Mauritius Ports Authority, H.Ramnarain Building, Mer RougePort Louis, Mauritius
66 °F / 19 °C
Port Louis is a port city on Mauritius Island (western Indian Ocean), located approx 930 km (580 ml) from Madagascar (southeastern Africa). The city has total area approx 47 km2 (18 ml2) and population around 150,000. The port features a deep-water natural harbour surrounded by mountains. The cruise port access is through a break in a coral reef.
Port Louis is also Mauritius' capital city, main economic, political and cultural center and largest city with numerous entertainment and activities options, rich cultural heritage. City's economy is based on finance and banking, tourism, shipping (seaport facilities), manufacturing (textiles, plastics, chemicals, pharmaceuticals). The town has 5 districts - Islamic, Hindu, Chinese, Creole, Christian. The island was home of the world-famous bird Dodo, which became extinct during Dutch Mauritius (1638-1710 / occupation by Dutch East India Company).
The city has numerous monuments and buildings which reflect its diverse and rich colonial history. Close to downtown are several French colonial buildings (from the 18th century), among which is the Government House. Other landmarks include Jummah Mosque, St James Cathedral, Tamil Temple, Chinese Pagoda, Theatre, Champ de Mars Racecourse.
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport (fka Plaisance Airport) is Mauritius' main airport, located approx 48 km (30 ml) southeast from the city (around or ~2 hours drive distance). The airport serves direct flights to Africa, Asia, Europe, plus the island countries Reunion, Seychelles, Madagascar. Here is also headquartered country's flag carrier Air Mauritius - ranked in 2017 as the 4th largest in sub-Saharan Africa (south of Sahara desert). The facility serves (year-round flights) the companies Air Austral (Reunion - Saint-Denis, Saint-Pierre), Corsair International and Air France (Paris), British Airways and TUI Airways (London), Condor (Frankfurt), Edelweiss Air (Zurich), Eurowings (Munich), Turkish Airlines (Istanbul), Air Madagascar (Antananarivo), Air Mauritius, Air Seychelles (Mahe), Kenya Airways (Nairobi), Emirates (Dubai), Saudia (Jeddah, Riyadh), South African Airways (Johannesburg).
Port Louis cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Mauritius Island dock (anchor) at Port Louis - port town on the northwestern coast. Port Louis cruise terminal (Christian Decotter) is the first in the region that has capacity to berth world's largest cruise ships. The newly renovated terminal (opened in 2018) won in 2010 the "Most Improved Cruise Terminal Facility" award. It was given at the 26th Annual Cruise Shipping Miami (conference and industry exhibition event held each year in PortMiami Florida USA). In 2011, the terminal received the "Indian Ocean’s Leading Cruise Port" award. It was given at the World Travel Awards ceremony in Sharm El Sheikh (Egypt).
Christian Decotter Cruise Terminal has two access bridges for cruise tourists and vehicles. Future plans include building a walkway from the terminal to downtown. The security system consists of CCTV cameras (used all over) and gate access control (fenced areas). In front of the terminal are the parking areas for private vehicles and taxis.
Port Louis tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Beaches: they are stunning! You spend amazing time enjoying the beauty of the coral reefs, the endless sun and the perfect sand. If you have more time, visit the ” must-see” Pereybere Cove. It is located 12 km from Port Louis cruise port, direction North. Near the beach is the popular water sport area Grand Bay. Another amazing white sand beach is the Flic en Flac. It is located 12 km from Port Louis cruise port, direction south.
- Place d’Armes: the square is not far from Port Louis cruise port terminal and houses original buildings such as museums, churches, government houses and the famous Mahé de Labourdonnais statue.
- Fort Adelaide: it was built in the middle 1800s by the British and now is one of the four not ruined forts. You can take an amazing city view from its citadel.
- Museums: close to the market is the Natural History Museum. There you can see extinct dodo replica. In the Mauritius Postal Museum there are assorted philately and collection of rare stamps.
- Black River George: main attraction for the island, must see if you have enough time. The park area spreads over more than 6,500 hectares and is located in the south of Mauritius.
Port Port Louis cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Port Louis, Mauritius Island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
- Cruise Industry
Abu Dhabi Ports and Mauritius Ports Authority signed an agreement to pool combined expertise in order to enhance the maritime sector across the...July 3, 2019
- show more news