Hrossey ferry current position
Hrossey ferry current location is at North Sea (coordinates 58.99958 N / -2.97381 W) cruising en route to KIRKWALL. The AIS position was reported 20 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Hrossey ferry
|Year built||2002 / Age: 19|
|Flag state||United Kingdom|
|Builder||Aker Finnyards (Rauma, Finland)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Aberdeen-(Kirkwall)-Lerwick|
|Building cost||GBP 35 million (EUR 39 million)|
|Owner||Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||125 m / 410 ft|
|Beam (width)||20 m / 66 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11720 gt|
|Decks with cabins||1|
Hrossey ferry Review
Review of Hrossey ferry
MV Hrossey ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Scotland-based company Serco NORTHLINK FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 600 passengers and 140 cars (or 40 trucks/trailers). The vessel was launched in 2002 and currently operates on the mainland Scotland-Orkney-Shetland ferry route Aberdeen-(Kirkwall)-Lerwick (crossing time 12,5 hours direct, 14,5 hours with Kirkwall).
Serco NorthLink Ferries serves the Aberdeen-Lerwick route with two cruise ships (Hrossey and Hjaltland) both operating overnight crossings. Every night, 1 ship leaves Aberdeen for Lerwick, while the other departs Lerwick for Aberdeen. One ship cruises directly, the other stops at Hatston Pier (Kirkwall, Orkney).
As cruiseferry, Hrossey has 117 cabins (Inside or Outside, max occupancy 4 passengers), all of which are on Deck 5. The ship additionally has 37 crew cabins, of which 10 for officers and 27 for staff/crew.
All staterooms are air-conditioned, soundproof, with en-suite bathrooms (toilet/shower/washbasin, hairdryer, shaving point), lower and upper bunk beds (wall-mounted, all with safety rails), bedside cabinet, small mirrored vanity (writing table with a puffy), ceiling LED lights. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, toiletries.
Outside cabins are with bay windows. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (cabins adapted for disabled passengers). The boat additionally offers reclining seats (aircraft-type seats in reserved seating lounge on Deck 6) available for pre-booking. As a cheaper overnight cabin alternative, the ship also provides Sleeping Pods. Upon booking, passengers with small children can also reserve carrycots and baby cot beds - free of charge.
Check-in starts 165 min prior departure (Kirkwall), 120 min (Aberdeen, Lerwick) and 90 min (Stromness, Scrabster) and closes 30 min prior departure (all ports). All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Car drivers must check-in at least 1-hour prior departure.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities (most of which located on Deck 6) the Hrossey ship offers:
- The Feast restaurant (main dining room with floor-ceiling windows) is open all day, serves breakfast and dinner and also offers a special kids menu with meals in ferryboat-shaped boxes. All-inclusive breakfast for children is offered at GBP 5, Continental Breakfast for children costs GBP 3,50. Up to two children (aged under 16) receive free breakfast with every adult breakfast purchased.
- Magnus Lounge is the ship's Snack Bar (Cafeteria / Patisserie) that is open year-round and sells sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurts, ice cream, hot/cold beverages. Magnus Lounge is open between 6-9 am (Aberdeen) and 6:30-9 am (Lerwick). The lounge is at surcharge per person. Entry fees are for adults and children 5-15 yo (infants 0-4 yo enter for free). The entry price includes complimentary continental breakfast on port arrival (Aberdeen or Lerwick). Here are offered complimentary beverages (tea, coffee, soft drinks), light snacks and 2 (pp) vouchers for beers or wine (by the glass). The lounge complimentary provides daily papers and magazines, power charge sockets (for mobile devices). Dinner service (meals cost extra) is also offered. Magnus Lounge closes at 1:30 am.
- Children's Room (Viking's Den) is a kids-dedicated indoor playground equipped with a large TV (for watching cartoons), craft tables with chairs, toys, games. Supervised activities are provided complimentary.
- Video Games Room is fitted with arcade machines, Xbox game consoles, football table.
- Midship Bar offers live music performances. Other entertainment venues include Longship Bar Lounge, and Cinema (indoor theater).
- Reserved Seating Lounge (on Deck 6) is fitted with comfortable Pullman seats / Sleeping Pods (fully-reclining armchairs) and large TVs.
- Onboard shopping options include several retail shops (boutiques and Mini Market) selling at discount prices alcohol (spirits, wines), tobaccos, premium-brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, fashion clothing and accessories, footwear, designer watches, handbags, sunglasses, personal hygiene products, travel essentials, confectionery, snacks, toys, books, magazines, comics, electronics and gadgets, special occasion gifts and souvenirs.
