CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker current position
CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker current location is at North West Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 49.14658 N / -55.33656 W) cruising en route to NE COAST SAR. The AIS position was reported 3 hours ago.Current Position
Specifications of CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker
|Year built||1983 / Age: 39|
|Builder||Burrard Yarrows Co (Victoria BC, Canada)|
|Class||Canadian diesel icebreaker (CASPPR Arctic Class 4)|
|Operator||Canadian Coast Guard|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||88 m / 289 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4233 gt|
CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker Review
Review of CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker
CCGS Terry Fox is a Canadian Arctic icebreaker. "CCGS" stands for "Canadian Coast Guard ship". This icebreaking vessel started operations in 1991. Currently, the ship is assigned to (home-ported in) CCG Base Southside in St Johns (Newfoundland Island) to serve Canada's Newfoundland and Labrador province.
The heavy icebreaker Terry Fox was designed to serve as escort to oil tankers through the Canadian Arctic territories, This class of icebreakers is classified as "heavy tug" (supply vessel). Besides escorting ships, they also support offshore oil rigs in ice-rich waters. The ship's bow is spoon-shaped, allowing it to ride up on packed ice in order to break it. The icebreaker is "Arctic Class 4" certified, which means ice capacity up to 1,8 m (6 ft).
CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker itinerary program includes operations in Gulf of St Lawrence (during winter) and in the eastern Canadian Arctic territories (during summer). The ship's previous assignment was at CCG Base Dartmouth (Nova Scotia) until 2008. The ship will be decommissioned in 2021-2022, right after the commissioning of the new CCGS John G Diefenbaker (2021-2022).
CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker vessel details
The Terry Fox ship is of the same design as (sister-ship to) the Russia-owned icebreaker Vladimir Ignatyuk (Arctic Kalvik).
- The vessel has 1 dining room, Sauna, no swimming pool, no elevator, no helipad (helicopter deck).
- Max Draught: 8,3 m (27 ft)
- DWT Deadweight tonnage: 2113 tons
- Displacement tonnage: 7100 tons (7200 tons when fully loaded)
- Radars: 2x "Raccal ", 1x "Furuno 1411 Mk II" (color)
- Range: 3560 km (2210 ml)
- Endurance: 58 days
- Ice-class: Arctic 4
- ice capacity: 1,8 m (6 ft)
- Diesel fule storage: 1,920 m3 (67,770 ft3)
- Power: 4x Stork-Werkspoor diesel engines (type 8TM410) driving 2 shafts - total power output 17,3MV, (23,200 hp). Back-up power is provided by a "Caterpillar 3406" diesel generator.
- Propulsion: controllable pitch propellers, 2 thrusters (1 bow, 1 stern).
- The icebreaker carries a tow rope (length 1,5 km / 0,93 ml).
- Of the 23 crew, 10 are officers.
Note: In the case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.
CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker - user reviews and comments
Photos of CCGS Terry Fox icebreakerAdd Photo
CCGS Terry Fox icebreaker User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review