SuperStar Gemini Review and Specifications
Specifications of SuperStar Gemini
|Year built||1992 / Age : 26|
|Builder||Chantiers de l'Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 240 million|
|Owner||(GHK) Genting Hong Kong Ltd|
|Operator||Star Cruises (Asia)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||229 m / 751 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||50764 gt|
|Passengers||1750 - 2150|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Former names||MS Dreamward, Norwegian Dream|
Review of SuperStar Gemini
Launched in 1992, SuperStar Gemini is one of the Star Cruises ships, together with Star Pisces, SuperStar Aquarius, SuperStar Libra and SuperStar Virgo. The ship cost $240 million to build and was last refurbished in 2013 for USD 50 million.
History - construction and ownership
Star Cruises, member of Genting Hong Kong, is the 3rd biggest cruise line in the world, following Carnival Corporation and Royal Caribbean Cruises. The company dominates the Asia-Pacific market. It is owned by Genting Hong Kong, and is listed on the Singapore Exchange and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Star Cruises was established as an associate of Genting Group of Malaysia, incorporated on November 10, 1993 in Bermuda, with corporate headquarters in Hong Kong. The first ships of the company were two cruiseferries bought from the bankrupted estate of Swedish Rederi AB Slite. Star Cruises purchased several other used vessels in the following years. In 1998, the company took delivery of its first newbuild, SuperStar Leo. Sister ship SuperStar Virgo followed in 1999. The same year Star Cruises acquired Sun Cruises.
The 50,764-ton, 1,750-passenger cruise ship SuperStar Gemini was built in 1992 by the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in St. Nazaire, France. The first name of the vessel was ms Dreamwar and it was constructed with the idea to sail for Norwegian Cruise Line. In 1998 the cruise ship was upgraded (lengthened), at Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven, Germany and her name was changed to Norwegian Dream. The ship was added to the fleet of Star Cruises in the end of 2012 as SuperStar Gemini. In the period between 1995 and 2008 SuperStar Gemini was sailing under the name MS Gemini.
During the lengthening process in March-May 1998, the ship was cut in half and a new 40-metre midsection was added. The maximum passenger capacity was increased significantly. SuperStar Gemini naming ceremony was held on 5 December 1992 at Port Everglades, the place where the vessel started her first cruise to Bermuda the next day.
The cruise ships in the fleet of the company are recognized by their funnel design. Star Pisces was the first with such design. Later the cruise company based all of its ships on the Star Pisces' funnel design.
Cruise itinerary program
SuperStar Gemini itinerary program is based on cruises in Asia. In 2017-2018, the ship was home-ported in Laem Chabang (Bangkok, Thailand). The ship's new deployment was for the period December 17, 2017 through April 27, 2018. From Thailand, SuperStar Gemini operates roundtrip 3-night cruises to Sihanoukville Cambodia and Koh Samui Island (departures every Sunday), roundtrip 2-night cruises to Sihanoukville (departures every Wednesday) and roundtrip 2-night cruises to Koh Kong Island (departures every Friday).
SuperStar Gemini provides a total of 765 staterooms in 14 categories. The largest aboard SuperStar Gemini are the Junior Suites (371.33 ft2). The suites are equipped with a DVD player, mini fridge and a separate sitting area.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
SuperStar Gemini is operated as a "freestyle" cruise ship, which means passengers have the choice to dine when, where and with whom they choose. All food presentation is a treat for the eye. All meals are included during the voyage at the main dining restaurants.
Follows the complete list of SuperStar Gemini restaurants and food bars.
- Bella Vista Restaurant
- Oceana Barbecue (outdoor international buffet & grilled specials; also the location for welcome and farewell party)
- Mariners Restaurant (Buffet-style restaurant, offers International cuisine of high quality with fresh ingredients - a hallmark of Star Cruises)
- Dynasty Restaurant (family-style Chinese restaurant)
- Tai Pan (a la carte Chinese restaurant for more upscale Chinese cuisine)
- Blue Lagoon (serves fast food and snacks).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
SuperStar Gemini has to offer attractive features and activities to her guests. The ship has stylish design and comfortable cabins, all expressing the Asian culture and style. Travelers are attracted by activities like playing Mah Jong and watching shows with stunning flexible Chinese acrobats. The ship offers extensive karaoke facilities and private rooms for parties.
Follows the complete list of SuperStar Gemini lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Star Club Casino
- Maxim's Lounge
- King Neptune Health Club; Oscar's Beauty Salon
- Observatory Lounge; Mahjong Room
- Star Boutique; Internet Cafe; Card Room
- Blue Lagoon Bar (Wine bar); Tea Corner
- Champ's Bar; Topsiders Bar
- Video Games Arcade; Child Care Centre
- Genting Palace; Genting Club; Genting Lounge
- Stardust Lounge (Theater)
- Pool Deck, 3 pools, 6 Jacuzzis; Sun Deck; Jogging Track.
SuperStar Gemini wiki
- The vessel was built in 1992 as "ms Dreamward" for Kloster Cruises (now NCL - Norwegian Cruise Line). She went into drydock for lengthening from March to May 1998 in Germany (at the Lloyd Werfit yards). Having been stretched by 130 ft / 40 m, she went out with a new name – "Norwegian Dream". SuperStar Gemini was transferred to Star Cruises in 2012. She has one sister currently sailing as SuperStar Aquarius.
- Being part of the Asia-Pacific leading cruise line, Star Cruises Gemini ship offers amazing journeys across the high seas. In 2013, the vessel underwent a major USD 50 million refurbishment. The 2013 drydock was the time when SuperStar Gemini was upgraded with a new navigational system, lots of new onboard features, new hull design.
- In the period February 7-16 (Chinese New Year), Star Cruises designated SuperStar Gemini as "hotel ship". During this time, the vessel was permanently docked in homeport Sanya China (at Phoenix Island International Port). This way, Star Cruises introduced (for the first-ever) in Asia the "Floating Hotel" cruise vacation concept, providing an unique holiday vacation experience. The "cruise deals" were inclusive of stateroom, onboard dining and entertainment, as well as all onboard holiday-themed events (Valentine's Day dinner, Lunar New Year family dinner, live magic show performances, kids programs). All main onboard venues (including the 11 restaurants and the Theater Lounge) remained open during the nights. There was also an extensive night-life program. "Hotel ship" tickets prices per night / per person started from USD 78 (Inside Cabin fare based on double occupancy).
SuperStar Gemini - user reviews and comments
Photos of SuperStar GeminiAdd Photo
SuperStar Gemini ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Genting Cruise Lines announced the deployment of Star Cruises company to Malaysia from November 5, 2018 through April 28, 2019, with SuperStar Gemini...September 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Star Cruises announced it will transform the SuperStar Gemini ship into a floating hotel between February 7-16, 2018 at Sanya Phoenix Island...January 24, 2018
- show more news