Admiral Makarov icebreaker Review and Specifications
Specifications of Admiral Makarov icebreaker
|Year built||1975 / Age : 44|
|Builder||Helsinki Shipyard (Hietalahti-Helsinki, Finland)|
|Class||Russian diesel icebreaker|
|Owner||FESCO (Far East Shipping Company)|
|Operator||FESCO (Far East Shipping Company)|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||14058 gt|
Review of Admiral Makarov icebreaker
MS Admiral Makarov ("ледокол Адмирал Макаров”) is an icebreaking vessel owned and operated by the Russian company FESCO (abbrev from “Far East Shipping Company” / “Дальневосточное морское пароходство”), part of FESCO Group (Vladivostok).
One of the Russian icebreaker ships, Admiral Makarov and the sister-ship Krasin (launched 1976) is the biggest of all four ice-breakers in the FESCO fleet. This ship is named after vice-admiral Stepan Makarov (1849-1904) who served in the Imperial Russian Navy and was also an oceanographer. Sakhalin island's town Shiritoru in 1946 was renamed to Makarov in his honor.
Admiral Makarov ship's itinerary program since 2006 additionally offers services in Tatar Strait (in North Pacific Ocean, dividing Sakhalin Island from mainland Russia). This service is according to a 10-year government contract with the shipowner. Together with Krasin icebreaker, Admiral Makarov escorts large-capacity crude oil tankers between Sakhalin-I (oil and gas project on Sakhalin Island) and De-Kastri Oil Terminal (Khabarovsk Krai, Sea of Okhotsk).
Admiral Makarov icebreaker vessel details
FESCO is the biggest icebreaker-ship operator in Far East Russia. The Russian Federation government transferred 4 ice-breaking vessels to the company. FESCO's fleet, along with Makarov, also includes the diesel-powered icebreakers Kapitan Khlebnikov, Krasin and Magadan.
The four ships provide assistance in the ice-covered waters of the Russian far-eastern seas and the Arctic. However, their deployment is not limited to these sectors and covers areas from the Eastern Arctic region down to the Antarctica coast.
- The vessel has 2 dining rooms, Sauna, 1 swimming pool, 1 elevator, 1 helipad.
- Draught: 11 m (max)
- Displacement tonnage: 20250 tons
- Power: 9 x Wartsila-Sulzer 12ZH40 / 48 (3380 kW output each, or 30,420 MW combined power output)
- Propulsion: 3 x Stromberg DC motors (8820 kW output each, or 26,460 MW combined power output)
- Note: In the case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.
Admiral Makarov icebreaker - user reviews and comments
Other Russia cruise ships
Admiral Makarov icebreaker User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review