- (Lobby Deck) ATM/cash machine is located next to the Reception (Information Desk on Deck 5).
- The fore-located Navigation Bridge (on Deck 8) is inaccessible to passengers.
- The top-deck is a Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
- The vessel offers plenty of outdoor deck space, Infirmary (ship hospital, 24-hour nurse service), free WiFi Internet.
The cruise ship has public restrooms and showers, disabled toilets and showers, baby changing rooms. Common showers (midship on Deck 6) are unisex and accessed via shower tokens (cost GBP 3, towel costs GBP 2). Tokens can be purchased at ship's Reception, Shop and bars. Towels can be hired at The Reception and the Shop (GBP 5 returnable deposit). MV Hrossey has all 4 public showers - 1 family (midship Deck 6) and 3 combo (shower/WC) forward-starboard (between Sleeping Pod Lounge and Longship Bar). One of these 3 showers is for Sleeping pod passengers only.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In cases of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Pets on the ship
Traveling with pets/domestic animals are allowed on all Northlink Ferries ships. For dogs and cats are available dedicated onboard lodgings (kennels). Other animals (rabbits, birds, hamsters, etc) must be in passenger-owned carriers.
- Animals are not allowed in staterooms, seating lounges, bar lounges, public rooms. The passenger access to the kennels during the crossings is generally allowed but depends on weather conditions.
- During the crossing, animals can be nourished and exercised by their owners. Animals must be maintained by the owners, who are obliged to remove excrements or any other uncleannesses produced by the animal. On the ship, pets are allowed only on outer decks and you'll be escorted by a crew.
- It is highly advisable dogs to be leashed and muzzled at all times. Pets may be left in vehicles (in the car deck) during the crossing, but can't be exercised there.
- After boarding, car passengers with booked kennels must escort their animals immediately either to the kennel or to the animals-designated outside deck areas.
- Upon boarding, foot passengers using kennels must report immediately to Deck 5's Reception staff, then they are escorted to the kennels via the aft portside door or the car deck's lift. Passengers are not allowed to embark / disembark the ship on foot through the bow or stern (vehicle) doors.
- Passengers are responsible for their animal's delivery and retrieval to/from the kennel.
- Visually impaired passengers travel with their guide dogs at no extra cost. Guide dogs are allowed in the cabin. Disabled passengers or those with reduced mobility can also be accompanied by assistance dogs.
The ship Hrossey offers a total of 13 solid kennels in 2 sizes (width-depth-height) - 4 large units (80x140x100 cm) and 9 small units (50x70x60 cm). These units must be booked in advance. They are located in a dedicated heated and ventilated room with a water supply. Passengers must provide water and food during the crossing. Each kennel is floored with a rubber mat, so it is advisable passengers to provide blankets for the animals.
MV Hrossey ship's cargo capacity is 650 lanemeters allowing storage for 140 cars or 40 trucks/trailers. All vehicles are parked on Deck 2 (Lower Car Deck) and Deck 3 (Upper Car Deck. As freight, NORTHLINK FERRIES ships allow transportation of semi-trailers, lorries (with or without drivers), cars, motorcycles (only as freight, without drivers), caravans, camper vans (without drivers), cargo containers, mobile machinery, boats (on cradle), industrial products. Bicycles are free of charge on all NorthLink Ferries routes.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Serco NorthLink Ferries (founded in 2002, headquartered in Stromness, Orkney Island) is a Scottish passenger shipping company operating services between Shetland Islands and mainland Scotland. NorthLink Ferries current cruiseferry fleet includes the 2002-built ships Hrossey, Hjaltland and Hamnavoe.
Hrossey ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Hrossey ferryAdd Photo
Hrossey ferry ship related cruise news
A 25-year-old man who was found on the NorthLink ferry ship Hrossey with GBP 2,500 worth of cannabis was remanded in custody before sentencing later...October 6, 2017
- show more news
Other NORTHLINK FERRIES cruise ships
Hrossey ferry Wiki
The vessel is powered by two MaK marine diesel engines (model 6M43) with combined power output 10,8 MW. Ship's propulsion system includes two Rolls-Royce Kamewa CPPs (controllable pitch propellers) with diameter 4,1 m (13 ft), two propeller shafts and 2 rudders.
Hrossey ship's builder is Rauma Shipyard Finland.
NorthLink Ferries deals offer upon booking through company's website 10% discount (cars and passengers fares) for senior customers (aged 60+), full-time students and passengers with disabilities. Family, Friends and Concessionary discounts are also offered upon booking.
Hrossey ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review