Majesty Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Majesty Of The Seas
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||268 m / 879 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||74077 gt|
|Passengers||2386 - 2863|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Christened by||HM Queen Sonja of Norway|
Review of Majesty Of The Seas
Launched in 1992, Majesty of the Seas is the only Sovereign-class Royal Caribbean ship. Majesty cost US $300 million to build and was last refurbished in 2016. It was previously announced, that in 2016 Majesty will join the fleet of Pullmantur (RCCL’s brand in Spain). However, later RCCL stated that the refurbished Majesty remains in the RCI fleet. That has not changed. However, the refurbishment plans were adjusted.
History - construction & ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCI is a cruise line brand established in Norway and currently based in Miami, Florida. As of September 2015, the line controls a 17% share of the world cruise market, with 23 cruise ships in service and other three on order. All vessels under the Royal Caribbean brand have had their names ending with "of the Seas" since 1991. Sister brands owned by Royal Caribbean Ltd. are Azamara Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and Pullmantur Cruises.
The 74,077-ton, 2,744-passenger Majesty of the Seas underwent a considerable bow-to-stern refurbishment in early 2007 at a cost of nearly 36 million dollars. After the makeover, Majesty proved the money was well spent. There is certainly a "wow" factor - with special highlights that include her amazing new spa and fitness center, new casual restaurants, fully redesigned teen amenities which are exclusive to the twelve - seventeen year old set, and a re-arranged and refitted pool deck. Other main changes took place in the staterooms - with new carpets, bedding and the addition of flat-screen TVs. The Viking Crown Lounge got a totally new look and so did the stores in the Centrum. There is one thing that did not change: Standard rooms (inside and out) are contenders for smallest in the industry. At a claustrophobic 122 square ft., fulfilling Royal Caribbean's marketing plan ("get out there") will not be a challenge. And Majesty of the Seas did not receive any additional verandas, so those staterooms that do come with balconies are priced at a premium.
Some loyal cruisers, especially those with children, are surely upset by the last 2016 refurbishment of the ship. There are no longer plans for adding the specialty dining venues Izumi and Sabor, a waterslide or the DreamWorks Experience. The revitalization includes an update to the casino, poolside movie screen, VOOM WiFi and family jacuzzis.
Cruise itinerary program
Majesty of the Seas itinerary program is based on 3- and 4-day short Bahamas cruises from Miami, Florida year round. Feature port destinations include Nassau and Coco Cay (Royal Caribbean’s private island).
Most Majesty of the Seas staterooms are 115-sq.foot insides (460) and 120-sq.foot oceanview (586). There are a total of 1177 staterooms in 21 categories. 4 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Majesty of the Seas are the Royal Suites (700 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The Moonlight Restaurant on Deck 3 and Starlight on Deck 4 are the main dining rooms aboard Majesty of the Seas, and their atmosphere is rich yet not pretentious. The only difference between the two is the seat cushions' color: maroon in Moonlight and teal in Starlight. The food is standard dining room fare, including lobster bisque, shrimp cocktail, roast duck, steak and salmon. The waiters make personal recommendations (usually for an appetizer or dessert). A Royal Lifestyle menu features lighter and healthier items. Vegetarian cuisine is also available. Low-sugar, low-salt and other special diets are accommodated, and the whole Royal Caribbean fleet is free of trans-fat.
Follows the complete list of Majesty of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Moonlight Restaurant (675-seat aft Dining Room)
- Starlight Restaurant (697-seat aft Dining Room)
- Windjammer Cafe lido buffet restaurant (546-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Johnny Rockets Restaurant (72-seat burger bar)
- Compass Deli (52-seat complimentary self service restaurant).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
In addition to the events that are being announced in the daily planner Cruise Compass, onboard entertainment features live music and the most recent movies on the big screens in Spectrum lounge and Chorus Line Theater. Trivia and Sudoku puzzles are daily available in the library. Evening entertainment offers individual performers (a magician, comic or musician) and production shows in the Chorus Line Theater. Two shows are usually available each night to accommodate both dining times. Dancing is offered all around Majesty of the Seas, from calypso music poolside and classics in the Centrum to piano sing-alongs in Schooner Bar and Latin flavors in Boleros. Late each night, a game show (The Newlywed Game, Battle of the Sexes) takes place, usually in the Spectrum lounge and draws a large crowd.
Follows the complete list of Majesty of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Photo Gallery & Shop
- The Centrum (7-deck atrium and social hub, offers aerial acrobatics entertainment); A Chorus Line Lounge (1027-seat); Boleros Lounge; Spectrum Lounge & Nightclub; Viking Crown Lounge & Nightclub
- Cafe Latte-tudes Bar (12-seat specialty coffee bar, Starbucks Coffee); Schooner Bar (142-seat piano bar); Mast Bar
- Centrum Boutiques (duty-free; clothes, perfumes, accessories, jewelry, logo souvenirs, General Store/alcohol and cigarettes)
- Casino Royale
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Vitality at Sea Spa & Fitness Center
- Challengers Video Games Arcade; Fuel Teen Center & Disco Club; The Living Room
- Adventure Beach; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Majesty Of The Seas wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 28
- Total number of cabins: 1177 (of which 63 Suites, no Balcony rooms, 100 adjoining)
- Dining Rooms: Moonlight, Starlight
- Restaurants and food bars: Windjammer (buffet), Compass (deli), Sorrento's (pizzeria), Johnny Rockets (burgers).
