Mein Schiff 5 Review and Specifications
Specifications of Mein Schiff 5
|Year built||2016 / Age : 2|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||EUR 500 million (USD 620 million)|
|Owner||TUI AG and RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||293 m / 961 ft|
|Beam (width)||35 m / 115 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||99800 gt|
|Passengers||2534 - 2700|
|Decks with cabins||12|
|Christened by||Lena Meyer-Landrut|
Current itinerary of Mein Schiff 5
Mein Schiff 5 current cruise is 14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik. The itinerary starts on 07 Dec, 2018 and ends on 21 Dec, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|07 Dec 22:00||Departing from La Romana, Dominican Republic|
|09 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|10 Dec 07:00 - 23:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|12 Dec 07:30 - 22:30||Pointe-a-Pitre, Grande-Terre Island, Guadeloupe|
|13 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||Roseau, Dominica|
|14 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|15 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||St Georges, Grenada|
|17 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles|
|18 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||Kralendijk, Bonaire Island, Dutch Antilles|
|19 Dec 07:30 - 19:00||Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles|
|21 Dec 07:30||Arriving in La Romana, Dominican Republic|
Review of Mein Schiff 5
TUI Mein Schiff 5 cruise ship is owned by TUI Cruises and built by Meyer Turku Shipyard (Finland). TUI Schiff 5 has all 5 sisterships (from the same series) – Schiff 3 (2014), Schiff 4 (2015), Schiff 6 (2017), Schiff 1 (2018) and Schiff 2 (2019).
History - construction and ownership
TUI Cruises is a Germany-based Joint venture cruise company of TUI Group (British-German travel and tourism corporation) and RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd - US passenger shipping company). TUI started operations in 2009, targeting predominantly the German-speaking market with a premium travel vacation product. German is the main onboard language on all TUI Schiffs (ships). TUI's sister-brand is Marella Cruises (UK source market).
The 99,800-ton, 2,534-passenger Mein Schiff 5 was launched on January 15, 2016 at Meyer Turku shipyard in Finland, following a 14-month construction period.
The newbuild was then towed to the outfitting pier close to the shipyard where its interior and exterior areas were fitted out over the following months. The launch took place 6 months ahead of the ship's scheduled christening ceremony on July 15, held at Lubeck Bay (close to Travemunde Germany).
Schiff 5 uses highly innovative technology for environmentally-friendly ship operations. Each ship in this series consumes 30% less energy in comparison with vessels of similar size. By using combined exhaust gas treatment systems for reducing bad emissions, these ships fully exploit all that is technically feasible.
TUI Mein Schiff 5 cruise deals are ticket-price inclusive of:
- 24-hour food and snacks on the ship
- over 100 brand beverages and cocktails (excepting premium brand alcohol)
- facilities and entertainment for children and teens
- complimentary access to SPA's sauna area
- complimentary Gym and wellness courses
- onboard entertainment (shows, concerts, theatrical and musical performances)
- gratuities (all onboard tips).
Cruise itinerary program
Mein Schiff 5 itinerary program was initially based on Mediterranean roundtrips from Mallorca and Caribbean roundtrips from Dominican Republic (La Romana) and Barbados (Bridgetown). The ship offers Transatlantic repositioning (Europe-Caribbean-Europe), between Mediterranean-Baltic and through Suez Canal (Mediterranean-Dubai-Mediterranean).
- During winter, Schiff 5 cruises to Eastern and Southern Caribbean ports leaving roundtrip from Barbados and Dominican Republic. The 14-day Karibik itineraries visit ports in Guadeloupe, Dominica, St Lucia, Grenada, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba.
- Northern European itineraries are Germany-roundtrips to UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, England) and Norway (Norwegian Fjords).
- The 7-day Dubai roundtrips visit Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, UAE (Sir Bani Yas Island, Abu Dhabi), with Dubai pre- and post-cruise overnights. In 2020, a special 14-day cruise from Dubai visits India (Mumbai, Cochin, Mormugao).
Mein Schiff 5 has 12 passenger decks and a total of 1267 cabins (of which 963 Balcony rooms, 97 Oceanview, 127 Inside) in 23 grades. The 15-decks high TUI Schiff 5 boasts with all 2,534 lower beds. Over 80% of the staterooms are outside, and around 82% - balconied. All suites and family cabins additionally have an Xbox 360 video games console. Schiff 5 offers completely individual cabin categories. Among the ship’s special features are the 2-tiered Himmel-Meer suites with private rooftop terraces. For families are designed the new family comfort rooms “Verandah Deluxe at home”. There are also Spa balcony cabins with exclusive spa facilities access.
