MS Deutschland Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Deutschland
|Year built||1998 / Age : 20|
|Builder||(HDW) Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (Kiel, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 125 million|
|Operator||Phoenix Reisen GmbH|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||175 m / 574 ft|
|Beam (width)||22 m / 72 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||22496 gt|
|Passengers||520 - 636|
|Decks with cabins||7|
Review of MS Deutschland
MS Deutschland is owned by Absolute Nevada LLC (a Las Vegas-based shipping company) and currently operated under charter by Germany-based cruise line Phoenix Reisen.
History - construction & ownership
The 22,496-ton, 513-passenger cruise ship ms Deutschland is known for the fact that the German television show Das Traumschiff (The Dream Ship) is set aboard the ship. One more curious fact about this cruise vessel is that the German Olympic Committee was aboard the Deutschland (used as a hospitality ship) during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
During most of its service history, MS Deutschland cruise ship was owned and operated by Peter Deilmann Cruises (1998-2015). After shipowner’s bankruptcy in 2015, the vessel became property of the German investment company IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft GmbH. Following another insolvency proceedings, in March 2015 the vessel was sold to its current owner – the US company Absolute Nevada LLC (major shareholder is Donald Hoffman). This company also owns the small cruise ship Americana (formerly named Yorktown).
MS Deutschland was handed over to Absolute Nevada LLC on May 19, 2015. The ship was purchased from Beteiligungsgesellschaft for USD 21 million. During the period 1988-2015, the ship was operated by Peter Deilmann Reederei GmbH & Co, Germany (now defunct).
For one year (2015-2016) MS Deutschland served as a floating university for “Semester at Sea” program managed by ISE (Institute for Shipboard Education, Charlottesville Virginia, USA). After an extensive refurbishment, the vessel was renamed World Odyssey. In early November 2015, Phoenix Reisen revealed the arrangement of a five-year “time charter” with the shipowner, starting in 2016 Spring. MS Deutschland is scheduled for dry dock refit and refurbishment in April 2016. The upgrades include French balconies (added to cabins on decks 7 and 8), as well as hull repainting with the colors and company logo of Phoenix Reisen.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Deutschland itinerary program is based on cruises in Northern Europe, including to Iceland, Greenland, Norwegian Fjords, Norway Arctic (with sailings to Spitsbergen and North Cape), as well as to ports in the UK.
Currently, the liner operates on round-trips leaving from home-port Bremerhaven Germany. Departures are at 6 pm, arrivals back in port are at 9 am. Among the themed itineraries are 7-day Norwegian Fjords, Norway (Fjords and North Cape), Baltic Sea (Scandinavia and Russia), Norway (Fjords, North Cape and Spitzbergen), Norway and Iceland, Around Britain (British Isles), Iceland and Greenland, Canary Islands, Mini Cruise (Germany and Denmark).
From June 20 to August 10, 2015, MS Deutschland offered roundtrip cruises leaving from Germany (Kiel and Hamburg) being under charter by PLANTOURS Kreuzfahrten. The summer itineraries visited ports in Northern Europe exclusively (Norway, Greenland, Faroe and British islands).
There are 3 main categories of cabins on ms Deutschland: standard, comfort and classic, coming in both inside and outside versions. All suites are located on Deck 8 and guests who book suites have the opportunity to dine in Vierjahreszeiten. Deutschland features 36 single cabins, which is second in number only to Queen Elizabeth. Several cruises each year are promoted with no single supplement.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Deutschland passengers can choose from among 3 choices of venue for dinner. Every guest is assigned a seat for dinner in the ship's main dining room, Berlin Restaurant, which has windows on two sides, and is paneled in white painted wood. Fresh flowers are found on every table. Normally, there are two seatings for dinner. In addition to the main restaurant, there is the a la carte, dinner-only Vierjahreszeiten (Four Seasons). The menu changes nightly, and passengers make a reservation to dine here.
The Lido Gourmet is the informal buffet restaurant onboard ms Deutschland. The menu is different from the menu in the main dining room, giving another choice of food and venue. A formal, white-gloved afternoon tea is served in the forward facing Lido Terrasse. A late night snack is offered at 10:45 p.m. in Alten Fritz and Lili Marlene bars.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The decoration of ms Deutschland was made in the Art Deco style (used by many ocean liners and including traditional craft motifs with Machine Age imagery and materials). The main venue for entertainment onboard the ship is the Kaisersaal (Emperor's Ballroom) - a 2-story lounge with balcony seating. The ballroom is one of the most beautiful rooms afloat. Its ceiling is a painted mural of sky and clouds with a huge crystal chandelier. Seating is organized in small groupings around tables with parchment-shaded lamps.
