Hamnavoe ferry current position
Hamnavoe ferry current location is at North Sea (coordinates 58.96345 N / -3.29516 W) cruising en route to STROMNESS/SCRABSTER. The AIS position was reported 5 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Hamnavoe ferry
|Year built||2002 / Age: 19|
|Flag state||United Kingdom|
|Builder||Aker Finnyards (Rauma, Finland)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Scrabster-Stromness|
|Building cost||GBP 28 million|
|Owner||Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||112 m / 367 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||8780 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
|Christened by||Linda Harcus|
Hamnavoe ferry Review
Review of Hamnavoe ferry
MV Hamnavoe ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Scotland-based company Serco NORTHLINK FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 600 passengers and 95 cars (or 26 trucks/trailers). The vessel was launched in 2002 and currently operates on the mainland Scotland-Orkney ferry route Scrabster-Stromness (crossing time 1,2 hours).
Serco NorthLink Ferries serves the Scrabster-Stromness route only with MV Hamnavoe. The ship offers 6 crossings daily. Overnight cruises are offered only during summer - when cabin bookings are available from in Stromness for departures at 6.30 am (arrival in Scrabster at 8 am). Specifically for this ship, at the ferry terminals in Scrabster and Stromness were built piers and walkways with lifts for disabled passengers.
As cruiseferry, Hamnavoe has only 18 cabins (with 2 and 4 beds) plus 2 wheelchair-accessible handicap cabins (adapted for disabled passengers). All staterooms are on Deck 5, air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms (toilet/shower/washbasin, hairdryer, shaving point), wall-mounted bunk beds (lower and upper, all with safety rails), bedside cabinet, small mirrored vanity (writing table with a puffy), ceiling LED lights, tea-coffee-making facility. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, toiletries. The boat additionally offers reclining seats (aircraft-type seats in the reserved seating lounge) available for pre-booking. As a cheaper overnight cabin alternative, the ship also provides Sleeping Pods. Upon booking, passengers with small children can also reserve carrycots and baby cot beds - free of charge.
Check-in starts 165 min prior departure (Kirkwall), 120 min (Aberdeen, Lerwick) and 90 min (Stromness, Scrabster) and closes 30 min prior departure (all ports). All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Car drivers must check-in at least 1-hour prior departure.
B&B (Bed and Breakfast) deals start from GBP 40 per cabin (interior 2-bed cabin, off-season bookings). MV Hamnavoe B&B deals are offered with bookings for Stromness departures (6:30 am and 9 am), which crossings end in Scrabster, respectively, at 8 am and 10:30 am.
Passengers with "Premium Bed and Breakfast" cabin receive free access to Magnus Lounge. "Hamnavoe Bed and Breakfast" bookings receive evening Magnus Lounge access (prior departure).
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities (mainly on Deck 6), the Hamnavoe ship offers:
- Magnus Lounge is the ship's Snack Bar (Cafeteria / Patisserie) that is open year-round and sells sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurts, ice cream, hot/cold beverages. Magnus Lounge is open between 6 am and 8:30 pm. The lounge is at surcharge per person. Entry fees are for adults and children 5-15 yo (infants 0-4 yo enter for free). The entry price includes (complimentary) beverages (tea, coffee, soft drinks), light snacks, 2 per person) vouchers for beers or wine (by the glass). The lounge complimentary provides daily papers, magazines, power charge sockets (for phones, tablets, laptops).
- The Feast (restaurant/main dining room) is open all day, serves breakfast (early crossings) and dinner (evening crossings) and also offers a special kids menu with meals in a ferryboat-shaped box. All-inclusive breakfast for children is offered at GBP 5, Continental Breakfast for children costs GBP 3,50. Up to two children (aged under 16) receive free breakfast with every adult breakfast purchased.
- Midship Bar (live music performances, Longship Bar Lounge
- Video Games area is fitted with arcade machines and Xbox game consoles.
- Viking's Den is ship's kids room (indoor playground) equipped with a large TV (for watching cartoons), bean bags, craft tables with chairs, toys, games. Supervised activities are provided complimentary.
- (Deck 6) Reserved Seating Lounge is fitted with comfortable Pullman seats / Sleeping Pods (fully-reclining armchairs) and large TVs.