All Schiff 5 staterooms offer as standard amenities 2 single beds (1 double bed), bedside cabinets (with drawers and reading lamp), sofabed (or 1-2 Pullman beds), flat TV (sattelite reception, infotainment system with on-demand movies, Internet, ship info channel), direct dial phone, wardrobe, electronic safe box (in the closet), minibar, Nespresso coffee machine (2 capsules are included per day), water carafe with glasses, mirrored dressing table (writing desk) with chair, en-suite bathroom (WC, shower, single-sink vanity, hairdryer, bathrobes, slippers, bath products - shower gel, shampoo, conditioner), individually controlled air-conditioning, 24-hour room service.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The food in the large “Anckelmannsplatz” buffet restaurant is all included in fare. Mein Schiff 5 also boasts a bakery offering freshly prepared tarts or paninis for free. The Atlantic restaurant is divided into 3 themed restaurants and guests may choose to eat Asian, Mediterranean food or 5-course meals (all also included). Gosch Sylt offers fish, and another Bistro – smaller snacks. For an additional charge, enjoy the Hanami – exquisite Japanese restaurant, visit the specialty Richards, or the Steak Surf and Turf restaurant.
Follows the complete list of Mein Schiff 5 restaurants and food bars.
- “Atlantic Classic” (530-seat, complimentary main dining room (of all three) for buffet-style Breakfast and waiter-served Lunch and Dinner. Some menu inclusions are at extra charge
- “Atlantik Brasserie” (265-seat main dining room; offers French cuisine specialties, a la carte menu and healthy choices)
- “Atlantik Mediterran” (266-seat Mediterranean themed main dining room. Some items in the menu are marked as “family meals”)
- Hanami (62-seat specialty Japanese restaurant for sushi and traditional specialties at surcharge)
- Tag & Nacht (Day & Night 24-hour 88-seat bistro)
- “Richards” (“Fine Dining” 70-seat dinner restaurant, reservations required, at surcharge PP)
- Surf & Turf (specialty seafood and steakhouse restaurant)
- Backstube / Bakery (120-seat, complimentary)
- Anckelmannsplatz buffet restaurant (745-seat, with partially covered outdoor area for al-fresco dining; complimentary, self-service, with various food stations)
- GOSCH Sylt (133-seat complimentary seafood restaurant, a la carte menu; with outdoor seating area)
- Außenalster Bar & Grill.
In comparison to TUI ships 3 and 4, new features on ships 5 and 6 are:
- Thalia Leselounge (reading lounge) and Nespresso Bar (both on deck 3 / the ship's lobby area was redesigned)
- Hanami (Asian restaurant by Tim Raue, deck 5)
- Schmankerl-Entspannt (Austrian restaurant, deck 5)
- Osteria (pizzeria, deck 5)
- Lagune (outdoor pool, deck 12).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The main language on board TUI Mein Schiff 5 is German. Almost all beverages, food and gratuities are included in cruise price. The evening entertainment program in the theater includes theatrical performances, opera, musicals, varietes, music shows like Beatles, Sketch Parade, flying acrobatic artists and magicians. The theater boasts dynamic LED screens and a revolving stage.
Follows the complete list of Mein Schiff 5 lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Theater (1000-seat main show lounge for grand-style show productions; with a revolving stage and eight dynamic LED screens)
- Sturmfrei (Teens Lounge featuring video gaming consoles, dance floor, foosball table, activities like karaoke, cooking classes, teen parties, movies, etc.)
- The Playground area (with Internet corner and Spielplatz/video console games. Internet access is complimentary for all Suite guests. Wi-Fi is available shipwide, prices are per minute, 1 hour or 3 hours)
- Atelier (Workshop/art studio for painters)
- Klanghaus (Sound House - the first ever chamber music room at sea, 300-seat with concert hall simulating acoustics; hosts events like opera, classical concerts, chamber music, jazz, cabaret performances, theatrical readings, comedies, media presentations)
- The Neuer Wall shopping arcades
- TUI Bar; Coffee Lounge; Diamant Bar (Diamond Bar); Abtanz Bar (100-seat disco nightclub); Rauchersalon (Cigar Room); Schau Bar (249-seat Show Bar); Champagner Treff (Champagnes Match; wine bar); Uberschau Bar (50-seat wellness bar with a “healthy drinks” menu); Unverzicht Bar (poolside bar); Eis Bar (40-seat Ice Bar)
- Casino (20-seat; open only during sea days)
- Grosse Freiheit (one of the most special places onboard, located at the aft of the ship and including various restaurants; features a 1800 ft2/167 m2 glass wall / diamond-shaped facade which spans on 2 decks)
- SPA Sauna area (with a Finnish Sauna room, Herbal Sauna, Salt Sauna, Tea Lounge)
- Himmel & Meer Lounge (Suite Guests only); X-Lounge (Suite-guests only lounge)
- SPA & Meer (SPA & Sea complex with a Rasul Room/mud bath, Treatment Rooms, Zen Garden, saunas; Beauty Salon)
- Sport & Gesunheit (Sport & Health Fitness Centre; Fitness classes/personal trainers provided at surcharge)
- Aussenpool (outdoor pool area with a 25 m long swimming pool named Lagune, extensive sunbathing area, Aussenalster Bar & Grill)
- Innenpool (indoor, 2-level pool area with 1 swimming pool and 1 whirlpool)
- Outdoor large-size LED Movie Screen
- Insel der Seerauber (Pirates’ Island Kids Club complimentary lounge)
- Nest (baby room; offers babysitting services at surcharge)
- Arena (open-air combined sports court); Sport & Gesundheit Kursraum (spinning room for sport classes); Power Walking / Jogging Track
- Blauer Balkon (Blue Balcony) the “walk on water” spot features 11 m2 (140 ft2) glass-floor platforms positioned 37 m (120 ft) above sea level.
