ms The World Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms The World
|Builder||FOSEN MEKANISKE VERKSTEDER AS|
|Owner||private cruise ship|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||196 m / 643 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||43188 gt|
|Passengers||150 - 200|
|Decks with cabins||12|
Review of ms The World
MS The World is the largest private cruise ship on the planet! The World ship serves as a residential community and is owned by its residents. The relatively small group of very special passengers are from about forty countries and live on the ship.
MS The World travels the globe, staying from 2 to 5 days in most ports, changing ports and destinations by vote. Some of the residents live full time while others come periodically onboard throughout the year. The operator of MS The World is ResidenSea (a company with headquarters in the US - Miramar, Florida).
The following review is integrated with:
MS The World cruise ship
The vessel carries between one and three hundred residents and guests. It is owned by the residents of The World- 130 different families from 19 countries- approximately 50% from North America, 35% from various European countries, 15% from Asia, Australia, South America & South Africa.
The unique idea about ms The World ship belongs to Knut U. Kloster- his family has a long history in cruise ship industry. The hull of the new vessel was built by Öresundsvarvet in Landskrona, Sweden, and it was towed in Rissa, Norway, to Fosen Mekaniske Verksted, for completion. Cruise ship The World was launched in the spring of 2002, and in October 2003 she was purchased by the residents.
As The World ship set sail on 18 Aug 2012 from Nome, Alaska, USA and on 12 Sept 2012 reached Nuuk, Greenland, she became the largest cruise ship (passenger vessel) which has ever transitted the Northwest Passage. MS The World, with 481 crew and passengers onboard, followed Captain Roald Amundsen path (first sailor completed journey in 1906) for 26 days. MS The World sailed 4,800 nautical miles (8,890 km, or 5,524 ml).
MS The World is environmentally friendly ship - the first of its size to burn marine diesel, not heavy bunker fuel, which allows the ship to call in areas banned for burning heavy fuel. The World ship is also the first to feature Scanship unique wastewater cleaning system - in it wastes are filtered by a flotation system.
In January 2016, Wärtsilä Corporation announced that The World, the biggest, private, residential ship in the world, will be retrofitted with Wartsila Advanced Wastewater treatment system and Wartsila Nacos Platinum system for navigation and external communication purposes.
The Wartsila Advanced Wastewater solution replaces an existing system and keeps the vessel in full compliance with the IMO (International Maritime Organization) requirements concerning prevention of pollution from ships.
- ship identification (IMO number): 9219331
- Flag-state (port of registry): Bahamas
- Operator: ResidenSea (address: "14471 Miramar Parkway, Miramar, FL 33027, USA", tel: +1 (954) 416-3644). Original owner - Knut Kloster Jr (the former chairman of "Royal Viking Line" and NCL - "Norwegian Cruise Lines").
- Ordered in 2000; Laid down in 2001; Launched in March 2002
- Builder: Fosen Mek. Verksteder A/S in Rissa, Norway
- Cost to build: USD 266 million
- Total number of cabins: 198, with 165 apartments; types - from a studio to a 3-bedroom suite.
- Weight/Tonnage: 43,524 GT
- Dimensions: Length: 196,35 m (644,2 ft); Width/Beam: 29,8 m (98 ft); Draft: 6,7 m (22 ft)
- Speed: 18,5 knots (34,3 kmh - 21,3 mph)
- Capacity: 150-200 passengers, 250 crew/staff
- Other - decks (12), 1 helicopter pad, 2 swimming pools, 1 tennis court, 4 restaurants, mini-golf course.
The World ship has facilities that are similar to the ones onboard a regular vessel, but also has some unique due to residential nature. As to its dining options, four are the major restaurants on board: East (serving Asian delights); Marina (serving seafood, rotisserie specialties, prime steaks); Portraits (serving haute cuisine- menus reflect every culinary port flavors); Tides(serving Mediterranean cuisine, Northern Italian flair).
Six restaurants are available onboard the World cruise ship- they supplement the kitchens in most of the apartments & dining ashore. The World Ship restaurants offer different light options- these cater to special requests, vegetarian, or diabetic diets.
Fredy’s Deli (serving tea, coffee, salada, sandwiches, pastries; includes gourmet market with fresh local products); Pool Grill (poolside venue, serving light meals, salads, burgers); The Garden (tea room & lounge).
The diverse selection of bars and cocktail lounges onboard ms The World, includes:
Cigar Club (English-style cognac & smoking bar); Lobby Bar (serving wine & champagne, bourbons, signature cocktails); Marina Bar (full-service bar offering wines & tropical drinks); Pool Bar (serving light & fresh lunch/dinner); Quantum Night Club (offering international liquors & alcoholic beverages); Regatta Bar (with spectacular view!).
Spa, Fitness and Health
All you can wish onboard The World cruise ship: two swimming pools; water sports retractable marina; jogging track; full-size tennis court; paddle tennis court; golf facilities (with golf simulator), driving ranges; full-service fitness center (exercise classes, personal trainers, saunas).