- (Deck 5) Onboard shopping options include several retail shops (boutiques and Mini Market) selling at discount prices alcohol (spirits, wines), tobaccos, premium-brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, fashion clothing and accessories, footwear, designer watches, handbags, sunglasses, personal hygiene products, travel essentials, confectionery, snacks, toys, books, magazines, comics, maps, knitwear, special occasion gifts and souvenirs.
- (Lobby Deck) ATM/cash machine is located next to the Reception (Information Desk on Deck 5).
- The fore-located Navigation Bridge (on Deck 7) is inaccessible to passengers.
- The top-deck is a Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
- The ship has public restrooms (no showers), disabled toilets and baby changing rooms, outdoor deck spaces, Infirmary (ship hospital, 24-hour nurse service), free WiFi Internet (in all cabins and public areas).
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In cases of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Pets on the ship
Traveling with pets/domestic animals are allowed on all Northlink Ferries ships. For dogs and cats are available dedicated onboard lodgings (kennels). Other animals (rabbits, birds, hamsters, etc) must be in passenger-owned carriers.
- Animals are not allowed in cabins, seating lounges, bar lounges, public rooms. The passenger access to the kennels during the crossings is not allowed.
- Pets may be left in vehicles (in the car deck) during the crossing, but can't be visited/exercised there.
- After boarding, car passengers with booked kennels must escort their animals immediately either to the kennel or to the animals-designated outside deck areas.
- Upon boarding, foot passengers using kennels must report immediately to the Reception staff, then they are escorted to the kennels via the aft portside door or the car deck's lift. Passengers are not allowed to embark / disembark the ship on foot through the stern (vehicle) door.
- Passengers are responsible for their animal's delivery and retrieval to/from the kennel.
- Visually impaired passengers travel with their guide dogs at no extra cost. Guide dogs are allowed in the cabin. Disabled passengers or those with reduced mobility can also be accompanied by assistance dogs.
MV Hamnavoe has 13 solid kennels in 2 sizes (width-depth-height) - 4 large (80x140x100 cm) and 9 small (50x70x60 cm). These units must be booked in advance. They are located in a dedicated heated and ventilated room with a water supply. Each kennel is floored with a rubber mat, so it is advisable passengers to provide blankets for the animals.
MV Hamnavoe ship's cargo capacity is 450 lanemeters allowing storage for 95 cars or 26 trucks/trailers. All vehicles are parked on one Car Deck (deck 3). As freight, NORTHLINK FERRIES ships can transport semi-trailers, lorries (with or without drivers), cars, motorcycles (only as freight, without drivers), caravans, camper vans (without drivers), cargo containers, mobile machinery, boats (on cradle), industrial products. Bicycles are free of charge on all NorthLink Ferries routes.
After the arrival at the ferry terminal, car passengers check-in and receive their boarding cards and instructions where to park their vehicles overnight. Stromness check-in is between 9:30 pm and 11:30 pm. NORTHLINK's staff load the vehicles in the morning. Passengers can pick up their car keys at the ship's Reception in the morning.
Follows a list of car deck-related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Serco NorthLink Ferries (founded in 2002, headquartered in Stromness, Orkney Island) is a Scottish passenger shipping company operating services between Shetland Islands and mainland Scotland. NorthLink Ferries current cruiseferry fleet includes the 2002-built ships Hamnavoe, Hjaltland and Hrossey.
Hamnavoe ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Hamnavoe ferryAdd Photo
Other NORTHLINK FERRIES cruise ships
Hamnavoe ferry Wiki
The vessel's construction officially started with the steel-cutting ceremony on November 27, 2001. The ship was launched (floated out from drydock) on in June 2002 and in service since April 23, 2003. The ferry was christened in Port Stromness on October 19, 2002, by Linda Harcus. She was chosen as godmother after winning the contest for naming the newbuild ferry "Hamnavoe" - the name of Stromness town's area during the Viking times.
The ship is powered by two MaK marine diesel engines (model 9M32C) with combined power output 8,7 MW. The propulsion system is based on two CPPs (controllable pitch propellers).
Hamnavoe ship's builder is Rauma Shipyard Finland.
NorthLink Ferries deals offer upon booking through company's website 10% discount (cars and passengers fares) for senior customers (aged 60+), full-time students and passengers with disabilities. Family, Friends and Concessionary discounts are also offered upon booking.
Hamnavoe ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review