TUI schiff einkaufsbummel (onboard shopping)
TUI schiff SPA und Sport
TUI schiff sonnenbereiche und poolbereiche (sundeck and pool deck areas)
Mein Schiff 5 wiki
- Mein Schiff 5 cruise ship is the third newbuild vessel for TUI constructed by STX Finland in Turku. The shipbuilding company was bought out by Meyer Werft GmbH in 2015. All the new TUI cruise vessels were built with energy efficient solutions and environmentally friendly power plants that reduce emissions by 30% and consume 30% less energy in comparison to other ships of similar size. The advanced scrubber (exhaust cleaning system) uses a catalytic and scrubber converter, which reduces sulphur emissions by 99% and nitrogen oxide emissions by 75%.
- Designers of the new TUI liners are Wilson Butler Architects, together with CM Design and Tillberg Design. Fun fact is, that each ship in this new series brings nearly 5000 person-years labor to the Turku shipyard. Each ship's construction engages 800 out of all 1400 workers at the shipbuilding yard. The percentage of German travelers on board TUI ships is around 80%.
- The vessel's hull construction started with the keel laying ceremony (held on June 23, 2015). The ceremony started by lowering the first keel block into the shipyard’s drydock hall. Traditionally, "lucky coins" were put under the keel block.
- The vessel was floated out on January 15, 2016 at Meyer Werft's newly acquired Turku shipyard. The 14 months construction period involved 1500 employees. A total of 77 steel blocks were melted into a new cruise ship in the course of construction. By the old maritime tradition, during the keel-laying ceremony coins were put under the keel block - to bring good luck for the vessel.
- The vessel was delivered 10 days earlier than scheduled - on June 20, 2016. The delivery ceremony was attended by Frank Kuhlmann (TUI's CFO), Wybcke Meier (TUI's CEO) and Dr Jan Meyer (Meyer Turku's CEO).
- TUI Schiff 5 is the first cruise ship that was both contracted and built totally under Meyer Werft's ownership. In the afternoon of June 21, the mooring ropes were cut and the ship crewed with around 1000 people left the shipbuilding yard and headed for Kiel Germany (its ever first cruise port of call_ where arrived on June 23.
- The vessel's christening ceremony was held on July 15, 2016, at Lubeck Bay (near Travemunde Germany). Godmother is Lena Meyer-Landrut - a popular German singer and songwriter. Following her 'Satellite" song live performance, she beamed a laser ray off the top of the Maritim Strandhotel which set off a mechanism that smashed a Champagne bottle against the hull. The naming ceremony also featured acrobatic performances (by "Les Oiseaux du paradis") and a fireworks show streamed on multiple LED screens along the beach. Part of the ceremony were also the ship's 1800 cruise passengers and over 300 special guests, among which Richard Fain (RCCL company's CEO and Chairman).
- The inaugural cruise was on July 16-24 (Baltic Capitals itinerary) round-trip from Kiel to Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm.
- On September 12, 2016, the vessel made its inaugural UK stop - docking in Portland England. During the port stay, over 75% of the shore excursions were to Dorset's attractions, including the Jurassic Coast, Abbotsbury Swannery, Corfe Castle, Minterne House, Portland Bill.
- During its Inaugural season (summer of 2016), Schiff 5 sailed on various Northern European itineraries (Norway, UK, Baltic /Scandinavia and Russia). During winter, the ship sailed on roundtrip Mediterranean itineraries leaving from Spain (Palma De Mallorca), Transatlantic repositioning crossings and Caribbean cruises leaving from Barbados (Bridgetown) and Dominican Republic (La Romana).
