialties. Fine wines and gourmet delicacies are also offered. The Dining Room and the Lounge (Upper Deck) can be accessed directly from the Lobby (Middle Deck) via grand staircase.
On Middle Deck is also the Lobby (ship entrances) with seating area, 24-hour Coffee corner (complimentary coffee, tea, fruits, sparkling water, pastries, cookies), Reception Desk (24-hour guest services and assistance), Tour Office (Cruise Director, excursions information and booking), Public Restrooms, Boutique Shop (selling gifts and souvenirs, magazines, convenience goods), Aft-located Library Lounge has comfortable seating (sofas and armchairs), floor-ceiling windows, selection of books (mainly history- and travel-themed), magazines, playing cards, board games (including chess and backgammon). Three staircases connect all decks. The ship has no Lift (passenger elevator), Swimming Pool (or Jacuzzi), Hair Salon, wellness complex (Fitness, Sauna, Spa),
Sun Deck has retractable Awnings (shaded seating areas with 4-seat tables and chairs, full bar service), sunbathing area (sunloungers and deckchairs) and deckgames area (Giant Chess Set). Sun Deck's wheelhouse, all railings and awnings are retractable to allow passing under low bridges.
The fore-located on Upper Deck Bar Lounge has floor-ceiling windows, comfortable seating (small round tables with armchairs), dance floor, grand piano (live performances by resident pianist) and its own Bar. Onboard entertainment includes daily live music performances, cooking demonstrations, quiz games, bingo, crew show, themed dance nights, watching movies (drop-down screen), enrichment lectures and media presentations (related to the cruisetour itinerary's destinations, ports, excursions), food and wine tasting events.
The cruise company offers optional shore excursions (not included in cruisetour fares) in each of the visited ports. Land tours include sightseeing tours, city walks, cycling tours, bus travel to nearby tourist destinations. On all guided shore excursions are provided complimentary portable audio headsets.
MS Rhein Symphonie river cruise deals are inclusive of all onboard meals (breakfast buffet, waiter-served lunch and dinner, afternoon coffee with cake, midnight snacks), Welcome Cocktail party, Welcome Dinner, Gala Dinner, onboard entertainment, ship tour, port taxes. Cruisetour deals don't include flights, transfers, excursions, insurance, gratuities, beverages, personal expenses.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
MS Rhein Symphonie wiki
- The Viking cruise ship was named after Goddess Helvetia (Helvetica, (officially Confœderatio Helvetica) - Switzerland's female national personification (anthropomorphism). Her name derives from Helvetii - Gaulish tribe that prior to the Roman Empire inhabited the Swiss lands.
- Viking Helvetia is the second one from a specially designed for cruises on Rhine River series of two boats - with sistership MS Viking Sun. In comparison to all older Viking ships, Helvetia and Sun's "Rhine design" features large (wall-to-wall) windows and higher decks (ceilings).
- MS Viking Helvetia was launched in 2006 and christened by godmother Gudrun Landgrebe - German actress, awarded in 2010 with "Hessian Film and Cinema Prize". Boat's christening ceremony was held in Cologne (Koln) on March 23.
- Viking Helvetia cruise deals were inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), laundry, all tours / excursions, land transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee corner, replenished daily bottled water.
Follows the list of Viking Helvetia cruise itineraries offered by Viking River Cruises.
- "RHINE GETAWAY" are 7-days (also themed "German Christmas Markets") river cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, and the reverse from Basel to Amsterdam. These deals offer 4 countries to visit (Holland, Germany, France, Switzerland) with 6 complimentary land tours/excursions. Disembarkation in Holland offers an optional 2-night Amsterdam hotel package. Disembarkation in Switzerland (Basel offers an optional 2-night Lucerne hotel package (on Lake Lucerne in the Swiss Alps).
- Feature port activities along the route are Kinderdijk (the windmills network tour, food sampling of hand-made Dutch cheeses, jenever /juniper liquor, and sjoelen playing /table shuffleboard), Koblenz (the Marksburg Castle and museum tour), Rudesheim (Drosselgasse), Mannheim (bus tour to Heidelberg, afternoon embarkation again in Speyer), Kehl (tour to Strasbourg), Breisach (the "Black Forest" outdoor museum, cuckooclock-making workshop visit, and an optional Colmar town excursion).