Former name: Cartour Epsilon
IRISH FERRIES (Ferries)
Epsilon ferry current position
Epsilon ferry current location is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 52.92709 N / -5.88124 W) cruising at speed of 19.3 kn (36 km/h | 22 mph) en route to DUBLIN. The AIS position was reported 4 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Epsilon ferry
|Year of build||2011 / Age: 12|
|Builder||Cantiere Navale Visentini (Porto Viro / Porto Levante, Italy)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Dublin-Holyhead-(Cherbourg)|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 km/h / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||187 m / 614 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||26375 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
|Former names||Cartour Epsilon|
Epsilon ferry Review
Review of Epsilon ferry
MV Epsilon ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Ireland-based company IRISH FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 400 passengers and 70 cars. The vessel was launched in 2011 and currently operates on the Ireland-Wales and Ireland-France ferry routes Dublin-Holyhead (crossing time 2 hours) and Dublin-Cherbourg (crossing time 19 hours).
As cruise ferry, Epsilon has a total of 70 cabins (total stateroom capacity 276 passengers), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. The ship also has wheelchair-accessible cabins (adapted for disabled passengers). Priority boarding is offered to all car drivers.
Epsilon staterooms are all located on deck 6 (disabled are on deck 5) and in the following categories:
- 3-star Twin Outside (4-berth Window Cabin with 2 lower beds / non-convertible to a queen, 2 pull-down bunk beds, mini-fridge)
- 2-star Twin Outside (4-berth Window Cabin with 2 lower beds / non-convertible to a queen, 2 pull-down bunk beds)
- Twin Inside (4-berth Interior Cabin with 2 lower beds / non-convertible to a queen, 2 pull-down bunk beds, no windows)
- 3-star Twin Outside (2-berth Window Cabin with 2 lower beds)
- 2-star Twin Outside (2-berth Window Cabin with 2 lower beds)
- Twin Inside (2-berth Interior Cabin with 2 lower beds, no windows)
- 2-berth Disabled Cabin ((wheelchair-accessible, midship location - close to the elevator on deck 5, with wider entry door, 2 lower beds, adapted bathroom - wider door, raised toilet seat, grab bars, shower seat, adjustable showerhead). These cabins are located very close to the ship's disabled vehicle parking spaces.
All cabins are fitted with a small writing table with chair and a TV.
There is no lift access from deck 5 to deck 6 (only by stairs / 20 steps).
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Epsilon ship offers:
Boylan's Brasserie (self-service buffet restaurant) offers Breakfast Menu (served up to 11 am - cereals, yogurts, toasts, Children's Breakfast, Full House / bacon, egg, sausage, hash brown, baked beans, pudding, tomato, tea and coffee), beverages (coffees, teas, hot chocolate, Coca Cola drinks, milk, fresh juice, wine by the glass), snacks (9-inch pizzas, salmon plate, cheese plate, baguettes, croissants, muffins, biscuits, fresh bread rolls, fruit scones). Lunch and Dinner Menu includes fresh-made soup of the day, a meat dish (on select voyages), a chicken dish, kids dish, Chef's Special, Fish & Chips, home-made beef pie, fresh-made sandwiches, salads, desserts, made-to-order vegetarian dishes. All the food is freshly prepared using the finest local produce.
Cafe Lafayette is the ship's Cafeteria (self-service snack bar/patisserie/ Costa Coffee bar). Snack options include croissants, panini sandwiches, homemade muffins and scones, fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fresh fruit smoothies, sweet crepes, pancakes, Belgian waffles, light refreshments.
Java Republic (specialty coffee and tea bar)
The duty-free shop is a small convenience store selling travel essentials, gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, toys.
Free Wi-Fi is also available.
Reception Desk with adjacent Bureau de Change (ATM/cashier services)
Seating Lounge (with windows) is located on deck 6 and is fitted with leather reclining seats. The lounge is air-conditioned, with a large TV. Blankets and pillows are available free of charge.
Car passengers can bring as much luggage as their vehicle can handle. Foot passengers between Ireland and UK must check-in bulky items, but have no access to them during the voyage. Foot passengers traveling between Ireland and France are allowed to bring only carry-on luggage as check-in facilities are not available.
The ship has kennels for domestic pets. Valid health cards for pets are required. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
- On voyages between Ireland and the UK, pets are allowed to board the ship with car and foot passengers. Pets are not allowed on any of the passenger decks.
- Car passengers can leave their pets in their vehicle or in the ship's kennels (free of charge, pre-booking is required). Foot passengers must transport their pets to and from the ship in either pet cage or other carrier. The animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the trip.
- The ferry company participates in PETS (Pet Travel Scheme) system allowing pet animals to travel easily on ferries between European member countries without undergoing quarantine. In accordance with PETS requirements, on voyages between Ireland and France, pets must have all the needed documentation in order to be able to travel. Pets check-ins are at least 2 hours prior departure. Each animal is charged EUR 45 / 75 / 100 per voyage. On these voyages, pets are allowed to travel only in the ship's kennels (cat boxes) and not in vehicles. As each ferry has a limited number of kennels/boxes, pre-booking is required. Visit the pets during the voyage is allowed, but only at designated times and in the company of a crew member.
Guide dogs travel freely, but proper documentation must be provided by the owner. Guide dogs are allowed to travel with their owners, with access to all passenger decks and all public spaces.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having the car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, the vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Car ferry passengers must arrive at the departure port 90 min prior departure.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk.
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship-charterer Irish Ferries (fleet, 1992-founded, headquartered in Dublin Ireland) is a division of ICG (Irish Continental Group) operating passenger and freight ferries on routes connecting Ireland with the UK and Europe.
Epsilon ferry - user reviews and comments
Epsilon ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Irish Ferries started 2021 ship drydocking with Ulysses
Dublin headquartered Irish Ferries started its 2021 drydocking on Tuesday, February 16. Having been released by WB Yeats ferry, Ulysses ferry left...February 16, 2021
- Cruise Industry
DFDS names first 2 of 3 new Rosslare-Dunkerque ferries
The first 2 of 3 ferries to be deployed on the new “Brexit Buster” Rosslare (Ireland) - Dunkirk (Dunkerque, France) route of DFDS Seaways...December 13, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Ulysses Ferry out of Service Longer Than Expected
Irish Ferries owner ICG announced that its Ulysses ferry would be out of service for longer than it had been expected. The cruise ferry, which...July 10, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Irish Continental Group to Build the World's Largest Cruise Ferry
Irish Continental Group announced it had ordered the largest cruise ferry in the world by vehicle capacity. The US$200 million vessel will be able to...January 4, 2018
- show more news
Other IRISH FERRIES cruise ships
Epsilon ferry Wiki
The ferry was launched in 2011 and initially operated by the Italian shipowner CARTOUR (Caronte & Tourist/ferry company based in Sicily Italy). In 2013, the ship was chartered by IRISH FERRIES and deployed on the Ireland-Wales route Dublin-Holyhead. The service was regularly scheduled, with twice a day crossings (Tuesday through Saturday). The other service was on the Ireland-France route Dublin-Cherbourg (Saturday through Monday).
The ship is powered by two MAN marine diesel engines (model 9L48-60B, total power output 21,6 MW) and as propulsion has two controllable pitch propellers.