The World ship Spa "Clinique La Prairie" is spacious (7000 ft2 / 650 m2) following Asian traditions which date back centuries. The Spa offers an ambience and luxury for ultimate escape. Guests and residents can be pampered with a menu of relaxation treatments including: aqua spa; body massages & scrubs; hair treatments; aesthetics; facials; make-up services; hand, nail & foot treatments; tropical rainmist and waxing.
Amenities, onboard services, video tours
The World Ship offers countless services & amenities- expeditions and land programs, unique art gallery, chapel, library, concierge, Medical Center, theater, night club, video-on-demand. For onboard entertainment there are also classes offered in topics such as navigation, dance, language, cooking, music, computers, arts and crafts, photography. There is also a boutique, a small grocery store & delicatessen.
The World provides each residence with Internet access! Passengers are able to stay connected in their ‘Office Away From Home’ with no need to interrupt exploring the Globe. The World ship residents are able to ‘stay connected’ through phone & Internet capabilities in their shipboard home offices, to conduct business effectively from the comfort of own residences while exploring numerous cultures and destinations on the continuous global journeys. Telephone and internet services on The World cruise ship allow resident owners to go on with their businesses efficiently from wherever the World ship happens to be.
ms The World cruise ship apartments/cabins
The 165 Residences aboard cruise ship The World range from studios to three-bedroom expansive units and six-bedroom penthouse suite (boasting accommodations for up to 12 passengers). All homes aboard ms The World have been sold, but there are a number of Residences which are available for resale. There are also additional annual maintenance fees based on apartments' square footage. The World cruise ship provides 40 studios, 19 one- & two-bedroom studio apartments, 106 two- & three-bedroom apartments, 88 suites. Prices vary and are based on size, location, decor, market conditions.
Four of the world's most renowned interior design companies have been contracted to shape styles and design The World ship's 2- and 3-bedroom apartments and public rooms. Names list includes Nina Campbell (UK), Juan Pablo Molyneux (JP Molyneux Studio), Di Pilla (TMT Design), Yran & Storbraaten (maritime design).
ms The World ship prices - apartment cost, rentals, fees
First of all, this is a modern big cruise ship you can actually live on. Well, you and me probably not, but celebrities like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Madonna, for example, own suites on it. So if you can afford the below apartment prices, you'll buy yourself the pleasure to enjoy a celebrity company - once and awhile. The choice includes 165 top-luxury apartments, ranging in category from studios to 3-bedroom suites.
- Studio cost - US$600,000 (initially were sold at $90,000).
- Two Bed (Ocean Residence) apartment cost - US$2,950,000
- ms The World Suites cost - only US$13,500,000 (initially sold at $6 mill).
- Short-term rentals - you can rent some of The World's cruise apartments (depending on category) from ~$550 for a studio apartment (per person per night, min for 5 days) to suite rentals - from ~$20,000 a month. Some of the residences are also available for rent - at US$2100 a day. Discounts are available for repeat guests.
- The World ship's apartments sizes vary from 1350 ft2 (125 m2) to 3000 ft2 (280 m2) "cruise mansions".
If you fantasy about becoming an apartment owner on ms The World, you should also know that ship service fees (depending on property) start from US$60,000 to US$270,000 a year. These cover crew, fuel, maintenance, port charges, meal allowance. US$8 million is the entry fee. This amount of money buys you a lease expiring in the distant 2052. As to the maintenance fees mentioned above - they are ~5-6% of the apartment's sale price. As to the ship's occupancy - it rarely goes above 200 passengers.
The ResidenSea company has the policy of not revealing who the buyers are, but they assure that ms The World doesn't have residents with criminal records. Latest news confirm that all the ship's studios and 3-bedroom apartments are sold out. But there's always a chance some owner to decide to sell its property there, right? And to sweeten the deal, they advertise that you can enjoy on The World ship - for absolutely free - Spa treatments at "Clinique La Prairie", to shop at the Graff's boutique there, or to leisurely play at the ship's mini-golf course. If you are prospective buyer, you also must submit a list of your assets, which will be duly verified by The World ship's accountants and lawyers.
The World ship is a tax haven - for everybody willing to spend most of the year at sea, away from home. Living on this ship has tax implications, because you're absent for a certain time in a year in your country (tax laws in your home country still apply).
MS The World itinerary
How is the cruise ship The World itinerary decided upon? The itinerary route is selected through a voting process by Resident community and it is based on the personal interests of residents and the best sea routes. The World ship itinerary is usually determined two years in advance by the Captains, Resident Itinerary Committee, and the Director of Itinerary & Destination Planning.
Cruise ship The World sails to various destinations and all kinds of regions- and these are continuous and worldwide! The World cruise ship journeys focus on extended stays- of average three days in each port, thus ensuring that residents and guests have enough time to explore destinations. Unlike most cruise ships, ms The World spends twice as many days in call ports as at sea.
