Blue Horizon ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Blue Horizon ferry
|Year built||1987 / Age : 33|
|Builder||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (Nagasaki, Japan)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Piraeus-Heraklion Crete|
|Owner||Strintzis Lines Shipping|
|Operator||BLUE STAR FERRIES|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||187 m / 614 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||27320 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||Varuna, Superferry Hellas|
Current position of Blue Horizon ferry
Review of Blue Horizon ferry
MS Blue Horizon ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Greece-based company BLUE STAR FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 1488 passengers and 780 cars. The vessel was launched in 1987 and currently operates on the Greece-Crete ferry route Piraeus-Heraklion (crossing time 9 hours).
As cruise ferry, Blue Horizon has 164 cabins with a total of 530 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The cabins can sleep up to 4 passengers, and are both inside and outside (with large windows). Each stateroom is fitted with flat TV, radio, phone, good sound insulation, choice of low and high lighting (bed and central).
- The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). Designed cabins for passengers with special needs are available for booking only in advance and via phone (+30-210-8919800).
- The ferry offers pet-friendly cabins, but these are not available for online booking. Pet cabins are a limited number, so reservation in advance is required. If these are fully booked, the ship also has a small number of kennels (booths for dogs). Pets are not allowed in cabins (other than in "A4 Pets" rooms), as well as in all indoor areas, bars, restaurants, lounges. Dogs can be walked on open decks but must be leashed and muzzled.
Lounge seats as categories are Super Economy, Special Economy, and Economy. Cabins are graded in the following categories:
- (outside) LUX single (1-bed), LUX double (double bed), A1 (single), A2 (2-bed), A3 (3-bed / 2 lower + 1 bunk), A4 (4-bed / 2 lower + 2 bunk), A4 Pets (4-bed, with linoleum flooring)
- (inside) AB1, AB2, AB3, AB4
- All passenger cabins are located on decks 8 and 9.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Blue Horizon ship offers:
- On Deck 7 are located passenger cabins, 2 restaurants (buffet and a la carte priced), seating lounge (airline type reclining seats), Boutique, Reception, Cafe, Bars.
- On Deck 8 are located passenger cabins, Bar, swimming pool, muster stations.
- On Deck 9 are officers quarters and passenger cabins.
- On Deck 10 is the Navigation Bridge (Wheel House).
- GOODY's (self-service restaurant, hot and cold meals, children's menus)
- FLOCAFE / Open Deck Bar (sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot/cold drinks, flat TVs)
- Gift Shops / Boutiques (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- Sickbay (Telemedical System)
- Midship-forward on its top deck (after the Navigation Bridge) the ship has a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- Wi-Fi Internet service (at fee), ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- The ship has designated luggage storage areas. Luggage up to 50 kg (or 1m3) is free of charge. Luggage must not contain valuables. Such items can be handed over to Chief Purser (Reception) for safe-keeping.
All Blue Star cruise ships are equipped with CCTV cameras with image recording. Wi-Fi and Internet are available at extra cost. Mobile phone chargers and Ipad rentals are also offered. All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Smoking anywhere inside the ships (all indoor public areas and in all cabins) is not permitted. Smoking is allowed only outdoors, at designated areas on open decks.
Blue Star ferry deals
- Bicycles are ferried free of charge.
- On all Greek Islands routes, the company offers 20% "Special Economy" ticket discount, EUR 20 pp "Super Economy" ticket discount, 15-20% cabin discount (all staterooms) and 20-30-50% ticket discount for SeaSmiles (loyalty program) members. All these special offers are for Piraeus departures only.
- On Greece to Crete routes (Piraeus to Heraklion), the company offers discounted cabin plus car packages. These packages are valid for one-way crossings only and booking a full cabin (grades A2, A3, A4, AB2, AB3, AB4). A 20% return ticket discount is also offered with each package.
All-year-round ticket discounts are offered for kids ages 5-10 yo (50%), kids ages 0-5 yo (travel free in Economy Class seat or at 50% / half price in cabin), students (50% for ISIC cardholders), Greek Domestic combined with Greece-Italy (30%), roundtrip Piraeus-Paros (20%, summer evening departures), ferry plus train travel (50% off seat tickets, 25% off cabin tickets - valid for FIP members / currently active personnel and their families, excepting July and August and LUX cabins).
Pets on the ship
The cruiseferry provides Pet Cages (upon booking, pet cage's type must be indicated). For pet owners, all large Blue Star cruise ships offer 2 types of cages - small cage (max height 50-75 cm/pets less than 30 kg) and large cage (max height 70-90 cm/pets over 30 kg). Passengers can also bring their own pet carriers.
Cage pricing is fixed (per voyage) and varies depending on the ferry route. Valid health cards for pets are required. Under no circumstances, pets are allowed out of their cages/carriers during the crossing.
During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled. Passengers with pets always disembark last.
Cars are stored on garage decks 2, 3 and 5. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship-charterer Blue Star Ferries (founded in 2000, headquartered in Athens Greece, part of Attica Group) offers ferry services from mainland Greece to the Aegean Islands. It is the largest ferry company in Greece (sister-company is Superfast Ferries) and serves more than 20 island destinations. Blue Star Ferries current fleet includes the ships Blue Galaxy, Blue Horizon, Blue Star 1, Blue Star 2, Blue Star Delos, Blue Star Naxos, Blue Star Paros, Blue Star Patmos, Blue Star Chios, Blue Star Mykonos.
Blue Horizon ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Blue Horizon ferryAdd Photo
Blue Horizon ferry ship related cruise news
Other BLUE STAR FERRIES cruise ships
Blue Horizon ferry Wiki
MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) also built at its Nagasaki shipyard the cruise ferry Elyros (1998, ANEK LINES) and the large cruise linersAIDAperla (2017), AIDAprima (2016), Diamond Princess (2004), Sapphire Princess (2004), Asuka 2 (1990).
Blue Horizon ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review