Inaugural itineraries 2016
Follows the list of special and repositioning cruise itineraries of the new TUI Schiff 5 ship, with ticket prices per person.
- "Inaugural Cruise "(July 16-24) was an 8-day Baltic roundtrip from Kiel Germany to at Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. Prices started from EUR 1800 pp. The maiden summer season offered Baltic Sea, Norway, Northern and Western European itineraries. The Caribbean was planned for winter 2016-2017.
- November 2 (Transatlantic repositioning) - 17-day / 16-night from Palma De Mallorca to Caribbean - La Romana (Dominican Republic), to Malaga, Gibraltar, Canaries (Arrecife), Cape Verde (Mindelo), Barbados (Bridgetown), Guadeloupe (Pointe A Pitre), BVI (Tortola)
- November 2 (Transatlantic repositioning) - 20-day / 19-night Transatlantic cruise to Caribbean from Palma De Mallorca to Bridgetown (Barbados), to Malaga, Gibraltar, Canaries (Arrecife), Cape Verde (Mindelo), Barbados (Bridgetown), Guadeloupe (Pointe A Pitre), BVI (Tortola), Dominican Republic (La Romana), Dominica (Roseau) - prices started from EUR 2020 pp.
- November 18 (Inaugural "Caribbean Cruise") - 15-day / 14-night roundtrip from La Romana to Roseau (20), Barbados (21 + 22), Pointe A Pitre (23), Martinique (Fort de France /24), St Lucia (Castries /25), Grenada (St Georges /26), Curacao (Willemstad /28), Bonaire (Kralendijk /29), Aruba (Oranjestad /30) - prices started from EUR 2020.
- April 7 (2017 Transatlantic repositioning) - 18-day / 17-night from La Romana to Palma De Mallorca, to Roseau, Bridgetown, St Kitts (Basseterre), St Maarten (Philipsburg), Madeira (Funchal), Cadiz.
- April 10 (2017 Transatlantic repositioning) - 15-day / 14-night Transatlantic from Bridgetown to Palma De Mallorca, to Basseterre, Philipsburg, Funchal, Cadiz.
Godspeed to the new ship!
Mein Schiff 5 - user reviews and comments
Photos of Mein Schiff 5Add Photo
Other TUI Cruises cruise ships
Mein Schiff 5 Itineraries
The below listed Mein Schiff 5 cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest TUI Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 26||17 days, one-way from Palma de Mallorca to Bridgetown||Palma de Mallorca|
|2018 Nov 09||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2018 Nov 12||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2018 Nov 23||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2018 Nov 26||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2018 Dec 07||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2018 Dec 10||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2018 Dec 21||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2018 Dec 24||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Jan 04||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Jan 07||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Jan 18||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Jan 21||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Feb 01||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Feb 04||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Feb 15||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Feb 18||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Mar 01||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Mar 04||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Mar 15||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Mar 18||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Mar 29||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Dom. Republik||La Romana|
|2019 Apr 01||14 days, round-trip Karibik Ab/Bis Barbados||Bridgetown|
|2019 Apr 12||17 days, one-way from La Romana to Palma de Mallorca||La Romana|
|2019 Apr 15||14 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Palma de Mallorca||Bridgetown|
|2019 Apr 29||11 days, one-way from Palma de Mallorca to Hamburg||Palma de Mallorca|
|2019 May 10||10 days, round-trip Grosbritannien Ab Hamburg I||Hamburg|
|2019 May 20||8 days, round-trip Norwegen Mit Bergen I||Hamburg|
|2019 May 28||12 days, round-trip Grosbritannien Ab Hamburg Ii||Hamburg|
|2019 Jun 09||11 days, round-trip Norwegen Mit Nordkap Ii||Hamburg|
|2019 Oct 04||16 days, one-way from Heraklion to Dubai||Heraklion|
|2019 Oct 20||15 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Bahrain & Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Oct 20||8 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Bahrain||Dubai|
|2019 Oct 28||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 04||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 04||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 11||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 11||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 18||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 18||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 25||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Nov 25||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 02||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 02||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 09||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 09||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 16||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 16||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 23||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 23||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 30||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2019 Dec 30||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 06||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 06||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 13||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 13||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 20||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 20||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 27||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Jan 27||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Feb 03||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Feb 10||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Indien||Dubai|
|2020 Feb 24||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Feb 24||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Mar 02||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman & Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Mar 02||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Mar 09||14 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar & Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Mar 09||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Katar||Dubai|
|2020 Mar 16||7 days, round-trip Dubai Mit Oman||Dubai|
|2020 Mar 23||16 days, one-way from Dubai to Heraklion||Dubai|
|2020 Apr 08||10 days, round-trip Griechenland Mit Zypern||Heraklion|