MS Titanic 2 cruise ship was among world's most-anticipated newbuild vessels, fascinating and inspiring millions worldwide. The Titanic replica is a stunning shipbuilding project to revive the ocean liner RMS Titanic. The idea for a newbuild liner belongs to one of Australia's richest people - the mining magnate Clive Palmer. Next links jump down directly to China's Titanic hotel and our concise RMS Titanic review featuring the provocative Titanic conspiracy video. You'll be surprised how much you don't know about world's most tragic and best-known cruise ship disaster!
On April 30, 2012, on a special press conference, Palmer astonished and shocked the world announcing his intention to build a full-scale replica of RMS Titanic. The new 55,800-GT ton "TMS itanic 2" will have 9 decks, 840 passenger staterooms and max capacity 2435 passengers plus 900 staff and crew.
The maiden voyage of Titanic II is planned to leave not from Southampton to New York (like the original liner), but from Jiangsu China (north of Shanghai) to Dubai UAE. The new liner is intended to have modern passenger evacuation systems, digital navigation, latest radar systems and satellite controls, Heli Deck, top-deck gardens. Some relatives of passengers who died on RMS Titanic condemned the project to build a replica ship as insensitive. Blue Star Line was flooded with inquiries from potential customers, some offering up to GBP 640,000 to book Titanic 2's inaugural cruise. The replica liner is expected to enter service in 2022.
Clive Palmer's ship Titanic II
Creator of the Titanic 2 shipbuilding project is Clive Frederick Palmer (born March 26, 1954) - an Australian businessman, managing iron ore, nickel and coal holdings. Forbes Magazine estimated his wealth in January 2013 at USD 895 million.
In April 2012, Clive Palmer signed a MoU (memorandum of understanding) with one of the top ship-building companies in the world the Chinese state owned CSC Jinling to construct a replica of RMS Titanic, the Titanic II ship.
Apart from his "Titanic 2" project, Palmer is also popular for another stunning plan to create a simulate Jurassic Park by over 100 animatronic dinosaurs in his resort in Coolum. In 2013 he formed the political party Palmer United , to compete for the federal election, in which he was a candidate for the Division of Fairfax in Queensland and won it by 36 votes.
The new cruise liner is planned to be 100% fireproof and with ice-strengthened hull (ice-class PC6) to withstand icebergs and any weather extremes. Maritime industry's most advanced navigation equipment and all safety standards will be implemented.
"Titanic 2 Ship" project was initially joined by 3 big companies - Deltamarin (marine design, engineering, construction support), Tillberg Design Sweden (cruise ship design, hotel and restaurant interiors) and Lloyd's Register Group Ltd (marine and shipping services, vessel classification society). Titanic replica project was supported by an advisory board. The ship model was tested in Germany.
- In the period 2015-2018, "Titanic 2" project was suspended because Olive Palmer was in dispute with China's state--owned CITIC Group Corporation Ltd over the payment of royalties (hundreds of millions of dollars) to Palmer-owned companies.
- On October 16, 2018, Clive Palmer (chairman of the Paris-based "Blue Star Line" cruise company) appointed his nephew Clive Mensink (former director of Queensland Nickel, Townsville Australia) as project's director and company's CEO, responsible for staff recruitment, crew training and contractor negotiations. Company's headquarter office (in Paris France) was scheduled for opening in March 2019.
- On October 30, 2018, as "Global Project Director" ("Titanic II") was announced Ms Baljeet Singh - lawyer, former Blue Star Line employee (as project director) in the period 2012-2015. Her job is to organize and attend planning and development meetings worldwide, liaising with USCG and US Gov agencies, overseeing cruise company's European Director. Previously, she has worked for Clive Palmer as his mining company's Legal Director.
Titanic 2 ship construction and technical details
The new Titanic 2 ship was expected to be launched in 2018, 106 years after the original ship sank in the North Atlantic Ocean. The original plans of Blue Star were to build the replica of Titanic in April 2012 in oder to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the sinking. The project has been later pushed back to 2016, and then to 2018. However, in September 2018, Clive Palmer, confirmed in London that work had recommenced to rebuild the cruise liner that would be nearly identical to the most popular ship of all times, RMS Titanic.
The latest launch date is 2022.
The new ship will be 833 feet (254 m) long, just three inches longer than the original and 13,9 feet (4,2 m) wider in order to increase stability.
