Magadan icebreaker current position
Magadan icebreaker current location is at East Asia (coordinates 43.06678 N / 131.87486 E) cruising en route to RUSKA>RUVVO. The AIS position was reported 4 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Magadan icebreaker
|Year built||1982 / Age: 40|
|Builder||Hietalahti shipyard (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Class||Russian diesel icebreaker|
|Ferry route / homeports||Vladivostok|
|Engines (power)||Wartsila-Sulzer (42.4 MW / 56859 hp)|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||89 m / 292 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5342 gt|
|Owner||FESCO (Far East Shipping Company)|
|Operator||FESCO (Far East Shipping Company)|
Magadan icebreaker Review
Review of Magadan icebreaker
The 1982-built MS Magadan ("ледокол Магадан") is an icebreaking vessel owned and operated by the Russian company FESCO (Far East Shipping Company/Дальневосточное морское пароходство), part of FESCO Group.
One of the Russian icebreaker ships, Magadan is the smallest in FESCO's fleet.
This vessel is named after the port town Magadan (located in Nagayevo Bay, Okhotsk Sea).
- On March 6, 1999, the Magadan was the leading ship in a rescue effort to escort cargo ships carrying supplies to dangerously short of fuel, isolated Kamchatka settlements.
- In 2000, the icebreaker towed a Russian warship that was to be scrapped in India.
- In 2011, Magadan was one of the two vessels towing the oil rig Kolskaya (jack-up rig / mobile platform) which capsized and subsequently sank in the Okhotsk Sea.
The Magadan icebreaker's itinerary program offers icebreaker assistance for vessels coming to seaport Magadan (during winter navigation).
Magadan icebreaker vessel details
FESCO is the biggest icebreaker-ship operator in Far East Russia. The Russian Federation government transferred 4 ice-breaking vessels to the company. FESCO's fleet, along with Magadan, also includes the diesel-powered icebreakers Admiral Makarov, Kapitan Khlebnikov and Krasin.
The four ships provide assistance in the ice-covered waters of the Russian far-eastern seas and the Arctic. However, their deployment is not limited to these sectors and covers areas from the Eastern Arctic region down to the Antarctica coast.
The vessel has 1 dining room, Sauna, 1 swimming pool, 1 elevator, 1 helipad (Helideck).
- Max Draft: 6,5 m (21 ft)
- DWT Deadweight tonnage: 1909 tons
- Displacement tonnage: 6210 tons
- ice-breaking capacity 1 m
- Powerplant: 4x Wartsila 8R32 (2,39 MW output each, or 9,56 MW combined power output)
- Propulsion: 2 shafts, 4-bladed controllable pitch propellers
Note: In the case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.
Magadan icebreaker - user reviews and comments
Photos of Magadan icebreakerAdd Photo
Other FESCO Russia cruise ships
Magadan icebreaker User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review