From Canary Islands and Madeira, you will cross the Atlantic ocean and enjoy the Caribbean warmth, feel the excitement of passing through the Panama Canal! Then you can enjoy the way along the west coast of South America and island-hop across Pacific to New Zealand. Papua, New Guinea & Solomon Islands are next on expert-led expedition. The most exotic Asian spots are waiting for you to discover. The Sea of Okhotsk wildlife expedition is also rare. Another interesting experience while aboard The World cruise ship is visiting not only South Korea- you will be able to visit North Korea as well!
ms The World ship itinerary as ports, countries, destinations
- Europe, Transatlantic, Caribbean
- Funchal, Madeira - Portugal; Los Cristianos, Tenerife & Las Palmas, Canary Islands- Spain; Guadeloupe, Îles de Saintes & St. Barts- France; San Juan- Puerto Rico; New Orleans- USA.
- Caribbean, South America
- Tampa- USA; Progreso- Mexico; Belize City- Belize; Bocas del Toro- Panama; Panama Canal Transit; Flamenco Island (Panama City); Isla Saboga- Panama; Esmeraldas & Guayaquil- Ecuador.
- Pacific Islands
- Callao- Peru; Easter Island- Chile; Raivavae, Papeete, Moorea, Huahine & Bora Bora- French Polynesia.
- South Pacific
- Aitutaki & Rarotonga- Cook Islands; Norfolk Island- Australia; Bay of Islands, Auckland, Great Barrier Island, Napier, Wellington, Nelson, Kaikoura, Lyttelton & Akaroa- New Zealand.
- Australia New England
- Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Stewart Island & Fjord Cruising- New Zealand; Sydney, Brisbane, Hamilton Island, Port Douglas & Cairns- Australia.
- Solomon Islands Expedition; Port Moresby- New Guinea; Dili- East Timor; Kupang, West Timor, Benoa, Bali, Surabaya & Palau Karimunjawa- Indonesia.
- Semarang (Borobudur), Jakarta, Krakatoa- Indonesia; Singapore; Tioman Island- Malaysia; Kuching- Malaysia; Muara- Brunei; Labuan Island, Kota Kinabalu & Sandakan- Malaysia; Boracay Island & Manila- Philippines.
- Keelung (Taipei)- Taiwan; Naha, Okinawa, Amami, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Kanazawa, Hakodate & Otaru (Sapporo)- Japan; Sea of Okhotsk Expedition- Russia.
- Otaru (Sapporo)- Japan; Vladivostok- Russia; Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya, Shingu & Kobe- Japan.
- Takamatsu & Hiroshima- Japan; Busan, Sanji, Cheju & Incheon- South Korea; Dalian & Tianjin (Beijing)- China; Nampo- North Korea; Nanjing & Shanghai- China.
- Zhenhai (Ningbo), Hong Kong & Sanya, Hainan Island- China; Ha Long bay (Hanoi), Chan May (Hué & Da Nang), Nha Trang & Ho Chi Minh- Vietnam.
- Phu Quoc- Vietnam; Sihanoukville (Phnom Penh)- Cambodia; Ko Samui- Thailand; Pattaya & Bangkok- Thailand; Redang Island & Kuantan- Malaysia; Phuket & Phi Phi Island- Thailand; Malacca- Malaysia; Singapore.
ms The World wiki
On January 28, 2017, the privately-owned residential cruise ship The World broke the world's record for the most southerly navigation. The vessel reached Bay of Whales (Ross Sea, Antarctica) - coordinates 78°43.997'S and 163°41•421´W. The record was for cruising the furthest south any passenger ship has ever sailed. The record was achieved at 10:41 hrs (New Zealand time).
- During the Antarctica itinerary, the ship carried 145 passengers (residents and their guests) and 272 crew members. The ship was commanded by its Captain Dag Saevik. The itinerary's length was over 5000 nautical miles (5754 ml / 9260 km).
- Among the few passenger vessels that have made the voyage to this remote part of Antarctica is Akademik Shokalskiy (Russian ice-strengthened expedition ship, built in 1982). The Russian Federation owned vessel was chartered by the Heritage Expeditions company and on February 2016, it reported reaching 78°43.971'S.
ms The World related cruise news
Nelson NZ may soon welcome twenty cruise ships per year as work continues to increase the potential of the city as a destination. The...February 11, 2017
The private residential cruise ship MS The World broke the record for the most southerly navigation reaching 78°43•997´S and 163°...February 2, 2017
One of the most exclusive cruise ships in the world, ms The World, lost an anchor in Port Arthur bay. Currently, the ship is waiting in Hobart port...January 15, 2017
MS The World, which has been the only permanent residence at sea for a long time, will soon be joined by Utopia cruise ship, almost twice the size of...November 25, 2016
The largest privately owned residential yacht in the world, ms The World cruise ship, docked in Doha Port on Monday, marking the beginning of cruise...October 19, 2016
MS The World, now exploring the Middle East, is boasting refurbished public areas completed by marine interior specialist Trimline during...October 6, 2016
Antwerp has more than 600 rivership calls in 2016 and expects 25 from ocean-going ships. In total over 100,000 passengers will call on the Belgian...June 12, 2016