Ship's external look will be a copy of her namesake but still it will be a 21-st century vessel with all the equipment and safety standards. Coal-fired boilers and steam engines will be replaced by diesel drivers. New Titanic 2 ship will be powered by four Warstila 46F diesel generating sets, two 12 cylinder 12V46F engines each producing 14,400 KW and two eight cylinder producing 9,600 KW each. Three azimuth thrusters of the new Titanic 2 ship will do the propulsion and also the maneuvering as the replica rudder will be only a decoration.
The cruise ship has a 2-sectioned Navigation Bridge - forward (designed as an original replica) and aft (high technology wheelhouse). Marconi Room (communication facility on RMS Titanic) will be replicated, but not functional.
A new extra “Safety deck” between original decks D and C is projected for 18 lifeboats and the safety chutes. It was not decided whether there will be garage or cars on-deck storage on board. New Titanic 2 ship will have all the safety certificates, including of course SOLAS. The building cost of the new liner was estimated to be around GBP 400 million.
Despite the planned maiden voyage in 2016 then in 2018, ship construction didn't start. Blue Star Line's website was closed in 2018 and Clive Palmer abandoned its trademark. In 2017, Palmer was reported to be in ill health, suffering from memory lapses.
Just as the original liner, Titanic 2 is planned to heave 3 passenger classes, with the option guests to sleep 6 nights in same-class cabin or 2 nights in each class. Surprisingly, 3rd class is attracting attention globally, being one of the most searched. Bathrooms are designed to be common (shared). There was an idea the ship to provide costumes (typical for each class cabins) complimentary to all passengers.
Staterooms as amenities and decorations are planned to be very similar to those of RMS Titanic. The custom-made premium furniture will be made of high-quality woods (mahogany, walnut, sycamore, satinwood). First-Class cabins feature oak panelling. Second-Class cabins are with 2 beds (sofabed and fold-away). All staterooms have wardrobe, dresser, seating area, steward call buttons.
New lower deck cabins are designed with modern amenities, but all other staterooms and all public premises (deck D and above) are precise recreation of the original ship.
A new “Safety Deck” is planned to house ship's Casino, Retail Shops, Hospital (Infirmary) and the 400-seat Theater (main show lounge). The company V-Ships Leisure is contracted to provide all onboard entertainment. Other planned facilities include 3 dining rooms (including First-Class Dining Saloon colored in white), a la carte restaurant, Cafe Parisien (patisserie), promenade deck (outdoor walking area encircling the ship), glass-dome covered Sun Deck (sunbathing area with 2 swimming pools, jacuzzis, changing cubicles, showers), Spa complex, Turkish bath, gymnasium, squash court, smoking lounge (blue and red coloured), several bars.
RMS Titanic's lounges and public spaces will be recreated with regard to smallest details, including timber cladded walls, custom-made furniture, original artworks, light fittings, crystal chandeliers.
Onboard dining menus were developed by 68 chefs. Clive Palmer hosted gala events in NYC, London and Macau, offering VIP guests the 11-course dinner to be available at the new Titanic.
The list of those meals included:
- Course 1: Oysters
- Course 2: Consommé Olga
- Course 3: Scottish Balik Salmon w Mousseline Sauce, Cucumber
- Course 4: Sauté of Chicken Lyonnaise, Vegetable Marrow Farcie, Parmentier Potatoes
- Course 5: Aberdeen Angus Filet Mignons Lili
- Course 6: Eye of Lamb Loin, Mint Sauce & Green Peas, Boiled New Potatoes
- Course 7: Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce, Boiled Rice
- Course 8: Punch Romaine
- Course 9: Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette – Pate De Foie Gras
- Course 10: Waldorf Pudding, French Ice Cream, Peaches en Chartreuse Jelly, Chocolate & Vanilla Éclair
- Course 11: English Stilton & Port Wine, Hors D' Oeuvre Varies.
RMS Titanic inspired the Chinese company "Qixing Energy Investment Group" to build the famous ocean liner as a full-scale hotel ship replica. The order was placed with Wuchang Shipbuilding Industry Group.
The Chinese group manages energy factories. It announced the ship hotel project as a theme park - officially called "Romandisea Seven Star International Cultural Tourism Resort". The resort park is sized 6,7 km2 (2,6 ml2). It is located in Da Ying county (Sichuan Province, China) and include attractions like spa resort (with Turkish baths), artificial beach, amusement park (with medieval castle replicas, Venetian church replica, clock tower, large swimming pool). Next image shows resort's amusement park.
