SkySea Golden Era Review and Specifications
Specifications of SkySea Golden Era
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 450 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd & Ctrip|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||248 m / 814 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||72458 gt|
|Passengers||1808 - 1814|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Former names||MS Century, Celebrity Century|
|Christened by||Maria Chandris|
Review of SkySea Golden Era
SkySea Golden Era (former Celebrity Century) was built in 1995 by Meyer Werft GmbH in Papenburg, Germany. The ship cost US $450 million to build, and was last refurbished in 2015, just before entering service for the newly formed SkySea Cruise Line.
History - construction & ownership
The 72,458-ton, 1,808-passenger cruise ship SkySea Golden Era (Celebrity Century) debuted as the last of 3 Century-class vessels. Century's sisters, the ex- Celebrity Galaxy and Celebrity Mercury, are currently operating for sister line TUI Cruises as Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2, respectively. Since 2016, the ship operates under the name "SkySea Golden Era" for the Chinese "SkySea Cruise Line".
January 2014 news reports from France (including the CDF website) said Century will join the CDF fleet in 2015. CDF is a Royal Caribbean brand operating the French market with 2 ex-Celebrity cruise vessels ms Zenith and ms Horizon. The news said Century will replace the Zenith ship, which will join the Pullmantur fleet – the RCCL’s cruise brand in Spain. For 2014, CDF expected to carry around 100,000 passengers, and with the Century they expected nearly 120,000 “cruise clients” in 2015. The 2015 “program updates” also included new cruise shore excursion packages (3 to 5 shore tours, depending on the itinerary) at just 100€ per package.
However, in late 2014, RCI decided to sell the vessel to the Chinese company Ctrip for US$157 million. The ship was transferred in April 2015. Ctrip is a leading travel agency and one of China’s biggest brands in travel business and a cruise agency with more than 10% of the local cruise market.
Cruise itinerary program
Starting itineraries from China in May 2015, the Century ship became “SkySea Golden Era” – the first vessel in the fleet of the new cruise line SkySea Cruises (joint venture between Ctrip, RCI and a Chinese private equity firm).
SkySea Golden Era has 11 passenger decks with a total of 907 cabins, of which 75 are Suites. The Cabin grades number is 26.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The SkySea Golden Era (Celebrity Century) ship has nice dining venues, from the main dining room - The Grand, to The Islands Cafe and the Grill lido buffet & grill. This cruise ship also has a Sushi Bar and The Murano restaurant.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
SkySea Golden Era is the best deal for passengers who search for a good quality adult-oriented cruise at a good price, with nice food, relaxing atmosphere and polite service. The ship should be avoided by passengers who like lots of children's and sports facilities, as well as many dining options.
SkySea Golden Era wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Passenger decks: 11
- Cabin grades number: 26
- Total number of cabins: 907 (of which 75 Suites)
- Dining Rooms: The Grand
- Restaurants and food bars: Islands Cafe (buffet), Veranda Grill, Murano, Mast, Sushi, Sunset
- Lounges & Bars: Century, Rendezvous, The Crystal Room (and nightclub), Cova Cafe, Martini, Michael’s, poolside bars, Hemesphere (nightclub)
- Aqua Spa, 4 jacuzzis, 2 pools
- Being the oldest one in the fleet, Celebrity Cruises Century ship (first cruise December 20, 1995, original name "GTS Century") is one of the 3 Century-class passenger vessels. She has no fleetmates. Her sisters by class are currently operated by TUI Cruises - the ships Mein Schiff 1 (Celebrity Galaxy) and Mein Schiff 2 (Celebrity Mercury).
- Celebrity Cruises Century ship is the line's first vessel from the Century-class. The Century was built in Germany and entered in service in 1995. She was refurbished in April 2006. Her 5-week drydock stay at Fincantieri shipyard was the most expensive renovation for a ship of the Celebrity fleet. During the 2006 refurbishment were added: 314 balconies, 14 suites, 10 staterooms, the "Murano" specialty restaurant (French cuisine), the spa was expanded.
- This is a smaller size (more intimate) ship, also featuring the fleet's only "AquaSpa Cafe" (healthy food choices). Fun fact is that the ship was the setting for the episode "Ship of Fran's" from the series "The Nanny" season 3.
- Celebrity Century was the first cruise ship with an ice bar - called "Martini Bar & Crush". It's very attractive with a liquid wall that freezes (forming a crystalline appearance) and the bar counter freezing into stone. The liquor behind the bar is in a solid ice block. Century also has a cigar bar and the Michael's Club - with hand-rolled cigars, port wine and fine cognacs.
- Celebrity cruise line's owner RCCL (Royal Caribbean) sold in the end of 2014 the Century ship to the Chinese travel company Ctrip for the price of US$157 million. The ship joined the fleet of Exquisite Marine (a Ctrip Holdings subsidiary) in April 2015.
- Starting operations from China in May 2015, the former Celebrity Century ship was renamed "SkySea Golden Era". The vessel was the first one in the fleet of the newly formed joint venture cruise company SkySea Cruises (a Ctrip and RCCL venture company). Among the deck plan changes on the ship are new restaurants, new ice bar, added trampoline and mini-golf course.
- Ctrip is the China's leading travel agency, and also one of the largest travel brands in the country. The company's business is in transportation ticketing, accommodation reservation, travel tour packages, corporate travel deals. Ctrip is also a cruise booking agency, holding 10+% of the China's cruising market.