Aranui 5 Review and Specifications
Specifications of Aranui 5
|Year built||2015 / Age : 2|
|Builder||Huanghai Shipbuilding Co (Weihai, Shandong China)|
|Class||cargo cruise ship|
|Owner||CPTM (Compagnie Polynesienne de Transport Maritime)|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||126 m / 413 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||7500 gt|
|Passengers||206 - 256|
|Decks with cabins||8|
Review of Aranui 5
MV Aranui 5 is a passenger/cargo ship which went into service on December 12, 2015 between Tahiti and Marquesas Islands. With Papeete, French Polynesia being its homeport, Aranui 5 replaced Aranui 3 that went into service in 2003. Aranui 5, just like its predecessor, is registered as a passenger vessel under the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), for international operation.
The shipowner CPTM is a 3rd generation maritime shipping company that operates in French Polynesia exclusively. Established in 1954 by the Wong family (Tahiti), initially the company was named "Wing Man Hing". its cargo vessels serve French Polynesia for over 6 decades. Originally, the company serviced Tuamotus and Gambiers Archipelagos, conducting freight shipping between the islands and Tahiti.
In 2016, the shipowner CPTM officially replaced the old Aranui 3 with the new Aranui 5. There are only two Aranui ships. The names "Aranui 2" and "Aranui 4" were not used due to superstitious reasons. The new Aranui ship is taller and slightly wider. It has 2 additional decks that add more cruise staterooms and public spaces. The length of both ships is similar - approx 125 m (410 ft). Their smaller size allows safe navigation in the small harbors of the South Pacific islands.
Aranui 5 was built in China, and on November 9, 2015 the vessel arrived in its homeport Papeete Tahiti. Apart from supplying cargo to the 6 ports in Marquesas Islands, this cargo cruise ship also operates a passenger shipping and tourist service as part of a 14-day roundtrip Papeete itinerary. Aranui 5 also stops at the islands of Takapoto and Rangiroa in Tuamotus before returning on day 13 to Bora Bora Island.
Aranui 5 cruise itinerary
Next is shown Aranui 5's 14-day roundtrip Tahiti cruise itinerary map.
Follows the list of ports of call (scheduled day visits) on the ship's 14-day roundtrip cruise itinerary.
- DAY 1 - embarkation in port Papeete at around 10 am. Activities include "Welcome Aboard" party with fruit punch and Marquesan dance show by the swimming pool.
- DAY 2 - Takapoto Atoll (Tuamotus Islands) - activities include swimming, lagoon snorkelling, scuba diving.
- DAY 3 - At Sea
- DAY 4 - Nuku Hiva Island. Activities include stops in ports Taiohae, Hatiheu, and Taiohae, cathedral tour, Kamuihei (archaeological site, sacred dance performance), ahore lunch at Yvonne’s Restaurant (traditional dish is Hima’a / pig cooked in underground oven), meae (sacred ritual sites, sacred dance performance), paepae (huge stone boulders), optional hiking (trail to Paeke site).
- DAY 5 - Ua Pou Island (Hakahau-Hakahetau). Activities include stop in port Hakahau, the ship's crew unloads here supplies (including cement and sugar) and loads copra (dried coconut meat), Hakahau town exploration (handicrafts center, stone carvings shopping, church visit, ashore lunch at Rosalie’s Restaurant (special dishes are bread fruit, island staple, curried goat, and the poisson cru / raw fish marinated in lime and coconut milk, also fei / red bananas, and fruit poe). Dining includes traditional Bird Dance performance.
- DAY 6 - Tahuata Island, and Hiva Oa Island. Activities include stop in port Vaitahu (Tahuata), visiting handcrafts center (bone carvings, shell carvings), stop in port Atuona (Hiva Oa), visiting Paul Gauguin burial site, ashore lunch at Hoa Nui Restaurant, visiting the “House of Pleasure” and museum, optional hiking tour.
- DAY 7 - Fatu Hiva Island. Activities include stops in ports Omoa and Hanavave, demonstration (local women make tapa), demonstration (kumuhei making / herbal bundles used by local women as perfume), visiting arts-crafts center (tapa, carvings, monoi coconut oil), optional hiking (16 km / 10 ml from Omoa to Hanavave), ashore lunch.
- DAY 8 - Hiva Oa Island. Activities include stops in ports Puamau and Hanaiapa, guided tour visiting Meae Ipona (archaeological site) and Puamau ruins.
- DAY 9 - Ua Huka Island. Activities include stops in ports Vaipaee, Hane, and Hokatu, optional (4x4 or horseback riding) tour, visiting a museum, gardens, ashore lunch, visiting woodcarving workshops black and white coconuts carvings), onboard "Polynesian Night" (themed events, traditional dancing and chanting lessons, buffet dinner on pool deck, themed entertainment).
- DAY 10 - Nuku Hiva Island. Activities include morning stop in port Taiohae (arts-afts center), afternoom stop in Hakahau (Marquesan souvenirs shopping).
- DAY 11 - At Sea
- DAY 12 - Rangiroa Atoll. Activities include lagoon swimming-snorkeling-scuba diving, visiting pearl (pearl and shell jewelry shopping).
- DAY 13 - Bora Bora Island ( Society Islands). Activities include white-sand beach, snorkeling, ashore picnic lunch (with traditional Tahitian dishes), optional excursions (scuba diving, outrigger boat tour, swimming with sharks and manta rays, helicopter tour over Bora Bora Lagoon).
- DAY 14 - disembarkation in port Papeete at around 9:30 am.
- Aranui 5 cruise prices for the 14-day itinerary start from EUR 2,530 (class C cabin / no kids under 16 years) and from EUR 3,890 (standard double cabin, double occupancy rates). Aranui deals are inclusive of all taxes, all meals, wine (during onboard meals), planned shore excursions, onboard enrichment (expert lecturers / guides).
Aranui 5 related cruise news
One of the joys of cruise vacations onboard Aranui 5, is the opportunity to immerse in Polynesian culture as the cruise ship docks at some of the...October 7, 2016
The regional representative in Australia & New Zealand for small cruise line Aranui Cruises, Laurent Wong, announced that the 2017 itinerary...April 10, 2016
The brand new Aranui 5 passenger-freighter vessel arrived to her home port of Papeete, Tahiti. Aranui 5 is scheduled for an inaugural...November 20, 2015
- show more news