MS Anton Chekhov Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Anton Chekhov
|Year built||1978 / Age : 41|
|Builder||Osterreichische Schiffswerften AG (Korneuburg, Austria)|
|Class||USSR Russian cruise ship (Project Q-056)|
|Ferry route / homeports||St Petersburg-Moscow-Rostov on Don|
|Operator||Orthodox Cruise Company|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||116 m / 381 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5400 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of MS Anton Chekhov
MS Anton Chekhov cruise ship ("теплоход Антон Чехов" круизный корабль) is a traditional 5-deck Russian river passenger ship of Project Q-056 (Anton Chekhov class). The vessel is currently owned by the Rostov-based company Doninturflot (Донинтурфлот) and operated under charter by Russia's largest cruisetour operator Orthodox Cruise Company. The ship is also often chartered by the Russian tour operator Imperial River Cruises.
MS Chekhov cruises on Volga River, between St Petersburg and Moscow, as well as on the route Moscow-Rostov-on-Don. The 10-day (southbound) cruise itinerary includes the ports St Petersburg (3 days with 2 overnights), Kizhi Island (Lake Onega), Goritsy, Uglich, Moscow (3 days with 2 overnights).
The riverboat is named after the Russian writer Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (1860-1904) and was extensively refurbished in 2015. From the same class is also the ship Lev Tolstoy (launched in May 1979).
Accommodations include 2 suites, 1 junior suite, 89 twins, 13 singles and 14 triples. All staterooms are outside (no interior cabins) and with large opening picture windows (except lower deck cabins with round-shaped non-opening portholes). Each cabin as amenities offer central air-conditioning (individually controlled heating and ventilation system), private en-suite bathrooms (WC, shower, wash basin), wardrobe, electronic safe (in the closet), mirrored vanity table (writing desk with chair), bedside cabinets and lights, mini-refrigerator, 220 V power sockets, flat TV, phone, radio.
- Suites (location Boat Deck) are 2-room cabins with separate living room-bedroom and large windows (opening). Suites feature sofa, 2 armchairs, low table, bedroom with King-size double bed, 2 wardrobes. Suites can accommodate up to 3 passengers via folding bed.
- Junior Suite (location Main Deck) is a large twin-double cabin with opening windows, 2 armchairs, low table, 2 twin beds (convertible to double).
- Single Cabins (location Upper Deck / Boat Deck) are 1-bed rooms with 1 fixed bed and an opening window.
- Twin / Double Cabins (location Main Deck / Upper Deck / Boat Deck) are 2-bed rooms with 2 fixed beds (non-convertible to double) and an opening window.
- Triple Cabins (location Main Deck) are 3-bed rooms with 2 fixed beds (lower, non-convertible to double), 1 bunk bed (upper) and 1 opening window. Triple cabins can be booked as doubles.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
Dining onboard MS Anton Chekhov features European cuisine sp[ecialties with elements of Russian traditional cooking. Breakfasts are buffet-style. Lunches include 1 meal (Russian soup). Dinner is waiter-served and with traditional Russian food menu. Waiters are dressed in traditional costumes.
Onboard entertainment is focused on pre-scheduled activities and live performances (classical and Russian folk music). Onboard lectures are themed on the country's history and culture. Port talks (by a professional tour guide) provide information on visited river ports, nearby towns, shore excursions and tours available for booking. Passengers also enjoy traditional Russian tea ceremonies, Russian language lessons, dancing and singing classes, vodka tasting, nesting doll (matryoshka) painting classes.
Among the boat's most prominent features is its indoor swimming pool with glass roof cover.
MS Anton Chekhov ship facilities include:
- (Main Deck) Medical Room (Infirmary), Sauna, Beauty Salon (hairdresser and barber services, massages), Ironing Room (laundry service), Lobby (Reception Desk, spiral staircase), Coffee-Tea Station
- (Upper Deck) Dining Room Restaurant
- (Upper Deck) Library / Reading Hall (books, travel guides, cards and board games)
- (Boat Deck aft) Indoor swimming pool with Coffee Bar, comfortable seating area, outdoor open-air terrace
- (Boat Deck forward) Music Hall (Lounge and Panorama Bar, dance floor, grand piano for live performances), Boutique (Souvenir Shop)
- (Sun Deck) Conference Hall and Bar (Dance Hall / Cinema / Meeting Room)
- (Sun Deck) Solarium, Fitness (outdoor covered area with Gym equipment), sundeck area with outdoor seating (deckchairs and 4-seat tables)
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
MS Anton Chekhov wiki
MS Chekhov (launched in June 1978) is the first of all 2 boats in the Chekhov-class (project Q-056) Russian river ships - with sistership MS Tolstoy (launched in May 1979). "Project Q-056" vessels have the following details:
- LOA length 116 m (379 ft),
- width 17 m (54 ft)
- DWT tonnage 2920 tons
- V-shaped hull (sea navigation capabilities)
- 5 decks (4 for passengers)
- Originally, each boat had capacity 250 passengers and 75 crew, all outside cabins with large windows, 1 restaurant, 2 bars, Sauna Room, Souvenir Shop, Lobby (Reception Desk with safe), 360-degree Promenade Deck (with outdoor seating).
- Powerplant includes three marine diesel engines (model "6ChRN 36/45 EG-60") with total power output 2 MW.
- Staterooms are single-double-triple (1-2-3-bed cabins), all fitted with private bathrooms.
- After reconstruction, to the ships were introduced larger cabins (including suites) and their capacity was reduced to improve travel comfort and safety.