However, resot's main attraction is the Titanic ship-hotel in life-size. The project's cost was nearly CNY 1 billion (USD 165 million / GBP 105 million). The construction was scheduled to start in 2014 and the opening was initially set for 2016.
The full-size replica ship is located over 1200 km (745 ml) from the sea (approx 114 km / 70 ml from Chengdu). It has length 269 m (882 ft) and width 28 m (92 ft). It also has original features - like theater, ballroom, swimming pool, staterooms.
- The hotel is floating (docked at Qi River / moored permanently within a reservoir). China's Titanic replica has capacity for 1500 guests per day.
- Qixing revealed the plan to rebuild the luxury ocean liner in January 2014. Tickets cost from CNY 3000 (GBP 350) per cabin per night. Suites cost from CNY 100,000 Yuan (GBP 11,580). The onboard entertainment includes Vegas-style show productions, ballroom dancing, pool deck parties, food menus with items from the original liner.
- Titanic replica ship-hotel was designed in 2 years, with designer and technician services provided by USA and UK companies using the blueprints of RMS Olympic.
- The groundbreaking ceremony was held in march 2015. The shipbuilder started manufacturing parts for the liner in May 2015. The Chinese Titanic had its keel-laying ceremony held on November 29, 2016. The event was attended by Lord Peter Mandelson (British politician). The vessel was re-scheduled for completion in 2018.
- On-site assembly was planned for May 2015, but started in late-November 2016.
- In December 2017, hull's construction at the assembly site was completed.
- In September 2017, ship's construction was half complete, with built 6 out of all 9 decks.
- In January 2018 was announced that due to financial problems (increasing steel prices), the project is pushed back until 2019.
Around 50,000 tons of steel were used for its construction – more than the steel used for building an aircraft carrier. The replica ship includes many original features (Atrium's grand staircase, dining rooms, passenger cabins, swimming pool, boiler room 1, engine room, engine replica, mock-up steam engine) plus some new features (ballroom, cinema / theatre lounge). Originally was planned an audiovisual technology at ship's theater to simulate the iceberg collision that resulted in sinking, but the idea was later scrapped. Ship's disaster simulator allows "passengers" to feel the shipwreck atmosphere in 6D.
The maiden voyage of RMS Titanic started on April 10, 1912 at noon. The intended distance of the journey from England was approx 5350 km. Unfortunately, the liner didn't finish its first and only voyage. On April 14, after receiving 6 warnings for floating sea ice, the crew sighted an iceberg. Traveling near max speed and unable to turn quickly enough, at 23:40 (ship time) Titanic struck the iceberg. In less than 10 seconds the hull was ripped opened (below waterline) for a length of 91 m. Titanic sank 2 hours and 40 min later (at 2:20 ship time / 5:18 GMT) on April 15, 1912.
The tragic story of the Titanic ship is described in movies due to the fact that it combines money, ambition, love, courage and loss. The story was dramatized a few times. The first successful movie came in 1958, “A Night to Remember” (IMBD). It was an adaptation of Walter Lord’s book of the same name, published in 1955 and it was based on the stories of sixty-three survivors from the Titanic disaster. Without any doubt, the best movie, based on the Titanic story, was made by James Cameron. The movie “Titanic” (IMBD) came in 1997. The story focuses on the love between two fictional characters from different social classes: Rose DeWitt Bukater (Kate Winslet) and Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio).
The exact number of passengers and casualties is still a matter of discussion. Some (mainly business magnates) cancelled their trip just before ship's departure. Some travelled under false names and were added twice in the casualties list. Some died soon after the disaster due to injuries, hypothermia and other illnesses. Officially, Titanic left Ireland with 2224 passengers. About 1514 of them died and 710 were saved.
Exhibitions of different objects from the liner can be seen in museums such as Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia, National Maritime Museum in Greenwich and the SeaCity Museum in Southampton. Next YouTube video is dedicated on RMS Titanic's maiden (and last) voyage.
Next you can watch the intriguing and most provocative "Titanic Conspiracy Documentary" (2012 movie) with facts that contradict the official theory about the liner's "accidental" sinking.
Next video is the NatGeo documentary about the onboard fire.