Wawel ferry current position
Wawel ferry current location is at Baltic Sea (coordinates 56.46149 N / 18.10864 E) cruising at speed of 16.3 kn (30 kph/ 19 mph) en route to GDANSK<->NYNASHAMN. The AIS position was reported 27 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Wawel ferry
|Year built||1980 / Age: 41|
|Builder||Kockums Varv AB (Malmo, Sweden)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Gdansk-Nynashamn|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||164 m / 538 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||25318 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Sister-ships||SeaFrance Cezanne, Zenobia|
|Former names||Alkmini A, P&O Canterbury, Stena Fantasia, Fiesta, Tzarevetz, Scandinavia|
Wawel ferry Review
Review of Wawel ferry
MS Wawel ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Polish company POLFERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 1000 passengers and 310 cars plus 50 trucks (trailers). The vessel was launched in 1980 and currently operates on the Poland-Sweden ferry route Gdansk-Nynashamn (crossing time 19 hours).
As cruise ferry, Wawel has 131 cabins with a total of 511 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (washbasin, WC, shower). The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries.
- Two staterooms on Deck 6 are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers and people with reduced mobility). The ship also has 8x "Pet-friendly" cabins on Deck 7.
- Passenger cabins (all located on decks 6-7) are inside and outside, in the economy and luxury class.
- Luxury cabins are with double occupancy, lower fixed beds, double sofa, table with 2 armchairs, closet, wall-mounted reading lamps, flat TV, phone.
- The ship additionally has reclining seats (aircraft-type seats) available for pre-booking in Reserved Seating Lounge.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Wawel ship offers:
- (Deck 7) Buffet Restaurant (self-service)
- (Deck 7) Barbeque / Grill Bar
- (Deck 6) A la Carte Restaurant serves gourmet cuisine and a wide range of wines from around the world. "Wine of the month" is a specially priced promo offer. On some ferry cruises, "Culinary dalliance" cooking show is offered - ship's Chef and POLFERRIES' top chefs show passengers how to cook and decorate traditional Scandinavian dishes.
- (Deck 6) Coffee bar (with slot machines), Cafeteria, Cafeteria
- (Deck 7) Cinema (doubles as Conference Room)
- (Deck 8) Night Club / Disco - on some ferry cruises the Disco hosts a bartending show (named "bartender fantasies"). On Deck 8 are also located staff and crew cabins and lounge areas.
- (deck 7) Kids Club is a Children's Playroom (indoor playground) with large TV and panoramic windows. The supervised kids' activities include organized art-craft competitions with prizes.
- (Deck 6) Reserved Seating Lounge has reclining / Pullman seats.
- (Deck 6) Duty-Free Shop is a retail selling alcohol (liquors, beers, wines), tobaccos, perfumes and cosmetics, sunglasses, watches, jewelry, designer clothes, and accessories (by the brands Levi's, Wrangler, Gatta, Wolbar, Cornette), electronics and gadgets, toys, confectionery, gifts, and souvenirs.
- Wi-Fi, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception on Deck 6)
- (deck 7 aft) Sun Deck (outdoor seating area) doubles as Helideck (helipad) - helicopter landing platform used in cases of emergency. Aft on sundeck 7 there is a toilet for dogs.
- Three passenger lifts connect car decks with deck 6.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Garage decks (for cars and trucks) are decks 3-4-5. They are connected via 3 ramps - 1 bow, 1 stern and 1 tiltable.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Polferries (founded in 1976, headquartered in Kolobrzeg, Poland) is Poland's largest ferry shipping company with Baltic Sea lines connecting Poland with Sweden. Polferries current fleet includes the ships Baltivia, Cracovia, Mazovia, Nova Star, Wawel.
Wawel ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Wawel ferryAdd Photo
Other POLFERRIES cruise ships
Wawel ferry Wiki
The ship was previously operated under the names Scandinavia (1980-1981 by Rederi AB Nordo), Tzarevetz (1981-1982 by Navigation Maritime Bulgare), Fiesta (1988-1991 by Sealink UK), Stena Fantasia (1991-1998 by STENA LINE), P&O Canterbury (1999-2003 by P&O FERRIES), Alkmini A (2003-2004 by GA Ferries) and Wawel (since 2004 by POLFERRIES).
The vessel was launched on December 1, 1979, and officially delivered on March 17, 1980. In June 1989 the vessel entered drydock at Lloyd Werft (Bremerhaven Germany), where was converted from freight to passenger ferry.
In September 2004 the ship was sold to POLFERRIES, renamed "MS Wawel" and transferred from the Mediterranean to Baltic Sea. The service Swinoujscie-Ystad was started on February 15, 2005.
Ship's powerplant consists of 2x Wartsila marine diesel engines (model Sulzer 7RLA56) with combined power output 13 MW.
Wawel ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review