Former name: Viking Rosella
Anemos ferry last position
Anemos ferry last location was at Aegean Sea (coordinates 37.96066 N / 23.56066 E) cruising en route to Piraeus-Athens. The AIS position was reported 1 month ago.Current Position
Specifications of Anemos ferry
|Year of build||1980 / Age: 43|
|Builder||Wartsila Marine Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Engines (power)||Wartsila (17.7 MW / 23736 hp)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 km/h / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||136 m / 446 ft|
|Beam (width)||24 m / 79 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||16880 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Rigel III (Viking Turella)|
|Former names||Viking Rosella|
|Owner||Aegean Sealines Maritime Co|
|Operator||Aegean Speed Lines (Greece)|
Anemos ferry Review
Review of Anemos ferry
MS Anemos ferry (fka Viking Rosella) is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Greece-based company Aegean Speed Lines. The ship has a max capacity of 1530 passengers and 340 cars. The vessel was launched in 1980 and its ferry route for Aegean Speed Lines is to be announced soon.
As cruise ferry, Viking Rosella/Anemos has 1184 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, washbasin), TV (satellite reception), radio, phone, mirrored writing table with stool. Seaside Large cabins are with double bed and separate living room. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers and people with reduced mobility). Allergy Cabins are with furniture made of non-allergic materials.
Cabins can't be shared - if 2 passengers are booked in a 4-bed cabin, they can't share the remaining 2 free beds with other travelers.
Staff and crew cabins are located on decks 6, 7 and 8. Passenger cabins are graded in the following categories:
- (Deck 4) LX2 (Seaside Large), A2 (Seaside Standard), B2 (Inside Standard), H2R (Inside Handicap Allergy)
- Family cabins are fitted with 6 beds (2 plus 4).
- Standard cabin door width is 64 cm. Suite and handicap cabin's door width is 89 cm.
- On overnight crossings, for Suite cabins (excluding Mini-Suites) Breakfast is included in the ferry ticket price. Breakfast (included for both adults and children) can be delivered via room service (in-cabin dining) or at the onboard restaurants. For en-suite dining must be filled out a room service order form and submitted to the Reception (info desk) the evening before. For restaurant dining, Suite passengers must show their cabin key in the venue.
Seaside (oceanview) cabins are with large windows, All cabins are non-smoking and in-cabin alcohol consumption is forbidden. Cabin cleaning and sheets changing are done before port arrival. Staterooms are available during the entire crossing (also during cleaning).
Cot beds (for toddlers up to 1 year of age and weight under 10 kg) are also available, as well as bed rails for kids - provided complimentary upon request.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, MS Anemos/Viking Rosella ship offers:
- (Deck 4) Lobby Area (Meeting Point, Smoking Room, Aula, Luggage Lockers, Ship Entrance / Exit).
- (Deck 5) Bar Voyage, Bar, Seating area for pets, Conference Baken, Luggage Lockers, Street Cafe, Jackpot Room, Aula, Reception (Information Desk, ATM/cash machine), Home & Lifestyle, Tax-Free Shop.
- (Deck 6) Quality Outlet & Kid's Corner, Bar Voyage (upper level) Bar / Cafe, Smoking Room, PAF Games, Cafe Seaside, Kid's Movie Corner & Kid's Area, A la carte La Rose, Cafe Servery, The Buffet.
- (Deck 7) Sun Deck (outdoor area)
- (Deck 8) Air Seats, Conference Rooms
- (Deck 9) Navigation Bridge
- On top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
Free wifi and Internet ("Viking Public" and "Public Internet") are available in designated areas - public spaces and passenger cabins, but not on car decks. The technology is based on a modern satellite system, but the speeds are still slower land-based WiFi and depending on weather conditions.
Onboard shops are tax-free and sell brand perfumes, cosmetics and skincare products, designer clothes and accessories, watches, sunglasses, fashion bags, sportswear, kids clothing, confectionery, packaged food and drinks (beers, premium spirits, and wines), gourmet sweets, toys, electronics and gadgets, Viking Line logoed merchandise. Among the premium brands available via onboard shopping are Dior, Tiffany, Sensai, Hugo Boss, Marc Jacobs, Lancome, Efva Attling, Calvin Klein, Paco Rabanne, Yves Saint Laurent, Armani, Biotherm, Clinique, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden, Norr, Bjorn Axen, Bjorn Borg, LEGO. Shopping promotions and package discounts are always offered.
Onboard entertainment is complimentary and includes themed shows with live performances by guest artists - music bands, singers, magicians, Swedish and international celebrities. On themed cruises are presented international cuisine specialties, holiday festivals and tributes to renown artists.
On all Viking Line ships, there is a Casino with Blackjack and Roulette tables, as well as slot machines (throughout the ship). Bingo games are offered on most ferries, with location and schedule listed in the ship's onboard program.
The Casual Dining restaurant serves lunch and dinner. The menu includes pizzas, pasta, steaks, hamburgers fresh-made salads, wines, cocktails, desserts, coffee and dessert drinks. Children under 12 dine at 1/2 portions (half-priced).