- Lounges & Bars (9 bars/cafes): Chorus Line, Boleros, Spectrum (nightclub), Viking Crown, Fuel (teen), Adventure Ocean (kids), Mast, Sky, Gelateria L’ondo, Schooner, Cafe Latte-tudes, poolside bars.
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Spa (Vitality), Nursery, 2 jacuzzis, 2 pools, fullsized basketball court, Rock Climbing Wall, jogging track.
- Royal Caribbean Majesty is currently the line's oldest cruise ship from the Sovereign-class. Her sisters are in the fleet of Pullmantur - ms Monarch (Monarch of the Seas) and ms Sovereign (Sovereignof the Seas).
- Majesty was built in 2007 in France, by Chantiers de L'Atlantique. Majesty of the Seas was christened by a real royal person. The ship's godmother is the Norwegian Queen Sonja. She's however not an aristocrat by birth. She got that status when she married her husband - the future king Harald V. Harald's father was against the marriage, but as he had only one son, he asked the parliament for an advice and finally the couple was married. The ship's naming ceremony took place on the 26th of April in port Miami Florida. The inaugural voyage began on the naming day - April 26th.
- Majesty was dry-dock refited in 2007. Apart for the extensive refurbishment, to the ship was also added new public spaces such as Johnny Rockets, The Compass Deli and the Latino dance lounge Boleros.
- RCI's Majesty is the "iron island" ship on which the biggest Metal Festival at sea is held. The festival is called "70000 tons of metal" and was first organized in January 2011. It was visited by 2038 metal fans from 49 different countries and 42 different metal music bands performed. This has been the approximate attendance each year, at least so far.
- The ship's decoration has a lot of the 80s style – with lots of neon, chrome and brass. The atmosphere can be determined as "nostalgic charming", decors are in muted warm colors. The two major upgrades added some trendiness like the flat-screen TVs, luxurious bedding. Also the Spa&Fitness complex was expanded, the pool deck was remodeled, new restaurants were added, the Rock Climbing Wall was installed. The hotel-style atrium called like on all RCCL cruise ships "Centrum" features fountains, sweeping staircase, lush foliage, and it turns into a huge shopping mall during the voyage.
- As to the quality of service and the ship's overall cruising experience - they don't call the oldies "goldies" for nothing. And all multimillion dollar refits and renovations surely keep this special ship in a perfect condition for all the RCI fans loving the "smaller ship" vacation type.
- The Majesty cruise ship was supposed to leave the RCI fleet in May 2016 to join the fleet of Pullmantur (a Royal Caribbean brand operating in Spain). Her last RCI cruise was scheduled for April 29, 2016 - 3-day Miami to Bahamas (itinerary to Coco Cay and Nassau). However, the shipowner RCCL decided not to transfer the ship and she continued operations under the RCI cruise line. According to the latest news, the ship will leave RCI in 2018. The RCI ship Monarch of the Seas joined Pullmantur in 2013.
Majesty Of The Seas related cruise news
A cruise passenger who sailed aboard Majesty of the Seas last November developed Legionnaires' disease and has filed suit against Royal Caribbean...October 14, 2016
Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas will receive an aqua park, multiple water slides and popular Izumi Asian restaurant during the 2016 November...June 1, 2016
In 2016, Royal Caribbean will revitalize 6 ships in its fleet: Adventure of the Seas, Empress of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Liberty of the...May 10, 2016
Changing course again, Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas cruise ship will be transfered from Royal Caribbean International (RCI) to the combined...March 31, 2016
Royal Caribbean canceled the first 6 cruises of Empress of the Seas, citing the need for more time in drydock. Travel agents were informed of...March 19, 2016
Royal Caribbean International announced six months ago that the refurbished Majesty of the Seas remains in the fleet. That has not changed. However...February 3, 2016
Two of the biggest lines have announced cheap Wi-Fi packages with faster connections. Carnival now offers “massively popular, faster, cheaper...July 17, 2015
Royal Caribbean's oldest ship, Majesty of the Seas, which was expected to be transferred to the Spanish line Pullmantur in 2016, will go on sailing...July 7, 2015
The next cruise of Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas, scheduled to depart today, had to be canceled due to oil leak. The ship is in an unexpected...April 27, 2015
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Majesty Of The Seas Itineraries 2017
The below listed Majesty Of The Seas cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
Majesty Of The Seas Itineraries 2018
The below listed Majesty Of The Seas cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.