Santorini is a popular port of call for cruises in the eastern Mediterranean. It is located in Aegan Sea, and is the southernmost of the Cycladic Islands, Greece. Santorini Island is also popular with the names Thera or Thira. It covers a total area of approx 91 km2 (35 ml2) and has a population of around 15,550 inhabitants (2011 census).
- Santorini Island is essentially what remained after an enormous volcanic eruption which destroyed the earliest settlements on a formerly single isle, and created the geological caldera. A large central, rectangular lagoon, measuring about 12 by 7 km (7,5 by 4,3 ml), is surrounded via 300 m (980 ft) high, steep cliffs on 3 sides. The depth of the caldera is 400 m (1312 ft), which makes it impossible for any but the biggest ships to anchor anywhere in the bay. A fisherman's harbour is located at Vlychada, on the southwestern coast. The principal port on the island is Athinios. Fira is the capital, clinging to the top of the cliff that is looking down on the lagoon.
- Santorini is the most active volcanic centre in South Aegean Volcanic Arc, but what remains today is mainly a water-filled caldera. The island's volcanic arc is approx 500 km (310 ml) long and 20-40 km (12-25 ml) wide. The region became volcanically active about 3–4 million years ago, but volcanism on Thera started about 2 million years ago via the extrusion of dacitic lavas from vents around Akrotiri.
- Santorini Island is the site of one of the biggest volcanic eruptions in recorded history: Minoan eruption (sometimes called Thera eruption), which occurred around 3,600 years ago at the height of Minoan civilization. The eruption left a huge caldera surrounded by volcanic ash deposits and may have led to the collapse of Minoan civilization on Crete, 110 km (68 ml) to the south, via a gigantic tsunami. Another theory holds that Thera eruption is the source of Atlantis' legend.
- Santorini is the most popular cruising destination of all Greek Isles. The busy season for the island is from July through August. Santorini is often described as paradise and is among the world’s most breathtaking places. The towns on the island are situated atop of high cliffs and are looking over the caldera of an ancient volcano.
- The primary industry on Santorini is tourism. The other main source of wealth includes agriculture. In recent years, the island has been voted one of the most beautiful in the world.
- Santorini Island remains the home of a flourishing wine industry, which is based on the Assyrtiko grape variety. White varieties include Aidani and Athiri, whereas red ones include mandilaria and mavrotragano.
Highlights: Thera, Akrotiri, Oia village
Santorini Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Santorini Island dock (anchor) at Thira - port town on the western coast. Santorini cruise ship port doesn’t have a terminal. The cruise vessels anchor in the caldera and the passengers are tendered ashore to the Old Port in Fira (Skala) with skunas (the name of the local tender boats).
The passengers can reach the town of Fira walking, by donkey or by a cable car. The cable car and donkey rides will cost a few euros. A cable car is available every twenty minutes. The donkey ride from Santorini cruise port tender dock takes up to half an hour, almost the same as walking.
The closest international airport to Santorini cruise port is 6 km from downtown Fira.
Cruise ships usually arrive at Santorini cruise port at 8 AM and leave at 6PM.
Santorini cruise port is in the itineraries of major cruise lines including Costa Cruises, MSC, Royal Caribbean International, Norwegian, Holland America Line, Celebrity, Princess, Crystal, Azamara, Regent, Oceania, Phoenix, Seabourn and SeaDream Yacht Club.
Santorini Island tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Fira (Thira): the capital of the island is amazing place. The houses, the flowers, the sunsets – even they are impressive enough. All buildings are white with blue cupolas. The streets are narrow, the hotels are small, the cuisine in the restaurants is so tasty. The city is easily reached from Santorini cruise port tender dock – you need to climb 580 zig zag steps.
- Museum of Prehistoric Fira: located near the bus station.
- Folklore Museum: the museum is located on Kontochori. The building is a cave dwelling from the 19th century. Discover the typical household on the island. You can also find many local tools for wine-making or barrel-making. The Folklore Museum works from May to October. The admission is three euros.
- Oia: eight miles from Santorini cruise port tender dock (direction north) is the most photographed village of the island. Everything here is breathtaking, especially dinner at sunset.
- Naval Museum: the museum is located in Oia. It is open from April to November. The admission is three euros. The museum houses local ships models, equipment for navigation and more.
The Santorini Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Santorini Island, Greece.
If you lose the Santorini Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Santorini Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Santorini Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
25 March, 2018
27 March, 2018
28 March, 2018
31 March, 2018
The government of Greece ordered the raising of a sunken cruise vessel that foundered off the island of Santorini 10 years ago, leaving 2 passengers...October 22, 2017
Taking place on multi million Royal Caribbean ship Jewel of the Seas, the unique party cruise "Anchored" (unique-cruise.com) takes place from June 11...July 21, 2016
- show more news