GRANDI NAVI VELOCI (Ferries)
GNV Rhapsody ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of GNV Rhapsody ferry
|Year built||1996 / Age : 22|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Genoa-(Barcelona)-Tangier|
|Building cost||EUR 168 million|
|Operator||GRANDI NAVI VELOCI|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||162 m / 531 ft|
|Beam (width)||39 m / 128 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||37768 gt|
|Former names||Napoleon Bonaparte|
|Christened by||Josette Pons|
Review of GNV Rhapsody ferry
GNV Rhapsody ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the Italian company GRANDI NAVI VELOCI. The ship has max capacity of 2448 passengers and 716 cars. The vessel was launched in 1996 and currently operates on the Morocco-Spain-Italy ferry route Tangier-Barcelona-Genoa (crossing time 49,5 hours).
As cruiseferry, Rhapsody has a total of 571 cabins (including 12 Suites) with a total of 2220 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (toilet / shower / wash basin, hairdryer). Suites additionally offer as amenities flat TV (satellite reception), radio, mini-bar, large Porthole Window. Double suites are for 2 people (with 1 double bed). Family suites are for 3 people (1 double bed + 1 sofabed). Cots for children under 2 years are available upon request.
The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Four staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (cabins adapted for disabled passengers). There are also "pet-friendly" cabins. The ship additionally has reclining seats (aircraft-type seats) available for pre-booking in Reserved Seating Lounges.
- Double Suites are for 2 people (fitted with 1 double bed).
- Family Suites are triple cabins (capacity 3 passengers, with 1 double bed and 1 sofabed).
- Presidential Suites are the ship's largest accommodations, designed with separate living and sleeping areas and equipped with 1 walk-in wardrobe and whirlpool bath.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
As facilities, the GNV Rhapsody ship offers:
- (deck 9 midship) A La Carte Restaurant (capacity 310 seats) also serves a kids menu with dishes specifically designed for children.
- (deck 9 aft-portside) Self-Service / Buffet Restaurant (capacity 190 seats) also offers kids menus.
- (deck 9 midship) Snack Bar / Cafe (capacity 190 seats) is open year-round and sells sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yoghurt, ice cream, hot / cold drinks.
- Pizzeria is open high-season only and serves fresh-baked Neapolitan pizzas with traditional toppings.
- (deck 10 midship) Library, Reading Lounges
- Conference Centre (Meeting Room on Sky Deck 9 / capacity 300 seats)
- (deck 12) Piano Bar (capacity 220 seats) is located under the funnels.
- (deck 10 midship-starboard) The Disco (nighclub / bar)
- (deck 10 midship) Children's Play Area (Ludipark) is an indoor playground equipped with a TV (showing cartoons), colouring tables, games and toys. Supervised by dedicated staff fun activities for kids are provided complimentary during summer.
- (deck 10 midship) Arcades (Video Gaming Rooms)
- (deck 10 midship) Swimming Pool is open seasonally (during summer months / high-season only). The pool is sized approx 12x4 m (40x13 ft). It is surrounded by 3 jaccuzis and served by a swim-up bar.
- Photographer (seasonal)
- Wedding Chapel
- The ship's main lounge bar (capacity 400 seats) is on two levels (located forward on decks 10 and 11) and features large windows, live entertainment and full-bar service.
- (deck 6) Four Seating Lounges (fitted with comfortable Pullman seats / fully-reclining leather armchairs) are located forward on Deck 6 and available for passengers without booked cabins.
- (deck 10 midship) At the Ferry Shopping Centre, retail outlets (boutique shops) sell at discounted pricing gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (spirits, wines), tobaccos, premium-brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, fashion clothing and accessories, watches, sunglasses, personal hygiene products, travel essentials, confectionery, snacks, toys, puzzles, books, magazines.
- free Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception)
- The vessel offers plenty of outdoor deck space. The Sun Deck (Solarium) is on 2 levels, located midship on Deck 11 and forward on Deck 12.
- The Navigation Bridge is located forward on Deck 10.
- The ship's top-deck is Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In cases of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
GRANDI NAVI VELOCI cruise deals
As on cruise ships, all GNV ferries offer passenger cabins with modern amenities, individually controlled air-conditioning and en-suite facilities. Some suites are with private balconies.
Occasionally, the largest GNV ships are also used for Mediterranean mini-cruises - especially during the Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Onboard food includes a huge variety of options. A la carte restaurants provide a combination of international, regional and Mediterranean food with a range of signature dishes for the 3 courses. The self-service / buffet dining provides passengers with an array of different choices in an informal setting. Snack Bars serve fast-food classics for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Pizzeria is open during high season and offers fresh-baked Neapolitan pizzas with a variety of toppings. On the routes between Italy and Tunisia-Morocco are also available Halal meals - permissible by the traditional Islamic law food and drinks.
- Ships' boutique shops sell at discount prices tobacco and alcohol (budget and premium wines and spirits), as well as luxury brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, watches, fashion clothing and accessories, sunglasses, souvenirs, toys.
- The shipboard Conference Centre serves the company's "GNV MICE and INCENTIVE" program and offers 5 different formats for group meetings, conventions and corporate events at sea and in port - Charters (full), Part Charters (dedicated onboard areas), Mini-Cruises, Floating Hotel (ship hotel) and Corporate Events (onboard aperitifs, lunches and dinners).
- Children under 4 years of age travel free of charge on all GNV ships. Kids under 2 years of age travel free of charge on Tunisia and Morocco routes.
- Cots, high chairs, bottle warmers, changing tables and cot sides are provided on request and free of charge.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Grandi Navi Veloci (founded in 1992, headquartered in Genoa, Italy) is an Italian ferry company operating on shipping routes between mainland Italy, Sardinia, Sicily, Albania, France, Morocco and Tunisia. Grandi Navi Veloci current cruiseferry fleet includes the ships Atlas, Azzurra, Cristal, Excellent, Excelsior, Fantastic, La Superba, La Suprema, Majestic, Rhapsody, Splendid.
GNV Rhapsody ferry wiki
- The vessel was ordered by SNCM on February 24, 1994. Its construction started on February 13, 1995 (keel-laying) and was launched on September 16, 1995 (float-out). The ship was delivered to SNCM on April 10, 1996, and christened on April 15.
- The ferry entered service on April 26, 1996, serving the France-Tunisia route Marseille-Tunis.
- In the period 1996-2014 its was named "MS Napoleon Bonaparte".
- Following a serious damage in October 2012, the ferry was out of service for almost 2 years. In 2014, it was sold to MSC Group and renamed to "GNV Rhapsody".