The Buffet restaurant offers buffet breakfast and a classic Scandinavian smorgasbord (multiple buffet-style hot and cold dishes) and international cuisine in the evening. The buffet meal price is inclusive also of wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee, tea. Alcohol (including premium wines) are at extra charge.
At the Cafe are also served breakfast, lunch, quick dinner, night snacks. The restaurant has several different food sections for salads, sandwiches, baked food, home-cooked food, desserts, coffee-hot drinks, beverages (soft drinks, beers, wines), Ice-creams, also Take Away station.
The Bar and Dancing lounge offers nightly trivia quizzes, live band music, karaoke, as well as drinks menu and light food menu (sandwiches, pastries, cakes, fresh-baked buns).
The Coffee Shop sells specialty coffees and high-quality teas with fresh-baked (on the ship) sweets and salty snacks. In the evenings, the Coffee Shop becomes a wine bar also hosting wine tastings.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Pets on the ship
Guide- and assisting dogs always travel for free and permitted to go anywhere on the ship, including the lounges and restaurants.
- Pet animals are allowed on all regular ferry crossings - except cruises.
- Animals are allowed in passenger cabins (not in the beds) only if the owner books the whole cabin. They are not allowed in restaurants (except service dogs).
- When outside the cabin, dogs must always be leashed. They can be walked only the Sun Deck.
- For each pet, there is a fee, which varies by ship/route.
On short crossings, animals are allowed to stay on car decks, but not left in the vehicles. These animals travel for free.
The engine room is on deck 1, and most crew-staff spaces (cabins, mess hall, bar lounge, dining room, brig/jail) are on decks 7-8. The Garage Deck (for cars, buses, trucks) is deck 3.
Car Deck 3 has a hydraulic platform that when lowered divides it into two (on 2 layers) to double the space for passenger vehicles.
Car decks are closed during the crossing. Visiting garage decks during the voyage is allowed only with the Captain's permission. Follows a list of car deck-related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The former shipowner Viking Line (fleet, 1959-founded, headquartered in Mariehamn, Aland Finland) serves the cargo and passenger shipping traffic between Sweden and Finland (via Aland Islands), Estonia and Poland.
Anemos ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Anemos ferryAdd Photo
Anemos ferry Wiki
The vessel Rosella (Wartsila Perno Shipyard/hull number 111181) was launched/floated out from drydock on August 14, 1979, delivered to SF Line (now VIKING LINE) on April 25, 1980, and entered service on May 23rd on the route Naantali-Kapellskar via Mariehamn Aland.
The cruiseferry's hull is ice-strengthened (classed "1A Super") allowing shipping operations in icy waters without icebreaking vessel assistance. The powerplant includes 4x Wartsila marine diesel engines (model Pielstick 12PC2-2V, total power output 17,7 MW). Propulsion consists of two shaft lines with fixed-pitch propellers.
In 1981-1988 and 1994-1997, the cruise ship served the Finland-Sweden route Turku-Mariehamn-Stockholm. During the winters of 1997-2003, Viking Rosella alternatively operated Stockholm-Aland cruises (to Mariehamn). In the period 2003-2008, it served the Finland-Estonia route Helsinki-Tallinn. Rosella's last operated for VIKING LINE route (Sweden-Aland Finland / Kapellskar-Mariehamn, crossing time 2,5 hours) was operated in the period 2008-2022.
On December 8, 2022, VIKING LINE confirmed the sale of the 42-year-old MS Rosella to Aegean Sealines Maritime Co (Greece). The sale price (EUR 11,25 million) reportedly generated an accounting profit of ~EUR 8,6 million (during 2023-Q1). Rosella's VIKING service ended on January 8, 2023, when the ship departed for the last time from Mariehamn. The new name (Anemos) and the new port of registry (Piraeus) were painted on the hull on Jan 13th, while the vessel's flag was changed on Jan 17th.
Viking Rosella was Finland-flagged (MMSI 230180000/registered in Port Helsinki). Anemos is currently Greece-flagged (MMSI 240483600) and registered in Piraeus. MS Anemos arrived in Greece (Port Perama, to the east of Piraeus/Athens) on February 7th.
The new shipowner (Aegean Speed Lines) is a 2005-founded Greek company (subsidiary of Eugenides Group) specializing in passenger shipping. The company was established as a joint venture between Sea Containers Ltd (1965-founded by James Blair Sherwood/1933-2020) and Eugenides Group (owned by Leonidas Dimitriades-Eugenides). In 2006, the Bermuda-incorporated Sea Containers sold its shares to Eugenides Group, and on Oct 16th filed for bankruptcy after failing to pay GBP 62M / US$115M bond due. In 2009 was founded SeaCo Ltd (major shareholders being the former Sea Containers Ltd bondholders plus two of its UK pension funds) to which were transferred the bankrupt company's maritime container leasing business.