Nissos Mykonos ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Nissos Mykonos ferry
|Year built||2005 / Age : 13|
|Builder||Elefsis Shipbuilding (Eleusis, Greece)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Piraeus-Syros-Mykonos-Ikaria-Samos|
|Speed||28 kn / 52 kph / 32 mph|
|Length (LOA)||141 m / 463 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||7882 gt|
Review of Nissos Mykonos ferry
MV Nissos Mykonos ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Greece-based company HELLENIC SEAWAYS. The ship has max capacity of 1915 passengers and 418 cars. The vessel was launched in 2005 and currently operates on the Greece to Greek Islands ferry route Piraeus-Syros-Mykonos-Ikaria-Samos (crossing time 9 hours).
As cruiseferry, Nissos Mykonos has 31 cabins, all of which are air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms and a total of 104 berths. The cabins can sleep up to 4 passengers, and are both inside (2- and 4 bunk beds) and outside (1 double bed). Hellenic Seaways also offers ECONOMY and VIP numbered seats.
The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (for disabled passengers). There are also passenger lifts, ramps and specially designed WCs.
The ship has dedicated "Pet Cabins" with linoleum flooring. For reasons of hygiene, dogs are not allowed in other indoor areas of the ship (restaurants, bars, lounges). Pets can travel only in cabins or in special cages. Dogs always must be leashed and muzzled, and under passenger's personal supervision.
Ferry's Reserved Seating Lounge is equipped with large TV and reclining Pullman seats (comfortable, fully reclining leather armchairs). Reserved seats are available for pre-booking. These deals are inclusive of complimentary beverages (tea, coffee, soft drinks). The Lobby Bar Lounge is furnished with comfortable leather sofas and chairs and round tables.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Nissos Mykonos ship offers:
- Accommodation options include passenger cabins, Reserved Lounge seats (leather recliners), Lobby Bar seating. All lounges are fitted with large TVs.
- Dining options include Self-Service Buffet Restaurant (full menu, single courses, kids-vegetarian-healthy meals, traditional local dishes), Bar-Cafeteria (patisserie - pastries, cakes, drinks, snacks, sandwiches), Outdoor Bar (grill, cocktails, beers, sundeck barbecues), chocolate and ice-cream parlour.
- BARS: Rainbow bar, Aegean bar, Atrium bar lounge (sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yoghurt, ice cream, hot / cold drinks, flat TVs)
- LOUNGES: Aegean lounge, Central Lounge, Panorama Lounge, Privillege Lounge, Rainbow Lounge
- Children's Room (video games)
- Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception)
- Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered.
- Luggage Compartments - luggage lockers are available in the ship's passenger lounge and are accessible throughout the voyage.
- Solarium (sundeck sunbathing area)
- Pet Cages (upon booking, pet cage's type must be indicated). For pet owners, all large Hellenic Seaways ships offer 2 types of cages - small cage (max height 50-75 cm / pets less than 30 kg) and large cage (max height 70-90 cm / pets over 30 kg). Passengers can also bring their own pet carriers. Cage pricing is fixed (per voyage) and varries depending on ferry route. Valid health cards for pets are required. Under no circumstances pets are allowed out of their cages / carriers during the crossing. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
All Hellenic Seaways ships are equipped with CCTV cameras with image recording. Smoking anywhere inside the ships is not permitted. All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
All ferried vehicles must have documentation and valid insurance. Having car's technical data sheet makes boarding checks easier. Upon booking, vehicle's model, length and height must be specified. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Hellenic Seaways (founded 2005, headquartered in Piraeus Greece, owned by MINOAN LINES) is a Greek shipping company operating passenger and freight ferry services in Adriatic and Aegean seas (eastern Mediterranean). Hellenic Seaways current fleet includes conventional and high-speed boats, with largest ships Ariadne, Nissos Mykonos, Nissos Rodos, Nissos Samos.
Nissos Mykonos ferry wiki
- Ship's name is translated as "Mykonos Island'" in Greek, which is one of Greece's Cyclades Islands in Aegean Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). Sistership of Nissos Mykonos is Nissos Chios (launched 2007).
- The liner is powered by two WARTSILA marine diesel engines (model 12V38, total power output 23,3 MW) and as propulsion has two controllable pitch propellers.