MS Deutschland wiki
- Cabin grades number: 27
- Total number of cabins: 293 (1 cabin for disabled)
- Dining Rooms: Four Seasons (VIER JAHRESZEITEN), Berlin.
- Restaurants and food bars: Lido Buffet
- Lounges & Bars: library, cinema (conference room), Lili Marleen Salon, Imperial Hall (Kaisersaal / ballroom).
- Wellness Area, Spa, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, Sport Deck, shuffleboard, whirlpool, pool, Photo Gallery, Theater.
- MS Deutschland cruise ship was built in Kiel Germany. This is a privately owned vessel (asset of Absolute Nevada LLC), currently operated under time charter by Phoenix Reisen GmbH (major German travel agency and tour operator company). Until 2015, the vessel was owned by the company Reederei Peter Deilmann GmbH. After Peter Deilmann company's bankruptcy, it was sold to the US investment company Absolute Nevada LLC.
- In 2012, the vessel was used as hospitality ship for DOSB (Deutscher Olympischer Sportbund, German Olympic Committee) during "2012 Summer Olympics" (aka London 2012).
- Under the new ownership, in May 2015, the ship’s flag state (registry) was changed from Germany (Neustadt in Holstein) to Bahamas (Nassau). Under the new flag, the vessel was chartered for 10 months to Semester at Sea (an US-based organization / abroad study program) operating under the name “MV World Odyssey”.
- During winter 2015-2016, under the name "World Odyssey", the chartered liner was carrying around 600 students on educational voyages around the world.
- In the period 1999-2015, the ship was used for filming the series of the ZDF’s TV show “Das Traumschiff” (translated as “The Dream Ship”). The show was similar to ABC’s TV series “The Love Boat” (1977-1987). Debuting in 1981, all series featured a cruise ship traveling around the world, and was among Germany’s most-watched TV shows.
- In November 2015, Phoenix Reisen announced it will charter the ship for the summers of 2016 and 2017. During the vessel's drydock refurbishment, staterooms on decks 7 and 8 were upgraded with French balconies.
- In January 2018, Phoenix Reisen announced extension of the Deutschland ship charter until 2025, right after the vessel was sold by Absolute Nevada LLC (USA) to Delos Cruise. The time charter agreement with Phoenix Reisen (chartering the vessel for the summer) was extended at the time of the purchase. For the winter, it is chartered by Semester at Sea (study abroad program).
- German is the only language that is officially used on board. This is why most Phoenix Reisen cruise passengers are from German speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland). There is personnel speaking English, but no services in English are provided.
MS Deutschland - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS DeutschlandAdd Photo
Other Phoenix Reisen cruise ships
MS Deutschland Itineraries
The below listed MS Deutschland cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Phoenix Reisen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jul 18||7 days, round-trip Rund um Danemark||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Jul 25||18 days, round-trip Grosse Kreuzfahrt Island - Norwegen||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Aug 12||22 days, round-trip Abenteuer Island und Gronland||Bremerhaven|
|2019 May 11||19 days, round-trip Westeuropas Kustenhighlights & Hamburger Hafenfest||Hamburg|
|2019 May 30||9 days, round-trip Fjordnorwegen fur Feinschmecker||Hamburg|
|2019 Jun 08||8 days, round-trip Heimatliebe und Sudskandinavien||Hamburg||$999|
|2019 Jun 16||13 days, one-way from Hamburg to Bremerhaven||Hamburg|
|2019 Jun 29||10 days, round-trip Great Britain at its best||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jul 09||13 days, round-trip Ostsee-Perlen mit Fjord- & Scharenfahrt||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jul 22||13 days, round-trip Grosse Klassik-Reise ins bezaubernde Baltikum||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Aug 04||22 days, round-trip Auf grosser Fahrt nach Gronland||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Aug 26||8 days, round-trip Heimatliebe und Sudskandinavien||Bremerhaven||$999|